shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a colored diamond?

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Can you help a girl dream about a beautiful ring she saw on this forum? I believe the picture is a three stone ring created by the talented Stephen. I think this is one of the first rings that I saw that wasn't a white diamond that just made me do a double take. Is this a fancy colored asscher or is it a diamond that is very warm on the color scale? I'm still learning but it seems that colored diamonds seem to set better with gold so does it look like in the picture that the prongs are cold and the rest of the rig is set in platinum?

Also, can I dare ask the question to the experts what size asscher and trapezoids (I think?) it would take to create this type of proportions? Also any idea on ball park of price of three stones versus setting? Are fancy colored diamonds priced at a premium over the usual diamonds that I see? Also, if there is a thread on this ring, I would love to ooogggllleee more at it. haha!

Thanks! Have a great day!

threestonesk.png

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really difficult to tell from a single photo but there is definitely colour there! Yellow diamonds, particularly in the lighter shades are often set in a yellow gold basket with yellow gold prongs to highlight the colour.

Have a look at Diamonds by Lauren and Leibish- they sell completed jewellery as well as loose stones. You will be able to see all the different shades of coloured diamonds and get a handle on the prices!

P

PierreBear

Thank you! I appreciate your references to the other websites.

grateful4life

Shiny_Rock
GOG, Good Old Gold also has some great videos on yellow/colored diamonds that I enjoyed watching when I was looking for my fancy yellow diamond. Have fun...fancy colors are addictive :dance:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PierreBear|1466167556|4045110 said:
Hi PS Friends,

Can you help a girl dream about a beautiful ring she saw on this forum? I believe the picture is a three stone ring created by the talented Stephen. I think this is one of the first rings that I saw that wasn't a white diamond that just made me do a double take. Is this a fancy colored asscher or is it a diamond that is very warm on the color scale? I'm still learning but it seems that colored diamonds seem to set better with gold so does it look like in the picture that the prongs are cold and the rest of the rig is set in platinum?

Also, can I dare ask the question to the experts what size asscher and trapezoids (I think?) it would take to create this type of proportions? Also any idea on ball park of price of three stones versus setting? Are fancy colored diamonds priced at a premium over the usual diamonds that I see? Also, if there is a thread on this ring, I would love to ooogggllleee more at it. haha!

Thanks! Have a great day!
Hi PierreBear,
It's an emerald cut (Asscher is a similar step cut), but hard to say from a picture whether it is technically a "fancy" yellow or a more common light yellow. You would need to see a lab report as that determination has a large bearing on value.

**edited by moderator, no link posting to vendor websites by vendors**

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks brownish yellow to me. And as Bryan said, it's an emerald cut. Love it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd have to see the GIA report to find out whether GIA graded it on their D-Z white diamond scale or their Fancy Colored Diamonds scale.
You can't tell by pictures, especially when the color looks light brown.

If it has an FCD report from any other lab than GIA I would not buy it.
I'd fear overpaying because the vendor sent it to that off lab because they knew GIA would grade it as a low-color D-Z diamond which makes it worth less than if GIA graded it as an FCD.

It's possible GIA did just that so they sent it to a less-reputable lab hoping for a FCD report.

Buyer beware.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's also not possible to say from a photo how much of the color we are seeing is body color of the diamond and how much is the yellow gold undercarriage showing through.

As snowdrop suggested earlier, skillful use of yellow gold in the design of the jewelry can make a light yellow face up like a fancy yellow.

In some cases a largely solid gold back that actually mirrors the facet arrangement of the pavilion is used to greatly accentuate the perceived color of the center stone. That is not the case with this design, but I suspect a fair amount of the yellow we are seeing is being drawn from the metal below.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI PierreBear!

I have a different outlook on the terminology.
Stones that are graded S-T, U-V, W-X, and Y-Z are technically not fancy colors.
But that little technicality is completely irrelevant in the real world if we're considering a diamond's appearance.
If we consider a diamond graded "Faint Pink", it would be considered a "Fancy Color" based on the technicality.
But it would have a lot less color than that Emerald Cut.
From what I can see in the picture, the stone does show enough color to look different than a colorless or near colorless...

P

PierreBear

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results