shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it to get a diamond recut?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have noticed that in particular emerald cuts with “good” asets do not appeal to me because the facets don’t sparkle the same way the ones with “bad” asets do - they go on and off all at once rather than alternating, basically. Which is exactly what a mostly-red aset would predict, I guess. I think you could probably find a way to read one to find the emerald cuts I like but I haven’t seen enough to know.
It is usually caused by oversized p2 pavilion angles close to 41 degrees, large red blobs in ASET can be an indication of issues in step cuts.
See the carre' cut above. Similar principle.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have noticed that in particular emerald cuts with “good” asets do not appeal to me because the facets don’t sparkle the same way the ones with “bad” asets do - they go on and off all at once rather than alternating, basically. Which is exactly what a mostly-red aset would predict, I guess. I think you could probably find a way to read one to find the emerald cuts I like but I haven’t seen enough to know.
I use a form of 3D stereoscopic ASET and Ideal-scope

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use a form of 3D stereoscopic ASET and Ideal-scope

Hi Garry,
Stereo ASET is more effective instrument than the original ASET design.
To receive correct results you need add body obscuration to ASET pattern .
Body obscuration is bigger than head obscuration. it is not logical to use structure light with only head obscuration to grade diamond performance .

Reactions: AV_

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thx. I probably should have clarified I was only referring to round diamonds.

All my statements about ASET images are for any cut( round and fancy cuts)
Lets consider 2 pairs ASET images :

1st pair
Screenshot 2019-09-13 09.03.24.png

Left has strong contrast and bright red color. Right has partial leakage under table.
Most advisers on PS will prefer the left diamond from this pair because it looks almost as "Ideal" cut . Right?
But the right diamond has much better optical performance .
you can not recognise from left ASET image that the black arrows are Dead( they are always black during the diamond tilting) . They create dead static contrast when partial leakage in the right diamond create dynamical contrast and great fire.

2nd pair
Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.53.00.png Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.53.22.png

Which is a better diamond?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.40.41.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.40.41.png
    121 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.52.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.52.08.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.52.46.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-13 08.52.46.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for providing these comparisons Serg - very interesting.

The website you use to compare the diamonds is a great tool, I wish I had access to something like that! I love how you can get more precise readings on the angles - the GIA report shows PA 41.4 yet your tool shows it at 41.34 - quite a statistically meaningful difference.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
IMG_1296.jpg
It’s very convenient that Pricescope saves all your photos!

That was one of the ideas floating around in my head! My only concern is I don’t wear necklaces often. My main jewelry staples are my 2 rings and my bangle. I want to be a variety kind of person, but I’m not.

My husband offered to take me to either Whiteflash or High Performance Diamonds this fall but it looks like our dog needs surgery and recovery is an 8 week ordeal according to our vet, so that’s being pushed off. Maybe until next year because there’s no way I’m traveling to anywhere that isn’t Hawaii in the winter. With the way everyone talks about their super ideals here though, I’m sure I’ll love them. Even if it’s just a mental thing.
The advice to compare your diamond to some super-ideal cuts seems wise since the evidence would be right in front of you. But there's time, those diamonds will always be there when you're ready. I think your present ring is gorgeous and you and your husband - who clearly cares about you - should take care of the dog and put everything on the back burner.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... looks almost as "Ideal" cut ...
you can not recognise from left ASET image that the black arrows are Dead (they are always black during the diamond tilting) . They create dead static contrast

It is forgiven - WWW

2p

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Serg really enjoy your commentary and platform.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
From your pictures, I think your diamonds just need a really good cleaning =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results