shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it true that some heads make a diamond appear larger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I received the solstice setting with a 1 carat size head on it today, and I am wondering why the head appears larger, than the 2 carat head that my 1.76 diamond is set into? People approach me and ask if my ring is a full carat, and it's actually almost a full 2 carats! I often wondered if the 4 prong head holding it, makes the diamond appear smaller? From the front, and side profile, the roundness of the 6 prong stuller head (although much smaller than a 2 carat head) is bigger than the one on my current solitaire. So...I am wondering if I get the 2 carat head (6 prong) for the solstice, would my diamond suddenly appear much bigger than it is now in it's current setting? This kind of upsets me, since I asked the jeweler when he ruined my double prong head, if the 6 prong solstice would make my diamond look symetrial and larger, and he said, "NO, it would just have bulkier prongs, alot of gold, and the 4 prong setting would showcase my diamond better" I am starting to think I should have went with my gut instinct!

DSC01680 (2).JPG

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Another pic

DSC01678 (2).JPG

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be a subjective issue. My stone came in a 6 prong tiffany style setting. I put it into a simple 4 prong setting, and the diamond looks much bigger IMO (and DH's opinion also). So having seen the exact same stone in the 2 different style heads, I know for me I'd not want to go back to 6 prong. Okay, I'd entertain the idea if I were going to go MWM with significant side stones maybe, but not in any stock setting. If you really want it to look bigger, why don't you consider a halo? Like the Jack Klege you had liked earlier. Maybe the type of ring where you don't even wear a WB because the ER itself is the showpiece. Just an idea. BTW, you always have such nice nails! Sheesh, I cringe to think of mine.
15.gif

ETA: The main difference I'm seeing in those 2 heads is your current setting looks too high. I think that might be minimizing your stone a bit. The other setting is much lower, more like what I have where the culet is much closer to the shank. It still sits up high because of the size 1.77, but not as high as yours does currently.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input Lyra, much appreciated. I would LOVE..LOVE..LOVE a halo style ring like the one by Jack Kelege, I lust over! HOWEVER..NOBODY will make it for me. I swear, the jewelers around here don't want business. They don't want to set my stone, into ANYTHING it seems. Price isn't even an issue, I would pay thousands for a showstopper of a ring. I hate the setting my diamond is in, but as you know, after 3 attempts to set it, the jeweler basically said, here it is, take it or leave it! This same jeweler told me, he would order the stuller head if I needed it, but take it to another jeweler to have it set, they won't reset it...even if I wanted them to make me a custom mount (halo), they won't! It's not like I was a nightmare customer..I paid big bucks for the diamond, and wanted it set properly, that's all! It wasn't my fault the prong broke off after two days on my finger, and they turned it into a freak show trying to fix it! So...as much as I drool over all these beautiful settings, and try to vision what my diamond would look like in them..it's almost hopeless..since nobody will help me out! I just thought it was odd that the 1 carat head, looked larger than the 2 carat head I have right now (which I hate). Hmmmmm...I wonder if my hubby would be offended if I sold the diamond ring, and wore a plain gold band!
emcrook.gif

Oh..the nails? Gel coating over my real nails (we don't do acrylic here in Canada, we're big on gel, or BioSculpture, all natural, and good for your nails..I think they look more natural than other methods. Thanks for the compliment!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why don''t you contact Leon Mege since you like the double prong; I bet he would make a gorgeous setting for you. You shouldn''t settle for something you don''t like.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beau, I''m in the same province as you!
41.gif
I can''t believe no one will work with you. What about ordering a semi-mount from the US and just having someone set the stone in it? That way you''re not sending your stone across the border, you''re just importing the setting. That''s what I plan to do eventually (next year). As long as whoever you''re dealing with will make sure the head is sized properly for your stone, that should work. Plus, if you didn''t actually like the setting, you could return it before you set your stone. Exceldiamonds.com have some nice semi-mounts at reasonable prices, if you wanted something to wear now.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
The band is thinner on the empty setting -- that's always a part of the equation. (Many people think that thinner bands make the stone appear larger -- and personally, I agree with that.)

Also, the prongs on the empty setting are spread out, ready to accept a stone. Once the stone was set, the prongs would appear shorter, and more tightly "closed", if that makes sense.

Also, the head on the empty setting seems a little more rounded/curvy/swoopy than the other one, and that too, can add to the illusion of a fuller (larger) head, and therefore a larger stone.

The "What makes a stone look bigger -- 4-prong or 6-prong?" debate is always a lively one. All other things being equal... my humble opinion is that both looks can be lovely, but regarding *size* -- it's generally a "wash".

Just my 2 cents, of course!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 7:37:30 PM
Author: lyra
Beau, I''m in the same province as you!
41.gif
I can''t believe no one will work with you. What about ordering a semi-mount from the US and just having someone set the stone in it? That way you''re not sending your stone across the border, you''re just importing the setting. That''s what I plan to do eventually (next year). As long as whoever you''re dealing with will make sure the head is sized properly for your stone, that should work. Plus, if you didn''t actually like the setting, you could return it before you set your stone. Exceldiamonds.com have some nice semi-mounts at reasonable prices, if you wanted something to wear now.
Lyra...it would be so easy to buy a new mount, and take it to the jeweler to have my stone reset, but it seems...nobody around here wants to set my diamond? I offered to buy a mount from them and have it set, one jeweler said no, since I didn''t buy the diamond from her she didn''t want to "touch it"..another jeweler said he does CAD..whatever...but again, he thought I wanted an entire ring, and when I told him I already have the diamond, he said he only creates rings when you buy the diamond from him. Another jeweler outright said "I don''t have time to set your diamond, I''m so behind trying to set diamonds that clients bought from me..and it wouldn''t be fair to them". It''s like I have the plague or something. I even offered to pay a talented goldsmith here in town, DOUBLE whatever he charges, just to reset my diamond into a mount and head I would provide...NOPE!! I don''t get it. If you live in Ontario, can you think of anyone I can send my ring to for resetting? Skippy mentioned Leon, but I refuse to send my diamond out of the country, so that isn''t an option. Thanks. Oh..your ring, looks a lot like mine, it''s freaky...is it the same size diamond pretty much? I like how the sides of your cathedral don''t come up as high as mine. I seen that mount on the Stuller site, and thought it would look good with a 6 prong solstice head, and my diamond.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get Barry''s in Burlington to set my stone. It''s the same size as yours basically, 1.77. I''ve read on here about places in Toronto too, surely someone in the diamond district there would do it for you. I know it''s a long way away for you. There is the PS vendor in Thornhill too, have you tried contacting him? Maybe if you ordered a setting through him he would set your stone. USA Cert Diamonds. Or, as a very last resort, upgrade! heh heh.
31.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
The new setting sits lower and it has more prongs so from the side with the prongs it looks bulkier so it may seem as though there''s "more there" with the new setting. However, the old setting allows more of the diamond to show, but it''s higher set so the prongs give the whole head a slimmer, taller look. I think that''s the eye foolery there. I have always thought that the more high-set heads have given diamonds a smaller look.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
beau, I know you said you refuse to send your ring out of the country, and I can only guess you think it will get lost. While that can happen, it''s pretty rare. And there are people that send their stuff not only across a border, but across an ocean, with no problems.

It would just open up so many beautiful opportunities if you would reconsider that option!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve worked with Damiani in Woodbridge before & have had no trouble from them. I cant imagine that if a setting was purchased at a store locally that they wouldnt set it. I can where they might refuse to take responsibility if anything should happen to a stone not purchased there but to outright not set is strange.

Lynne is right, the prongs are open & once set & hugging the stone, will look smaller. Also I think the swoopy, scoopy (
26.gif
), visually adds to the look of larger too.

I would drive over to Buffalo, & send the stone to the vendor of your choice. The U.S Post will insure up to $25,000 an item, which is much higher than UPS or Fed. Ex will. It wont cost that much either, maybe $100 tops. My friend did this with her stone & had a great experience. Then when time to pick up, have it shipped to Fed. Ex. depot behind airport & you''re good to go. (Fed. Ex is easier to pick up from).

You''re nails do look fantastic.
36.gif
I''m from Toronto & have been wearing acrylics for over 10yrs. I suppose its a matter of preference.
28.gif
10.gif

Good luck on the ring!

Judy
:)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My diamond is set in a high, six prong head. I think it makes the diamond look larger. The prongs are very small, so all you really see is the stone. Also, the head was made to measure to the diameter--not carat weight---of my diamond. You haven''t been happy with your setting since day one, IIRC. Maybe you need to start new...with another jeweler. What do you think?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 12:08:20 PM
Author: Ellen
beau, I know you said you refuse to send your ring out of the country, and I can only guess you think it will get lost. While that can happen, it''s pretty rare. And there are people that send their stuff not only across a border, but across an ocean, with no problems.

It would just open up so many beautiful opportunities if you would reconsider that option!

ditto!!!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions ladies! Lyra, do you know if this PS vendor in Thornill has a website, or do you remember the name? Anyone? There are a few reasons I don't wish to send my diamond out of country, one being, YES terrified it will get lost/stolen, whatever. Also, they might swap it for a different diamond, then how do I prove that they did that? I would rather use someone I can meet with, get a feel for, a possible watch them reset my diamond! Yes, I would like to start from scratch...I got the diamond, I just need a setting and a SETTER!! Somoene suggested upgrading? Do you mean my diamond? It is an upgrade, I just got it, and wouldn't want anything bigger,or different! I don't think there is an upgrade policy anyway, when I e-mailed then store I bought it from, asking them that...they dodged my question, so I assume NO uprgade policy which is fine with me. I always thought diamonds looked bigger set higher as well. I once had a 1.5 diamond in the tiffany repro. setting, and it was set low (squatty), looked small, and like a dollar store ring (IMO). As for the nails...LOL. Acrylic seems so hard to me now...the gel or Biosculptre allows your nial to bend a bit, more felxible, less breakage/damage. I guess it is personal preference, but I think you should try the BioSculpture, it is odorless (unlike the stron odor of Acrylic), and I bet once you try it , you won;t go back to Acrylic!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
A reputable PS vendor would never switch your stone. And from what I''ve read, that''s a pretty unlikely scenario at any fairly reputable jeweler.

Plus, I assume you have insurance on your diamond, right? And if you sent it somewhere, you''d send it insured as well, right? So if your diamond did get lost (again-highly unlikely) you could get a new one pretty easily.

It does seem pretty strange that none of your local jewelers will set your diamond, but if that''s how it is, I think you should open up your options. PS vendors have great selection and you could get something you''re really happy with instead of whatever a local place happens to have.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 6:35:55 PM
Author: thing2of2
A reputable PS vendor would never switch your stone. And from what I''ve read, that''s a pretty unlikely scenario at any fairly reputable jeweler.

I agree. you can also just send your stone to one of the independant appraiser''s to act as the middleman. they would see your stone, send it to whomever was going to do the setting, that person would send it back to the appraiser to verify it was the same stone, the workmanship was acceptable etc. and then back to you.

I understand not wanting to ship your stone though so if you really are outright against the idea, i hope you can find someone to set your stone into a setting you can really love and one you actually want to keep.

sera

Ideal_Rock
It seems to me when I''ve seen small stones set in six prongs, they seem to be swallowed up by the prongs. On the larger stones I don''t recall thinking a stone looked larger or smaller depending on the prongs. With fancy-ish prongs I''ve seen RB look snowflake-like (6 prongs) and squarish (4 prong).
Idunno.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2007 6:25:31 PM
Author: beau13
Thanks for the suggestions ladies! Lyra, do you know if this PS vendor in Thornill has a website, or do you remember the name? Anyone? There are a few reasons I don''t wish to send my diamond out of country, one being, YES terrified it will get lost/stolen, whatever. Also, they might swap it for a different diamond, then how do I prove that they did that? I would rather use someone I can meet with, get a feel for, a possible watch them reset my diamond! Yes, I would like to start from scratch...I got the diamond, I just need a setting and a SETTER!! Somoene suggested upgrading? Do you mean my diamond? It is an upgrade, I just got it, and wouldn''t want anything bigger,or different! I don''t think there is an upgrade policy anyway, when I e-mailed then store I bought it from, asking them that...they dodged my question, so I assume NO uprgade policy which is fine with me. I always thought diamonds looked bigger set higher as well. I once had a 1.5 diamond in the tiffany repro. setting, and it was set low (squatty), looked small, and like a dollar store ring (IMO). As for the nails...LOL. Acrylic seems so hard to me now...the gel or Biosculptre allows your nial to bend a bit, more felxible, less breakage/damage. I guess it is personal preference, but I think you should try the BioSculpture, it is odorless (unlike the stron odor of Acrylic), and I bet once you try it , you won;t go back to Acrylic!
I linked to it above. It''s called USA Certed, but it''s in Thornhill. I haven''t dealt with them, but maybe they can help, and they are a PS vendor. That was me that said upgrade. I didn''t mean from scratch, but I was also JK!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again Lyra, you are always so helpful..now where is Kellyfish, don't you have anything to add...since you think my thread is entertaining? Does anyone else here think that a jeweler messing up my beautiful diamond ring is FUNNY? I mean, it had nothing to do with me, not like I was asking for alot, or being picky...etc.I'm sorry, everyone here has been so helpful, but it seems a couple (or maybe just one), who frequents another message board, and badmouths me for whatever reason, might be a tad jealous. I guess because I have the diamond ?? Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input, I am proud to have a DIAMOND...and a wonderful loving hubby who gave it to me, and the setting doesn't really matter! I'll figure it all out..eventually! Oh, and if anyone thinks this thread makes me a "troll", then please let me know, and please delete the thread...I thought I was looking for some helpful advice, but since I have been accused of being a troll by this person...

Her words:
"PS--Rocky Talky section--current troll thread (you know who)--I'm having a nice time watching it.....
It's the one about the setting making a stone look bigger. She's about to get po'd.....also looks like her local jewelers won't work with her anymore..."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I enjoy this site, and I use this site to gain knowledge about the diamond industry, make friends, and share our interests, so I am hoping the mods will keep these "stalker type people" away.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
might be a tad jealous. I guess because I have the diamond ??
...and you are the only person who has a diamond? You think a little much of yourself. If you''re soo much better than those "sim lovers" why are trolling that board constantly so worried about what they think??

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
sorry for snapping. I think it''s time I shut the computer off.

clipper37

Rough_Rock
i love the holidays.

for the setting~it is all relative, the larger the prong/shank, the lower the contrast btwn their size and that of the diamond.

I had looked at this setting previously cause i felt it a beautiful setting, but concluded there are others which make a stone appear to pop more (i''m at the one carat end of the spectrum, so it is a bigger issue).

Get another setting, you''re obviously not happy with this one...i''m surprised that a stone sized anywhere near as you describe is able to be overshadowed to such an extent.....i wouldn''t worry about ppl asking if it is over a carat, most people don''t have a clue about anything~period, it comes down to what you like, since you''re wearing it(tough call, maybe you''re just psychotic and will find err in anything, jk babe-you''ll get the right one soon enough).

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Hi Beau13, Woooooo I have had my 1.66 (woo smaller) in both a 6 and 4 prong setting...I LOVE THE SIX!!!! I think it makes my stone look biggest.... The 4 although very pretty.....just didn''t make it pop like my size... Now on the other hand, I have a 1.10ct that looks really nice in a 4 prong ;0 Soooo SILLY!!! Keep this in mind a six prong setting has a really hard time sitting next to a diamond band, where a 4 prong sits much nicer..... :) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I noticed your other thread about 5 stone verses eternity and I have both..... I love both.... they give my solitare a totally different look.... I also have a plain band that I love tooo.... I switch with the mood... I recommend them both :)

Don''t listen to those who are negative.... I have had my stones in more settings than most people on PS but it is my money sooooooooooo I don''t really care what others think... I just love coming here for the sweet, sincerely people.... I enjoy seeing the new options and creations of all of the upbeat people. I have learned so much here. There are soooo many nice people.... There have been times I was almost embarrassed to post but the really kind ones ralley in your joy and are sad for you when you are sad....

If I had to give you any advice I would tell you to send your stone to Whiteflash or Pearlmans.... They are first class!!!! They watch your stone like a HAWK!!! I 100% trust them both and highly recommend them..... They both deal all over the world...

I too was like you and couldn''t quite get happy with my settings and they really did a great job making me happy... They are working on a few more projects for me.... I have no real hobbies so I guess it will be Jewelry :) WOOOOOO

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I felt the same way about people seeing my new BIG Stone (to me anyway) and thinking it was a 3/4 ct... Hehhehehehe There is nothing wrong with a 3/4ct....however, I wanted my stone to look it''s best and biggest..........hehehehehehe

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
ITA with Woobug
2.gif
You can change your ring until you''re completely happy with it!! I also have the 5 stone wedding band with my six prong head. They were designed to go together...and that''s what they do. I can''t imagine why there are any negative posts on this thread, either. They make no sense and are not helpful.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Woobug, and Rising Sun, you guys are the best, you make me, smile, make me laugh, and are always so genuine and sincere. I guess we shall just ignore the trouble makers, who like to stir the pot for NO apparent reason. I enjoy coming here too...alot of lovely ladies, who are just that! I don''t know what to do with the setting, but I''m not overly worried. I have a drop dead gorgeous diamond, and eventually, when I know what I want for sure...it will be even more spectacular. I love both your rings...Rising Sun took some pics for me before to show me the height, and of her gorgeous 5 stone diamond band. I think I would like the 6 prongs too...more round looking, and maybe more protection for the diamond (being set so high in my 4 prong). Thanks so much for your advice, and lovely comments ladies. It''s women like you that make Pricescope the wonderful place it is!!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 6:25:31 PM
Author: beau13
Thanks for the suggestions ladies! Lyra, do you know if this PS vendor in Thornill has a website, or do you remember the name? Anyone? There are a few reasons I don't wish to send my diamond out of country, one being, YES terrified it will get lost/stolen, whatever. Also, they might swap it for a different diamond, then how do I prove that they did that? I would rather use someone I can meet with, get a feel for, a possible watch them reset my diamond! Yes, I would like to start from scratch...I got the diamond, I just need a setting and a SETTER!! Somoene suggested upgrading? Do you mean my diamond? It is an upgrade, I just got it, and wouldn't want anything bigger,or different! I don't think there is an upgrade policy anyway, when I e-mailed then store I bought it from, asking them that...they dodged my question, so I assume NO uprgade policy which is fine with me. I always thought diamonds looked bigger set higher as well. I once had a 1.5 diamond in the tiffany repro. setting, and it was set low (squatty), looked small, and like a dollar store ring (IMO). As for the nails...LOL. Acrylic seems so hard to me now...the gel or Biosculptre allows your nial to bend a bit, more felxible, less breakage/damage. I guess it is personal preference, but I think you should try the BioSculpture, it is odorless (unlike the stron odor of Acrylic), and I bet once you try it , you won;t go back to Acrylic!
I think the solstice setting is very similar to the tiffany repro. To me they are beautiful, but I think this will be similar to what you had before and didn't like personally. That said, if you're just looking for other opinions, I think your stone would look STUNNING in a solstice setting.
30.gif
I'm partial though, as you know I have the dollar store tiffany repro.
3.gif
2.gif

clipper37

Rough_Rock

beau13

Ideal_Rock
JENN, your ring is gorgeous...I meant the repro I had was "cheap", I bought it from a NON-PS Vendor, can''t say the name, but something like "Better Than ____", and let me tell you the quality just isn''t there,(nor is the service) so stay away from them!! I included a pic of the ring I had, it weighed NOTHING, so thin and flimsy...the pics of it looked better than the actual ring. There was no diamond in it, I was trying the style, and thankfully didn''t put my diamond in it. You can see in the pic, the head is so squatty looking, that when I compared it to the rings they sold at the dollar store, i seen no difference in quality!!That''s what I meant! I love the height and overall look of your ring...it''s GORGEOUS!! Susi''s solstice is gorgeous too..you can tell which ones come from a GREAT vendor!!

squatty ring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results