shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a Radiant Cut Advisor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey SMH,
Yes, it does seem to be a good price for the diamond, and it looks pretty in the picture- but remember, it is less expensive due to the issues we''re talking about here.
It does NOT appear to have the bucket of crushed ice look. My opinion is that the best cut Radiant cuts DO have that sparkle- however, radiants cut that well will cost more than the one you''re looking at.
If a lot of sparkle is what you''re looking for, I would advise asking your dealer to get you a diamond with "the" look. You''ll pay more, but how many times do you get engaged?

To all those who disagree with me- I would hope that everyone wants to see a free exchange of ideas- and acknowledge that voicing a dissenting opinion involves risk on my part, and adds value to the site.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 8:23:11 AM
Author: smh
Thanks for all of the input. I think for the price this is a very good stone. when I look closely at a Radiant, I like the crushed ice look, but I think I like the sparkle from a distance more.

Not surprised at all. I am glad to hear you went for it
1.gif

It sounds very logical that all the cut talk should also take the size of these things into account - and sometimes it does. So you are not alone.

The setting seems to be a radiant with pear sides and paved shank... I don''t know who makes it.

There has been at least one like that (square with pear sides around here) and the combination looks really special as far as I am concerned. Even sans pave.

tmb_big_DSCN9691.jpg.jpg

That is a princess cut, of course... but square enough to give an idea.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this was a square cushion wit pear sides:

SQPllk.JPG

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Smh - see if they can take a photo focusing deeper into the stone. All of those pictures are focused on the table, leaving the inside of the diamond quite blurry. Since it is those internal reflections which determine the brilliance of the diamond, a photo focused deeper into the stone will give you a better idea of how it reflects light.

KTM300

Rough_Rock

Sorry to drag this out :)

Here is the megascope from the Vendor. Is it normal to see slightly different numbers than what is on the GIA report?

megascopwerwer.GIF

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 1:02:06 PM
Author: smh

Is it normal to see slightly different numbers than what is on the GIA report?

yes. different machines..different calibrations. you may get slightly different results. when will you see it?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a pretty decent crown height on the stone. That means it has a pretty good chance of being a more fiery looking stone. This stone will probably be quite sparkly, and it is a very good price. And although it doesn''t have a facet pattern like a traditional radiant, it will likely still be a beautfiul diamond in person. From all the pictures you posted, it''s still pretty hard to tell what it will look like once you see it.

As far as the setting goes, I have a radiant with pear sides (sapphires), and I really like the look of them together. Some people don''t think square shaped stones should be matched with stones that have a rounded edge, but I like the look. But then, I''m different than a lot of people!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
SMH- Variation is normal when measuring to such a precise degree.
Although I would wonder what you would actually do with this info.

Coda- Simply having a proper crown height WON'T neccesarily make it a "sparkley" diamond

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
David''s right. While a nice crown height is better than crown which is too flat, crown height by itself doesn''t mean much. Cut in radiants is extremely complicated and cannot be reduced to just a few magic numbers. An awful lot of ugly radiants have nice crowns. In fact, the faceting on the pavilion is much more important than crown height or even table %. Almost everything on a radiant involves an "if this, then that" analysis of a multitude of factors.

That''s why nobody, on pricescope or anywhere else, can evaluate cut quality of a radiant sight unseen. Don''t be misled by the opinions of those who claim they can, whether on the basis of a sarin or OGI report, an idealscope, a blurry photo, or anything else.

Either trust your online vendor, or shop in a store and trust your own eyes. Everything else is just spin.

KTM300

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''ll have it sent to me. If it does not meet my expectations, I guess it will go back.

Thanks,
smh

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Good luck - I hope it''s beautiful. If it is, you''ll be getting an amazing bargain.

KTM300

Rough_Rock
OK, Here it is!!!! This picture is terrible my little cannon powershot does not take a good macro picture and the lighting was my awful desk lamp. Is sparkles like crazy in just about any light. It has more of a crushed ice look than I was expecting. The only thing I notice and this photo highlights it, is that the center may look a little dark in some light conditions, but not very often. I have not had much time to look at it, my GF had the day off yesterday and unexpectedly because of the snow storm, she had today off as well.

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
smh

untitled34532453.JPG

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Smh

It sounds like you really like the ring, and, ultimately, that''s the only opinion that matters.

The dark circle around the culet that you''re seeing is characteristic of many radiant cuts and is a problem only if it bothers you.

Congratulations, it sounds as though you got a ring that you really like for an extraordinary price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results