shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it to get a diamond recut?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
EF91F785-3660-4DE6-ABC7-77FD8CF6002D.png I have a 1.3 ct GIA triple ex diamond that I like (but don’t love). Some feedback I’ve received is that the diamond is too deep. It scored a 1.7 on the HCA. I’m wondering if getting it recut will result in a noticeable difference.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you might do better trading your existing stone in and getting something that appeals to you more. What is it about your stone that you are finding that you don't like? (your proportions seem only a hair over what would normally be recommended, and the HCA cut score is good, so I'm wondering what it is you are seeing IRL that is troubling you).

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you might do better trading your existing stone in and getting something that appeals to you more. What is it about your stone that you are finding that you don't like? (your proportions seem only a hair over what would normally be recommended, and the HCA cut score is good, so I'm wondering what it is you are seeing IRL that is troubling you).

I think it’s the knowledge that super ideal diamonds exist. We bought this diamond thinking GIA triple ex was the gold standard and then I found Pricescope...

I looked into this but the trade in was about $1300 less than we paid and the closest (albeit slightly smaller) super ideal (granted with another vendor) would cost about $2600 more (post tax). I’m not sure if I’m ready to take that kind of loss and shell out that kind of money for something smaller... so I was hoping a recut would improve it enough to satisfy me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it scored a 1.7 on the HCA it means the proportions theoretically work well together... I think you’d benefit from ordering an ideal scope and ASET and learning how to use them so you can check the light performance for yourself. It’ll be cheaper than a new diamond and you may find that you don’t need to replace yours.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s the knowledge that super ideal diamonds exist. We bought this diamond thinking GIA triple ex was the gold standard and then I found Pricescope...

I get that. You want something that is mind clean. What I would say to you though is that your HCA score is in the range where most ps'ers would recommend being (<2). That means that the angles of your stone are theoretically complementary and that you should be getting good light return. You may have lucked out and found something close to being in the super ideal range without the markup (it's the non-branded unicorn of diamonds). Given the good cut score, I'm not sure it would be worth it to trade it in at a loss because you might find that you can't actually see much difference between your stone and a super ideal. What I would suggest is that you maybe visit a store that sells superideals in person if you can and compare your stone with a super ideal. If you still feel strongly about trading it, at least you know. If you don't, you'd know that too. But @distracts suggestion of getting an ideal scope and ASET and looking at your stone makes good sense too.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Did you "love" the diamond before you discovered PS? If so then stop wasting your time, enjoy the rock and move on with your life!

From what I understand it's rarely ever worth it to recut a diamond... And that alternative ask carries big risks with it.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
If it scored a 1.7 on the HCA it means the proportions theoretically work well together... I think you’d benefit from ordering an ideal scope and ASET and learning how to use them so you can check the light performance for yourself. It’ll be cheaper than a new diamond and you may find that you don’t need to replace yours.

I’ll look into buying one, thanks!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I get that. You want something that is mind clean. What I would say to you though is that your HCA score is in the range where most ps'ers would recommend being (<2). That means that the angles of your stone are theoretically complementary and that you should be getting good light return. You may have lucked out and found something close to being in the super ideal range without the markup (it's the non-branded unicorn of diamonds). Given the good cut score, I'm not sure it would be worth it to trade it in at a loss because you might find that you can't actually see much difference between your stone and a super ideal. What I would suggest is that you maybe visit a store that sells superideals in person if you can and compare your stone with a super ideal. If you still feel strongly about trading it, at least you know. If you don't, you'd know that too. But @distracts suggestion of getting an ideal scope and ASET and looking at your stone makes good sense too.

That was actually the plan this year but my dog started to have issues and we need to stay home now. Assuming he’s ok next year I’m definitely going to push to go to see some in person next year. I figured worst case scenario I save up for a replacement super ideal and turn my current one into a pendant.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Did you "love" the diamond before you discovered PS? If so then stop wasting your time, enjoy the rock and move on with your life!

From what I understand it's rarely ever worth it to recut a diamond... And that alternative ask carries big risks with it.

To be fair, we were young and in college when we got engaged, I was just happy to be getting a diamond as large as mine is! If my husband hadn’t chatted with a particular sales rep I probably would have ended up with a smaller, poorly cut diamond and I would have been thrilled with it then too. Now that we’re more established and have more money, my focus for everything is quality.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
To be fair, we were young and in college when we got engaged, I was just happy to be getting a diamond as large as mine is! If my husband hadn’t chatted with a particular sales rep I probably would have ended up with a smaller, poorly cut diamond and I would have been thrilled with it then too. Now that we’re more established and have more money, my focus for everything is quality.

1.3ct is pretty damn impressive for a college student! I suggest you hang onto him :dance:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
EF91F785-3660-4DE6-ABC7-77FD8CF6002D.png I have a 1.3 ct GIA triple ex diamond that I like (but don’t love). Some feedback I’ve received is that the diamond is too deep. It scored a 1.7 on the HCA. I’m wondering if getting it recut will result in a noticeable difference.
Who was giving you that feedback?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What color is your diamond?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
can we see it on your hand ?
please i mean

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t.
You will pay good money to lose carat weight and I doubt if after recutting the visual difference in sparkle will be worth the loss of size.
The stats on your diamond are perfectly good, I think you are focusing too much on perceived “faults” due to a higher HCA score.
You need to see some “more perfect” diamonds in person and alongside your existing diamond to decide whether or not the small visual difference is worth losing $1,300 plus reselling your existing diamond plus the extra premium to buy the super ideal.
I would sit tight, keep saving towards the super ideal diamond and rather than lose money on your existing diamond, turn it to a diamond pendant.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
i agree with Bron! I've had a diamond recut that was really bad. Yours isn't.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
what is it that you like, but not love, about the diamond? A well cut 55/36/40.6 can be as good as a super ideal cut diamond.
Do you have any photo?

I think it’s just knowing that something better exists (and wanting it). I honestly thought cutting it could possibly be an easy way to make it a better performer. But I’m realizing maybe there’s more to recutting than I initially thought...

Here’s my ring.

image10.JPEG

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
1.3ct is pretty damn impressive for a college student! I suggest you hang onto him :dance:

Oh yes, he’s great! And not sentimental so he’s actively encouraging me to buy whatever makes me happy lol. Unfortunately for him it takes me a very long time to make a decision and I need to talk it out with him constantly.

Who was giving you that feedback?

It’s K colored but I’d prefer not to post names.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's entirely possible that some of us said that 62.7 is deeper than we recommend (I might have said that, and it's true), but it doesn't mean your stone isn't beautiful or should be recut. the 36 crown is a bit steep, and the steep/deep combination can lead to leakage. However, since yours scores under 2 on the HCA, it means that at least the angles are complimentary, which is great.

Yours is so close to the ideal ranges that I think a recut will hurt more than help.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
can we see it on your hand ?
please i mean
IMG_1296.jpg
It’s very convenient that Pricescope saves all your photos!

Don’t.
You will pay good money to lose carat weight and I doubt if after recutting the visual difference in sparkle will be worth the loss of size.
The stats on your diamond are perfectly good, I think you are focusing too much on perceived “faults” due to a higher HCA score.
You need to see some “more perfect” diamonds in person and alongside your existing diamond to decide whether or not the small visual difference is worth losing $1,300 plus reselling your existing diamond plus the extra premium to buy the super ideal.
I would sit tight, keep saving towards the super ideal diamond and rather than lose money on your existing diamond, turn it to a diamond pendant.

That was one of the ideas floating around in my head! My only concern is I don’t wear necklaces often. My main jewelry staples are my 2 rings and my bangle. I want to be a variety kind of person, but I’m not.

My husband offered to take me to either Whiteflash or High Performance Diamonds this fall but it looks like our dog needs surgery and recovery is an 8 week ordeal according to our vet, so that’s being pushed off. Maybe until next year because there’s no way I’m traveling to anywhere that isn’t Hawaii in the winter. With the way everyone talks about their super ideals here though, I’m sure I’ll love them. Even if it’s just a mental thing.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely get an ASET scope and see what you are dealing with before you go further. Small table, steep crown and very complimentary shallow pavilion is what many seek. Yes, it's a little deep but the ASET would tell you how much it's truly affecting the cut.

Honestly sounds like you guys did pretty good to not know anything when you bought. I wouldn't be so quick to dump it.

More to your question though, I don't think a recut is warranted or worthwhile in this case.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depth isn't going to effect the light return at all, in fact depth has nothing to do with light return.
The height is in the crown.
If the numbers are anywhere close to right(gia rounding) and it looks like the optical symetry is reasonable or better by the pic, its a diamond I would put on my wifey's finger.
I love these high crown combos.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Depth isn't going to effect the light return at all, in fact depth has nothing to do with light return.
The height is in the crown.
If the numbers are anywhere close to right(gia rounding) and it looks like the optical symetry is reasonable or better by the pic, its a diamond I would put on my wifey's finger.
I love these high crown combos.

I didn’t know that. I thought it all mattered. :confused:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
What specifically bothers you about the rock? The color or the depth?

If it's the latter I really think you're overthinking this and you're more in "mind clean" territory than anything. If the color is bugging you then that's understandable, but color is a totally subjective thing. Even though the brown Ks are less "valuable" as dictated by the market, I actually prefer their look to yellow personally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results