color
clarity

Is a VS1 always eye-clean?

a03b

Rough_Rock
Or are there any exceptions?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not heard of any exceptions in GIA or AGS graded stones.
From other labs, yes.

I suppose if you had superhuman eyesight there might be an exception, though.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Defining eye-clean can also help with this question. At B2C the definition is:

no inclusions seen in the face-up orientation at a distance of 25cm, under normal lighting, when viewed by a gemologist with 20/20 vision.

This is comparable to many other vendors. If you have someone with exceptional (20/15) vision, or a particular sensitivity it is possible for them to pick-out clarity characteristics that most people will not see.

In general and in the vast, vast majority of circumstances GIA (or AGS) graded VS1 diamonds are completely eye-clean.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
I thought inclusions were graded in part based on their size relative to the size of the diamond, so that large-carat stones may in fact be non-eyeclean even at high clarity grades? Some of this is discussed in this old thread about VS2 stones. Does this caveat not apply at VS1, too?

The same thread linked above also calls out step cut diamonds as exceptions to rules-of-thumb about eye-cleanliness...

Maybe some of the experts can set the record straight. :confused:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
a03b|1465534650|4042521 said:
Or are there any exceptions?

I actually started this reply a few days ago and was interrupted, so I am going to finish it now.

Once, back in the 80's I was taking a GIA continuing education course at the Tucson Gem show. (Actually for three days before the show.) We had the fabulous Jim Luce as the main instructor.)

There was a 4 ct diamond that came around in the grading exercise. It had a small but eye visible inclusion from the top. No one in the class graded it higher than an SI1, and several graded it SI2 and I1.

It had a GIA report as a VS1 and everyone howled their disbelief. In private conversation with Mr. Luce he told me that he too disagreed with the grade, but as the instructor he could not do so out loud to the class. It was, what we call in the trade, a lucky cert.

So, yes, there are exceptions, but eye visible VS1s are right up there with hens teeth in quantity.

Wink

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Larger stones like example above may have eye visible inclusions. The size of inclusion is relative to the size of the stone.

Some VS1 stones may be slightly milky - due to graining. They'll appear eye clean - but would appear slightly hazy under super strong spot light.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The_Diamond_Connoisseur

Rough_Rock
Trade
Some larger (5 carat plus) VS1 stones may not be eye clean especially Step cuts. I remember returning a 1.5 carat Round VS1 to a supplier who said I gave him the wrong stone back as it wasn't eye clean. After rechecking under magnification and comparing it to the GIA cert he said "wow this was a lucky VS1". Generally speaking VS1's should be eye clean, but as with all diamonds you should have an expert inspect it for you.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The_Diamond_Connoisseur|1465938155|4043998 said:
Some larger (5 carat plus) VS1 stones may not be eye clean especially Step cuts. I remember returning a 1.5 carat Round VS1 to a supplier who said I gave him the wrong stone back as it wasn't eye clean. After rechecking under magnification and comparing it to the GIA cert he said "wow this was a lucky VS1". Generally speaking VS1's should be eye clean, but as with all diamonds you should have an expert inspect it for you.
I agree with what others have said. The exceptions would generally be confined to large stones as the allowable inclusion size scales up with the size of the stone. And of course there are cases of mis-grades, which are generally not challenged by dealers who receive the benefit!
As was also mentioned, inclusions are easier to see in step cuts, so that can increases the chances. a 5 ct emerald cut with a VS1 size black crystal in the table could very well fail the eye-clean test.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results