shape
carat
color
clarity

Input on Slightly Steeper Crown?

JohnnyS

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I've been looking nonstop for the right engagement ring, but unfortunately, my search for diamonds is limited to one vendor (Brilliant Earth). They sell a vintage setting that I really like, and I've not been able to find anything like it elsewhere. They will not set an outside diamond, nor will they sell the setting by itself. If I had my choice, I'd have already picked up a diamond from Whiteflash.

After A LOT of searching in Brilliant Earth inventory, I think I've finally found a diamond that I really like. The problem is that their image data only consists of a picture of the diamond (after I requested it be taken), and no ASET nor Imagescope images (yet).

I am a little concerned about the steeper crown angle at 35.5. It is paired with a shallow pavilion angle of 40.6, but I don't know if that might still be a candidate for light loss? It does still classify as AGSL Ideal based on their proportion charts here: http://agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf but I don't really know how useful that is.

I do like the idea of steeper crowns for more fire. I would have probably passed on it just to be on the safe side, but I requested the pic of it from the vendor and I love the optical symmetry on it. Getting pics at all from them for various diamonds has been a real pain, so I was stoked to finally find something that looked so nice.

Brilliant Earth says they can only get ASET/Imagescope pics if I either purchase it or place a 50% deposit on it so they can ship it from their international inventory into one of their US domestic branch offices for more imagery. They do have a full refund policy as well. I will likely purchase it and get them to take the ASET pictures before doing the setting. If it doesn't look good, I guess I go back to searching.

Anyone have any initial opinions on how it might perform based on the specs and the image?

GIA Specs:

.63 carat
H
VS2
Cut/Polish/Sym: Excellent
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.9
Crown Angle: 35.5 degrees
Pavillion Angle: 40.6 degrees
Girdle: medium 3.5%
Lower girdle: 80%
Star length: 50%
$2390 USD

Thanks!

1979294a.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should get an IS or an ASET with any crown that high. But Brilliant Earth doesn't do that. I think you are fine given the size of the stone and the image.

It's a nice stone.

JohnnyS

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, Gypsy. Much appreciated.

Most of the images I've requested from Brilliant Earth have been pretty bad, so I got excited when something came through that was this clean. Yeah, I'm gonna do what I can to get some ASET images from them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show us the setting, because if it is antique style, an antique cut stone would look a lot better than a modern round brilliant. You can have a ring custom made easily. BE doesn't have the best prices, either.

JohnnyS

Rough_Rock
It is more of a vintage feel than anything. It is the Brilliant Earth Hudson, here:
http://www.brilliantearth.com/Hudson-Ring-Platinum-BE132-1152722/

Paul Gian does a good write up on the setting with lots of pics on his Beyond the 4 Cs site.

Getting a similar ring in Platinum custom made is apparently a bit out of my budget, unfortunately. Anyone seen a setting somewhere that looks similar?

slightly-widening-shanks-for-accent.jpg

intricate-hand-carved-patterns-of-vintage-diamond-ring.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would contact David Klass and show him those pictures. He has an excellent engraver and reasonable prices. Then we can help you get a much better stone for that setting! I am going to take a quick look and see what is available in antique cut diamonds for $2400.

Blink

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have looked around, too, and I still think your best bet is David Klass because getting good engraving is so important. Jewels by Grace has a few diamonds close to your range, but I would contact her and have her pull them and tell you which is best. An antique diamond is just going to look SO much better in an antique setting.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/65ct-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-g-vs1#.V7ChjPkrLIU

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/65ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-vs2#.V7CgPPkrLIU

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/80ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h#.V7CgL_krLIU

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, get a stuller setting from someone and have it hand engraved. Much better idea. And get a nice OEC for it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

JohnnyS

Rough_Rock
Blink said:
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-engraved-reverse-taper-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50144</span>

This one is from JA and looks pretty similar. However - it's $1000 more. They have a 15% off coupon right now that you can get by completing a scavenger hunt on their website. That brings it down to $1963.

This was the closest one I found though - Checking Stuller is also a great idea - As PintoBean said

Thanks for the input, Blink. I had seen that one as well. It's close, but I do very much like the hand engraved look of the Brilliant Earth shanks vs the cast details of that James Allen piece.

diamondseeker2006 said:
Show us the setting, because if it is antique style, an antique cut stone would look a lot better than a modern round brilliant. You can have a ring custom made easily. BE doesn't have the best prices, either.

I hadn't even considered an Old European Cut. I don't know much about those, nor seen many. I will definitely look into some comparisons. Can you tell me what you find more attractive about those styles of diamond? I am not sure what my significant other might have a preference for.

JohnnyS

Rough_Rock
The ASET image for the stone in my original post came through. I see a good bit of whitish/pink in the center ring. Mediocre performance? Any opinions out there?

Do you think this is a result of the slightly steeper crown angle specifically, or a result of something like imprecise cut quality? Both?

I was hoping for better in the ASET image, but I honestly have little to no experience interpreting these results. The stone is on the smaller side at .63 carats, so I'm not sure how much impact those whitish areas might have. If anyone has a take on the ASET image, I would love to hear it.

1979294a_aset.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results