shape
carat
color
clarity

Irrational fear/ phobia help

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a giant black snake under the garage in my last house. My poor housecleaner was paralyzed with fright, so I understand where you're coming from. I think that exposing yourself to pet snakes would be a good start. When we first started dating, my husband introduced me to his friend who was a herpetologist. He let me hold a reticulated python and it was so cool. I think snakes are awesome. Maybe start small with a little pet snake.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw that slithering Eden crusher again this morning. Waiting for pest control now. As much as I know they are harmless and that I need exposure to overcome, I just can't.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to garden too @ceg and would probably never be in the garden again if I found a snake. Go shopping this afternoon Ceg. It’s a great distraction LOL

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yall are not going to believe this shit!!!! OMG - we have roof rats in the attic. The snakes are climbing in through the weep holes, up the walls, to get the rats. Pest control says it's an easy fix. I am sweatiing and absolutely freaking out! I told DH if they charge $1 million, I will pay it or we have to move. Thank goodness I am going out of town tomorrow until Saturday. This is the worst thing ever!!!!!!!!!:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there's the food source!
Very interesting. I understand how upsetting this must be!
Hopefully it will be resolved when you get back.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yall are not going to believe this shit!!!! OMG - we have roof rats in the attic. The snakes are climbing in through the weep holes, up the walls, to get the rats. Pest control says it's an easy fix. I am sweatiing and absolutely freaking out! I told DH if they charge $1 million, I will pay it or we have to move. Thank goodness I am going out of town tomorrow until Saturday. This is the worst thing ever!!!!!!!!!:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

Ew!!!

Glad you saw the snake and called pest control! That is horrible. Enjoy being out of town!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am sorry @ceg! How scary for you and I am glad they can take care of it easily. I laughed out loud when I read what you wrote here:
I told DH if they charge $1 million, I will pay it or we have to move

I totally get how you are feeling and I have been there and said that to my dh. So glad you are going out of town for a few days while they take care of this for you and hang in there. It will soon be over. (((Hugs))).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard of a lot of people getting the roof rats, especially if there are large trees by the house. I guess I thought it couldn't happen to us!! Oh gosh, I think I need a shower. YUCK!

I would leave today except I have to host the Easter party for my daughter's class tomorrow. I may get a hotel room tonight.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard of a lot of people getting the roof rats, especially if there are large trees by the house. I guess I thought it couldn't happen to us!! Oh gosh, I think I need a shower. YUCK!

I would leave today except I have to host the Easter party for my daughter's class tomorrow. I may get a hotel room tonight.

This is exactly how I would feel if we had a bug infestation. If it's not too much trouble get a hotel room. Worth the peace of mind.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What the heck are roof rats? Are they outside or in your attic? If there were any type of rat in my attic I’d be at a very nice hotel!! The thought of them just being outside is enough to freak me out. I’m sorry @ceg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What the heck are roof rats? Are they outside or in your attic? If there were any type of rat in my attic I’d be at a very nice hotel!! The thought of them just being outside is enough to freak me out. I’m sorry @ceg

Rats that take up nest in the attic. Generally only in the attic at night and rarely, if ever, venture into the house. They are big too! Pretty common here. I need a valium.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rats that take up nest in the attic. Generally only in the attic at night and rarely, if ever, venture into the house. They are big too! Pretty common here. I need a valium.

Move! Snakes and roof rats common there!?! Nope... Not a place to live!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Move! Snakes and roof rats common there!?! Nope... Not a place to live!

Yep, Texas. Maybe why it's so cheap here.

Alligators in the yard are somewhat common too. Lol, not scared of those though!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Say "roof rats" three times real fast.....:P2

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally read that as roof CATS. Thought that was a strange idea. Well, at least you know why you have a snake hanging around. We've had mice before, and I still have nightmares about it. I didn't want to hurt them, but they had to go, so.:sick:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg, Holy Cow!!! (okay that not what I really said). Take the Valium.

Please go to a hotel tonight. I thought we had a mouse once in the attic and that freaked me out. Rats would be much worse.

September_Blue

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have a huge fear of snakes. It’s the solo reason I won’t visit Australia.
My only suggestion is a mongoose because I read a book about them as a kid and they seemed on top of it.

I wish I could offer sage advice, but I can commiserate. I’m sorry.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh hell no.
I hope you are somewhere else tonight! I couldn’t take it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg how are you doing? How was last night? Hope everything was calm and you will soon be rid of this upsetting issue.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my goodness.:eek2: I think I would still be screaming. rats AND snakes? I hope you had (several) drinks.

We've got mangos growing which means....fruit rats which means....snakes of course. Oh and I had to save another oppossom from the dog last night. Last time it was gruesome. I do not want to have to handle that type of carnage again.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in to see how @ceg is doing??? Did you stay in a hotel last night?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're all handling it. I am out of town now trying to forget it all! Hopefully it will be critter free when I get back. Wow, I haven't had a shock like that ever! Totally crazy and we had no idea at all!​

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it interesting that you had snakes climbing inside the walls into your attic, and all the while you never knew it and they never attacked or hurt you? They were only interested in the rats.
They were protecting you from the rats! LOL
Does this make them any less scary to you?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in rural Australia, snakes, rats, mice, spiders. I don't like poisonous snakes but I don't really fear them (have smacked the odd one with a shovel) we are talking in remote Australia where they are no pest catchers. When we first moved to the city we bought a house within walking distance to the centre of the city and came home one night to find a snake in the kitchen. It was more the shock of entering the house and almost walking on it that made me scream out to my husband but it wasn't a poisonous snake so no harm done.

Probably the weirdest snake encounter was I went diving in Fiji and they have Black and White striped (thick banded) sea snakes that are poisonous that are as nosey as anything and swim up to divers to check them out. That happened a few times and I was like beep bleep (inset swear words) that sea snake swam right up to my face ....good to get the adrenaline pumping.

And sharks - I don't really have a phobia but I don't like huge sharks either. I'm always the person the Mosquitoes bite if there are a heap of people, no clue why, I always get bitten multiple times so I go with the same theory in the water I don't want to be the one the shark has on his or her dinner menu.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And sharks - I don't really have a phobia but I don't like huge sharks either. I'm always the person the Mosquitoes bite if there are a heap of people, no clue why, I always get bitten multiple times so I go with the same theory in the water I don't want to be the one the shark has on his or her dinner menu.

My gawd I never even thought of this as a possibility :geek2: I too am the one mosquitos love to bite and at an outdoor party if there are 100 people I will be the one bitten most by the little buggers.:errrr: So your shark theory worries me but I appreciate the food (haha) for thought and you can bet I will be even more vigilant when swimming in the sea.
Making swimming pools more attractive for swimming let me tell you.:lol:

swimming4.gif

@arkieb1 Here's an interesting link.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...s-bite-some-people-more-than-others-10255934/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it interesting that you had snakes climbing inside the walls into your attic, and all the while you never knew it and they never attacked or hurt you? They were only interested in the rats.
They were protecting you from the rats! LOL
Does this make them any less scary to you?

Yes I was thinking the same thing though I definitely prefer rats to snakes and feel for the poor rats. You know rats are pretty intelligent.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-smart-are-rats-3975140

cute-white-rat-120691475-58a5f3ea5f9b58a3c9067915.jpg

Chris Scuffins / Getty Images
While they may have a bad reputation, rats are extremely intelligent animals and make great pets. Rats are natural students, have a strong memory, and are excellent learners. They understand complex concepts and once they learn a navigation route, they do not forget it.

Rat Are Social Animals
Rats are extremely social animals. They become attached to other rats and recognize their own family members.

Rats also easily bond with their human owners and make for affectionate pets. Pet rats enjoy being pet by their owners and sometimes even enjoy a gentle massage, a scratch behind the ears, or a simple tickle. Rats have also been known to return affection by "grooming" their owners. Additionally, they are highly skilled at communication and use high-frequency sounds (that humans cannot hear) to communicate with each other.

Rats Are Playful
Domesticated rats are very gentle and playful creatures. Like a pet dog, a pet rat can learn many tricks and can even respond to its own name. Pet rats can learn to sit up, fetch, jump through a hoop, and even walk on a tightrope. Additionally, rats can be taught to solve puzzles, run through mazes, and perform tricks. Training a pet rat is relatively simple and rats respond well to a food-based reward.

Pet Rats Are Very Clean
Domesticated rats do not like getting dirty and are constantly grooming themselves.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're all handling it. I am out of town now trying to forget it all! Hopefully it will be critter free when I get back. Wow, I haven't had a shock like that ever! Totally crazy and we had no idea at all!​

Hi @ceg, glad you are away while this is getting taken care of and try take your mind off this while you are away. Hopefully when you return home there will be no trace of anything and it will soon be a distant memory for you.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my dream of moving to Texas one day just flew out the window. Snakes, roof rats, alligators? Um, no thanks. :P2 Guess that leaves me with Florida and those huge ass cockroaches! :confused2:

If it makes you feel any better, my list of irrational fears gets longer every time I turn around. Spiders top my list. Big or little, I hate them!!! I'm too scared to get close to them so I can't even kill them. I actually saw one dropping down from my bathroom ceiling last week. I was making my husband (who was taking a shower, mind you) get out to take care of the damn thing. But horror of all horrors, it escaped!:eek-2: It landed on the floor, which caused me to jump up on the toilet and break the freaking toilet seat cover. So at the end of the day: spider gone, toilet broken, and me forced to use the other bathroom because I'm too chicken to go back in there. :wall:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have huge as in OMG cockroaches here too, and in some places they are so large they have cockroach races at pubs and clubs.... I kid you not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results