shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this big enough? (New sapphire)

I thought this article was really on-point for your situation, Mjay. I'd give it a thorough read, and then discuss it with David. Hope this helps!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I thought this article was really on-point for your situation, Mjay. I'd give it a thorough read, and then discuss it with David. Hope this helps!

Great read! Thank you! I’m planning on sending him an email tomorrow night. Trying to figure out my game plan first so this is super helpful.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been meaning to update but life has been so busy. I have decided to go with the larger halo! Just as @Mrsz1ppy stated, “Go big or go home!” I was pretty sure that was the direction I was going to go in the first place, but after seeing the smaller halo; I felt torn since it was a more tasteful size on my finger. When @Rfisher posted the visual of the prongs refined it solidified my want for the larger halo. I prefer the proportions on the larger halo. I’m confident in my decision. I do need help with a few nitpicky details though.

1- I always seem to have shank width issues. The shank is currently 2.5mm wide at the bottom and increases. 2mm thick. It still doesn’t feel substantial enough. I’m wondering if it’s just because I’m handling a wax model or if I should bump it up a bit? I want it to be substantial but still well proportioned.

2- spinning. My ring size is technically a 5 but I get all my rings in 5.25 because I have large knuckles and my fingers fluctuate a lot with the weather. We have had an abnormal winter here and almost all of my rings are spinning like crazy. This wax model feels very loose right now and is spinning. I’m nervous to size down. I’m wondering if I should add sizing beads? Anyone have thoughts or experiences with that? Or perhaps bulking up the shank would help? Maybe the open basket is contributing to why it’s fitting loosely?

3- the overall design is exactly what I asked for and I LOVE the look but I feel like the ring is kind of teeter tottering on my finger. I’m trying to figure out what is causing it. Is it cut to high where I circled in black or is it because the ring is to loose.

I think it’s going to be a very top heavy ring given its size and you can’t really counterbalance that without a super wide band. I have sizing beads on most of my rings to keep them from turning. I always go up a 1/4 size in order to make room for the beads. You want to err too big and not too small so I would keep it at a 5.25 and add the beads.

It’s also possible that the design could be lowered slightly so it’s not as tall but even then it will be a top heavy ring. I always ask for low profile because I don’t like the feel of a ring that sticks up high.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s going to be a very top heavy ring given its size and you can’t really counterbalance that without a super wide band. I have sizing beads on most of my rings to keep them from turning. I always go up a 1/4 size in order to make room for the beads. You want to err too big and not too small so I would keep it at a 5.25 and add the beads.

It’s also possible that the design could be lowered slightly so it’s not as tall but even then it will be a top heavy ring. I always ask for low profile because I don’t like the feel of a ring that sticks up high.

Yep! That’s what I’m thinking. It’s probably pretty much unavoidable with such a large ring on my smallish finger. It’s actually as low as it can go due to the depth of the sapphire. I’m glad to hear you have success with sizing beads! I’m definitely going to see what David says about the sizing beads.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind sharing, what are the dimensions of your beautiful sapphire?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Finally did a SMTB post! I don’t know how to link. Thread 'Big orange perfection! My massive orange sapphire ring'

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finally did a SMTB post! I don’t know how to link. Thread 'Big orange perfection! My massive orange sapphire ring'

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:appl:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for linking! I just realized what you did there! I feel like such a ding dong now. I need more sleep.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a few more super zoomed in pictures where you can see the inclusions and a picture next to platinum and a picture next to yellow gold. Again the inclusions are very difficult to spot with the naked eye but my camera captured them well on zoom. All soft indoor lighting. It’s such a fun stone to look at. AE07D61E-08CD-410D-9C79-45D1FD1383CE.jpeg

AGL would give the clarity rating of LI2, which is REALLY good. Removing the tiny inclusions in this stone would make it look identical to a synthetic which I find boring: look at in once and I’m good. Enjoy your juicy, definitely eye clean, orange sapphire :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results