shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good stone??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.51
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Shape: Asscher Style

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depth: 68.7%
Table: 64%
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culet: N
Girdle: TK
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.3x6.3x4.33
$9700
6.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price is not out of this world, but, even the least involved search (a 5 second run of the engine on the first page here) revealed some choices. The stone you have is not bad at all: quite on the contrary. It seems that this is a square emerald cut with decent depth and a desirable cut (smaller table, at least, in absence of more detail). Your stone is no bargain (which F color would?) and going for lower clarity is something I would consider but would probably demand some more time and a leap of faith, even though there are plenty of eye clean SI, step cuts out there. I should say that those EX-EX symetry and polish by no means make any spectacular difference in the appearance of the stone: anything down to 'Good-Good' would do just as fine. Things like crown hight make much more of a difference in appearence (and possibly light return, although there are no hard numbers I could cite for this cut). In conclusion, these Ex-Ex would not make a decisive argument for me in favor of this particular stone, but all the specs (price included) seem rather good.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The stone isn't exactly cheap, but still quite well priced... Can you bargain a little?
That said, the cut looks very promising! Can you get a Sarin and/or an IdealScope image?
1.gif
1.gif

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
What would be considered a good bargain on this diamond?? I do have some room for movement on the price. So what would you consider a good deal??

Thanks!!

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
how does $9400 sound??

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
technically speaking, the stone that you describe isn't an asscher, but rather an square emerald cut.

...not that that is bad though!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
also, excellent symmetry is particularly important in any "geometric" shape...the lack of symmetry on emerald cuts, square emerald cuts, and asscher cuts are exaggerated bye the cut corners, and step cutting...particularly if the opposing corners and lateral corners are not very symmetrical.

all of the is further exaggerated by the prongs that hold the stone in the mounting. there are times when you might not notice how bad the symmetry is until the stone has already been mounted...

been there and done that!

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/16/2003 3:32:51 PM rocks wrote:

also, excellent symmetry is particularly important in any 'geometric' shape...the lack of symmetry on emerald cuts, square emerald cuts, and asscher cuts are exaggerated bye the cut corners, and step cutting...particularly if the opposing corners and lateral corners are not very symmetrical.

all of the is further exaggerated by the prongs that hold the stone in the mounting. there are times when you might not notice how bad the symmetry is until the stone has already been mounted...

been there and done that!----------------

Huh?? From the measurements and the GIA report the stone looks perfectly square which is what and asscher is supposed to be. and I know I know this is a generic asscher not a "Royal Asscher" and yes I know the difference 16 facets and about 50% in price. But will someone tell me if this is a good price for this stone or is it even reasonable??

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it isn't an asscher cut of any kind. the table is too big. that said, assuming that the crown angles are right, it could be a really beautiful square emerald cut....which by the way...i love!

also, you are paying for the ex/ex, but with emerald cuts, as i said, paying for ex/ex or vg/vg or any combination of the aformentioned is worthwhile.

good luck!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
also, to make you feel better, if you were to compare the stone that you cited to those in the search, soley by the numbers, your stone would get superior marks, and would cost significantly more.

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/16/2003 9:05:35 PM rocks wrote:

it isn't an asscher cut of any kind. the table is too big. that said, assuming that the crown angles are right, it could be a really beautiful square emerald cut....which by the way...i love!

also, you are paying for the ex/ex, but with emerald cuts, as i said, paying for ex/ex or vg/vg or any combination of the aformentioned is worthwhile.

good luck!
----------------

Funny of all the generic asschers I see listed it has one of the smaller tables listed. If you are just a purist fine!! I don't know if you just like to burst peoples bubbles or what but I was kinda looking for someelse opinion as yours has been stated enough in this thread already thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results