shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it to pay extra for G or H over I?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Can this "milkiness" potentially resulting from fluorescence be captured on the camera? It would be of great help to consumers of vendor here can post two strong fluorescence diamonds side by side, one appearing milky versus one "great looking" so buyers can learn to identify the less desirable effect.

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 1:12:03 PM
Author: niceice

My late wife Robin was a big fan of fluorescent diamonds and wore a D color / strong blue and had to clean it every day to keep it from looking oily -
ALL diamonds should be cleaned everyday to keep them from looking oily!
2.gif

Author: niceice

What are the benefits of buying a diamond with strong blue fluorescence?

Is there potential for negative impact upon the visual performance of a diamond with strong blue fluorescence? Can fluorescence have a negative impact upon the way a diamond looks?

How does strong blue fluorescence affect the marketability of a diamond? How does it impact the ability for the consumer to trade-up later?

Since you mention that the savings derived from buying a diamond with strong blue fluorescence would more than cover the cost of having the diamond evaluated by an appraiser, I assume that there is a discount for diamonds with strong blue fluorescence... If strong blue fluorescence has such a positive impact upon the color of a diamond, why is there a discount for it? This is of course assuming that there is a discount for it (I''m playing devil''s advocate here - I KNOW that there is a discount for it).

I saw a lab report for an ''L'' color diamond and the fluorescence was stated as Medium Yellow. What effect would this have upon the diamond? The price seemed really, really good!
i''m not sure if these are intended rhetorical questions or not, but all of them are answered in the gia article, which is very interesting!

personally, in normal lighting conditions, i can''t see a marked difference with strong blue. of course, i haven''t seen any that exhibit the rare adverse effects that can be apparent in some diamonds but then again, by most admissions, those are few and far between. i will definitely benefit on the discount applied by the industry and happily shake my head and agree as my local jeweler says ''oh no, you don''t want any kind of flourescence at all, fluorescence is bad'' yes, that is a direct quote!
37.gif

great! reduce the price on those ''bad'' diamonds and ring ''em up!
35.gif
hey, i like the way they look under blacklights.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, I wouldn''t buy a stone without Blue Fluor. I never seen any milkiness that comes when dirty; but, I clean my rings every few days of wearing. I''ve said this before - to my eye - these stones look more "plugged" in.

Just one consumer''s opinion. And, honestly, I have *yet* to hear a valid (in my consumer business mind) reason for the discount or dissing.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sorry to be late to this - on vacation

Date: 12/21/2006 1:43:19 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Can this ''milkiness'' potentially resulting from fluorescence be captured on the camera? It would be of great help to consumers of vendor here can post two strong fluorescence diamonds side by side, one appearing milky versus one ''great looking'' so buyers can learn to identify the less desirable effect.

Thanks!
there are plenty of pics and even videos i think of Dave Atlas''s totally overblue stone he wears on pricescope

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:10:17 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
sorry to be late to this - on vacation

Date: 12/21/2006 1:43:19 PM

Author: zhuzhu

Can this ''milkiness'' potentially resulting from fluorescence be captured on the camera? It would be of great help to consumers of vendor here can post two strong fluorescence diamonds side by side, one appearing milky versus one ''great looking'' so buyers can learn to identify the less desirable effect.

Thanks!

there are plenty of pics and even videos i think of Dave Atlas''s totally overblue stone he wears on pricescope

I didn''t realize Dave wears "overblue diamonds". There are pictures of him wearing them too????

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 2:04:44 PM
Author: belle

Author: Belle:

You know the really funny thing about that statement is that the odds are that the jewelers case is filled with engagement ring semi-mounts and fashion jewelry which contains diamonds that would fluoresce if exposed to black light - if he ever bothered to look.

I had to laugh awhile back when a customer brought one of our diamonds in to a jewelry store to have it set and the only thing that the jeweler could find to complain about (in an effort to burn our sale) was the fact that the diamond had faint blue fluorescence... Thankfully our customer saw the tactic a mile away and asked to see the diamond under black light and then proceeded to ask the jeweler "what about that diamond?" (from the jewelers case) "and that one?" as I understand it, the scene was pretty entertaining!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results