shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth getting a step-cut MMD?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I am eyeing off an amazing F colour VS1 Asscher (just under 1ct) but just as I was thinking of jumping on it, I had a brief thought this morning: is there any point in buying a step-cut MMD? If bang-for-buck is what draws us to MMDs, does it make more sense to buy a brilliant cut?

I guess what I'm asking is, if MMDs offer a cost-effective solution to have a diamond for all its beautiful characteristics, should one be buying one that has maximum fire/brilliance?

Yes, it should come to personal taste but curious what others think. Any lab Asscher owners out there?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following this thread closely since I'm considering an emerald cut MMD for next year. However, I'm not sure yet if I'll go with MMD or mined, so it will be interesting to hear people's perspectives on this question. 8)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECs and OECs are diamond shapes and cuts that I love for rings, regardless whether they are earth mined, created or synthetic ones.

I would not buy a MRB for a ring as I am not keen on them even if I could afford one in MMD or Moissanite.

DK :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think of it from a slightly different perspective - if you want to experiment and see if you can live with a 'quieter' cut long-term, MMD is an ideal way to do that because the cost is a lot lower initially!

I know future values / resale values are an uncertainty... but if (say) you get 20% back (worst case?) from an MMD and 60% back from a Mined, the 80% loss on the MMD might still be less than the 40% loss on a Mined... :)

And, in the meantime, you would have got to enjoy it for all the time you own it!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s a great way to test the waters and see if you enjoy the cut, with a smaller financial outlay!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I have read on reddit, people who love step cut diamonds have been very happy with their step cut MMDs

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I have an emerald cut MMD. My partner was able to go up higher in clarity that he would have with a mined diamond for sure. I think it's a VVS2?

But I'm not an MRB fan for stones over 1ct, and he got somewhere around 1.5 to 1.75 ct for my ring.

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
I have an "asscher" MMD (albeit, an incredible, special and unique asscher) and ADORE it! It is my forever stone! I think that it shouldn't matter if it's man made or mined, you should get what your heart wants. I would suggest to get a quality stone from the best source you can find. I feel that makes a huge difference. It sounds like if you get a RB, then you might still want an asscher ;-). I am truly blown away by my stone and am so happy with it- I think that you should get what your heart really wants!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have an "asscher" MMD (albeit, an incredible, special and unique asscher) and ADORE it! It is my forever stone! I think that it shouldn't matter if it's man made or mined, you should get what your heart wants. I would suggest to get a quality stone from the best source you can find. I feel that makes a huge difference. It sounds like if you get a RB, then you might still want an asscher ;-). I am truly blown away by my stone and am so happy with it- I think that you should get what your heart really wants!

Ohhh! Photos please if you have time? I have always, always admired Asschers and in spite of acquiring a bunch of beauties of other shapes and sizes in the past year, I always come back to wanting an Asscher. I just can't go past the huge price difference in MMD Asschers. I'm not looking at any other MMD cuts. Thank you!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@OoohShiny Thank you and yes! The MMD Asscher I'm eyeing off would cost double the price if it was natural, and to be honest, they are not a popular cut in Australia so I'd struggle to sell regardless of MMD or natural. I don't see myself parting with it as it's just the one cut I've always wanted.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
If that was the shape I wanted absolutely! For me it being MMD isn't a big deal because I don't really feel an expectation to need to sell it. I feel like MMD are become much more normalized anyway. Still a long way to go but it's getting there.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there is no point of getting a 1 carat step cut. They face up too small.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
One could turn the question around and ask if paying a ‘premium’ for a mined diamond shouldn’t one get the max sparkle and brilliance instead of wasting extra money on a step cut that is not as brilliant?

If you are not sure I think MMD is a great tester...but I don’t have any objections to MMD so if I loved it I’d keep the tester. :kiss2:

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@monipod I don't have a tread on it yet, it's still not set (in the middle of the design process still). You've probably seen it in this thread :https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yoram-gemconcepts-is-cutting-mmds.257661/page-3 (page 3 is where my photos start), but here it is if not. I have always had mined diamonds, but am more than thrilled with this stone! Yoram, of course, is impeccable with his research and only purchases rough (mined or man made) that I trust. If you have a source that you believe provides a good product, then go for it! If you really want an asscher, than I would definitely get an asscher! It will make you smile every time you look at it!! :kiss2:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@Simple and Sparkly OMG #goals... I did see that thread about Yoram cutting MMDs but hadn't followed it to see that you have one. Oh she is stunning!!! Congrats!!

I know it shouldn't make a difference but do you know if it's a CVD or HPHT lab stone? I should go on his Insta to read more but it'll make me more thirsty and I think a lottery win is what stands between me and a Yoram purchase Maybe for a milestone birthday :D

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@monipod You are so sweet!! Thank you! I'm so anxious to have set!!

It's a CVD with no after treatment- it's the only MMD he's ever cut, so hopefully the beginning of some incredible MMD stones ;-). It is a fascinating read to follow his IG journey and he will be doing a blog post on his website about the process too. He gives wonderful educational info as well as his own insights.

PS- I LOVE your oval semi-bezel! It's so wonderful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results