shape
carat
color
clarity

Is any amount of porosity acceptable ?

JohnnyKarate

Rough_Rock
Hey guys just a quick question. I'm getting a ring cast in 18k gold and the first time around it came out with porosity. The jewelers re-doing it but said he has no control over the porosity. He says he is using a casting grain. So my question is, is any amount of porosity acceptable ? If there is porosity the second time around should i go elsewhere ? Is it too much to ask to have a porosity free piece made ? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask your jeweler this. Fundamentally, there will always be a certain amount of gas impurities in any torch melted casting, but they may not be visible and they don't have to melt with a torch. Some have induction melting (these are very expensive and small shops don't usually have them). There are manual ways to eliminate surface reaching porosity in most castings and it's just a matter of work. In both cases, this is a matter of time, and time is a matter of money. You need to have a conversation about both your standards and theirs. '10x perfect' is possible, but it may not be what they think they've agreed to do or what you've agreed to pay for.

JohnnyKarate

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results