shape
carat
color
clarity

Interracial relationships?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worth waiting for!

ColombianBeauty.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
beautiful!!
12.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This picture was taken a few years later.

TrueRedWhiteAndBlue.jpg

Sunmoon

Rough_Rock
Eldest sister is not married, but is currently dating a puerto-rican of african descent

Hi all:

I never posted before but I''m the biggest lurker there is! Love the site

jaysonsmom: Just out of curiosity, what is a puerto-rican of african descent? I''m born and raised in Puerto Rico, living in the states 6 years, I never heard that term.I''m from Puerto Rico (most if not all puertoricans are white(Spanish,Christopher Colombus and all that),Black (slaves from Africa) and indians (Taino indians that were there before anyone), I look mixed and BF is Black (born here,parents are from Africa).

Sometimes people looks at us funny, but we never had any problems. And like everyone else, can''t wait to see how our babies are going to look like!

Paz

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2006 12:26:53 PM
Author: Mara
We often wonder what our kids will look like, they will be 1/4 Persian, 1/4 Mexican, 1/4 Ukranian and 1/4 OTHER (aka Polish, Norweigan and something else!!).

My husband and I always wondered what our kids would look like as well. The only trait we were sure would never show up is red hair! Nobody on either sides of our family had red hair so we were totally in shock when our second son popped out with RED hair! lol Suddenly, both sides tried to take claim via their strong genes, saying that so in so from the 1800s had red hair so D inherited from him/her

2.gif
Since then, my second son's hair has turned blonde and now at the age of 3 1/2, this little preschooler is the spitting image of my husband's cousin. His coloring is light blonde hair, creamy vanilla skin, and green eyes. . .not the coloring of either DH or me (except I have green eyes). BUT, his features are exactly like my husbands. It's funny to see him looking so fair yet have my husband's features. We'd have NEVER have guessed this combo.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, AGBF your daughter is beautiful! What a touching story, thank you so much for sharing
1.gif
It''s amazing how everything turns out just the way it''s supposed to, even if that''s what we had in mind or not. It just shows you that there is a bigger plan
1.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
ABGF! What a beauty - and touching story! She''s lovely!

Mara - Funny you should say "Paler". Actually, I am quite pale! More than that bad picture shows. It think a wedding pic of me is somewhere here. I agree!

I think the time I saw it (1993) I was living in MD and there were really not too many "mixed" or people like me that I grew up with, in school, or by that time, at work. In fact, in college most people thought I was Iranian - that''s who I looked like! lol!. My brother is lighter, but my two twins (not me) are darkest. They are the last of the group.

Here in new york -- there is such a mix of cultures that I am well, normal. It''s really facinating *not* to be the object of curiousity! Kind of pleasant.. :)

And our kids - I know they''re gonna be red headed and green eyed. They will look like neither of us! My sister is marrying a mix with Japanese and white. They children.. well, their poor hair! :)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2006 6:59:46 PM
Author: Sunmoon
Eldest sister is not married, but is currently dating a puerto-rican of african descent

Hi all:

I never posted before but I''m the biggest lurker there is! Love the site

jaysonsmom: Just out of curiosity, what is a puerto-rican of african descent? I''m born and raised in Puerto Rico, living in the states 6 years, I never heard that term.I''m from Puerto Rico (most if not all puertoricans are white(Spanish,Christopher Colombus and all that),Black (slaves from Africa) and indians (Taino indians that were there before anyone), I look mixed and BF is Black (born here,parents are from Africa).

Sometimes people looks at us funny, but we never had any problems. And like everyone else, can''t wait to see how our babies are going to look like!

Paz

Heehee, I didn''t realize I was getting technical. I guess I should have just said black puerto-rican (slaves from Africa).

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I found a picture to illustrate my husband''s very mixed family....here is my FIL''s birthday last year.

In the front center of course is my FIL. My husband and I are next to him with our kids ( korean, chinese, japanese, dutch). I''m the giant Asian girl with the inability to tan.

In the back from left to right:

My husband''s second sister with her Mexican husband

His oldest sister (the blond) minus her puerto-rican black boyfriend) with my niece (1/2 mexican, 1/2 korean)

His youngest sister with her Swiss husband

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Forgot pic in last post :)

GrandpaBday.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
ed.

I didn't intend to shoot the tires out from under this thread..which if i remember is mainly about the delights of mixed rel'ps, marriages and familes. Will post my 'dark side' interrace issues elsewhere.

We have Jaysonsmom's beautiful smiling family here and then my difficult Qs..
20.gif
apologies for my timing, JM.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
*sound of crickets chirping*

(i''ve started a new topic for the troubles of mixed unions)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom,

That picture is worth a trillion words! You are all so healthy and happy looking and love glows from the picture!!! Thank you for posting that. It''s uplifting!!!

Deb

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
for the record... i did not know that JM was sharing pics as I composed my post. unfortunate post slippage/crazy timing. it happens in forums.

i saw the incongruency (esp. considering her family''s story) and moved my un-fun lil questions.

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
Deb your daughter is GORGEOUS! And that baby picture is absolutely adorable!!! Are you keeping part of her heritage in her life? Any trips to South America planned? Sounds like it would be some vacation
2.gif

jaysonsmom your family is beautiful! What a wonderful mix
1.gif
Thanks for sharing the picture!

Actually....ALL the pictures in this thread so far have been very lovely and happy
9.gif
I'm glad people started posting them! More are welcome! This is fun!
5.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2006 10:50:47 AM
Author: miyabi_na
Deb your daughter is GORGEOUS! And that baby picture is absolutely adorable!!! Are you keeping part of her heritage in her life? Any trips to South America planned?

I think I am keeping all her heritage in her life: my family's, my husband's family's, and that of the country in which she was born. She's got a lot of heritage!

As for a visit to Colombia: no!!! It was violent while I was there and has gotten much worse. If the political climate improves, of course I would take her there! It is a truly beautiful and very diverse country! (Geographically diverse. Cool mountains where people wear brown and grey wool and alpaca, hot sea coasts where people are lightly and colorfully dressed.) When I was there, however, the country also included armed right wing militias; left wing guerrillas; drug lords and their violence; kidnapping; and bombings. Businessmen all travelled with bodyguards toting machine guns. Those elements of society are alive and well in Colombia and are going to keep us away for a while, though!

I have always told my daughter how beautiful Colombia is, the land of orchids and emeralds, and I bought her (and myself) some emeralds while I was there. At this point, she is not terribly interested in Colombia, though. She has lived in the United States all her life. This is her country.

Recently I had to fill out some forms. I never know whether she is, "Hispanic" or not!!! When I filled out an application for her social security card once I checked, "Hispanic" and once I checked, "Caucasian, Non-Hispanic". (I had to do the forms twice: first when she was a resident alien then again, at four months, when she became a citizen!) I wonder if the SSA ever wondered how such a thing changes within weeks!

Deb
34.gif

Sunmoon

Rough_Rock
jaysonmom

Great picture! No problem, I was just wondering. I was looking for him in the picture,he,he!

PAZ

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
some happiness...

f05ee491.jpg

f05ecccb.jpg

f05ecbce.jpg

dh drew this for the announcement carte when our first was born
f05ec7ba.jpg

do i look like the babysitter? hmmm? i do look drugged tho''! lol

f05ec3fa.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!!! You have singlehandedly made the case for interracial marriage!!

Deb :)

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Kaylagee, your family is precious!!!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF & MoonRiv: Thank you!!
5.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting thread.

My fiance is from Uruguay - his whole family is over there except for his parents who are in the U.S. half the year to be near him. (He''s been living in the US since he was 13 - they retired and had to move back last year so they now have tourist visas). This past January I went there to visit with him (2nd year doing this). We always have a great time. We always go in the winter so it''s summer over there which is a huge plus and his family is very warm and embracing too. Culturally, I don''t really notice any issues. The biggest obstacle is I''m too shy to speak my broken spanish in front of them when I should be practicing. And they do have some nutty food combinations (like meats & sweets in some sort of profiterole sandwich thing, yuck). Anyway, technically he''s hispanic but I don''t really think of it as an interracial relationship though I suppose it is. I am first-generation born in the U.S. from my dad''s side (1/2 Turkish) and my mom''s side is Polish and German.

It''s funny about stereotypes and "color". When I visited Turkey when I was 12, meeting my cousin/penpal for the first time I was shocked at how pale she was compared to me, expecting everyone to have darker, olive skin like my dad/me. And she was very white - nearly Asian white. Even visiting Uruguay last year knowing full-well South Americans are not the typical hispanics we have here in the U.S. I was still only picturing along the lines of what I knew (ie Mexicans). The people there pretty much look like our "white" people. As for myself, I usually think of myself as "white", I certainly feel more "white" when around blacks or immigrants mostly because I assume that''s how they think of me. But growing up in private Catholic school I was often asked why my skin was darker or how I got that tan in the winter, etc. I hated it! Even my pre-school boyfriend "dumped" me when I came back next year from the summer and my skin darkened in the sun. I''m not even that dark anymore - I certainly don''t look like a pure anything. But I guess my color combined with my surname (in Turkey, it''s like Smith here) does get questions sometimes. They don''t bother me anymore, most people are just polite and curious about it. Actually I like my last name a lot and I will miss it when the time comes but I like the man attached to the one I will take a lot better than the one I got my current one from.
13.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaylagee, your family is adorable. How old is the baby now??

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 1:29:39 PM
Author: kaleigh
Kaylagee, your family is adorable. How old is the baby now??

Thanks L.! he''s four months & already encouraging his brother''s clowning w/rapt attention & giggles!
19.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 11:54:49 PM
Author: sarita
This is an interesting thread.

My fiance is from Uruguay - his whole family is over there except for his parents who are in the U.S. half the year to be near him. (He's been living in the US since he was 13 - they retired and had to move back last year so they now have tourist visas). This past January I went there to visit with him (2nd year doing this). We always have a great time. We always go in the winter so it's summer over there which is a huge plus and his family is very warm and embracing too. Culturally, I don't really notice any issues. The biggest obstacle is I'm too shy to speak my broken spanish in front of them when I should be practicing. And they do have some nutty food combinations (like meats & sweets in some sort of profiterole sandwich thing, yuck). Anyway, technically he's hispanic but I don't really think of it as an interracial relationship though I suppose it is. I am first-generation born in the U.S. from my dad's side (1/2 Turkish) and my mom's side is Polish and German...

]

I'm the same way with French but it's been the best way to learn. It sounded like "salut..leblahleblahleblah..bah ouais, bah franchement..blahblah" for a long time but started to make some sense after a month or so(I took French in Hs and college but real rapid-fire Parisian french is an entirely different matter). Then once that babelfish(yeh, i was a Hitchhiker's Guide fan, i even had the Infocom game) has taken over, the challenge is to get my brain and mouth up to speed. I'm still waay too slow in conv. but my writing is okay.

French food is pretty good... but my favorite 'restaus' are the North African places. Even the little kebab places are incredible. ..and their dairy prod...i was ruined for yogurt and chese here. This US stuff shouldn't even be called yogurt and cheese.

We're finally going to try living in Les States (after about a year of my campaign..he didn't want to move here..pulling teeth..sigh) and I suppose the timing is right. I still miss France so much. What I need is a telelportation device.

For many reasons, we will probably end up moving back when the boys are older. I worry about the disparity in the educational systems. I've heard more than once that French public school students are about 2 years ahead of US students.

So we're looking at French gov't approved bi-lingual schools.
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2006 1:52:11 AM
Author: kaylagee
So we''re looking at French gov''t approved bi-lingual schools.
34.gif

KG, I did that with our daughter because we attempted to bring her up speaking French as well as English. In our case, distance from a school was an obstacle. Where are you in California? Some good friends (who had met studying Spanish literature) sent their son to the French-American School in San Francisco. He went to Tahiti as an exchange student and they had a French boy stay with them for a year. Their son (now a college graduate) is thoroughly conversant with French and English literature, completely bilingual, and even started studying Chinese while still in high school (as a foreign language).

Deb
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results