shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any way out of this?

dornab

Rough_Rock
Hi PriceScope,

This is my first post here after reading for a couple of months, so if I do anything wrong please let me know.

My problem is with the color of my wedding band/e-ring and jewelry in general:
- We returned the e-ring my partner proposed with, I wasn't sure about it. It was a Tiffany Harmony with bead set band in platinum.
- I was told to get white/platinum if I want a diamond e-ring, because yellow gold will give the diamond a yellow reflection.
- We are eloping in a couple of weeks, we ordered matching wedding bands, I got mine in white gold for the above reason.
- I don't really like the look of white metals. :wall:

Now what's basically happening is that I have to get everything in white gold or platinum to match this. A white gold e-ring, my parents are buying me a gold watch which will have to be in white gold also (I really liked the rose gold version), and a bracelet/necklace also in WG/diamonds.

Is there any way out of this? Can I mix everything up and get my e-ring in yellow gold and the watch in rose (pink) gold, or do you think I should just suck it up and get everything is white metal? I don't hate white metal but I lust after yellow/rose gold.

P.S. The wedding band is 4mm shiny WG with no diamonds. Attaching the picture of the ring on my partner's hand in matte palladium, and the watch I want in rose gold/brown band and white gold/black band.

white-gold-watch.jpg

rose-gold-watch.jpg

_35149.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
This is just me, but right now I am happily wearing things in three different colors and two different percentages of gold. My mother always told me that all oriental rugs look fine together, so in my opinion the same thing applies to beloved jewelry pieces, as long as they are not medieval breastplate big.

Q

Queenie60

I say that you should get whichever color medal suits your fancy. If you like yellow gold, then go for the yellow. Your'e the one who will be looking at it each and every day and it needs to suit your taste.

dornab

Rough_Rock
I can't change the wedding band anymore, I ordered it two weeks ago. So I'm stuck with the white gold on that one.

So the options are:

- WG band, e-ring, watch.
- WG band, YG e-ring, RG watch
- WG band, WG e-ring, RG watch

I think I'm having buyer's remorse for the wedding bands, maybe when we get them I'll feel better about it...

Q

Queenie60

I am interested in hearing what other's suggestions are. I simply stay with white metals as that is my preference. It's a matter of personal taste. I feel that they all are beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sell your wedding band. If you dont even like it, whats the point?

reset your e ring in whatever dang color you want. If youre concerned about the color of the diamond, have the prongs platinum and everything else the gold you want. If your skin looks best in rose gold, why not even do that one?

get the rose gold watch....

example of a 2 tone e ring

uploadfromtaptalk1425646745203.jpg

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I think it's fine to mix metals. I have a platinum wedding set, but I wear rose and yellow gold necklaces often. You don't have to keep your jewelery monochromatic. Just because you chose white gold wedding rings doesn't mean you are limited to only wearing white gold forever and ever. Mixing up your metals is actually very on trend and "of the moment." Get what you love and be happy!

dornab

Rough_Rock
picante27|1446508604|3944941 said:
Just because you chose white gold wedding rings doesn't mean you are limited to only wearing white gold forever and ever.

haha you described my fears exactly! Thanks for the reassurance.

So I think I will stick with the WG for the rings. Now for the watch ... Would you wear a YG bracelet or watch on the same hand as your rings, if you were to only wear these and no other pieces of jewelry on that hand? I can see the mixed-metal trend but I think it will need another item to kind of blend things, like a WG bracelet or YG ring on another finger.

So, IMO this works:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/229754018465968847/

And this doesn't work so well:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/338755203191980648/

And my style is too simple to do the former all the time. Maybe the solution is to get the WG for the watch also, and just later get more YG and RG pieces for when I'm feeling creative. :bigsmile:

dornab

Rough_Rock
Niel|1446498584|3944885 said:
sell your wedding band. If you dont even like it, whats the point?

I think I should at least wait until I receive the band and then see how I feel about it. I liked it on my partner very much, and I didn't get to see the WG shiny version for me before we ordered so maybe it will be alright.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I think for the mixed metal look to work, it helps to have something to tie the pieces together. For example, get the rose gold watch, and add a rose gold band to your wedding stack. I've seen really thin rose gold bands on etsy that aren't very expensive. Or be on the lookout for something that mixes metals within the same piece. I have a rose gold and platinum necklace that does that. I do think you should get the watch you want. The idea that we should only wear matchy matchy jewelery is kind of old fashioned :D i would avoid mixing yellow and rose gold, though. ..just personal preference

20151102_203640-1_perfectlyclear.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a colorless or near-colorless diamond yellow gold is not going to make it look yellow. ERs have been set in YG for hundreds of years. If you like YG then get the YG. Life is too short to bend to others' opinions if your opinion differs. ERs are special and once in a lifetime. YG has been out of favor for a while now but it is coming back-big time especially as Asia and the Middle East are buying more western styled pieces. As gold prices are so high, I am seeing more low end diamond and CS jewelry sold in sterling silver. Hard to tell if someone is wearing a sterling silver chain from white gold and platinum. I do not mix metals but I am old fashioned. I feel my platinum ER and band are standard and I wear either gold or platinum jewelry depending on my outfit and the occasion.

dornab

Rough_Rock
lambskin|1446576973|3945201 said:
I feel my platinum ER and band are standard and I wear either gold or platinum jewelry depending on my outfit and the occasion.

I think I'm also old fashioned when it comes to mixing metals. So do you wear yellow gold jewelry, like a YG watch or bracelet on the left hand also, without worrying about your wedding bands? All YG except the rings?

Thanks, it really helps to know what everyone else is doing given I'm new to the wedding ring world. :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regard to watches, I am cursed with expensive watches. I am really hard on them and break them. I have a diamond watch (14k white gold) and a 14K gold bracelet watch that I wear on special occasions. So if I am wearing rings and bracelets that are set in YG then I match my watch. If I am wearing my plat. rings then I wear the white gold watch. Earrings and pendants metal match. I do not like mixed metals in one piece. Again I am very old fashioned. I also wear a lot of sterling pieces I have bought abroad. I know it is OK to mix metals (It is now OK to drink red wine with fish and seafood-which I have always done) but I can't break with tradition on this one.

dornab

Rough_Rock
lambskin|1446584655|3945266 said:
If I am wearing my plat. rings then I wear the white gold watch.

Mmm ... do you mean you wear other YG rings as wedding rings sometimes? Or do you always wear the platinum wedding rings regardless?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my ER regardless. Some of my colored stone rings are set in plat, others in gold. I only wear rings on my 4th fingers. So I always wear my ER plus band set in plat on my left fouth finger and wear either a plat or YG ring on my right hand fourth finger. I typically wear thinner non statement bracelets on my left wrist with the watch and statement bracelets on my right.The only exception is charm bracelets that I wear on my left wrist and I skip the watch.

dornab

Rough_Rock
That's very helpful, I have a better idea of what to do now. Thanks lambskin and everyone else for your suggestions :)

Area57

Rough_Rock
I think it's totally fine to mix colors. Besides seeing the great example of the ring with platinum prongs, many watches combine colors, even if it is gold and steel. But you really do have to get an engagement ring you are going to be happy with. I consider the e ring for women and the watch for men the two most important jewelry choices one makes in one's life.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I was gerring a Cartier watch I would get it in yellow gold. The white gold looks like steel.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I'm nontraditional but I mix metals. My wedding band is yellow gold and the ring I wear with it is 18K white gold. If you don't like your white metal wedding band CHANGE IT! Your husband do NOT have to match, and you will be the one wearing it.
I also love yellow gold, and a good compromise if you are worried about tint is getting a yellow gold engagement ring setting with white gold or platinum prongs. But I personally have seen diamonds set entirely in yellow gold and I think that looks beautiful!

I can't answer you on the watch question as I am left handed and wear my watch on a different hand. But I purposely picked one that is white metal with yellow metal accents, because I know I wear both color metals.

dornab

Rough_Rock
lambskin that's a very good point. This watch is way to expensive compared to other cartiers that look similar, it's 10k while a stainless steel quartz tank is 2-5K. It's mainly because it is manual wind as opposed to quartz, but I actually prefer quartz. I think I will look around more for the watch. Maybe stainless is better for the every day use as well, and then I can get a fancy one later!

Our wedding bands are ready for pick up, I will look at some e-ring options this weekend and try them next to the wedding band to see how the mix-metal look works.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wedding set isn't just another fashion accessory, and traditionally most women have only had one wedding set - or at least, they had only one at a time. I think that even in a non-mixed-metal world wedding sets get a "pass," .... so if you happen to have a YG wedding set but later decided to wear more white metals - who cares?

dornab

Rough_Rock
Got my wedding band and I love it :) It turned out exactly as I was hoping, classic with a little twist (literally).
[I wanted the wedding band to be significant and interesting on it's own since my lifestyle doesn't allow me to wear a diamond ring all the time. ]

I will stick with the WG for the wedding set, and just ignore it when it comes to other jewelry. I tried a few YG watch options and didn't get very good feedback from family and friends, so I ended up getting a stainless steel cartier tank for every day wear, and maybe will get a more substantial item later.

Now it's time to start looking for an e-ring!!! :bigsmile: I will definitely need your input on that as well, it has been very helpful to talk to you all here.

This is one example of what I tried and didn't like so much (excuse the old t-shirt):

img_9814.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dornab|1447105890|3947439 said:
Got my wedding band and I love it :) It turned out exactly as I was hoping, classic with a little twist (literally).
[I wanted the wedding band to be significant and interesting on it's own since my lifestyle doesn't allow me to wear a diamond ring all the time. ]

I will stick with the WG for the wedding set, and just ignore it when it comes to other jewelry. I tried a few YG watch options and didn't get very good feedback from family and friends, so I ended up getting a stainless steel cartier tank for every day wear, and maybe will get a more substantial item later.

Now it's time to start looking for an e-ring!!! :bigsmile: I will definitely need your input on that as well, it has been very helpful to talk to you all here.

This is one example of what I tried and didn't like so much (excuse the old t-shirt):

That's looks fab!
I think white metal suites your skin well, from the photos anyways.

Yes please make a rocky talky (or a colored stone?) Thread when you're ready for an e ring

dornab

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I definitely will!

GreenBean

Rough_Rock
I vote for rose gold watch. As for mixing metals I think it's perfectly fine. My best friend just got married this summer and she mixed her rings which I thought looked very different and beautiful, her e-ring was white gold and wedding band was rose gold with small diamonds. :)

abbit

Rough_Rock
I mix metals. I have a platinum wedding ring, a two tone watch and wear gold necklace and earrings

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Would you consider a two-tone ering?

I had a similar issue, but I wanted platinum. My fiancé (a long time ago) proposed with a yellow gold ring (white gold head), and I ended up with a YG wedding set.

Around our 10th anniversary, I still disliked the setting, so I went for a more modern style, but again in YG, because my wedding band was YG. The semi-custom setting did not come out as I liked, and the original vendor would not make it right. I tried to get it fixed with another vendor, who did a great job. At the end of day, I still did not like the YG:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/[/URL]

Fast forward to the 15th anniversary. I realized I just don't want a YG set. So I went for a two-tone reset. I also bought some stackers in yellow and white metals (not shown here). Now I'm okay with it:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellow-diamond-halo-from-erd.197757/?hilit=ERD']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellow-diamond-halo-from-erd.197757/?hilit=ERD[/URL]
I like my ering reset, but I still wish I had had platinum from the beginning. However, I love the sentimentally of my original wedding ring, and will never replace it. Plus, YG is back in style!

My parents also gifted me with a gold and stainless watch, which matches everything.

AandCGemTradingCorp

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think that mixing your metal colours is perfectly fine, and quite beautiful! The most important thing is to wear them with confidence- truly the best accessory you can have!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results