shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond?

Addy

Rough_Rock
Looking at this diamond.. what do you think?

Attachments

• 3ED620F7-F9FC-4D93-A89C-5BA91CA4ECAC.jpeg
    3ED620F7-F9FC-4D93-A89C-5BA91CA4ECAC.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 29
  • D90E269B-37EB-4FE0-BBAB-AA61C40BA856.jpeg
    D90E269B-37EB-4FE0-BBAB-AA61C40BA856.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 246360B4-18A5-4542-9C5F-10856ED76E9F.jpeg
    246360B4-18A5-4542-9C5F-10856ED76E9F.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you can provide the proportions, or an image of the lab report itself, or the # of the report then people can give you their assessment. Also, run it through the HCA tool to see how its angles work together (you will need the data off the report).

Addy

Rough_Rock
If you can provide the proportions, or an image of the lab report itself, or the # of the report then people can give you their assessment. Also, run it through the HCA tool to see how its angles work together (you will need the data off the report).

Attachments

• 80C22277-4234-4A38-ADF1-4EF76EDA7F37.jpeg
    80C22277-4234-4A38-ADF1-4EF76EDA7F37.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 22

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Is this from an AGS report?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The #s all look within range but you should run through the HCA tool on this website to see how the angles work together. See what that gives you, hopefully a score of 2 or less. Do you have any images of the stone?

Addy

Rough_Rock
The #s all look within range but you should run through the HCA tool on this website to see how the angles work together. See what that gives you, hopefully a score of 2 or less. Do you have any images of the stone?

Addy

Rough_Rock
It gave me a score of 0.8
I only have the picture on the report which looks nothing like the picture on James Allen but as long as it’s not mediocre I don’t care.

Attachments

• 89A14085-456E-4F74-BF6D-3CAF51BE56F4.jpeg
    89A14085-456E-4F74-BF6D-3CAF51BE56F4.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 20

Addy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help you are awesome!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
That photo doesn't help. Did you run the #s through the HCA? At the top of this page, click on TOOLS and pick HCA from the drop down menu. You should ask if they have other images for you to see. Also, you shouldn't go into this with the mindset of "as long as it's not mediocre..."! You are spending a lot of money and this is a big "event"... it should be well beyond mediocre!

Addy

Rough_Rock
That photo doesn't help. Did you run the #s through the HCA? At the top of this page, click on TOOLS and pick HCA from the drop down menu. You should ask if they have other images for you to see. Also, you shouldn't go into this with the mindset of "as long as it's not mediocre..."! You are spending a lot of money and this is a big "event"... it should be well beyond mediocre!

Addy

Rough_Rock
Yes it gave me a 0.8 score. I meant as long as there are no visible flaws and it’s near a great color, cut and clarity I’m happy.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Certainly E, VS1 is awesome! Do you have any details on what the inclusions are for that VS1 diamond?
The HCA of 0.8 is a great score overall, however there are cases where sometimes a score of less than 1 isn't ideal for use in a ring... better for pendants and earrings, I believe due to head obstruction from viewing distance.
There are people on this forum more familiar with this aspect that will hopefully chime in and give you their impression.
With that said, I would think we would be splitting hairs at that point as the stone has great specs and also HCA score and you have a high clarity diamond.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Just so you know, VS1 CAN have an eye visible inclusion but as to whether you would be able to see it I don't know. That is why it would be great if you could share the clarity information so we can give you feedback. Also, you are spending a lot of money... let the seller do their job and educate you about this stone. Ask them these questions: "Are there any eye-visible inclusions?" If so, "How close a distance can they be seen with the naked eye?" and "Do you have other images of the diamond?" They have a LOT of competition out there, let them earn the sale!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say the chances of seeing a VS1 inclusion with the naked eye is very slim to none. You will struggle to find them using a 10x loupe. And in a 1 carat size, I think VS1 clarity is plenty good.

The proportions look promising. However, you should ask for an idealscope image to confirm there is no light leakage. Remember, the proportions we see on a cert are rounded & averaged and while useful, they don't tell us about the PRECISION of the faceting. The idealscope image helps us confirm that. Better yet, if you can get a H&A or ASET image, but JA doesn't offer those except on their TH collection.

For me, the real issue here is the IGI certification. In the USA, IGI is not a well respected lab because of their grading inconsistencies. We recommend you stick with GIA or AGS for reliability. Remember, a lab provides assurance & confirmation of color, clarity, etc. It's possible the stone ranks as E VS1 with IGI but lower with the other more reputable labs.

The certs help determine what price we pay for a diamond. So if it's wrong, then you may be overpaying because a stone really isn't the color or clarity it says it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results