shape
carat
color
clarity

is this 2.01ct transitional solitaire overpriced?

liloette

Rough_Rock
I seem to be attracted to chunky antique shallow diamond cuts with larger tables.
Had my eyes on this 2.01ct transitional round platinum ring and I ove the simplicity and finger coverage.
Is this diamond over priced, spot on, fair...? I live in the USA and this ring is in England. They only give you 24 hours to return. I would know as soon as I put it on my size 6 finger if it is for me or not.
I'm new to this diamond world and don't want to over pay. Thanks everyone! The link has more photos, specs and a short video

http://www.acsilver.co.uk/shop/pc/2-01-ct-Diamond-and-Platinum-Solitaire-Ring-Vintage-Circa-1940-35p6972.htm

_1317.png

_5137.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first concern, and most important ome, isn't price. Those pictures are photoshopped to death. You cannot buy anything from those pics, you MUST request at least 5 GOOD real life life pictures any time you see that. And it is a huge red flag. Reputable vendors don't do that.

Is there a reason you aren't working with Adam at OWD instead of considering such a high risk transaction? Adam will send you stones on memo so you can evaluate them in person, his prices are are competitive and his customer serive is very good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's low crown, shallow, and I'm not getting a good feeling about performance. Video is crap too.

2 carat K SI stones, that are GIA graded, are being traded at 14k ish. That setting is worth maybe 1500. And it is HIGHLY unlikely that the stone is a true K. Probably an M at best.

So to recap, high risk, overpriced, un-papered(that "lab report" is toilet paper) photoshopped to death pictures, flat crown and shallow, overseas, crappy return policy.

That's a flat no from me.

Call Adam.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes- with all the options available in the US I would be buying there, so much easier with returns if needed. Also much more choice and your sellers provide proper certificates and appraisals.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Generally overseas customers are buying old cuts from the US and not the other way around - be sure to research any customs duties and taxes you will incur on top of the price, upon entering the US. That can be a significant expense, should you decide to proceed.

I can't comment on pricing for this ring, but Rap for a loose 2.01 GIA K, SI1 would be $13.6k. That's for a certed K.

Good luck with your search!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I agree the ring you linked to is over-priced and underwhelming; you can definitely do better (and buy within the U.S.).

Just one example of other diamonds that meet your criteria: 2.11ct EGL J-VS1 OEC from Old World Diamonds, a 60/60 chunky cut with similar face-up size as the ring you linked to, priced barely over $18K, which might be worth asking Adam about...

owd_-_owa25768.jpg

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/diamonds.php

If you want to enlist the help of PSers in your OEC search, maybe start a new thread and put your diamond preferences in your opening post and ask for links to stones that fit your specs and budget?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OP should note that an EGL J is equivalent to a GIA K or L. For the sake of running comps. EGL is generally 1-2 grades softer in their grading versus GIA or AGS. For comping prices, one must compare apples to apples with the labs, or adjust accordingly. EGL stones are wild cards unless one is comparing to other EGL certed stones.

liloette

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone, you guys are the real deal when it comes to honest advice! I do like a wider crown with less height. It seems as though there are a number of older chunky cuts out there on my side of the world. And thank you for telling me about owd and Adam. Sheesh, what a comparison!! Love his website!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just be homest with him. You want more if a transitional with a table in the mid- low fifties instead of the hight crown OEC look. He has more than what is on that site. Something like this stone would be what I would expect you would like: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-42ct-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-j-vs2#.V6gIkNlHaK0
Also a beauty: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-46ct-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-k-vs1#.V6gI6NlHaK0

So if you like the facetimg om either of those ask him for that look. It's easier to show than tell. It's okay to snd him pics from another vendor, h won't mind.

liloette

Rough_Rock
This one is local. I'm leaving to backpack through Ecuador in a few days and he said this diamond may be at home waiting for me upon my return. His friend deals diamonds and will go with him to view in person while I'm gone. I don't care for the actual ring setting but that is easy to change.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asJIdC_6cWs&feature=youtu.be

liloette

Rough_Rock
The stats on the above link are

_1321.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um Its yellow. That is not a GIA N.

liloette

Rough_Rock
If it is sold for 19k, it could be. I'm after max finger coverage with a solitaire stone. He has inquired on a few at old world diamonds as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You seem to be all over the place. What do you want? What is it you are looking for?

liloette

Rough_Rock
Those are both stunners! My husband would like to find something above 3 ct. He's obsessing more than I am. I show him what you all have to say and it helps us both realize there are other options.

liloette

Rough_Rock
Lovely, thank you

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell your husband that you can get a stone that you have no compromises on for the 2.3-2.8 carat range. Or a stone where you have to make significant sacrifices for 3 carat range. You just do NOT have a 3 carat budget. I'm sorry. If you want to raise the budget to 28k, then you can talk about a 3 carat stone that still looks a creamy off white instead of yellow.

Only you can decide what your priorities are. YOU are the one wearing it. So you have to decide: size versus color and cut.

Have you seen these lower colors in person? You really need to. I know exactly what my color tolerances are with old cuts. For me personally, GIA M is my absolute limit and the stone has to be perfectly cut for an M for me, and even then, all other things being equal I still have a strong preference for K color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results