Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a general rule to set a budget for the setting?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
I am hoping to see if there's a general rule when setting a budget for the ring setting? Such as % price of the stone?

I am considering an oval right now (actually very close to buying it). And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Victor Canera oval setting with half moon side stones and micro pave all around. However, I am not going to bother with a quote because I know it will be way out of my budget. I am guessing it will be a significant % of the price of my entire ring. Secondly, I think I will be itching for a size upgrade in a few years, so I don't really feel like spending too much on the setting. I thought about getting a temp setting, but why bother if I can use that $ towards a setting I want.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
No. There's no rule.

We have people who buy $1000 colored stones and put them in $5000 settings.

I just helped someone buy an engagement ring in real life. The stone was 600. The setting 700.

IS this for you, personally?

And how long, REALISTICALLY are you going to have it before you can afford to upgrade it. If you are talking a year or two max. I'd be looking at Stuller for a setting under 500 bucks like this one: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122118/9143476/?groupId=119127#/center-stone or this one: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122100/9138363/?groupId=119111#/center-stone or this: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122047/5268192/?groupId=117213#/center-stone

If you are thinking 4-7 years, then I'd be looking at at a nice setting under 3k (assuming you have a budget of 10k ish or more). That means you can probably get a CAST halo. And then put a colored stone in it later and use it as a RHR. OR get half moons in a three stone and put a colored stone in it later. The combo of both half moons and a halo is probably going to put you over 3k, no matter where. But you can check with BE and see what they can do for you in either half moons or a halo for 3k. And that's what I'd do.

If you are in the three year range... that's harder.

Also, keep in mind things happen. Life happens. And your jewelry can become your lowest priority of the low. So while you plan on upgrading, try to get a setting you really like.

Especially when you are just getting married, buying a house, and ( maybe) having kids... boy does that upgrade take a back burner.
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,126
No rule indeed. What matters most is that you love the ring as a total package. I your case it will be good to take the possible upgrade into account. It's again another matter if you can reuse a setting for a different stone and then use it as a right hand ring.

Here is a thread on settings that are relatively (much) more expensive compared to the settings: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/low-cost-stones-in-high-cost-settings-poll.212074/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/low-cost-stones-in-high-cost-settings-poll.212074/[/URL]

And a thread on keeping (coloured stone) rings under 1250 USD in total: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fabulous-cs-rings-under-1250-dollar.211930/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fabulous-cs-rings-under-1250-dollar.211930/[/URL]
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,290
Gypsy|1456908649|3998329 said:
No. There's no rule.

We have people who buy $1000 colored stones and put them in $5000 settings.

I just helped someone buy an engagement ring in real life. The stone was 600. The setting 700.

IS this for you, personally?

And how long, REALISTICALLY are you going to have it before you can afford to upgrade it. If you are talking a year or two max. I'd be looking at Stuller for a setting under 500 bucks like this one: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122118/9143476/?groupId=119127#/center-stone or this one: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122100/9138363/?groupId=119111#/center-stone or this: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122047/5268192/?groupId=117213#/center-stone

If you are thinking 4-7 years, then I'd be looking at at a nice setting under 3k (assuming you have a budget of 10k ish or more). That means you can probably get a CAST halo. And then put a colored stone in it later and use it as a RHR. OR get half moons in a three stone and put a colored stone in it later. The combo of both half moons and a halo is probably going to put you over 3k, no matter where. But you can check with BE and see what they can do for you in either half moons or a halo for 3k. And that's what I'd do.

If you are in the three year range... that's harder.

Also, keep in mind things happen. Life happens. And your jewelry can become your lowest priority of the low. So while you plan on upgrading, try to get a setting you really like.

Especially when you are just getting married, buying a house, and ( maybe) having kids... boy does that upgrade take a back burner.
I love the 3rd setting you suggested! So classic.
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,811
I don't think so. I just put a $2,950 stone in a $3100 setting. I chose a setting the compliments the stone and my lifestyle.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,277
If you have thoughts of upgrading your stone, I would spend as little as possible now because you won't get much for a used setting. I'd save and get the forever Victor setting with the upgrade for an anniversary!

But if you plan on doing that, you really need to be looking at upgrade policies before you buy a stone.
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
Thanks Gypsy,

Yes, my hope is to spend around $2K to $3K, at most $4K for a setting due to the uncertainty as to how long I will keep it. This is already an upgrade for me. Long story short, I was actually looking for a bigger stone, more like a 3 ct (either oval or round), around H or I color, VS2/SI's with a nice cut, but I stumbled upon this very special 2 ct D color stone at a reasonable price, and I am thinking I GOTTA have it. :rodent:

My wish is a 3ct, but a 3ct of this quality is way way way out of my reach. You are right, it is so hard to predict what happens in life, and yes, there's no way to know if an upgrade will ever happen. You'd probably ask me, why buy this stone if I am already thinking about an upgrade. This one is just so special, at least out of everything that I've seen over the last year.

My DH and I have been happily married for 7 years, doing okay financially, at least hopefully no drastic change over the next few years. So a third upgrade may not be impossible, though may be a little excessive. But doesn't hurt to dream, right? :pray:

I thought about a halo setting, but I already have an aquamarine stone in a halo, so I was thinking a three stone setting will be different and the VC oval 3 stone setting is just stunning. But I am guessing that VC setting is at least $8K to $9K.
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
Acinom|1456913701|3998340 said:
No rule indeed. What matters most is that you love the ring as a total package. I your case it will be good to take the possible upgrade into account. It's again another matter if you can reuse a setting for a different stone and then use it as a right hand ring.

Here is a thread on settings that are relatively (much) more expensive compared to the settings: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/low-cost-stones-in-high-cost-settings-poll.212074/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/low-cost-stones-in-high-cost-settings-poll.212074/[/URL]

And a thread on keeping (coloured stone) rings under 1250 USD in total: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fabulous-cs-rings-under-1250-dollar.211930/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fabulous-cs-rings-under-1250-dollar.211930/[/URL]
Thanks Acinom, I agree with you, especially with color stones, the settings are comparatively more expensive. I have a nice blue topaz loose stone from many years ago. It is not set yet, because a nice setting still a big chuck of $. Plus that has not been my top priority because I was hoping to find my holy grail first. =)

Btw, Acinom, I absolutely adore looking at all your nice jewelry. Your OEC is gorgeous! and I love your stacking set! Thanks for sharing your photos.
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
diamondseeker2006|1456944098|3998573 said:
If you have thoughts of upgrading your stone, I would spend as little as possible now because you won't get much for a used setting. I'd save and get the forever Victor setting with the upgrade for an anniversary!

But if you plan on doing that, you really need to be looking at upgrade policies before you buy a stone.
I agree. Like liaerfbv, i also like the third setting that Gypsy had suggested. As for the upgrade policy, unfortunately, there is no upgrade policy, but I hope I will be able to sell it in the future w/o too much loss.
 

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Messages
1,290
SomethingNew|1456906148|3998324 said:
I am hoping to see if there's a general rule when setting a budget for the ring setting?
Yes, the rule I always tell people is, "The bigger the budget the better!" :Up_to_something:

While I am kidding, the actual cost of a setting depends to a great extent on the use of few things.
The first being diamond melee. The more and better quality used the higher the price and it can go up FAST.
The second being complexity. Fancy rings with lots of fine details eat up labor and so cost a lot more than simpler rings.
The third being unusually shaped side stones. If you're using traps, big baguettes or the half moons that you mentioned, bring a truck load of money, since these types of diamonds are among the most expensive per carat that one can buy.
The forth being material type. It's not quite as critical as the preceding, but doing good work in platinum is much more time consuming that getting the same look in white gold.
The best advice is to tell your jeweler right up front what you want and what you can afford to pay and let them massage the details to get you there. It's possible, for instance, to reduce costs substantially by reducing diamond melee sizes and numbers by a small amount and get large savings. Likewise reducing things like filigree on the inside of the ring, (where you can't see it anyway), can save a lot on the final cost.
 

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
7,558
No rule in my book, and have put inexpensive CS in settings that cost 5x+ the cost of the CSs in 14K WG.

There are not many decent 14K WG settings with diamonds that are under 400 USD!

DK :))
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Ovals.are.hard to resell. Buy from a vendorr with an upgrade policy. We have several.
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
Michael_E|1456958558|3998748 said:
SomethingNew|1456906148|3998324 said:
I am hoping to see if there's a general rule when setting a budget for the ring setting?
Yes, the rule I always tell people is, "The bigger the budget the better!" :Up_to_something:

While I am kidding, the actual cost of a setting depends to a great extent on the use of few things.
The first being diamond melee. The more and better quality used the higher the price and it can go up FAST.
The second being complexity. Fancy rings with lots of fine details eat up labor and so cost a lot more than simpler rings.
The third being unusually shaped side stones. If you're using traps, big baguettes or the half moons that you mentioned, bring a truck load of money, since these types of diamonds are among the most expensive per carat that one can buy.
The forth being material type. It's not quite as critical as the preceding, but doing good work in platinum is much more time consuming that getting the same look in white gold.
The best advice is to tell your jeweler right up front what you want and what you can afford to pay and let them massage the details to get you there. It's possible, for instance, to reduce costs substantially by reducing diamond melee sizes and numbers by a small amount and get large savings. Likewise reducing things like filigree on the inside of the ring, (where you can't see it anyway), can save a lot on the final cost.
In talking with my friend, she suggests I can find the side stones myself which will save me some money, and not use melee, just a simple 3 stone setting. She thinks that will look elegant too. And in the future, I can switch out and put a color stone in there. I thought round shapes are generally most expensive, but to my surprise, traps and half moons are way more, almost double! I thought they are considered fancy shapes and would be cheaper, but boy I was wrong. Even worse, i can't find them anywhere! Unfortunately, most internet vendors do not offer traps, tapped baguettes or half moons. For the price I am paying for the side stones, i can almost afford a pair of decent studs... just saying....
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
Gypsy|1456963660|3998792 said:
Ovals.are.hard to resell. Buy from a vendorr with an upgrade policy. We have several.
Interesting... I can see that as rounds are the most popular. That's unfortunate, because ovals and pears give the most finger coverage. Yet they are not as popular, isn't size is the first thing people see?

It is from a local store, so not an option to buy from another vendor. I saw the stone and it is very pretty. Unless I go back to my original plan and forget this deal, then yes, I will go with a bigger vendor with better upgrade/return policy.
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,811
SomethingNew|1456966411|3998820 said:
Gypsy|1456963660|3998792 said:
Ovals.are.hard to resell. Buy from a vendorr with an upgrade policy. We have several.
Interesting... I can see that as rounds are the most popular. That's unfortunate, because ovals and pears give the most finger coverage. Yet they are not as popular, isn't size is the first thing people see?

It is from a local store, so not an option to buy from another vendor. I saw the stone and it is very pretty. Unless I go back to my original plan and forget this deal, then yes, I will go with a bigger vendor with better upgrade/return policy.
Did you buy from the store already?
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,811
SomethingNew|1456966411|3998820 said:
Gypsy|1456963660|3998792 said:
Ovals.are.hard to resell. Buy from a vendorr with an upgrade policy. We have several.
Interesting... I can see that as rounds are the most popular. That's unfortunate, because ovals and pears give the most finger coverage. Yet they are not as popular, isn't size is the first thing people see?
And no, size is not the first thing people see. I have a friend who has a .75 diamond. Her husband did his homework and her ring sparkles like a disco ball. Even when it's dirty.
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
soxfan|1456968487|3998841 said:
SomethingNew|1456966411|3998820 said:
Gypsy|1456963660|3998792 said:
Ovals.are.hard to resell. Buy from a vendorr with an upgrade policy. We have several.
Interesting... I can see that as rounds are the most popular. That's unfortunate, because ovals and pears give the most finger coverage. Yet they are not as popular, isn't size is the first thing people see?

It is from a local store, so not an option to buy from another vendor. I saw the stone and it is very pretty. Unless I go back to my original plan and forget this deal, then yes, I will go with a bigger vendor with better upgrade/return policy.
Did you buy from the store already?
The stone is on hold, I have till this weekend to decide. I might be able to talk him into giving me an extra day or two, but I am pretty sure about buying it.
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
soxfan|1456968581|3998842 said:
SomethingNew|1456966411|3998820 said:
Gypsy|1456963660|3998792 said:
Ovals.are.hard to resell. Buy from a vendorr with an upgrade policy. We have several.
Interesting... I can see that as rounds are the most popular. That's unfortunate, because ovals and pears give the most finger coverage. Yet they are not as popular, isn't size is the first thing people see?
And no, size is not the first thing people see. I have a friend who has a .75 diamond. Her husband did his homework and her ring sparkles like a disco ball. Even when it's dirty.
True, my current E ring is a 1.5 ct, but we didn't do our homework at the time. It was a very good cut, which now i know is not that good. At the time, I was choosing between a 1.2 triple X and this 1.5 VG. I picked the bigger stone which was a mistake. oh well, life is all about learning.... it is still the most meaningful piece of jewelry to me that counts.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
What are the dimensions on your oval?
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
Gypsy|1456984202|3998958 said:
What are the dimensions on your oval?
I don't remember exactly, but it is a tad over 10x7. They showed me a GIA cert, but i forgot to take a picture. I guess I can ask them to send me a picture.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
That's a nice sized stone hon, how large are you planning on going? And what color is the stone?
 

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 29, 2015
Messages
127
Gypsy|1456997365|3999006 said:
That's a nice sized stone hon, how large are you planning on going? And what color is the stone?
I always have a sweet spot for a 3 ct stone. I guess I keep forgetting that I should focus more on measurements on ovals and some other fancy shapes instead of weight.

The stone I am looking at is a D color.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Yeah, it is hard to focus on the measurements. But that is some substantial finger coverage. If you think you want more then maybe in makes sense to do a CAD halo for 3000k and see what you think about that.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Three Yays for Cartier
    Three Yays for Cartier

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top