shape
carat
color
clarity

Intrigued by this 2 carat K VS 2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone detect color in this other than from the sides? Does it look yellow/brown to you?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3907533.htm

I had started only looking at H colors, now dipping into Is....somewhat tempted to go for K given I get get above the 2 carat mark.

A lot of advice I've read said to stay H or higher in bigger round cuts...

You can't judge diamond body color from pics, so a thread asking for opinions on color people detect in diamond pics is a complete waste of time.
Diamond color is established by the color grade issued by a reputable gem lab.
Opinions about pics are totally irrelevant.

Sure, better cut returns more light, which conceals body color, but only in a top view.
But we usually see our diamonds in a side view ... a view that shows maximum body color.

.... just saying.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Discerning" color does not equate to "being bothered" by color. On those side by side pics, all i see is SIZE. Plus if you're not getting a customized ring, it's easily swappable if she doesn't like it (propose within the return period).

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not a ring wearer, but I thought women would mostly view engagement rings from a top view, no?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she types or writes or does normal things with her hands, she will see the sides of the ring. But like I said, seeing color and being bothered by it are not the same thing.

It's a personal preference. If you can't get any hints from her, you might be safer with the smaller stone of higher color Many people on here prefer higher color over size. Many others preferred size over color. Many prefer clarity over size or color.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good point!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a ring wearer, but I thought women would mostly view engagement rings from a top view, no?
Well that depends, my setting that holds a 2.79 F-VS1 CBI diamond is very open where most of the diamond is visible which also makes it easy to clean. Others may have very elaborate baskets and/or halos around the center diamond where only the crown is easily visible. Check out the numerous rings on the SMTB threads . Has your intended mentioned what setting style she prefers?

20171027_135730.jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am of Asian ethnicity and have more cones in my eyes so I see nuances of color better than my hubby who has more rods so he sees better in the dark. There IS a biological difference between us. The disadvantage is that I have to pay for F or better colored diamonds.

https://www.cis.rit.edu/people/faculty/montag/vandplite/pages/chap_9/ch9p1.html

Take this color hue test, I had a perfect score while my hubby missed about 30 of them.
http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

While Caucasians have higher proportion of 'colour blindness', I've never come across any research that shows difference in colour vision between 'normal' people between different ethnicity due to different cone:rod ratio, do you have a reference? I scored 0 on the farnsworth munsell 100 hue test but I thought I did much worse! This TN panel doesn't help..

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WF sent me these pictures of the K being compared to H and I stones. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see a huge color disparity. There is definitely some tint when seen from the side but face up I don't see much of a difference. Thoughts?
  • TRAY_2.061-2.011-2.014.jpg TRAY_1.791-2.014.jpg SBS_1.791-2.014.jpg

Based on this photo, I really don’t think you’ll see actual body color, like a yellow tint, even when looking from the side.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
974D6B57-8866-4A1D-B9FB-7F67BE9956AE.jpeg
Here’s a typical/lower tinted K in comparison.

Again, I still strongly feel that you should order the K diamond, take it to your mom, her mom, all her friends, heck, if I were your friend I would take you to a Starbucks and ask every woman in there if she can see the tint. I would stand on the street and ask women even (I’m crazy but I seriously believe in the K and I would totally do this if you were my friend to prove to you that the average person would choose the bigger one and call it white, in this scenario with a good K.) Talk to her best friend about this. If you are worried about color from the side you could even put it in a halo setting w lower colored halo diamonds.

I promise you that the trouble of ordering and looking at the diamond will be worth it since you can always return. This is because I do feel that most women are just concerned about size if they generally have no knowledge about diamonds, and of course it has to be a sparkly diamond (and yours is an ACA which is outstanding).

I think your gf will be happy if she has an extra big one compared to others. It will just make her feel thrilled and special whenever she looks at it (just because it’s huge and pretty). The other one is significantly smaller (sometimes it isn’t, but the diameter measurements are probably significant for those two options).

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WF sent me these pics of the ring. Am I seeing fire in these pictures or the K color coming through? I went and saw a bunch of other WF pictures and I see what I think is fire even in the higher color D-E-F diamonds. What do you PSers think of the way this looks? If it's bad I'll return it...

4-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_50591_36667_a.jpg 4-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_50591_36667_g.jpg

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WF sent me these pics of the ring. Am I seeing fire in these pictures or the K color coming through? I went and saw a bunch of other WF pictures and I see what I think is fire even in the higher color D-E-F diamonds. What do you PSers think of the way this looks? If it's bad I'll return it...

4-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_50591_36667_a.jpg 4-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_50591_36667_g.jpg

I think I see a little color, but mostly fire.. just wait until you see it and decide. I'm sure it'll be gorgeous!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of a few different colors. The ering is a GIA I, the studs are wf ACA J and K (I have to look very closely to tell which is which - I can't tell in the pic), the band is a wf ACA G. downloadfile-2.jpeg

I wouldn't call the J or the K yellow.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium

No, no. These are heavily edited pictures and won’t show you true color. Don’t worry. Look at this thread:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ackkkkkkkkkk-its-happening-wf-upgrade.235086/page-2 where @HappyNewLife received even yellower fashion pics of her ring which is an I color (I for Indigo), and WF confirmed it was due to studio lighting. Man they should stop doing that and terrifying people with the weird yellow studio light.

Please ask WF to send you natural light unedited pictures of the ring if you are worried. HappyNewLife did that and you can see the picture they sent in the same link above, not yellow at all. I really, really really hope you and your fiancée are gonna love this ring.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES, I went through this too! Let me know if you want me to dig up my post about it. My photo made me so nervous, it truly looked yellow in the image. My diamond is NOT yellow. It's white in nearly all lighting conditions. The only time it looks slightly tinted is if lighting is yellow or in my car (because I have a black roof). Try to keep the faith![/QUOTE]

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some IRL cell phone pics (sorry for the poor lighting in the last one since it was taken in a dim restaurant). She loves the ring and more importantly she said yes! Thanks to all PSers who helped me with finding this rock...it looks amazing...huge, sparkly and very white. I would never guess it was a K color!

20180120_175804.jpg download_20180121_170654.jpg 20180121_203651.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!! Congratulations!!! :love::appl:You did an amazing job and it looks great on her!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Massive congratulations, looks very elegant

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Congratulations! !!!!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I'm so glad you're happy! Congrats on your engagement!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she's a "go big or go home" gal, that K is VERY nice. It must be a high K, bc it looks way whiter than my old J! (but mine wasn't an ACA either, so...) ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh shoot! Just read that you're getting the K!! Congrats!!!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Me thinks WF should change their photo setup:P2 Almost every one of us who has received ring photos from them have the same initial "what is that tint I see?!!" reaction. Then we see the ring in person and it looks perfectly fine. I would also bet that yours is a high K! Congratulations!!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!!!! She said YES!!! Congratulations to you both. And kudos for all your hard work and research. The stone looks BEAUTIFUL and HUGE.

And, because it's from whiteflash, in five years, when she wants a 3 carat I VS1 stone, you can trade it in. :lol-2:

Just kidding.

I meant ten years. :kiss2:

Congrats again. And please.., 400 more pics. We really all had a part in this proposal :lol::whistle:

sgirl

Rough_Rock
What matters is not what we see but what YOU see. I am of Asian ethnicity and have more cones in my eyes so I see nuances of color better than my hubby who has more rods so he sees better in the dark. There IS a biological difference between us. The disadvantage is that I have to pay for F or better colored diamonds.

https://www.cis.rit.edu/people/faculty/montag/vandplite/pages/chap_9/ch9p1.html

Take this color hue test, I had a perfect score while my hubby missed about 30 of them.
http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

Bottom line, if you don't see a difference buy the K and save yourself some money.
This was fun. I took the color test and scored 0.

sgirl

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your engagement.

himni

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just to let you all know that we appreciate the feedback on our photography and we are taking it to heart. We have a photography meeting scheduled to discuss possible changes to our process.

With regard to the flower pics that we send out on the day of shipping, they are intended primarily to be a creative keepsake, as opposed to being diagnostic. It is also an opportunity for the customer to spot any obvious issues such as wrong metal color, prong style, etc BEFORE shipment. (Yes, it has happened! - but only once - and a long time ago ;)2) In the creatives you will sometimes see effects like fire and in some cases reflections of flowers that might be misinterpreted as body color. I assure you that it is not our intention to cause customers unnecessary alarm!

But in some cases it appears to have done just that, and we need to learn from those instances and make the proper adjustments.

We appreciate constructive criticism as it helps us along the path of continual improvement. It's one of the things we love about this community. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results