shape
carat
color
clarity

Intermittent fasting

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely people should check with their doctors first. Some docs are skeptical of fasting as a means to control diabetes. Jason Fung, an expert treating diabetics, wrote his books about this very thing. I don't remember the number of patients he has treated and is successfully treating, but many of them have improved their numbers, dropped weight, and in a lot of cases were able to stop their meds due to following a fasting protocol. Many with co morbidities also improved with fasting -- blood pressure, heart issues, etc. His book, The Obesity Code, is one of the most illuminating I've read in a long time.
It depends on the type of diabetes. For type 2 and for other conditions with an aspect of insulin resistance (like PCOS) it works well. However some diabetes medications to include insulin of course can cause low blood sugar with fasting so it’s important to review with a doc. For type 1 diabetes and other situations where there is pancreatic insufficiency prolonged fasting may not be ideal- I would want to assess on an individual basis. Most medical folks (physicians and others) don’t have extensive nutrition training and/or don’t have a high level of weight management experience, and don’t focus on the most current research on these topics.

Honestly most people would probably do well with what we term “time limited eating” although extended fasts are not for everyone. Plant based diets would also be helpful for almost everyone as they are consistently linked with improved heart disease, diabetes and other chronic condition outcomes.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on the type of diabetes. For type 2 and for other conditions with an aspect of insulin resistance (like PCOS) it works well. However some diabetes medications to include insulin of course can cause low blood sugar with fasting so it’s important to review with a doc. For type 1 diabetes and other situations where there is pancreatic insufficiency prolonged fasting may not be ideal- I would want to assess on an individual basis. Most medical folks (physicians and others) don’t have extensive nutrition training and/or don’t have a high level of weight management experience, and don’t focus on the most current research on these topics.

Honestly most people would probably do well with what we term “time limited eating” although extended fasts are not for everyone. Plant based diets would also be helpful for almost everyone as they are consistently linked with improved heart disease, diabetes and other chronic condition outcomes.

I’ll quote myself and edit to say- limiting carbs is also often good for blood sugar stabilization and weight loss for people with insulin resistance. But doing low carb, plant based, intermittent fasting... that’s a lot to take on!!! In the end it has to be something a person can commit to and anecdotally people can usually continue IF as a long term strategy to maintain their health benefits.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking. I am seeing improvements after each fasting bout. Yesterday I did a 38 hour fast, and today it seems things have stronger smells than before. As it came back it was like i was smelling my perfume through a sheet, or on my jacket from last week. Now smelling my perfume from the bottle it is stronger and stronger. I would say my smell is 70% back. I'm hearing horror stories about it never fully restoring, but trying to ignore that and celebrate the baby steps I'm making.

Thanks for asking. I am seeing improvements after each fasting bout. Yesterday I did a 38 hour fast, and today it seems things have stronger smells than before. As it came back it was like i was smelling my perfume through a sheet, or on my jacket from last week. Now smelling my perfume from the bottle it is stronger and stronger. I would say my smell is 70% back. I'm hearing horror stories about it never fully restoring, but trying to ignore that and celebrate the baby steps I'm making.

I’m glad to hear that you’re making progress, even it’s baby steps at the moment and at least it’s in the right direction. I hope in time it will be fully restored. Take care x

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to fast from 10 pm to , at a minimum, 4pm. If I am home the 4 pm seems hard to pass up. If I am distracted, working or out of the house, It can be 6 pm. I am not so good with limiting bad carbs, and it is true for me if I eat bad carbs I crave them I have to go cold turkey detox for at least two weeks to stop the bad carb cravings. Working remotely at home really made dieting tough for me due to other family members‘, who do not need to lose weight, eating habits and food choices. I do not have great will power. But to some extent, IF has prevented me from gaining all the weight I lost pre COVID

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been IF for 11 days while following my WW. So far I don’t feel challenged nor do I see any positive effects.
anyone else new to this?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not new but resumed from two years ago. Lost over 50 pounds on IF, low carb and walking exersize. Gained it all back due to pandemic lock downs.Lockdowns got me off of the routine of walking 6-8 miles a day and the IF and low carbs was blown as kids’ junk foods we’re all around and I cooked all meals for the family And baked sweets round the clock for the kids. Also working remote kept me near the food As there was no food at work and people understood I would not eat treats. Of course these are all really lame excuses to show my lack of will power but it did work. So I am back on it starting week 3. it was hard at first as my body craved food and carbs at lunch and in the afternoon but I only eat from around 5 pm until 10 pm. Black Coffee in the morning and sparking water during the day. Good luck!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe my weight loss was more around 40 pounds.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been IF for 11 days while following my WW. So far I don’t feel challenged nor do I see any positive effects.
anyone else new to this?
If you are restricting calories while fasting, you might have less success. If you are eating low fat/no fat you might have less success. If you aren't doing this, try it for a while: in your eating window, eat what are usually normal portions for you of meat, veggie, carbs. Use real butter, use full fat milk and yogurt if you normally eat those foods. Eat until you are sated and not over full.

After you do that for a few weeks, try adding in alternate day fasts -- one week of that and then go back to your time restricted eating window of 18:6 or 16:8 or whatever one you chose.

Alternate day fasting:
Alternate day fast.png

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are restricting calories while fasting, you might have less success. If you are eating low fat/no fat you might have less success. If you aren't doing this, try it for a while: in your eating window, eat what are usually normal portions for you of meat, veggie, carbs. Use real butter, use full fat milk and yogurt if you normally eat those foods. Eat until you are sated and not over full.

After you do that for a few weeks, try adding in alternate day fasts -- one week of that and then go back to your time restricted eating window of 18:6 or 16:8 or whatever one you chose.

Alternate day fasting:
Alternate day fast.png

Thanks for the tip! Definitely not restricting calories—

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been on IF diet since New Years. Have not weighed myself but feel some weight loss by how clothes fit and I usually lose weight in face first. But have way more energy albeit still not exercising yet. Eating mostly fat, dairy, veggies and proteins. No grains, potatoes or rice and no junk food or sweets. Only high carbs are my desserts of fresh oranges or bananas. I fast from 10 pm until 4 or 5 pm. It is getting old. YouTube food channels are my food ****.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Can I put Splenda in my coffee or does that break my fast?
How about Calm Magnesium supplement? Have I been sabotaging my intermittent fasting by drinking both of these during my fasting hours?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Can I put Splenda in my coffee or does that break my fast?
How about Calm Magnesium supplement? Have I been sabotaging my intermittent fasting by drinking both of these during my fasting hours?

Splenda breaks the fast; magnesium supplement doesn't.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having a good sleep hygene, going to bed earlier and not putting a ton of any chemicals (like fragrances) on your body does a ton of difference.
Fragrances contain chemicals that are hormone disruptors, not matter how expensive they are they mimic hormones...

And the most important: EXERCISE, preferably weights.

Also, I'd rather have sugar than any fake sugar stuff, geeeez....

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Some people swear by the carnivore diet too.
Personally, I'm in the middle, love plants/fruits but can't live without meat. Actually, gonna cook some in a min.

Intermitten fasting works 'cause the body needs rest from being busy with digesting all the time and autophagia helps with rejuvenation of cells. Murine models show prolonging of lifespan and delayed aging for mice fed every other day.

Nowdays everything is available to us and we don't make any effort in getting it, we don't actually hunt for food, hence our "modern" bodies.
We don't even have too look so far back, just watch a movie from the 70's to see "skinny" people were.

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Let me preface by saying that I have a degree in Human nutrition, and we were taught not to fast, because it messes up your natural metabolism. However, with the popularity of Intermittent fasting, I decided to give it a try earlier year since I gained a few pounds during the pandemic, and working from home.

It did not work for me. I tried the 16:8 (fasted from 7pm to 11am) for about 3 months, didn't lose a single pound. Meanwhile I think I took in more calories during the hours I did eat. Meanwhile and my husband and teens graze/snack all day long and are all slender, and didn't gain a pound.

I was the only one in the family that ate 2 good size meals a day, with no dessert and snacks and the only one who could stand to lose a few pounds, go figure.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let me preface by saying that I have a degree in Human nutrition, and we were taught not to fast, because it messes up your natural metabolism. However, with the popularity of Intermittent fasting, I decided to give it a try earlier year since I gained a few pounds during the pandemic, and working from home.

It did not work for me. I tried the 16:8 (fasted from 7pm to 11am) for about 3 months, didn't lose a single pound. Meanwhile I think I took in more calories during the hours I did eat. Meanwhile and my husband and teens graze/snack all day long and are all slender, and didn't gain a pound.

I was the only one in the family that ate 2 good size meals a day, with no dessert and snacks and the only one who could stand to lose a few pounds, go figure.

In 3 months your body got used to it and adjusted, I think 3 months is too long and will actually slow your metabolism.
With fitness is the same, you have to constantly challenge your body and change the routines/weights, otherwise you "plateau" and remain in that stage.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I've been on the 16:8 for...3 years now. Works very well for maintaining my weight but I do have to watch that I don't overeat in those 8 hours. I get moderate exercise and do not drink or smoke. Occasionally I fast for longer but I can get uncomfortable doing so, altho that depends on the day. Also too, there are days where it might be 14:10 or 12:12. I try to jump back to 16:8 as soon as I can.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about adding cinnamon powder to my coffee?

If I recall correctly, limiting it to 1 tsp doesn't break the fast.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"

Intermittent Fasting Linked to Higher CVD Death Risk

Publish date: March 20, 2024
By Megan Brooks

Publish date: March 20, 2024
By
Megan Brooks

logo.png

A new study raises a cautionary note on time-restricted eating (TRE), a type of intermittent fasting that is gaining popularity.
The observational analysis of over 20,000 US adults showed that those who limited their eating to a period of less than 8 hours per day had a higher risk for cardiovascular mortality compared with peers who ate across the typical 12-16 hours per day. This was the case in the overall sample and in those with cardiovascular disease (CVD) or cancer.
Lead author Victor Wenze Zhong, PhD, cautioned that the findings “require replication and we cannot demonstrate 8-hour TRE causes cardiovascular death in this observational study.
“However, it’s important for patients, particularly those with existing heart conditions or cancer, to be aware of the positive association between an 8-hour eating window and cardiovascular death,” Dr. Zhong, professor and chair, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China, told this news organization.
The results (Abstract P192) were presented March 18 at the American Heart Association (AHA) Epidemiology and Prevention/Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Scientific Sessions 2024.

‘Provocative’ Results

Short-term randomized controlled trials have suggested that 8-hour TRE may improve cardiometabolic risk profiles, but the potential long-term effects of this eating pattern are unknown.
The observation that TRE may have short-term benefits but long-term adverse effects is “interesting and provocative” and needs further study, Christopher D. Gardner, PhD, professor of medicine at Stanford University in California, who wasn’t involved in the study, said in a conference statement, and he agreed that much more research is needed.
The researchers analyzed data on dietary patterns for 20,078 adults (mean age, 48 years; 50% men; 73% non-Hispanic White) who participated in the 2003-2018 National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES). All of them completed two 24-hour dietary recall questionnaires within the first year of enrollment. Deaths through the end of 2019 were determined via the National Death Index.
During a median follow-up of 8 years, there were 2797 deaths due to any cause, including 840 CV deaths and 643 cancer deaths.
In the overall sample, compared with an eating duration of 12-16 hours, 8-hour TRE was significantly associated with an increased risk for CV mortality (hazard ratio

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have lost weight with intermittent fasting. Pre COVID I lost around 30 pounds. Gained it all back during lockdown and have inconsistently done intermittent again and lost around 20 -25. When doing well with the fasting regime I Noticed some palpitations and wondered if a fib.(Flunked cardiac stress test 10 years ago, no meds as BP good. Told to lose weight.) I just Completed a 14 day holter monitor and awaiting results. As I am a bit inconsistent in fasting I now notice the heart palpitations occurring less frequently. I fast from 9-10 pm till 5-6 pm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results