shape
carat
color
clarity

Intermittent fasting

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this quite a bit earlier this year and found 16:8 fast was quite effective, only trouble I had was getting headaches, maybe too much coffee? I lost about 5kg and loved it. I find I need to be organised, have the right food available so I don't cheat with sugary snacks.

Covid-19 happened and I sorta fell off the wagon whilst WFH but I want to get back on as I've regained the weight! :(sad I'm a very petite person and any weight really shows on me... Have downloaded Zero app again and will keep you posted on progress.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fasting makes me think of all the wasted years where I forced myself to eat things even though I wasn't particularly hungry because I believed it was bad to skip meals. Had to have at least three meals a day, some of which I didn't particularly care for. Wasted resources too!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve just started the 16:8 fast to try and lose a few stubborn kgs. I’ve really never struggled maintaining my weight but I’ve found since I hit 50, I’ve gradually increased by a few kgs every year and I don’t want to an extra 10 kg in 5 years time!
Any tips for a newbie, it’s only day 3 for me and I’m already starving :lol:.
I exercise most days and I’m so hungry, especially when I’m doing cycle/ spin class, I can hear my tummy grumbling.
Also struggling a bit with headaches.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally braggy post!

So after 2 years (maybe 3 I've lost track) of fasting I've achieved and kept the body I'm happy with.

I cannot express how amazing this has been for my lifestyle. I'm a picky eater who loves yummy food. I'm also crazy busy during the day so this is perfect for me.

Me after a 7 course tasting menu tonight.

Well done! You look gorgeous! You’ve given me inspiration to kick start my weight loss!
IMG-20201102-WA0003~2.jpg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Some might benefit from my IF experience, so I'll post too.

I started 16:8-20:4 about 7 years ago, not to lose weight, but to become more fat adapted and control my hypoglycemia episodes after pregnancy and having Gestational diabetes. They were awful, passing out in the grocery line, falling off the treadmill at the gym, etc. It completely worked for me, though I had to start off very slow, like 10:14 working my way up. I lost weight without feeling deprived and not feeling hunger pangs ever. I ate what I wanted and drank with my friends.
I stopped IF about 2 years ago because I couldn't sleep and my menstrual cycles were going haywire (I had to have a medical procedure to permanently stop my bleeding, therefore taking my fertility. As a mother of 5 that was not something I cared about, but would have been traumatizing to others or myself at other times in my life.) I finally realized that at 117 lbs I was very much UNDER my natural set weight, and my body was very stressed. I started having anxiety and would shake after getting upset because of the adrenaline. I think the stress of IF and being below my healthy weight was causing adrenal fatigue, as what would have been just someone annoying me normally, caused a serious fight or flight adrenaline dump almost every day. It was exhausting.

I stopped IF and gained 13 lbs bringing my weight up to its happy point, started sleeping normally again, and back to a more normal emotional level of wellbeing. This took 2 years to do.

Now after this Covid crap and my gym being closed for a long time, another 10 lbs has crept on. I'm feeling lethargic and frustrated at my clothes not fitting. I started IF again. But this time I'm going to be careful not to go too low and stress my body too much. My goal is back to 130 where my body is happy and people don't comment on my weight. One week down, and down one pound this morning.

I've decided to do 6:1 so I eat normally Sunday, then wait til dinner to eat Monday evening. I don't want to lower my metabolic rate by cut calories too fast or too much. I'm not in a huge hurry and would rather do it gently on my body, as I feel like it was way too much to have such a small window for me.

Obviously with my GD and hypoglycemia issues, I'm not suggesting it would be the same for everyone. This was just my personal experience.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Some might benefit from my IF experience, so I'll post too.

I started 16:8-20:4 about 7 years ago, not to lose weight, but to become more fat adapted and control my hypoglycemia episodes after pregnancy and having Gestational diabetes. They were awful, passing out in the grocery line, falling off the treadmill at the gym, etc. It completely worked for me, though I had to start off very slow, like 10:14 working my way up. I lost weight without feeling deprived and not feeling hunger pangs ever. I ate what I wanted and drank with my friends.
I stopped IF about 2 years ago because I couldn't sleep and my menstrual cycles were going haywire (I had to have a medical procedure to permanently stop my bleeding, therefore taking my fertility. As a mother of 5 that was not something I cared about, but would have been traumatizing to others or myself at other times in my life.) I finally realized that at 117 lbs I was very much UNDER my natural set weight, and my body was very stressed. I started having anxiety and would shake after getting upset because of the adrenaline. I think the stress of IF and being below my healthy weight was causing adrenal fatigue, as what would have been just someone annoying me normally, caused a serious fight or flight adrenaline dump almost every day. It was exhausting.

I stopped IF and gained 13 lbs bringing my weight up to its happy point, started sleeping normally again, and back to a more normal emotional level of wellbeing. This took 2 years to do.

Now after this Covid crap and my gym being closed for a long time, another 10 lbs has crept on. I'm feeling lethargic and frustrated at my clothes not fitting. I started IF again. But this time I'm going to be careful not to go too low and stress my body too much. My goal is back to 130 where my body is happy and people don't comment on my weight. One week down, and down one pound this morning.

I've decided to do 6:1 so I eat normally Sunday, then wait til dinner to eat Monday evening. I don't want to lower my metabolic rate by cut calories too fast or too much. I'm not in a huge hurry and would rather do it gently on my body, as I feel like it was way too much to have such a small window for me.

Obviously with my GD and hypoglycemia issues, I'm not suggesting it would be the same for everyone. This was just my personal experience.

Can you clarify? You said 16:8, 20:4.
Bit confused, you did both or intermittently intermittent?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Can you clarify? You said 16:8, 20:4.
Bit confused, you did both or intermittently intermittent?

I mean it would vary between those each day. I see that wasn't clear.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I mean it would vary between those each day. I see that wasn't clear.

Might have been confusing for your system? I'm no IF expert but I do think figuring out the nuances of your system is key and IF let's you do that.

I'd start again at say 14:10. Stay there for a while and see how it goes. If you have very slow but steady weight loss, stay there. If nothing, go down by an hour 15:9 etc.

My system can tolerate 16:8 and I've been hypoglycemic my whole life. Interestingly, it has settled down with 16:8. I do get intensely hungry at times but my system has adjusted to that ratio. I have done 18:6 by accident a few times and while I pulled it off, it wasn't something my body was in agreement with for more than very occasionally. For me I found a ratio that gives me some inflammation reduction and keeps my weight stable. I'm a few pounds heavier than my 20's, but I'm 54 and feel like my body wants a few extra pounds from that stage of my life (I was a size 4, so I'm good with being a 6). Weight is stable, pain levels have decreased.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.
I’m just 3 weeks in now and happy to report that my headaches have eased, not sure if it was detoxing in the early stages.
I’ve pretty much kept with 16/8 the whole time and I can see a difference both on the scales and how my clothes are fitting.
Although I didn’t have a huge amount of weight to shed seeing the scales go down gradually or maintaining my weight was much nicer than see it gradually climb!
On day 1, I was 54.7 kg (120lb) and now I’m 52.9kg ( 116lb). My goal weight was 52kg so only 1lb to go!
Can anyone advise if I need continue with the 16/8 once I’ve hit my goal weight but maybe have a cheat day and eat breakfast one day a week or should I perhaps try 14//10 for maintenance?
My main issue was snacking after dinner so another plan was to to cut the late night snacks but to eat breakfast at the regular time with my family which would be approx 13/10 but I don’t think the fasting period would be long enough?
What did you do once you hit your goal, did you continue with 16/8 now that it’s become your accustomed way of eating?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.
I’m just 3 weeks in now and happy to report that my headaches have eased, not sure if it was detoxing in the early stages.
I’ve pretty much kept with 16/8 the whole time and I can see a difference both on the scales and how my clothes are fitting.
Although I didn’t have a huge amount of weight to shed seeing the scales go down gradually or maintaining my weight was much nicer than see it gradually climb!
On day 1, I was 54.7 kg (120lb) and now I’m 52.9kg ( 116lb). My goal weight was 52kg so only 1lb to go!
Can anyone advise if I need continue with the 16/8 once I’ve hit my goal weight but maybe have a cheat day and eat breakfast one day a week or should I perhaps try 14//10 for maintenance?
My main issue was snacking after dinner so another plan was to to cut the late night snacks but to eat breakfast at the regular time with my family which would be approx 13/10 but I don’t think the fasting period would be long enough?
What did you do once you hit your goal, did you continue with 16/8 now that it’s become your accustomed way of eating?

Did you mean 14:10? :)
I've stayed with 16:8 as a maintenance plan. Sometimes I need to eat earlier so I shift the hours around a bit and don't eat as late in the day. I try to keep my 18 hour fast time whenever possible. I do have cheat days when it isn't possible to do my eat/fast times strictly, but just get back on it the next day. Seems to work and I'm 18 months in. IF works best as a way of life is what I've experienced.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you mean 14:10? :)
I've stayed with 16:8 as a maintenance plan. Sometimes I need to eat earlier so I shift the hours around a bit and don't eat as late in the day. I try to keep my 18 hour fast time whenever possible. I do have cheat days when it isn't possible to do my eat/fast times strictly, but just get back on it the next day. Seems to work and I'm 18 months in. IF works best as a way of life is what I've experienced.

Yes @Begonia 14:10 :lol:.
Did you continue to lose weight on 16:8 maintenance?
Maybe I’m being too optimistic thinking I’ll keep losing weight, I would like to maintain it at my goal weight if possible.
I guess it will be trial and error, finding out what works for me.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes @Begonia 14:10 :lol:.
Did you continue to lose weight on 16:8 maintenance?
Maybe I’m being too optimistic thinking I’ll keep losing weight, I would like to maintain it at my goal weight if possible.
I guess it will be trial and error, finding out what works for me.

No, I'm no longer losing weight, after the initial few pounds (probably 8 to 10?). To be fair, when I started IF 16:8, I was eating very clean and no treats along with going to the gym 3×/week, and 45 min daily walks. I no longer go to the gym and have been having treats lately. Happily tho, my weight hasn't gone up consistently doing this, even tho I'm menopausal. I don't own a scale, but go by how my clothes fit. If I find they're getting tight, no treats for a few weeks, and keep my eating/fasting windows more diligently to my ratio, and within a few weeks, my clothes fit. Very happily tho, my chronic back pain levels responds exceptionally well to IF.

Of course, the quality of your diet during IF is important. I try not to eat much gluten (breads, pasta, cookies etc) and have not replaced that with gluten free "breads", they're glycemic index nightmares many of them. My snacking has gone waaaay down, as I tend to eat a little more at meal time. I used to snack all day. I drink more water and herbal teas at night to stave off hunger. Personally I'm best not eating past 5 pm (6 at the very latest) as I have acid reflux and need to empty out that tummy before bed. That lets me eat at 9 or 10 am and get a breakfast in me. Gosh I'm rambling. I work shifts and things get a bit dodgy in my brain on day 4 (of eight)...

You'll figure put what works for you!

Last edited:

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you @Begonia it’s not rambling to me, it’s all very helpful information for a newbie =)2.
My eating window is between 11am until 7pm, I try and have dinner a bit earlier and finish at 6:30pm, then I’ll sip herbal tea in the evening if I start to feel peckish. I’ll also brush my teeth earlier so it deters me from eating too.
I’ve been a grazer all my life, eating smaller meals but snacking through the day so I’ve had to change my way of eating, but I’m getting there and retraining myself to skip breakfast.

I exercise every day, either a gym class, RPM, body balance, yoga, barre or a walk so that makes me really hungry especially when I wake up super early around 5:30am and I can’t eat until 11am! Funnily enough the odd day that I don’t exercise I don’t feel as hungry. Maybe I should skip the gym more often :lol:.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thank you @Begonia it’s not rambling to me, it’s all very helpful information for a newbie =)2.
My eating window is between 11am until 7pm, I try and have dinner a bit earlier and finish at 6:30pm, then I’ll sip herbal tea in the evening if I start to feel peckish. I’ll also brush my teeth earlier so it deters me from eating too.
I’ve been a grazer all my life, eating smaller meals but snacking through the day so I’ve had to change my way of eating, but I’m getting there and retraining myself to skip breakfast.

I exercise every day, either a gym class, RPM, body balance, yoga, barre or a walk so that makes me really hungry especially when I wake up super early around 5:30am and I can’t eat until 11am! Funnily enough the odd day that I don’t exercise I don’t feel as hungry. Maybe I should skip the gym more often :lol:.

I hear you about being a grazer! I've been one my whole life until I started IF. My eating window used to be 18 to 19 hours. It's reversed now and my body had to learn a new approach. I was very nervous about it at first and came here for some support and read a lot about IF. When I was pregnant I had to get up in the night once in the first two trimesters and sometimes twice in the last to eat. Years ago now...

Yes, additional exercise will make you hungry. The body would rather you feed it than dip into those fat stores. Fat is very resistant to being used up by the body, and develops it's own vasculature I'm told. Ideally it's best to not let too much develop as it's harder and harder to get rid of. If it's too difficult ot uncomfortable to do strenuous exercise while fasting, perhaps change the timing of that exercise to your eating window? I think exercise is good while fasting to encourage it going after excess fat stores but maybe leave the lighter exercise for when you're fasting. You might find you have to eat a bit more and the exercise will use up some of those calories. Watch the weight and if you plateau or gain, rethink it. When I went to the gym, I adjusted my eating window to allow for a small but healthy breakfast. I was able to do a much better workout that way. That's predominantly why my eating window starts earlier, as I'm much more active early in the day. I seem to handle the hunger at night a little better, and am much better hydrated because of it.

It all sounds like a lot of work, but personally the mental energy I put into IF is no more than I used to put into hypoglycemia and snacking/grazing all day. The bonus is my pain is down and my clothes fit.

Whether IF is something a person can adjust to, well only they can decide. I do think the value of having some kind of window of fasting is significant. We all have inflammation that could be reduced. Wish I'd made this connection years ago. Premenopausally my fasting window would have been less, but the benefits would have been helpful.

I should also say that I do adjust my ratio slightly as needed, and I try to plan ahead if possible. Some days my break at work is 9am. Okay gotta eat now, so I know I should finish up by 5pm. Made cookies and ate one or two at 7pm, okay gonna push my fasting window to 11am the next day. Can't push it to 11am cuz I'm working and my break is at 9am? Okay, I'm gonna eat at 9am and get back on my ratio today and finish up at 5pm and get back on track.

Last edited:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I both do IF. Caveat: we did not start with a lot of weight to lose and neither of us has diabetes, but our goals were to get healthier, gain more energy, and slim down. He started doing IF several months before me, and effortlessly lost 20 lbs. At first, I had zero interest in doing it myself and marveled at how he could even ‘endure’ such a thing. As a constant snacker at all hours of the day, I thought I would NEVER be able to do it. Well, I finally started IF in October and have lost 11 lbs so far—baby weight that has not budged in 8 years! We both do 18:6 usually. I also do dirty keto, but he does not. He still eats and drinks whatever he feels like eating (not fair!), but he did eliminate bread. Anyway, we both LOVE doing IF and I have so much more energy now. Some days I go for 20-22 hours. I have not done a full 24 hour fast yet, but hope to soon.

Also, Dr. Jason Fung is a godsend and his books are what got us on this much healthier path. It was not until I found his books that I really began to understand about insulin, fat storage, etc.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I have been frustrated by is feeling sort of betrayed? (for lack of a better word) by the diet and nutrition experts who advised to eat many small, light meals and snacks throughout the day to “keep your metabolism high.” As a natural grazer this suited me fine and I followed the advice throughout my life, not realizing that my insulin would always be high by constantly being in a fed state. I now know better but it’s been a big adjustment to change my way of thinking. I think society actively encourages this constant eating too. For example, my kids’ schools: there are frequent official snack times, often just an hour or two before lunch, and an hour after lunch. But they also say students can snack or drink at their desks whenever they want. Then they go to soccer or swimming or a play date etc. and there are yet more snack times. Seems kind of excessive, and setting up bad habits for later in life.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
One thing I have been frustrated by is feeling sort of betrayed? (for lack of a better word) by the diet and nutrition experts who advised to eat many small, light meals and snacks throughout the day to “keep your metabolism high.” As a natural grazer this suited me fine and I followed the advice throughout my life, not realizing that my insulin would always be high by constantly being in a fed state. I now know better but it’s been a big adjustment to change my way of thinking. I think society actively encourages this constant eating too. For example, my kids’ schools: there are frequent official snack times, often just an hour or two before lunch, and an hour after lunch. But they also say students can snack or drink at their desks whenever they want. Then they go to soccer or swimming or a play date etc. and there are yet more snack times. Seems kind of excessive, and setting up bad habits for later in life.

Right??? That's been my existence for 50+ years now. I'm just hoping that IF is the right lifestyle, and I can only go off of how I feel, but I do wonder if I've just done a pendulum swing without real benefit. Grazing and small frequent meals were all I knew and my life seemed to revolve around them.

I do feel a clarity of mind in the latter half of my fasting state occasionally, before hunger sets in. Hard to describe but clear, focused and...joyful? I don't feel joy too often with my anxiety so I sit up and take notice when it happens. If I combine it with a brisk walk, the anxiety disappears for an hour or two. Respite.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right??? That's been my existence for 50+ years now. I'm just hoping that IF is the right lifestyle, and I can only go off of how I feel, but I do wonder if I've just done a pendulum swing without real benefit. Grazing and small frequent meals were all I knew and my life seemed to revolve around them.

I do feel a clarity of mind in the latter half of my fasting state occasionally, before hunger sets in. Hard to describe but clear, focused and...joyful? I don't feel joy too often with my anxiety so I sit up and take notice when it happens. If I combine it with a brisk walk, the anxiety disappears for an hour or two. Respite.

Hi Begonia. Based on the results I’ve seen, my husband’s, and the many other people who do IF, I think it’s the right lifestyle. I’m fitting in jeans I haven’t worn since I was 22, with lots of energy to boot! However, for us natural born grazers, it’s definitely a big adjustment. I confess I still do miss having little snacks whenever the urge strikes. ;(I just remind myself I’m not in my eating window yet. Do you miss the snacking? I’ve heard it gets even easier over time!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hi Begonia. Based on the results I’ve seen, my husband’s, and the many other people who do IF, I think it’s the right lifestyle. I’m fitting in jeans I haven’t worn since I was 22, with lots of energy to boot! However, for us natural born grazers, it’s definitely a big adjustment. I confess I still do miss having little snacks whenever the urge strikes. ;(I just remind myself I’m not in my eating window yet. Do you miss the snacking? I’ve heard it gets even easier over time!

Do. I. Ever!
I was small build high metabolism and nibbled all day. Sigh. Good times, but who knew about insulin spikes all the time.
I believe it too, based on a decrease in pain and some other positives. Such an adjustment. Gotta drive to work, more thoughts soon...

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I miss snacking too, it’s been my way of life for over 50 years, so it’s been a big adjustment. Although I was never over weight, once I hit late 40’s I found I had belly fat that wouldn’t shift despite exercising daily. I’m so pleased to see that it’s finally shrinking! Unfortunately I gave away all my tight fitting pants, if I had known I would have kept them :lol:.
I also craved sweet treats, my hand was always in the lolly jar or cookies, but now my sweet cravings have reduced, I still have the occasional treat, but before it was after every meal, I would need something sweet.

I do miss eating breakfast with my family though, I’m sipping herbal tea whilst they’re tucking in their pancakes, toast or cereal.
@Laila619 my son snacks all day, he’s a grazer for sure and he gets the hangry if he doesn’t eat, whilst my daughter tends to eat larger meals and less snacks, funny that they both havedifferent eating habits. My son is skinny! He finds it’s difficult to put on any weight, whilst my daughter is a healthy weight.
I asked my DH would he consider trying IF but he’s not keen, he loves his breakfast too much ...lol
It’s still early days for me, but I’m going to keep with it as I’m feeling great and so happy that I’m finally moving those stubborn kgs.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hear you about being a grazer! I've been one my whole life until I started IF. My eating window used to be 18 to 19 hours. It's reversed now and my body had to learn a new approach. I was very nervous about it at first and came here for some support and read a lot about IF. When I was pregnant I had to get up in the night once in the first two trimesters and sometimes twice in the last to eat. Years ago now...

Yes, additional exercise will make you hungry. The body would rather you feed it than dip into those fat stores. Fat is very resistant to being used up by the body, and develops it's own vasculature I'm told. Ideally it's best to not let too much develop as it's harder and harder to get rid of. If it's too difficult ot uncomfortable to do strenuous exercise while fasting, perhaps change the timing of that exercise to your eating window? I think exercise is good while fasting to encourage it going after excess fat stores but maybe leave the lighter exercise for when you're fasting. You might find you have to eat a bit more and the exercise will use up some of those calories. Watch the weight and if you plateau or gain, rethink it. When I went to the gym, I adjusted my eating window to allow for a small but healthy breakfast. I was able to do a much better workout that way. That's predominantly why my eating window starts earlier, as I'm much more active early in the day. I seem to handle the hunger at night a little better, and am much better hydrated because of it.

It all sounds like a lot of work, but personally the mental energy I put into IF is no more than I used to put into hypoglycemia and snacking/grazing all day. The bonus is my pain is down and my clothes fit.

Whether IF is something a person can adjust to, well only they can decide. I do think the value of having some kind of window of fasting is significant. We all have inflammation that could be reduced. Wish I'd made this connection years ago. Premenopausally my fasting window would have been less, but the benefits would have been helpful.

I should also say that I do adjust my ratio slightly as needed, and I try to plan ahead if possible. Some days my break at work is 9am. Okay gotta eat now, so I know I should finish up by 5pm. Made cookies and ate one or two at 7pm, okay gonna push my fasting window to 11am the next day. Can't push it to 11am cuz I'm working and my break is at 9am? Okay, I'm gonna eat at 9am and get back on my ratio today and finish up at 5pm and get back on track.

Thanks for your in-depth response, I really appreciate your insight.
I’ve had to adjust my choice of exercise classes, I tried to do a HIT class and it was too strenuous for me and I just lacked the energy.
Unfortunately I can’t adjust my feeding window as I really want to continue sharing dinner time with my family.
Thanks for the tips about being flexible and getting on track as much as possible. I’ve realized how much of my socialization revolves around food/coffee catch ups and although it hasn’t been easy I’ve just had to have a cup of herbal tea and try not to drool when my friends order their yummy food and coffee!!
I cannot drink black coffee, I prefer it with milk so it’ herbal tea for me! IF has really open my eyes about my diet, health and I’m finding all the information fascinating.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Update on me. As of today I have lost 9 lbs since Thanksgiving week doing at least 16:8, some OMAD, and twice fasted to 40 hours. I didn't even really mean for those to be that long. But when it came time to eat I honestly wasn't hungry. I bought myself a breath ketone meter and have noticed I have constant ketones, even after eating Mexican food with tortillas, chips, beans, and beer. I also should say I'm not truly fasting that long as I put 3 Tbsp of gelatin and a splash of heavy cream in my coffee each morning.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait until Monday when I go back on IF! Lost a ton of weight last year and was really on track when COVID-19 hit and work went remote. The support at work was really a bonus but now no one at home looks askance when I eat crap. Gained a ton back as I stopped my eight mile power walks in lieu of lunch, perfected my baking skills and bought carb heavy foods that I had deprived myself of when I dieted. Still working remote and winter weather makes walking hard but diet resumes on Monday. I am consuming large quantities of contraband foods now and my arthritis can feel it. My IF time is totally opposite of most. I start to eat around 4,5, or 6pm and stop at 10 or 11pm as I am more of a night eater. I drink a cup of black coffee in the morning and La Croix flavored water or herbal tea during the day. I will avoid carb heavy foods focusing on meats and cheeses as well as veggies including a salad. No alcohol. Trying to find time to download some exercise or dance videos as no gym membership or equipment in the house. Hoping you all will keep me motivated!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Today I completed my 1st 48 hour fast, not really for the weight loss but in hopes it would help my body recover from Covid. The only lingering symptoms are disturbed taste and smell. Several things still smell like plastic such as lemon and some of my essential oil blends. Lavender still smells like electrical fire. So I am fasting for autophogy and healing. Last week when I fasted 42 hours my jasmine conditioner stopped smelling like corn on the cob, lol. Fingers crossed fasting helps my neurons rebuild.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I completed my 1st 48 hour fast, not really for the weight loss but in hopes it would help my body recover from Covid. The only lingering symptoms are disturbed taste and smell. Several things still smell like plastic such as lemon and some of my essential oil blends. Lavender still smells like electrical fire. So I am fasting for autophogy and healing. Last week when I fasted 42 hours my jasmine conditioner stopped smelling like corn on the cob, lol. Fingers crossed fasting helps my neurons rebuild.

How are you going @Mrs_Strizzle? Has your sense of smell and taste returned to normal?
I haven’t tried any of the longer fasts but I’m still sticking to the 16:8 most days.
I wasn’t sure if I would continue after achieving my goal weight, but now after 4 months I’m happy to keep going.
I love that I don’t need to count calories and during my eating window I can pretty much eat what I want, including the occasional treat.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
How are you going @Mrs_Strizzle? Has your sense of smell and taste returned to normal?
I haven’t tried any of the longer fasts but I’m still sticking to the 16:8 most days.
I wasn’t sure if I would continue after achieving my goal weight, but now after 4 months I’m happy to keep going.
I love that I don’t need to count calories and during my eating window I can pretty much eat what I want, including the occasional treat.

Thanks for asking. I am seeing improvements after each fasting bout. Yesterday I did a 38 hour fast, and today it seems things have stronger smells than before. As it came back it was like i was smelling my perfume through a sheet, or on my jacket from last week. Now smelling my perfume from the bottle it is stronger and stronger. I would say my smell is 70% back. I'm hearing horror stories about it never fully restoring, but trying to ignore that and celebrate the baby steps I'm making.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think people should first ask their doctor whether they can fast.
Some medical conditions can make fasting unsafe or dangerous.
For instance, diabetics must eat properly and timely to control their blood sugar.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For instance, diabetics must eat properly and timely to control their blood sugar.

Definitely people should check with their doctors first. Some docs are skeptical of fasting as a means to control diabetes. Jason Fung, an expert treating diabetics, wrote his books about this very thing. I don't remember the number of patients he has treated and is successfully treating, but many of them have improved their numbers, dropped weight, and in a lot of cases were able to stop their meds due to following a fasting protocol. Many with co morbidities also improved with fasting -- blood pressure, heart issues, etc. His book, The Obesity Code, is one of the most illuminating I've read in a long time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results