shape
carat
color
clarity

iPhone or Samsung... which should I get?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Siv. Haha just what I needed another phone to consider and different carriers. I appreciate that info and to add another to the mix my friend just got the HTC phone (I think that's what it is called) and he LOVES it way better than Samsung. However for this round I am only considering the iPhone and the Samsung but I do appreciate your weighing in. At this juncture it looks like we are going to see how the new model iPhone does and order it.
Probably. LOL.

Buuut, I am checking out the LG G3 phone you are recommending just because you never know so thank you for the recommendation!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to chime in and 2nd the motion for the LG!
I can't speak on iphones because I prefer androids. Had the HTC One for years (loved it btw) and just upgraded to the LG G4. Its awesome! The HD camera is great, speaking on the phone with HD voice is great, easy to use, email, text, navigation, web surfing speed is awsome. I did have the Samsung Galaxy 4 for a week and exchanged it for the LG G4. Samsung is a great phone has alot of features the LG just had a better feel to me. We use our LG as a hotspot for the ipad when traveling.

I think nowadays it just about personal preference. Pretty much all the phones do the same things. Some have stronger processors than others.

Missy have you visited the wireless providers retail store an got a feel of the phones. Sometimes that makes a difference as well. In the hand, ease of use, the overall look of the phone.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1441879104|3925983 said:
Thanks Star Sparkle. I have to say I never realized how great my Samsung camera is until I read all the advice and info in this thread. I took it for granted all these years and not having a separate camera I use the Samsung camera a lot. I read a bit more info on the difference b/w the 2 phones and it seems the iPhone camera will still not be nearly as good as the Samsung. However that is not a deal breaker for me as most importantly I want a fast internet phone that is reliable and easy to use without too much of a learning curve for me.

If anyone is interested (packrat) I found a few good articles highlighting the difference b/w the 2 phones. Though until the new iPhone comes out and has been out for a while I will not know for sure if there is anything that needs to be worked out with it. Always a risk when getting a new model that has just been released.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s6-vs-iphone-6-1286508

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/samsung-galaxy-s6-vs-iphone-6#fGO2K51wHv1Si9bF.14

Thanks for those links, I'm checking them out now! JD talked w/the other officers, they all have iphones. I think that's what he's leaning toward but I want to check stuff out.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
another question---does anyone have a refurbished phone? Is it worth it? My dad is HUGE into refurbished things and I am leery. Dad thinks we'll be spending an arm and a leg so he's been sending JD links to iphone 5's that are refurbished. I don't think we need the best of the best brand newest version the second it's released, but I don't want something old and outdated, and I don't want something that doesn't come w/a warranty etc.

ETA and now I'm leaning toward the iPhone myself too. Most everyone I know has one and seeing as I'm amazingly not tech savvy, they can help me figure it out.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1441512960|3924180 said:
I love my iPhone 6 and have not had any issues since I got it almost a year ago. I use it for calls, texting, checking email and FB, maps and directions when travelling (because it is easier to use than the built-in GPS in my car!), the camera, Flixter and a few apps like that, and no games or entertainment. We have PC's at home but use iPhones and iPads! If you use other Apple products, the iPhone is a no-brainer. I used to take an iPad with me on weekend trips, but now I manage fine with the iPhone 6.

what DS said!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zestfully Bling, thanks for your vote for LG. We went to the Verizon store 2 days ago and went through all the phones including the LG 3 and 4. They do feel good to hold and I love the look of the phones too. Very sleek. Right now they are out of the running though because I am pretty decided on what we are getting but appreciate your rec and it's good to know. I can change my mind within 2 weeks if I get the phone from Costco. Not sure if I get the phone from the Apple store or Verizon if I have that same leeway. I will have to check.

Packrat, if you take the insurance policy and you need a replacement phone you have no choice as they do give you a refurbished phone. However I would vote to start out with a new phone. And I too am waiting for the newest model though if you go with let's say the previous model iPhone 6 you could save at least $100 so something to consider.

Thank you Jimmianne. I am leaning that way. :))

One important factor that swayed me is that my dh and I can share our google calendar on the phone by having the same phone and his mind is made up on the iPhone. Also if he has the iPhone and I have the iPhone he can help me use it if I have an issue. So I like that aspect too. And also I love that we can sync the phone to our other apple products and love that if I get a text or call I can see who it is and take the call from my iPad or computer. Still not sure how that might work but looking forward to checking it out. Lastly the salespeople I spoke with said that while the iPhone camera may not be as good as the Samsung it will be vastly improved (12 megapixels vs 8 but the Samsung is 16) and it is easy to use so perhaps not too much of a downgrade for me.

Now the big question is where do I buy the phone. The Apple store is running an interesting promotion I have to check into because I just briefly heard about it. Something about the including the apple care package and the cost being a bit more than the monthly Verizon cost however you can get a new phone every single year. My dh and I tend to keep our phones over 2 years so this might not make a lot of sense but I really like the option of getting a new phone every year for just a little more money per month whereas Verizon wants you to pay the total amount for your phone and then pay for the new phone which basically works out to every 2 years or so based on the monthly fees. So that is my next thing to figure out. Where is the best place for us to purchase the iPhone where we will get the most bang for our buck.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
NOoooooo!!!! DO NOT DO THAT. You're basically leasing a phone, and you end up paying for it longer than you have it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame said:
NOoooooo!!!! DO NOT DO THAT. You're basically leasing a phone, and you end up paying for it longer than you have it.

Thanks ame. Do you mean don't go with purchasing the iPhone from the Apple store? Or don't purchase the iPhone at all?

Matata|1442427898|3928497 said:

Matata, thanks for that link. We visited the Apple store Monday afternoon and came to that same conclusion about their offer. OMG it's ridiculous. And they don't offer an insurance plan to cover your phone if it is stolen or lost. Plus I tend to hold onto my phones for longer than 2 years (as long as they are working OK) so it isn't worth it to me under their terms.

I just wish we could get a phone the way we did last time. That is, not having to pay almost full price (over the course of 2 years on a monthly basis but still basically full price). There is no more advantage to a 2 year contract and there doesn't seem to be any way to get a phone for a few hundred anymore. Not if we go with Verizon.

I would love to be able to get the same deal with did a little over 24 months ago. We only paid about $100-200 for our phones with a 2 year contract. Now the best we can do is get the older model and pay a bit less but not enough to make it worth it IMO.

We are probably going to get it from Costco vs the Verizon store but need to talk with the salesperson there to find out if there are any advantages to purchasing it through them vs Verizon because at this point I am confused with what is and what is not covered/included etc and with insurance ($11 a month so if your phone is lost and stolen you can get another but it is a refurbished phone and you have a deductible around $107) it really adds to the monthly cost but IMO it's worth it. The retail cost of the phone I want is $850 I think.

I wish my iPad or MacAir would answer calls and take texts by itself LOL. ::)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1442482451|3928734 said:
ame said:

Thanks ame. Do you mean don't go with purchasing the iPhone from the Apple store? Or don't purchase the iPhone at all?
I mean don't do ANY of those plans from a carrier or the store. (NEXT from ATT or similar, or the Upgrade thing from Apple.) Just buy it full price or use your 2 year upgrade.

I only buy my iPhones from the Apple Store, NEVER a carrier store. And I always buy Applecare+ because it's worth every penny. If the phone gets dropped, freaks out, falls in the toilet, it saves your ass. I also pay for insurance in case of theft or loss because I've had my phone stolen before. I would rather pay for the what if's than be stuck paying for another phone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1442502720|3928816 said:
ame said:

I mean don't do ANY of those plans from a carrier or the store. (NEXT from ATT or similar, or the Upgrade thing from Apple.) Just buy it full price or use your 2 year upgrade.

I only buy my iPhones from the Apple Store, NEVER a carrier store. And I always buy Applecare+ because it's worth every penny. If the phone gets dropped, freaks out, falls in the toilet, it saves your a$$. I also pay for insurance in case of theft or loss because I've had my phone stolen before. I would rather pay for the what if's than be stuck paying for another phone.

Thanks for the clarification ame! How do you get insurance to cover a lost or stolen phone though?

When we were at the Apple store a few days ago I asked them about that and they said they don't offer that unfortunately. Was the apple person I was talking to wrong? Can I get that from Apple? I don't think Verizon will cover the phone if I purchase it from Apple and therein lies the rub. I definitely agree the Applecare coverage is superior but it doesn't cover lost or stolen. Hmm I have to check out what you wrote about Applecare plus. I am not sure I know that.

I am with you. I need insurance for peace of mind. I would rather throw out a few hundred on insurance than lose the whole retail cost of the phone.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1442524381|3928983 said:
ame|1442502720|3928816 said:
ame said:

I only buy my iPhones from the Apple Store, NEVER a carrier store. And I always buy Applecare+ because it's worth every penny. If the phone gets dropped, freaks out, falls in the toilet, it saves your a$$. I also pay for insurance in case of theft or loss because I've had my phone stolen before. I would rather pay for the what if's than be stuck paying for another phone.

Thanks for the clarification ame! How do you get insurance to cover a lost or stolen phone though?

When we were at the Apple store a few days ago I asked them about that and they said they don't offer that unfortunately. Was the apple person I was talking to wrong? Can I get that from Apple? I don't think Verizon will cover the phone if I purchase it from Apple and therein lies the rub. I definitely agree the Applecare coverage is superior but it doesn't cover lost or stolen. Hmm I have to check out what you wrote about Applecare plus. I am not sure I know that.

I am with you. I need insurance for peace of mind. I would rather throw out a few hundred on insurance than lose the whole retail cost of the phone.
You can get insurance from the carrier at any time regardless of when you buy the phone or if you got it from Apple or Verizon. But get both that AND AppleCare+.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say both because one covers things like technical freakouts and booboos, and the other covers the theft and loss. Insurance is the cost (and not cheap) from the carrier and the Applecare+ is a one time cost of about $130 from Apple.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple phones are unlocked. When you pay for it outright from Apple, all you have to do is buy a sim card from the carrier of your choice. You can change carriers if/when they have good deals on their service. And, the phones don't come with the usual carrier-loaded crap that you don't want taking up space. All you have to deal with the Apple loaded crap you might not want.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I just super quick run in and ask, iPhone 5 or 6? Does it really matter? Thru the link my dad sent JD the 5 is $18 something a month and the 6 is $21 or $22 something a month.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Can I just super quick run in and ask, iPhone 5 or 6? Does it really matter? Thru the link my dad sent JD the 5 is $18 something a month and the 6 is $21 or $22 something a month.

6, all the way. Better screen, lighter, and thinner. I got the 6 with the 164gb drive and it was completely worth the extra. I never have to worry about running out of space, whereas with my 16gb 5 I was constantly having to delete stuff. I have several full length movies on my phone and still have tons of space.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the 6S. Get the newest if you keep them a while. It stays supported and relevant longest. If you must settle for the next best, get the 6.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, thanks for the further info. I will get both Applecare (love it for our laptops and we do need it) and insurance for peace of mind.

Matata thanks. I will look into purchasing it from Apple and getting a sim card. I know nothing about that alternative so will do some research to see if that is perhaps the best option for us. I just want something easy to use and not crazy expensive though at this point easy to use with reliability of service and connectivity etc is most important.

amc, my dh had that same issue with having to delete stuff on his blackberry so he is planning on getting the 164gb drive with his new iPhone. I was thinking I only need the 64gb though but perhaps it is just better if I get the max. Hmmm. :think:

6S is out but not sure it shipped so I don't think anyone has it yet.
I am thinking of the 6S plus. That doesn't come out till October I think.

Is anyone planning on getting the new iPhones soon?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ame and amc--it makes my head spin, all the different versions, good heavens!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1442667093|3929461 said:
ame, thanks for the further info. I will get both Applecare (love it for our laptops and we do need it) and insurance for peace of mind.

Matata thanks. I will look into purchasing it from Apple and getting a sim card. I know nothing about that alternative so will do some research to see if that is perhaps the best option for us. I just want something easy to use and not crazy expensive though at this point easy to use with reliability of service and connectivity etc is most important.

amc, my dh had that same issue with having to delete stuff on his blackberry so he is planning on getting the 164gb drive with his new iPhone. I was thinking I only need the 64gb though but perhaps it is just better if I get the max. Hmmm. :think:

128 is the max.

i plan ti, tho DH wishes i woudnt bec we need a car for him

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1442840643|3930143 said:
missy|1442667093|3929461 said:

128 is the max.

i plan ti, tho DH wishes i woudnt bec we need a car for him

Thanks ame. I meant 128. :oops:

I am still not sure. We visited Costco Verizon again and the salesperson there was definite that the Samsung 6 was the better phone and I have read many articles and the phones seem very close. Too close to call in fact. Each has something superior and they are so close in almost all categories. The only difference is I am used to Samsung so it would be an easier transition for me however I do have everything else Apple so how hard could the change be? The question is which phone would I enjoy more and I really don't know. I have a feeling while I cannot go wrong with either one will be the better choice for me but I just don't know which one that is. OMG I didn't take this long in deciding which profession to go into as I am taking in making this phone decision haha.

The one thing I like about getting the phone from Costco is that you have 14 days to decide if it is the right phone for you whereas if you get it somewhere else that's it. You buy it and you cannot switch to a different phone. Something to consider.

Since the phone my dh wants (the iPhone 6S with the 128 gb) won't be out till October 14th I am taking some more time to think about which phone would suit me best. Thanks again for all the input and advice.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this thread missy. You crack me up! Talking about doing your due diligence. ;-). You'll pick the right thing. I have the 6s, the big one whichever that is. I just want it big, pretty and idiot proof. Apple is the definition of that for me. Let me know what you choose!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
IIRC you have 14 days regardless, Costco or otherwise. You just have to pay restocking just about anywhere.

If you are used to and comfortable with Android, stick with the Samsung. There's basically the "Android Fans" or the "Apple Fans." There are things each does "better."

Personally, I don't like the Android OS, it just is not my favorite and I don't find it particularly "stable," nor do I like how easily hacked it is and easily it gets infected with malware. It's also not what I would call "intuitive." That's something that comes with an open OS. Tons of people love it, many of my IT emplyed friends use them, and the devices that run it. I don't have issues as much with the Samsung, etc., devices, but I don't like the OS that they run. The plus of those is the cameras are usually spectacular. The minus, to me, is the OS.

The camera is a trade off if you go with an Apple, though they do have really nice cameras, they're not AS high on the pixel counts. They focus more on the sensors. This is the first in many years they've upped the MP counts. But with Apple, you get the Apple Store--someplace to go if you have an issue (esp if you get AppleCare+ GET IT), you also get stability, you don't have 1000 different versions of the same OS, which is often the issue with the AndroidOS atmosphere, and there are RARELY any malware issues. The issues that arise with that are if you jailbreak it (IE Hack it), and frankly, if you do that, you get what you deserve. Most apps are built for iOS, as well, and then go to Android afterwards. Rarely is it the other way around. Apple might sometimes be "late" to the party with a feature, but when it comes out, it's usually done VERY well.

Someone mentioned "idiot proof." I think that's a good term. Intuitive is the best word. They work really well and are very intuitive. So much so little tiny kids can navigate them well and I am not even joking. My nephew was able to unlock and tinker with my phone and my mom's ipad at 6mo! And now he's a little genius at almost 4. He knows where "his apps" are on everyone's phones and iPads. We've got passcodes on ours, and mine is thumblocked thankfully. Or that little bug would have all sorts of crap going on. But even my 96 year old grandpa was handed one without any knowledge and he figured out how to use it in about 2 minutes without any guidance. They're so intuitive.

If you are already used to the Apple ecosystem, you will likely do ok with an iPhone, and you'll be able to set up iCloud Drive and have all your photos sync. And use find my iPhone to keep track of your devices in the event something happens.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1442928941|3930524 said:
IIRC you have 14 days regardless, Costco or otherwise. You just have to pay restocking just about anywhere.

If you are used to and comfortable with Android, stick with the Samsung. There's basically the "Android Fans" or the "Apple Fans." There are things each does "better."

Personally, I don't like the Android OS, it just is not my favorite and I don't find it particularly "stable," nor do I like how easily hacked it is and easily it gets infected with malware. It's also not what I would call "intuitive." That's something that comes with an open OS. Tons of people love it, many of my IT emplyed friends use them, and the devices that run it. I don't have issues as much with the Samsung, etc., devices, but I don't like the OS that they run. The plus of those is the cameras are usually spectacular. The minus, to me, is the OS.

The camera is a trade off if you go with an Apple, though they do have really nice cameras, they're not AS high on the pixel counts. They focus more on the sensors. This is the first in many years they've upped the MP counts. But with Apple, you get the Apple Store--someplace to go if you have an issue (esp if you get AppleCare+ GET IT), you also get stability, you don't have 1000 different versions of the same OS, which is often the issue with the AndroidOS atmosphere, and there are RARELY any malware issues. The issues that arise with that are if you jailbreak it (IE Hack it), and frankly, if you do that, you get what you deserve. Most apps are built for iOS, as well, and then go to Android afterwards. Rarely is it the other way around. Apple might sometimes be "late" to the party with a feature, but when it comes out, it's usually done VERY well.

Someone mentioned "idiot proof." I think that's a good term. Intuitive is the best word. They work really well and are very intuitive. So much so little tiny kids can navigate them well and I am not even joking. My nephew was able to unlock and tinker with my phone and my mom's ipad at 6mo! And now he's a little genius at almost 4. He knows where "his apps" are on everyone's phones and iPads. We've got passcodes on ours, and mine is thumblocked thankfully. Or that little bug would have all sorts of crap going on. But even my 96 year old grandpa was handed one without any knowledge and he figured out how to use it in about 2 minutes without any guidance. They're so intuitive.

If you are already used to the Apple ecosystem, you will likely do ok with an iPhone, and you'll be able to set up iCloud Drive and have all your photos sync. And use find my iPhone to keep track of your devices in the event something happens.

ame, thank you so much for the further info. I really appreciate it as it is so helpful for me in deciding between the 2 and I now think it is iPhone for me based on what you wrote. I am pretty much an "idiot" when it comes to technology so idiot proof is very attractive as is the Applecare and also stability of the system and the less of a chance of getting infected with malware. That is a big plus. Thank you! Haha I wish I could borrow your little nephew when I run into a snag. I bet it wouldn't stump him. :bigsmile:

LLJsmom|1442928095|3930518 said:
Just saw this thread missy. You crack me up! Talking about doing your due diligence. ;-). You'll pick the right thing. I have the 6s, the big one whichever that is. I just want it big, pretty and idiot proof. Apple is the definition of that for me. Let me know what you choose!

Hi LLJsmom! Thanks for your feedback and I am glad you like your 6S. That's another good vote thank you. Ha I know it's crazy how much I am thinking about this decision. Seriously I am putting more thought into this than it is probably worth LOL. 8)

Based on ame's posts and all the other helpful input from PSers I am going to preorder the 6S plus on Friday at Costco. Dh getting the 6S. Woohoo! Getting excited. :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you're going with Costco over Apple directly? I always go to Apple directly. They can't sell the device any cheaper and you have 14 days regardless.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1442940213|3930582 said:
Is there a reason you're going with Costco over Apple directly? I always go to Apple directly. They can't sell the device any cheaper and you have 14 days regardless.

Costco is giving away extras if you purchase it from them that the Apple store would charge us for such as a car charger and other accessories and also the 14 day return with *no* restocking fee. Plus it feels more personal getting it from Costco and we deal with the same people there all the time. As long as we can purchase AppleCare too we will probably get the phones at Costco but I have to make sure we can still purchase AppleCare.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok we can purchase AppleCare no matter where we purchase the phone. Now the question is do we just get AppleCare and take a chance re losing/phone stolen and not purchase the insurance plan separate from AppleCare as that is an additional $11 per line. I think AppleCare is better and I would rather not purchase more insurance and just take a chance. I mean there is a point where one has to say that's enough insurance and since it is not a diamond and if we have to purchase a brand new phone should our phone get stolen (being lost is unlikely) we can afford to. Just would hurt mentally more than anything else but so would purchasing so much insurance for just a phone lol.

Ame, is there an advantage to purchasing the new iPhone at the Apple Store vs preordering it at Costco?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like third party vendors in my account, that's when things get crazy in your account. Fees you don't know about til after the fact, fineprint that doesn't belong there. That's why I go to Apple and if not Apple directly to my Carrier's corporate store (NEVER an authorized reseller.) I have only one time bought a phone from Best Buy and it cost me in the end, fees and extras that were not approved by me, that someone added on on their own, and was literally the worst phone buying experience of my life. Never will I do that again, in fact I don't buy really anything from them at all after that. SO I guess the "advantage" is that no one is tinkering in your account that doesn't belong in there and you know it's new, sealed in box.

A free car charger is, to me, no incentive. It's usually some no-name brand that may or may not be Apple approved and non approved ones void warranties when the battery flips out eventually. I buy Apple cables or Belkin chargers from the Apple store, because they're apple approved and don't void warranties if there's an issue with charging or battery later. Cases, that are not the ones I trust, aren't either. I am very particular. No restocking might be a mild incentive, but I usually don't plan to return a phone.

I pay, I believe, $9/line for the insurance, and that's what covers loss/theft. Applecare+ does not cover that, it covers the technological components and the damage and the booboos (drops and broken screens, accidental swimming adventures.) And since I've had a phone stolen, and another lost, to me, that's worth it. Not everyone wants to do that, but if your phone's in your purse and your purse gets taken, well, there went your phone and now you are stuck paying full price for a new one and your homeowners usually won't cover that and I learned that one the hard way.

You don't have to, but I do these things from experience. Running through a mall at 845pm on a Saturday night while on vacation with your friends after your phone was stolen out of town is a learning experience.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, I appreciate your help, thank you.

I will only use Apple approved chargers with my Apple products. So if that's the case I am rethinking who to purchase the phone with and perhaps Apple is our best bet in that case. I am not penny wise dollar foolish and it isn't worth saving a little bit of money if it will mean more heartache in the long run.

Sorry you had that bad experience with Best Buy. So far I have only had good experiences with Costco and phone purchases and never had any non approved fees/extras from them but I will be thinking about my best plan of action based on what you wrote and appreciate you sharing your experience.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-6s-apples-best-trap-yet-1442923201

By GEOFFREY A. FOWLER
Sept. 22, 2015 8:00 a.m. ET

Here’s my iPhone 6s review: If you’re already using an iPhone, chances are you’ll buy another. If not this one, then likely the next.

Why? Because the iPhone is the most ingenious trap since Facebook. Let’s call it a happy trap. Most owners—including me—love their iPhones because they’re simple and useful. But with each new iPhone, Apple makes it harder to shift our digital world to any other device. The 6s is the stickiest iPhone yet.

THE IPHONE 6S REVIEW

No doubt, Apple makes lust-worthy objects—now in rose gold!—but that’s not the only thing keeping us coming back. The dirty little secret of smartphones is that the hardware differences don’t matter much anymore, especially on pricey models. Everybody’s got a big phone with a high-res screen and fingerprint reader. In my tests, the iPhone’s camera is no longer leaps ahead. Apple trumpets features like 3D Touch, but after using an iPhone 6s, the new responsive screen hardly feels like a must-have—at least not until some killer uses come along.

Buying an iPhone is really about getting a golden ticket to Apple Land, where all the tools to run a modern life come included. Your chats funnel through iMessage, vacation photos get preserved in iCloud and you shop for games, music and movies from iTunes.

Here’s a test: If someone took away all of your Apple devices and accounts, how much of your digital life could you reconstruct?

The iPhone 6s offers Apple Music. Apple says the service will be available for Android devices, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Very few Apple apps and services are available for other kinds of phones. To switch would be like packing up and moving to a new city. That’s easy enough if you’re alone, but the iPhone is as much a social network as it is a phone. To bring along everyone you care about, and every gadget you own, is more effort than most people can take on.

This isn’t about being mindless Apple sheeple. The benefits to switching—cheaper hardware, more open software and services—usually don’t outweigh the cost of switching.

Just ask anyone who’s in a modern mixed marriage…that is, living with someone who doesn’t use the same smartphone operating system. It’s a relationship strain: How do they send messages? Share contacts and directions? You could use Google’s apps and services like Hangouts and Photos, but even then, everyone in the family has to agree on them.

TIMELINE OF APPLE’S SERVICES

How the “happy trap” evolved:

2003—iTunes Music Store

2007—iPhone

2008—App Store

2010—FaceTime

2010—Find My iPhone

2011—iMessage

2011—Siri

2011—Find Friends

2012—Apple Maps

2013—iCloud Keychain

2014—Apple Pay

2014—Apple Health

2015—HomeKit

2015—Apple Photos

2015—Apple Watch

2015—CarPlay

One friend of mine tried switching to Android, but text messages started getting lost in his girlfriend’s iPhone iMessage app. (iMessage is known for causing headaches to those who move to Android.) He switched back to an iPhone in a week.

Apple’s been walking us down this honeypot path for years, and it’s been very good for business. The iTunes store arrived in 2003, and for years locked our music and video onto iPods. Then came the iPhone and, in 2008, the App Store, which has the same lock-in for games and utilities.

You may not use every one, but Apple’s newest features only sweeten the pot. Apple Photos, this year’s replacement to iPhoto, can back up a lifetime of shots online—but only if you use iCloud Photo Library. Your iPhone makes your car smarter with CarPlay, but you must use Apple’s Maps. The Apple Watch is a futuristic piece of wearable tech, but it only works with an iPhone.

And now, on the iPhone 6s, reviewed in full by my colleague Joanna Stern, there’s Live Photos, a groovy new tool for self-expression. In addition to taking a photo, it captures a three-second burst of video around it. But you guessed it: For now you can only share Live Photos with other Apple device owners. (Apple says it plans to open sharing to third parties like Facebook, but I’m not holding my breath it will come to Android’s messaging app.)

Apple executives have argued for years that their advantage is tying together hardware and software. Apple’s defenders say the iPhone’s App Store is open to most outside services—Google Maps, WhatsApp for messaging, Spotify for music, Dropbox for storage. But Apple’s betting that tightly integrating its own services into iOS makes them easier.

Apple isn’t alone in trying to lock us in. It’s just better at it. Lots of people love Samsung hardware, but the software? Not so much.

In a perfect world, Apple’s iMessage would be available to Android devices.

So is Apple’s happy trap a problem? Apple is giving us what we want: an indispensable tool for modern life. The grass is usually not greener outside the Apple orchard. Yet increasingly, its limitations on us are veering from helpful toward smothering.

How much allegiance does Apple really need from us? I think it’s fair to make some demands of Apple. We, the iPhone owners, should have the right:

To choose our own maps provider throughout iOS.

To play iTunes purchases on non-Apple devices like a Roku.

To choose our own cloud storage for Photos and backup.

To bring our Android friends into our iMessage families.

To allow Siri to operate non-Apple apps (not just launch them).

What else belongs on our iPhone Declaration of Independence? I want to hear your ideas. Apple took a step in the right direction by saying its new Apple Music service would be available for Android devices, though we’re still waiting to see that arrive.

Loosening Apple’s tentacles would make the iPhone even more useful. And that builds the kind of loyalty that comes from trust, not traps.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-6s-review-a-slightly-better-iphone-6-1442923203

iPhone 6s Review: A Slightly Better iPhone 6
by Joanna Stern

The next iPhone doesn’t teleport you to your meetings. It can’t defy gravity, and it won’t brush your dog’s teeth. And it turns out most people are OK with that.

The iPhone 6s is... an iPhone. The best iPhone yet. But it’s also proof that smartphone innovation has plateaued and what we demand most in our newest phones are improvements to the essentials.

Save for a new pink color option and some new touchscreen and camera tricks, Apple’s latest phones—which go on sale this Friday—look and feel exactly like the blockbuster iPhones released a year ago. You know, the ones bought by everyone from my hairdresser to my mom and millions of people in between.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were a raging success because they took care of so many of the complaints users had about the iPhone. We finally got bigger, better screens, a great camera and an easy way to pay wirelessly, all in a sleek aluminum design. In fact, the 6 has felt almost like the perfect smartphone.

So, if the last iPhone’s hardware was just that good, the next iPhone should address the final, remaining complaints we have with smartphones, right? That’s how I decided to evaluate the new phones.

This last week, hundreds of people online and in person shared with me what annoys them most about their smartphones, and what they’d want most in their next ones. Over two weeks of testing both the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, I confirmed that Apple has addressed many of the big complaints, but done nothing to address the biggest.

Better Battery Life?
Let’s get this out of the way first. The No. 1 thing people want in a smartphone is better battery life. And the iPhone 6s doesn’t deliver that.

The 4.7-inch 6s will get you through the day, but you’ll struggle to make it til bedtime with moderate to heavy use. And it seemed to drain even faster than my 6 when I used the new processor-intensive camera features like Live Photos. The bigger 5.5-inch 6s Plus lasted longer and is the best choice if you’re a heavy user and want some juice left over at the end of the day. (Of course, battery life on any smartphone generally degrades over time.)

Still, there is no battery improvement over last year’s iPhone 6 models. In our grueling test, which loops a series of websites with brightness set at around 65%, I found the 6s and 6s Plus get no more—but also no less—battery life than their predecessors. (iOS 9 itself adds an hour of savings to the iPhone 6, and has Low Power Mode.) Strangely, although Apple says that the 6s Plus gets hours more battery life than the 6s, repeated testing on multiple devices reveals a slimmer difference. In a Web surfing test, the 6s on average lasted for 8 hours, while the 6s Plus went 20 minutes longer. In a video playback test, the difference was an hour.

Here’s the real kicker: To accommodate the phone’s new touchscreen technology, the new iPhone 6s is an unnoticeable 0.01 inches thicker, and a slightly noticeable half-ounce heavier, but the battery is actually slightly smaller. I’d happily buy a thicker iPhone, if it meant more time away from the power outlet.

There’s no innovation at the power outlet, either. While other phones employ wireless charging and rapid charging technology for added convenience, the new iPhones still require you to plug in your phone and wait at least two hours (nearly three for the Plus) to charge to 100%. Samsung’s latest phones charge up in 75 to 90 minutes, and the new Moto X Pure takes just over an hour.

More Speed, Less Lag?

We now do so much on our phones, older models—and even the iPhone 6—have a hard time keeping up. It was a complaint I heard more than I had expected. The iPhone 6s’s new A9 processor and 2GB of RAM result in a noticeable boost—even over the iPhone 6. Exporting an HD video was three times as fast, scrolling through Facebook and Web pages was smoother and jumping between tons of open apps felt noticeably quicker.

Unlocking your phone is also much speedier. The new Touch ID fingerprint sensor is at least twice as fast. You barely place your finger on the button and you’re in.

The 6s’s most innovative hardware feature also speeds up your phone navigation. But it’s still a bit mysterious.

“You know, I really wish I could press harder on the screen.” Yeah, not one person I surveyed said that, but as Steve Jobs famously said, “A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” That’s where 3D Touch comes in.

Press hard on some app icons or other spots and you get quick access to shortcuts. I had to remind myself to use 3D Touch at first, but after two weeks, it’s becoming part of my iPhone muscle memory. In Mail, I now press hard on a message to preview it, then swipe left to delete. I love how you can hold down on a link to see a preview of the website, without leaving the app you’re in. Press harder and you can “pop” into that app. Third-party app support could make it even more useful.

However, in other places, I’m simply faster at using the now-antiquated methods. It’s speedier to double-tap the home button than to awkwardly press down on the left side of the screen to switch apps. 3D Touch also doesn’t yet work everywhere I want it to. Why can’t I hold down the Wi-Fi button in the Control Center to jump into Settings?

More Storage for Photos and Video?
No iPhone 6 owners I spoke to complained about the camera. (Good thing, since my colleague Geoff didn’t find anything extra special about the new camera anyway.) In fact, only a handful of people requested a better camera. What did come up… a lot? More space for the thousands of amazing photos we now take with our phones.

If there were ever an iPhone that needed more storage, it’s this one, yet Apple continues to rip off customers with a 16GB base model ($649 without payment plan/contract), rather than offer a 32GB one. The new 12-megapixel camera on the 6s captures sharper, higher-resolution photos—and they’re generally 1MB bigger. The new 5-megapixel “selfie camera” photos capture my mug and the side of my arm more clearly, yes, but those also take more room.

The absolute best thing about the 6s is Live Photos. While capturing a still photo, it also captures a bit of live action. They’re awesome for reliving fun moments, especially of an active puppy or child, and anyone with an iOS 9 iPhone or iPad can view them. But they generally take up two to three times as much space as an iPhone 6 pic because they also save three seconds of video. Sure, you can turn them off, but you won’t want to.

Though the camera’s video defaults at 1080p resolution, you can also capture very crisp 4K video. A crazy-high-resolution video of my puppy looked stunning on my new Samsung 4K TV, but it also took up six times the space of a typical 720p video. Apple markets iCloud Photo Library as a way to expand storage on phones that run out. But this is simply not a good excuse for not providing more space.

A Phone That Doesn’t Break?
It’s now the norm for people to have a big crack adorning their iPhone’s screen. In fact, according to SquareTrade, an electronics insurance service, 15% don’t repair them, probably because they just assume it will only happen again.

Cases are a huge protection help, but what would help even more is a completely shatterproof, indestructible iPhone. The 6s isn’t that—but it is more durable.

The exterior is now made out of a stronger “aerospace industry” aluminum alloy. (Yes, this should prevent the iPhone 6s Plus from bending.) And the display is made of a new glass, which Apple claims is the most durable in the smartphone industry. I couldn’t exactly throw these review units on concrete, but when I tried to bend the phone, I felt far less flex than I get with the iPhone 6.

If you have an iPhone 6, you won’t be overly jealous of those who get a 6s—maybe just a tad envious of those Live Photos. If your iPhone is more than two years old, this is the phone to get. Just make sure to pay Apple’s ransom for the 64GB version.

The story of the iPhone 6s is the same as the 5s, or the 4s before it. It is a slightly better iPhone—that must be what the S stands for. And like its “S” predecessors, it doesn’t address all complaints. That’s what the iPhone 7 is for—right, Apple?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results