shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a paraiba?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha. Btw, did you deal with Charles? I had the impression that his Paraibas are African.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 11:44:05 AM
Author: Harriet
Haha. Btw, did you deal with Charles? I had the impression that his Paraibas are African.
Yes.
I was under the impression that this one was from Brazil. We were in NYC looking at larger diamonds so the paraiba was an aside. I remember the specs on most of the diamonds but the paraiba detail went in one ear and out the other so I can''t say for sure! LOL!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:12:50 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Here is a pic of an amazing paraiba that I saw at Kaufmann de Suisse in NYC. It was much more neony [is that a word] in real life. I don''t remember the specs. I want to say that the weight was in the mid teens and the price was well north of $50k but still in 5 figures.
That paraiba is tdf!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

I was in Brazil at the time of the original Paraiba strike. The material found at Sao Jose da Batalha was of many colors. There were greens like the one posted, along with inky dark greenish blues that looked like Thai sapphire, reds and purples. The one that became the defining hue, variously called Windex, electric, neon or my preference, Caribbean Blue is like Widget''s, a pure highly saturated blue to slightly greenish-blue hue.

Forget the certificate! The issue is not "is it copper bearing, i.e. cuprian" the question is "is it beautiful." Attached is a lovely Mozambique cuprian tourmaline from my good friend Gene at Precision Gem that embodies close to the perfect hue, saturation and tone.

469large.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KdS%20paraiba.jpg

How about a picture instead of the stats.....

lauraanntipka

Rough_Rock
Paraibas can only be from Paraiba Brazil, Mozambique Africa or Nigeria. Those are the only 3 mines which the copper deposits (to my research knowledge) have ever been found which create the "glow". I have bought many of these stones in all shades and from all mines. The Nigerians are definately lighter blue than the others. The hardest part is trying to buy a real one! I always buy a stone with documentation-some shakey but some GIA. Mostly you can tell when you get it if you hold it under a table and it glows is just a general quick test. I hope these become a good investment as people say they will since I''ve been collecting them!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results