shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this big enough? (New sapphire)

The cut and color are just drool-worthy. :drool: It will be like a little (huge) sun on your finger.

I know what you mean about opting for a smaller halo, since it doesn't need the extra real estate. But, man, I just love a large floral. I have zero issue with XL pieces, as I come from a Native American jewelry background. But it will all be a matter of what you're comfortable with. The possibilities are endless!

P.S. I actually wore a double finger ring today. lol

download (28).jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, I'm so dense sometimes... is this the JTV stone?

Are they legit? I just poked around their site and they only provide one photo and two (!) dimensions (L x W).

And all of their blue sapphires are exactly the same color?! This is kind of a pet peeve of mine for saturation "turned up to 11." (This is not my price-point -- just a swath uninterrupted by pinks, etc.)

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.34.26 PM.png

But it sounds like you have had good luck with them, @Autumn in New England?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, what an amazing stone!

Tbh, It's so big that most people will not even think it's a real gemstone or think it's something like Citrine (not that it looks like one, but normies don't know).

Score!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
The cut and color are just drool-worthy. :drool: It will be like a little (huge) sun on your finger.

I know what you mean about opting for a smaller halo, since it doesn't need the extra real estate. But, man, I just love a large floral. I have zero issue with XL pieces, as I come from a Native American jewelry background. But it will all be a matter of what you're comfortable with. The possibilities are endless!

P.S. I actually wore a double finger ring today. lol

download (28).jpg

Omg I love this! So so fun! Go big or go home right!? It’s not like I’m going to be wearing it every day. I have plenty of petite pieces so I think it’s time for a door knocker.

Are they legit? I just poked around their site and they only provide one photo and two (!) dimensions (L x W).

And all of their blue sapphires are exactly the same color?! This is kind of a pet peeve of mine for saturation "turned up to 11." (This is not my price-point -- just a swath uninterrupted by pinks, etc.)

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.34.26 PM.png

But it sounds like you have had good luck with them, @Autumn in New England?

thismuchistrue.gif
They get away with it because they're a "volume" retailer with a good return policy. There's a nearly $1M emerald-cut blue sapphire on there I've been drooling over for months. And it has one lightbox photo.
Idunno1.gif
It does come with 2 certs this time (which they rarely offer), but they don't actually show them. I guess you have to ask. All that aside though, I have had good luck with them! And, in my experience, the gems always look better in person. Surprising, perhaps, but true (at least in my case). I got my 3.5ct. Mahenge from them, which had previously been a part of the "Somewhere in the Rainbow" private collection. It came uncertified. But you know there's no way it had not been certified over the years... JTV just rarely includes certs with purchases. Odd, for sure, but it doesn't seem to hamper them. Their concierge service is pretty awesome though, as you can imagine, because they can find anything anywhere at any time and price point because of their vast network. That's how I found my 5.5ct. padparadscha!

Off-topic, but I love the ring. With two finger widths to work with, you can really get creative. Is it comfortable to wear?

Good question! I type all day, and don't really seem to notice it. The ring stays put and doesn't tend to interfere with daily activities. I have several two finger rings, so I'm used to the sensation. It may take some getting used to for someone not accustomed to it though. I don't want to derail Mjay's thread, but here are a couple more ring looks I love. As I've said before, this is the jewelry I wear day-to-day (Native American and boho). It was my first love, Star!

Capture645378960.jpg

Capturet678p0pyhm.jpg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to reach out to DK to get started on a CAD for this guy. It’s off to GIA on Tuesday and if I get a good report I think I’m going to have it sent directly to DK. Right now I’m thinking of starting with a 14 diamond halo (OEC) with tiny claw prongs. I need help with two things.

1- I always struggle with metal. I think it looks better next to platinum but I want opinions. So all platinum, all 18k yellow, or platinum with the claw prongs being 18k yellow. What do you guys think?

2- any suggestions for side profile? I want something thick. I don’t want the traditional princess Diana ballerina type look. I’ll attach an inspiration for side profile (ignore the massive sugarloaf) but would love suggestions.

130C50E1-6B2B-4217-9494-C4239D2F1FE8.jpeg 38E932B4-071D-45FB-9C8B-AD23532A7E20.jpeg

Attachments

• AC93B2E0-81FB-4F8D-8A18-ADB0894DB237.jpeg
    AC93B2E0-81FB-4F8D-8A18-ADB0894DB237.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 7
  • C68D9FF5-C77F-4139-9D26-3F9F23C9B376.jpeg
    C68D9FF5-C77F-4139-9D26-3F9F23C9B376.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 7
  • F1936522-A000-4820-AE95-0B48C0BFEA9D.png
    F1936522-A000-4820-AE95-0B48C0BFEA9D.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 8

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
That's the kind of stone that's born to be married to yellow gold.

I'd still set it in white. :lol:

Thank you! It’s such a hard decision. I’m leaning towards platinum but making the claw prongs around the stone 18k yellow. I’m horrible at choosing metals

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Metal colour: this little sapphire is a similar colour to yours. I feel that the 18K yellow gold doesn't give the contrast I'd hoped for. (Against that, maybe subtle contrast is a good thing...) So I'd suggest white for your stone.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Metal colour: this little sapphire is a similar colour to yours. I feel that the 18K yellow gold doesn't give the contrast I'd hoped for. (Against that, maybe subtle contrast is a good thing...) So I'd suggest white for your stone.

Thank you! This is very helpful!

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Since the yellow gold doesn't have great contrast against your stone, my vote is for yg prongs and halo stones set in platinum to make the internal prongs look more invisible. Such a happy stone, hope it comes back from GIA with the result we're all hoping for!

I, too, vote platinum or white gold!! And don't worry about having a generous gallery, as this stone will absolutely require one at 9mm deep. :mrgreen2:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Since the yellow gold doesn't have great contrast against your stone, my vote is for yg prongs and halo stones set in platinum to make the internal prongs look more invisible. Such a happy stone, hope it comes back from GIA with the result we're all hoping for!

Like this right? That’s what I’m leaning towards E24CA112-3BF0-4CEE-A93E-A97F5FC79A5A.jpeg

Thank you! Fingers crossed! I’m pretty confident that I will so I’m proceeding with designing the setting.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes!!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to update that my stone is currently at GIA! It’s been there for a few days now and even though I know it will probably take about 2 weeks to grade I keep checking for results. Anxiety is high! I will be devastated if it comes back BE.

Anyways, my main reason for reviving my thread is that I received a quote for my setting. I was ready to set it asap but the quote was much higher than expected. My collection consists of mostly solitaires so I’m just not up to date with the costs of a halo setting. I think it is probably a very reasonable quote. I know that material costs are high right now and this is a hefty platinum ring. The weight of the setting is almost double the weight of my most recent project and obviously since my sapphire is so large the diamonds in the halo will be quite a bit larger than I’m used to. Anyways the quote was over 5k. I was expecting around 4K so I was way off. I have since reached out to a few other reputable jewelers for quotes and am waiting to hear back. I will most likely just go for it but I just want to do my due diligence to compare prices so I can feel better about the cost. Anyways, if anyone has recently done a large halo ring (cast not hand forged) and is willing to share a few details (metal type and weight, melee size, ballpark price) I would really appreciate it. I can also post my LT link if you’d rather email me the info vs publicly post. <a href="http://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-for-mjay-on-ps;44987">Contact for MJAY on PS on Loupe Troop</a>

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just stopped by to say I agree with platinum to give it the "high jewelry" look it deserves -- and I think the YG claw prongs would be lovely.

I have not made that style of ring. The last things I was quoted were ~ 20% higher than pre/early pandemic.

That's a big number but quoting a mounting for a stone like this is a bit like getting a service call to your toney zip code -- there is some "they can afford it" mental math built in...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha title is a joke! I definitely think it is big enough- perhaps a bit to large to be honest. Anyways, feel free to ignore my annoying story and skip to the pics!

I just received this almost 14 ct orange Ceylon sapphire today. It looked like more of a yellow orange in the videos and photos but it’s very orange in hand. In all honesty I got very little play time today but I will have a much better window of time to assess it tomorrow. I want to decide whether I’m keeping it or not asap so I can get it out to GIA. According to the vendor it is heat only no diffusion but I definitely want GIA confirmation that it isn’t diffused. I plan to set it in a halo of OEC diamonds. I was originally looking for around 5 cts when this caught my eye.

The positive:
-it’s massive!
-It knocked my socks off the second I opened it!
-I don’t feel that it needs to be recut. I was expecting to have to recut it but the cut looks fine in my eyes.
-The color makes me happy
- I love the glow (it is slightly silky)

The negative:
The only negative is that it does have eye visible inclusions. You can see the inclusions in my zoomed in pictures. I actually didn’t notice the inclusions until I was looking back at my photos. They are visible in my zoomed in photos but are difficult to spot irl. They are almost impossible to spot in indoor lighting and honestly you really have to be looking for them super close up when looking with your naked eye in any lighting I’ve observed so far. I knew that there was an inclusion in pavilion but I wasn’t expecting these few face up. The vendor said it was eye clean. I don’t disagree with them as it definitely is unless you have eagle eyes. They were not visible in the videos. No one would ever notice them irl unless they are actively looking for them but there are there. I have to decide if I can be ok with it or if I’d rather have a more flawless but smaller stone.

My thoughts right now are that I absolutely love the stone! The inclusions do bother me a slight bit because I wasn’t expecting them. I’m really having a lot of trouble researching prices right now because they seem to be all over the place. When I originally purchased I thought I got a great deal but after a night of overthinking I thought maybe if I search direct sources or even find something that needs to be re-cut on eBay maybe i can find a similar sized stone at a better deal. I honestly do feel an instant attachment to the stone and can’t imagine sending it back. I’m sure my decision will be solidified after I play with it tomorrow. Right now I’m 90 percent on keeping it.

D7C52EC1-E9B6-47DC-BC09-8C11DDCEECDC.jpeg

don_jon_3008.jpg

GIA results are in!!!!!
HEAT ONLY!!!!
No diffusion!!!!

I’m soooo relieved!!!

Mjay, if this were from a seller I hadn't done business with, I would have bet my life it was diffused (especially for that price). But my certs have always confirmed JTV's treatment disclosures, so I just had a really good feeling about this one. I am SO very thrilled for you!! What a score... but what a beauty. I can't wait to see her "dressed." Happy dance!!!!!!!!!!
runaround1.gif

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Mjay, if this were from a seller I hadn't done business with, I would have bet my life it was diffused (especially for that price). But my certs have always confirmed JTV's treatment disclosures, so I just had a really good feeling about this one. I am SO very thrilled for you!! What a score... but what a beauty. I can't wait to see her "dressed." Happy dance!!!!!!!!!!
runaround1.gif

Agreed! I was very skeptical when purchasing but it all worked out! I’m absolutely thrilled. I’m debating if I should send it directly to DK or sit on it for a month or two. I want to make sure I don’t let my excitement rush the setting process. Caysie ghosted me after I asked for definitive melee size (no surprise there based on other PS experiences)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would do a white metal. I would be careful about the amount of metal you use and also I think only 14 diamonds will be quite a large halo - possibly rendering the ring functionally unwearable. Just talking from experience I have 2 similar ct stones one in an airy white gold one in a substantial platinum and the platinum and the weight is extremely noticeable.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I would do a white metal. I would be careful about the amount of metal you use and also I think only 14 diamonds will be quite a large halo - possibly rendering the ring functionally unwearable. Just talking from experience I have 2 similar ct stones one in an airy white gold one in a substantial platinum and the platinum and the weight is extremely noticeable.

Thank you! This is helpful. It will be in platinum. I was originally planning on having it shipped straight to DK but now I’m debating. I might just have it shipped back to me so I can think a bit more on the setting. DK mentioned a smaller halo to cut costs. I was pretty set on the 14 stones but now I’m getting cold feet.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! This is helpful. It will be in platinum. I was originally planning on having it shipped straight to DK but now I’m debating. I might just have it shipped back to me so I can think a bit more on the setting. DK mentioned a smaller halo to cut costs. I was pretty set on the 14 stones but now I’m getting cold feet.

The inspo ring is gorgeous but personally, I wouldn't have much (or any) occasion to wear something so grand. JMO though because of course you might, or you might just choose to wear it for more than on formal occasions.

Another thought is to consider having it be convertible from ring to pendant.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a 12.2x10 oval with a graduated but ultimately large halo- 14 stones and a 12.7x11.6 cushion- a princess Diana style with 18 stones
Just so you know that stone is 10.x cts and less than 1ct of diamonds in the halo. With the platinum setting it came in over 15 grams. The ring size is 7.5 and 8 respectively.
5CBB8457-35F6-46AF-9DBF-C5438A62948A.jpeg
4FFC57BD-7BB5-4B77-A4D7-AB78A4A70D74.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results