shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a paraiba?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.atggems.com/Paraiba.htm ?

The AGTA certificate on the website says so. I had always thought that they are supposed to be neony and pricier? The reason I am asking is because I saw similar tourmalines at my jeweler''s (but much better clarity and cut) and according to my jeweler, the cutter that consigned the tourmalines to her says they are from Paraiba in Brazil.

My jeweler also showed me an oval (approx 6 ct and according to her cutter, also from Paraiba in Brazil) that is much nicer in terms of colour than the one shown in the atg website and the colour looks like the green tourmalines set in a tiffany necklace that was on one of the blue books (I can''t seem to find a picture of it). How much should I expect to pay for a 6ct green tourmaline?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
The colour is very similar to the cushion green tourmaline posted by MissRocks, except that the oval has a more intense colour and a hint more blue.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 12:48:07 PM
Author:simplysplendid

The AGTA certificate on the website says so. I had always thought that they are supposed to be neony and pricier? The reason I am asking is because I saw similar tourmalines at my jeweler''s (but much better clarity and cut) and according to my jeweler, the cutter that consigned the tourmalines to her says they are from Paraiba in Brazil.

My jeweler also showed me an oval (approx 6 ct and according to her cutter, also from Paraiba in Brazil) that is much nicer in terms of colour than the one shown in the atg website and the colour looks like the green tourmalines set in a tiffany necklace that was on one of the blue books (I can''t seem to find a picture of it). How much should I expect to pay for a 6ct green tourmaline?
Exactly... this is a nice tourmaline - probably cupriferous and from Paraíb, but not a screamer, and it''s already priced 3x what a non-Paraíba tourmaline would get. If it were the neon-blue for which paraiba tourmaline are famous, it would be way more, at over 5ct.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

First of all, not all tourmaline from Paraiba is Paraiba (aka cuprian) Tourmaline and not all Paraiba (aka cuprian) tourmaline is from Brazil.

Not all cuprians are fantastic cuprians, just like not all sapphires are fantastic. They can be, though...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it Paraiba in the sense it's a glowing neon stone reminiscent of the fine Paraiba tourmalines first discovered in Brazil - no.

Is it Paraiba in the sense that it has copper in it and it's a bluish green tourmaline and has a lab report stating so - yes.

If this stone has a monetary premium on it because it's paraiba, I wouldn't buy it. If it doesn't, and you like the stone, get it for what it's worth as far as that color is concerned.

With tourmaline, just becasuse a stone has copper in it doesn't mean it's a fantastic neon color. Likewise, I've seen fantastic neon tourmalines that have no copper in them whatsoever.

Look at the top of page 30 in the colored gemstones/rings eyecandy sticky thread. That stone has no copper, but I would take it over 99% of the copper bearing tourmalines on the market today.

ETA: I see it was sold. I think it was overpriced to the tilt, unless my monitor is not giving me a reasonably accurate color.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone, now I know more about paraibas. I had always thought that all paraibas are neony and pricey.
Anyway, my jeweler has quoted me approx USD3500 for the whole stone (more than 6ct) for a blue green tourmaline from Paraiba, no inclusion. Not neony but a little glowy. Is this too much? I will try to find a picture of the tiffany pictures, the tourmaline looks just like those on the tiffany blue book.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
i have been following the paraiba debate for several years-if the origin of the stone is not paraiba, brazil-it is not to be considered paraiba tourmaline. it is a paraiba-like tourmaline, or african/mozambique tourmaline. i have been told this by many apprs. when i was buying my stones. the company or person you buy from should be able to furnish you with a certificate or origin or a paper by a gem company that will stand by their sale to you. their are some gem dealers who are heating the african stuff with pretty good results but they are stating that you are buying mozambique cuprian tourmaline. i was told that the brazillian tourmaline was said to have a certain amount of gold within the stone along with copper-thus getting the windex-blue or neon blue/green color associated with the early brazillian stones. a type 3 stone some inclusions are acceptable and usually dont detract from the value-real paraiba is anywhere from 15-65 thousand per/ct. the african is about half that or less depending on the stone-hopes this helps a little...

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
authentic paraiba tourmaline-is nicer in person...

forms sleeper 329.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Steve, and that is a gorgeous looking pendant...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to see very pricey paraibas, check out the videos on paraibainternational or palagems and cherrypicked.com. I think Pala has nicer merchandise IMHO. Unfortunately, I think since the television shopping channels have given so much hype to any tourmaline with copper, many people think any copper bearing tourmaline would cost thousands per carat, and that is simply not true.

Just like with any species of gemstone, you can find copper bearing tourmalines in any price range, and even Brazilian paraibas in any price range. There are some ugly copper bearing Brazilian paraibas, but people think they can charge a fortune because they''re Brazilian and copper bearing and blue.

For me, it''s all about the color, and I don''t care if the stone came from Brazil, Mozambique.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ask yourself the following questions whenever buying a blue/green tourmaline that costs a substantial amount per carat, and $583/ct is a lot for your average blue/green tourmaline per carat.

Does it have a substantial grey mask?

Can it easily be confused with the following gems? blue zircon, boring blue/green aquamarine (although there are some fine aquas on the market that look like tourmalines, but they''re pricey), blue topaz.

Does it go murky or extinct in certain lighting?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, I would not get it, or at least not for that price.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Tourmaline_Lover, those are good guidelines. I am still looking for a picture of the green tourmalines on the tiffany blue book. I have the book but not a soft copy. A picture speaks a thousand words.. running off to look for it now.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi tourmaline_lover, I still haven''t found a picture of the blue book with the blue-green tourmaline on it. My jeweler did not say it is a copper bearing tourmaline but confirmed with the cutter that it is a green tourmaline from Paraiba. I couldn''t take my mind off that blue-green tourmaline from my jeweler so I had to have it. I am having it set in platinum halo with a split shank and should be getting it either next or the following week.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I''ll call a cuprite but not a paraiba. As you can see, the AGTA cert was done in 2005 before the term "paraiba" was fully defined by the trade. At that time, any tourmaline containing copper could be called a paraiba even though it isn''t neon. Since then, only stones that glow can be called a paraiba and even that is under debate - many only consider it a paraiba only if it comes from the original Brazilian mine AND glows.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about Paraiba - but nobody seem to question the claimed cost of the AGTA cert that cost over $500. I have personally sent my alexandrite to AGTA and it costed about $160 - $170.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of an amazing paraiba that I saw at Kaufmann de Suisse in NYC. It was much more neony [is that a word] in real life. I don''t remember the specs. I want to say that the weight was in the mid teens and the price was well north of $50k but still in 5 figures.

KdS1 paraiba.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DB, is that an original Brazilian paraiba?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:14:40 PM
Author: Chrono
DB, is that an original Brazilian paraiba?
Yes.

It was funny but I had never seen/heard of a paraiba tourmaline before we wandered by that window. It drew us in [especially DH!]. The price blew me away! LOL! I thought all tourmalines were about the same! What did I know!

I got the full tutorial on the Brazil mines, etc. [along with the hauling out of certs, etc.]. They had another slightly smaller paraiba but it was nowhere near as spectacular colorwise as this one.

Wonder if they still have it . . . I should call . . . sigh . . .

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget has the most gorgeous paraiba ring ever! I really hope she doen''t mind if I post it.

WidgetsTourm0222.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
OMG that color - where are my sun glasses?
10.gif

Date: 2/27/2009 10:32:09 PM
Author: Catmom
Widget has the most gorgeous paraiba ring ever! I really hope she doen''t mind if I post it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 11:43:14 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Swoon......
WOW!! I had no idea she had one, good for her!!! That''s TDF, for sure..
30.gif
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 10:12:50 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Here is a pic of an amazing paraiba that I saw at Kaufmann de Suisse in NYC. It was much more neony [is that a word] in real life. I don''t remember the specs. I want to say that the weight was in the mid teens and the price was well north of $50k but still in 5 figures.
Now THAT''s a PARAIBA!!!
30.gif
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s some other pictures of it floating around PS. It was originally a purple stone and Gene of Precisiongem faceted it, and heated it, and it turned windex blue. Most paraiba start out a different color and need to be heated to bring out the neon blue/green. It is sitting in a Leon setting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2009 3:31:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If you want to see very pricey paraibas, check out the videos on paraibainternational or palagems and cherrypicked.com. I think Pala has nicer merchandise IMHO. Unfortunately, I think since the television shopping channels have given so much hype to any tourmaline with copper, many people think any copper bearing tourmaline would cost thousands per carat, and that is simply not true.

Just like with any species of gemstone, you can find copper bearing tourmalines in any price range, and even Brazilian paraibas in any price range. There are some ugly copper bearing Brazilian paraibas, but people think they can charge a fortune because they''re Brazilian and copper bearing and blue.

For me, it''s all about the color, and I don''t care if the stone came from Brazil, Mozambique.
Ditto. I''d just add glow to that as well!

There''s a lot of snobbery about the Brazil/Mozambique argument and chemical testing has been unable to find major differences between the two - so I don''t care about location IF the gemstone fits what I''m looking for.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True,
Widget's paraiba is from Mozambique and it's gorgeous, and there are some nice Nigerian goods as well.

Supposedly, the top Brazilian ones are the most neon though. The one that DB posted above is textbook Brazilian top notch material. You don't see that everyday, and it's very rare. What is super rare is if you can fnd them unheated.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DB,
I've looked at Kaufman's Paraibas. Believe it or not, there's even better Brazilian material out there.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 11:18:08 AM
Author: Harriet
DB,

I''ve looked at Kaufman''s Paraibas. Believe it or not, there''s even better Brazilian material out there.
Wow, where should I be looking? The only great one I''ve seen was the one at KdS.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. When will you be in NY next? I can''t tell you in public (my dealer will kill me).

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 11:32:56 AM
Author: Harriet
Ugh. When will you be in NY next? I can''t tell you in public (my dealer will kill me).
I don''t know. I have no immediate plans. Perhaps I need to make arrangements!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results