shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it me or are OEC's more expensive than MRB's now?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone, I have just started my OEC search. I was able to try on a few OEC rings IRL today.

I love the chunky facets of the OEC's but after doing a quick search on James Allen it seems like MRB's of the same size are less expensive than comparable OEC's. I would really love a OEC, but the consumer in me is concerned about overpaying.

Thoughts for this OEC newbie?

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone, I have just started my OEC search. I was able to try on a few OEC rings IRL today.

I love the chunky facets of the OEC's but after doing a quick search on James Allen it seems like MRB's of the same size are less expensive than comparable OEC's. I would really love a OEC, but the consumer in me is concerned about overpaying.

I was thinking the same thing when I’m looking for an OEC last year! I think so too

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very curious about the responses too. Maybe the rest of the world is catching up to this as this isn’t even a trend on PS. It seems antique cuts are as popular as modern cuts.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

I would have thought it was the opposite? Maybe it's because you're looking for a high colour/clarity OEC? I can't compare since I prefer the lower colours lol

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of what I see on IG are OEC. They seem less commoditized than the performance-chasing "super-duper-ideal" arms race. And many of the colors are more interesting, imo.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi @maryjane04 I'm looking for 3.5+ J/K/L color. With clarity, I'm just looking for eye clean.

This doesn't seem like a tall order. But I'm not having any luck.

For comparison, I found a 4 carat J/SI2 (Excellent Cut) for $21k on James Allen.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Reactions: caf

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @maryjane04 I'm looking for 3.5+ J/K/L color. With clarity, I'm just looking for eye clean.

This doesn't seem like a tall order. But I'm not having any luck.

For comparison, I found a 4 carat J/SI2 (Excellent Cut) for $21k on James Allen.

Maybe because there's more demand for those specs on OEC'S since they tend to recut them into MRB. And there's only a small amount of them in larger sizes.

If I was looking for an MRB there are so many to choose from, why would I choose a J SI2? There are probably many more J SI2s around. I guess it is a supply and demand thing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say, from what I see, yes, true old cuts (not modern cuts re cut to look old cut) command a premium over modern cuts. In larger sizes. They are a limited resource. True old cuts in larger sizes with beautiful faceting. I am speaking from my experience only. For what I paid for my OECs I definitely could have bought modern cuts higher in color. But for me it was worth it as true old cuts move me in a way modern cuts or newly cut "old" cuts don't.

Having said that, if one is willing to search high and low on sites such as eBay there are bargains still to be found. If time and energy aren't resources one is conserving one can still find deals but they are fewer and far between compared to just a decade ago regrading old cuts.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I can recommend reaching out to Alex Parks. He’s on Instagram as @parksfinegroup. He has a preternatural ability to find large, old cuts. He’s a straight shooter and his prices are beyond fair. He found my VS OMC, not as large as your looking for, but even a 2 carat old mine original is getting hard to find. He’s across the street from GIA, so if finds one that’s not graded, he can submit it for grading pretty easily.

Last edited:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I can recommend reaching out to Alex Parks. He’s ion Instagram as @parksfinegroup. He has a preternatural ability to find large, old cuts. He’s a straight shooter and his prices are beyond fair. He found my VS OMC, not as large as your looking for, but even a 2 carat old mine original is getting hard to find. He’s across the street from GIA, so if finds one that’s not graded, he can submit it for grading pretty easily.

And for that reason, his stuff sell like hot cakes :)

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
And for that reason, his stuff sell like hot cakes :)

That’s so true (I stalk his page daily) but I think you can contact him and put him on the hunt for a specific stone that is not chucked out to the inter web masses on a first comer bases.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
That’s so true (I stalk his page daily) but I think you can contact him and put him on the hunt for a specific stone that is not chucked out to the inter web masses on a first comer bases.

Omg I stalk it daily and multiple times a day too. I can't remember somewhere I read on here, he can hunt for items starting from 10k (this 3.5ct would definitely fit the bill)? Which makes sense because he gets tons of requests on a daily.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These were old cuts from Alex and TDF delicious. I wonder if a PSer bought them? I hope so and I hope he/she will share with us more pics if they did.

SWOON!

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.52.33 AM.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @missy @maryjane04 @caolsen ! I’ve been researching (stalking) for a few months now but didn’t feel comfortable reaching out to any dealers until I actually got to try on OEC’s IRL.

I wanted to make a trip to OWD to try on stones this summer but got impatient. Yesterday, I was able to try on a few gorgeous rings at a local, high end jewelry store. Unfortunately, I confirmed that I can’t go below a GIA J color. Interestingly, I tried on an E, G, I, J, and L. And the J was my favorite. This was a surprise to me as my EC is an F.

I’d love an OEC. But as this won’t be an ORTRTA for me (I love my original er and will never sell her), I am looking for good value i.e. a unicorn!

Thanks for your feedback and advice-the hunt continues!

P.S. I have also seen some beautiful transitional cuts. Is it bad to consider those?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy @maryjane04 @caolsen ! I’ve been researching (stalking) for a few months now but didn’t feel comfortable reaching out to any dealers until I actually got to try on OEC’s IRL.

I wanted to make a trip to OWD to try on stones this summer but got impatient. Yesterday, I was able to try on a few gorgeous rings at a local, high end jewelry store. Unfortunately, I confirmed that I can’t go below a GIA J color. Interestingly, I tried on an E, G, I, J, and L. And the J was my favorite.

I’d love an OEC. But as this won’t been an ORTRTA for me (I love my original er and will never sell her), I am looking for good value i.e. a unicorn!

Thanks for your feedback and advice-the hunt continues!

P.S. I have also seen some beautiful transitional cuts. Is it bad to consider those?

I cannot recommend OWD highly enough. Adam has given more than a few PSers a wonderful old cut experience. His inventory is incredible and his prices fair. And he’s so easy to talk with and his passion for old cuts is clear. He’s very patient and generous with his time. If you can make an appointment with him just to look I recommend you doing so. You will learn so much and seeing in person is everything with old cuts. Good luck. ❤️

FWIW I have a sweet spot for GIA J OECS. :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I cannot recommend OWD highly enough. Adam has given more than a few PSers a wonderful old cut experience. His inventory is incredible and his prices fair. And he’s so easy to talk with and his passion for old cuts is clear. He’s very patient and generous with his time. If you can make an appointment with him just to look I recommend you doing so. You will learn so much and seeing in person is everything with old cuts. Good luck. ❤️

FWIW I have a sweet spot for GIA J OECS. :)

@missy I have long admired your Bubbalah-it may have planted the seed for my obsession!

I did reach out to Adam last night and will make a trip to visit OWD if I can’t find anything before summer.

I’m wondering, in your experience, have you ever seen an M that wasn’t super warm? It seems like good value can still be found in M colored stones.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I have long admired your Bubbalah-it may have planted the seed for my obsession!

I did reach out to Adam last night and will make a trip to visit OWD if I can’t find anything before summer.

I’m wondering, in your experience, have you ever seen an M that wasn’t super warm? It seems like good value can still be found in M colored stones.

No. I’m sorry to say but an M (GIA) is an M. For me, my tolerance is generally J and above. YMMV and each stone should be evaluated on its own merits. But an M will always be warm. In certain lighting it might be whiter but in the end it is an M and will appear as an M.

It’s all about your preferences though and there is no right or wrong when it comes to this. It’s what makes your heart sing.

Sometimes that takes time. Learning your preferences. That’s ok.

Take your time. And see as many old cuts as you can.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
No. I’m sorry to say but an M (GIA) is an M. For me, my tolerance is generally J and above. YMMV and each stone should be evaluated on its own merits. But an M will always be warm. In certain lighting it might be whiter but in the end it is an M and will appear as an M.

It’s all about your preferences though and there is no right or wrong when it comes to this. It’s what makes your heart sing.

Sometimes that takes time. Learning your preferences. That’s ok.

Take your time. And see as many old cuts as you can.

Thanks @missy . You confirmed what I feared. I will just have to be patient.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
I’ve discussed OECs with Alex and he says most are poorly cut, hence why he doesn’t source many. He has amazing deals but you may be waiting a very long time.

This could be something to inquire about as it fits all your criteria and isn’t that far off in price, esp if you’re just looking for a loose stone - https://www.bardys.com/collections/...amond-platinum-engagement-ring-crown-mounting

Also, Poli Trading Co on IG has great options once in a while. I asked about these 3ct stones (both sold) and they were priced at $19-20k which I think is so reasonable - https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPblcml7EO/?igshid=117avf5gl9hs9

Diana from SinCityFinds also has a great eye. She sold this 3.31ct J for $24.5k - https://www.instagram.com/p/CJKBVVTBJUN/?igshid=lqk6od28c0ew

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Aurora26 ! I will check out Poli Trading.

I’m kicking myself about the 3.31 J from Sin City Finds. I hadn’t seen one IRL yet so I didn’t have the confidence to go for it.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Aurora26 ! I will check out Poli Trading.

I’m kicking myself about the 3.31 J from Sin City Finds. I hadn’t seen one IRL yet so I didn’t have the confidence to go for it.

That was a rare find! But also it’s more on the Transitional end so may not have been your taste anyways. There’s always more diamonds out there, always!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
That was a rare find! But also it’s more on the Transitional end so may not have been your taste anyways. There’s always more diamonds out there, always!

@Aurora26 I would have been happy with it!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it seems like the larger old cuts I'm seeing now are warmer, M, N, O, P. My OEC is a K and it looks white to me and I only see a tiny bit of tint from the side, but I don't think I'm that color sensitive. I have a few smaller L colored OEC ( .80-.90) and they look white too, But I have an M AVC and in that I definitely see the tint. I think that looking for a larger, higher colored OEC will take time, but you will find it with patience. And yes, Adam would be a great choice since he seems to have a large inventory.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it seems like the larger old cuts I'm seeing now are warmer, M, N, O, P. My OEC is a K and it looks white to me and I only see a tiny bit of tint from the side, but I don't think I'm that color sensitive. I have a few smaller L colored OEC ( .80-.90) and they look white too, But I have an M AVC and in that I definitely see the tint. I think that looking for a larger, higher colored OEC will take time, but you will find it with patience. And yes, Adam would be a great choice since he seems to have a large inventory.

@Lookinagain I appreciate your and everyone's insight. I know I am late to the game!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results