shape
carat
color
clarity

is this diamond good?

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Hi. I just joined and bought a diamond from Brilliant earth 1.01ct, D color, super ideal cut, IF. medium to slightly thick girdle.
The only issue i am having is at one angle, almost directly above, the diamond reflects instead of shines.
It does have some good red and blue coming out of it, but that glare at the one angle just messes it up for me.

is this par for a good diamond? i bought a few regular diamonds in the past, but they always had an angle or two that didn't shine.
I guess I figured buying the highest quality lab diamond would be much better. it doesn't really seem that way.
thank you for you opinions.
The diagram looked like this:
1698688614631.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share the report?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, splinter7!
As Kim N asked: do you mind sharing the grading report number?
Looking at the picture that you posted, does this diamond have a steep (35° or more) crown angle paired with a steeper (40.9° or more) pavilion angle?
Table width around 57-59%?

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for your help.

i am not sure it came with a report. It's from Brilliant Earth.
Does this help?

View attachment 950636

View attachment 950637

There is also a video of the diamond, but I don't know how to get that into the thread here.

on the phone with them. will get the lab report number

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look bad at all. There's maybe just an area or two where I'd want to see an ASET image to make sure there's no leakage.

What was the price?

splinter7

Rough_Rock
3200 USD. It's ok, I just expected better i guess.
It doesn't look bad at all. There's maybe just an area or two where I'd want to see an ASET image to make sure there's no leakage.

What was the price?

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Table width 57% 34.3 Crown angle and 40.7 pavilion angle.
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, splinter7!
As Kim N asked: do you mind sharing the grading report number?
Looking at the picture that you posted, does this diamond have a steep (35° or more) crown angle paired with a steeper (40.9° or more) pavilion angle?
Table width around 57-59%?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

splinter7

Rough_Rock
That price is very high. Brilliant Earth is one of the more expensive vendors.

I would recommend something like this instead:

is there anything wrong with the one I have? or, did i get a good one...that's the important part.

i just got it in the mail. i am able to return it. not sure if I should. I went with brilliant earth after checking blue nile who had roughly the same price for the same diamond. i didn't go with a cheaper vendor as the ones that were popping up on google didn't have good reviews.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
is there anything wrong with the one I have? or, did i get a good one...that's the important part.

i just got it in the mail. i am able to return it. not sure if I should. I went with brilliant earth after checking blue nile who had roughly the same price for the same diamond. i didn't go with a cheaper vendor as the ones that were popping up on google didn't have good reviews.

It's a very good diamond, not the best of the best cut. Do you want to go through the effort of returning it to get a diamond closer to true super ideal cut? And save a good chunk of money in the meantime?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Return it...price is very high and if it's not wowing you now, then that will always be eating away at you.

For a budget cap of $3200, you can be at 1.5+ carats D IF!

You can safely relax the clarity to VS1 and the diamond will be just as clean to the eyes as any VVS or FL/IF. Almost all VS2 and many SI1, as well.

The benefit would be a much larger field of diamonds to choose from and the potential for huge cost savings if you want to keep the carat weight modestly close to the 1 carat mark.

If you want guaranteed pinnacle optical performance, then Whiteflash has a great assortment of D color LGD that fits your budget:

Last edited:

splinter7

Rough_Rock
It's a very good diamond, not the best of the best cut. Do you want to go through the effort of returning it to get a diamond closer to true super ideal cut? And save a good chunk of money in the meant

I think you may have convinced me.

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Return it...price is very high and if it's not wowing you now, then that will always be eating away at you.

hmmm....oh boy, let's see how this return goes.

I'm coming back for your advice in a bit...to pick a better one.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm....oh boy, let's see how this return goes.

I'm coming back for your advice in a bit...to pick a better one.

Just let us know your budget, minimum color/clarity, and desired size range.

splinter7

Rough_Rock

on the 1.57 you showed, it looks like it doesn't have the issue the one i just ordered had...the reflection on the table. that is cool. it doesn't seem to firey/sparkly. is that was you see?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
on the 1.57 you showed, it looks like it doesn't have the issue the one i just ordered had...the reflection on the table. that is cool. it doesn't seem to firey/sparkly. is that was you see?

Here's the vendor video for the 1.57 (link is from LooseGrownDiamond since many online sellers pull from the same virtual inventory feeds):

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Just let us know your budget, minimum color/clarity, and desired size range.

around 3k for the diamond. the adiamor site doesn't have rings i like too much.

The one Dejawiz suggested would be fine. I just want it to sparkle and not have anything bad about it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
around 3k for the diamond. the adiamor site doesn't have rings i like too much.

The one Dejawiz suggested would be fine. I just want it to sparkle and not have anything bad about it.

What setting style are you after? Any links or pictures? We can help you out with that, also. :)

splinter7

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz

what is the deal with whiteflash? are they different? i couldn't get exactly what i wanted there. it's a bit more pricey than Adiamor, but maybe similar to BE.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
the modern setting. https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...re-Engagement-Ring-Setting/18KYellowGold/1978

i just called them, they said the could do an 18k gold prong for an upcharge.

anything wrong with this ring?

Nothing wrong with this setting...note that it may end up being a slightly taller setting, with the diamond sitting higher off the finger.

If you want a little more lower profile, then maybe inquire about this one, set the diamond as low as possible, and 18k YG prongs.

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Nothing wrong with this setting...note that it may end up being a slightly taller setting, with the diamond sitting higher off the finger.

If you want a little more lower profile, then maybe inquire about this one, set the diamond as low as possible, and 18k YG prongs.

i like that. i don't need the 6 prong, right?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz

what is the deal with whiteflash? are they different? i couldn't get exactly what i wanted there. it's a bit more pricey than Adiamor, but maybe similar to BE.

Whiteflash is a premium diamond seller, both natural grown and lab grown. They are extremely selective in the diamonds that they choose for their vault and each diamond gets out through the wringer of assessments.
Their Valeria 6 prong or Vatche U113 would probably be the appealing settings for what you are looking for.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
i like that. i don't need the 6 prong, right?

Don't need it, but I recommend it for security of the diamond... especially if you are going to pay the upcharge for D IF.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're willing to go down to VVS1, I wouldn't hesitate to go for one of Whiteflash's precision lab diamonds. They will be some of the best cut diamonds in the business.

splinter7

Rough_Rock
If you're willing to go down to VVS1, I wouldn't hesitate to go for one of Whiteflash's precision lab diamonds. They will be some of the best cut diamonds in the business.

so, the whiteflash videos have the same problem as the diamond i just got from BE has, but worse. if you set the video to brillance, you will see 3 or 4 times that the light dims or goes flat. it was on all of the diamonds i looked at. That is what i want to avoid.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so, the whiteflash videos have the same problem as the diamond i just got from BE has, but worse. if you set the video to brillance, you will see 3 or 4 times that the light dims or goes flat. it was on all of the diamonds i looked at. That is what i want to avoid.

Can you share a screenshot of what you mean in one of the Whiteflash videos? The facets are turning on and off as the diamond turns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results