shape
carat
color
clarity

Input needed for CAD for my OEC reset - specifically what to do with ring shoulders

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
When I upgraded to my almost 4ct solitaire I decided to keep my 2ct oec (thanks DH) but as it was very similar in style to the upgrade, I decided to set it in yellow gold for a completely different look and I will also wear on middle or index finger. DK will be doing it. Here are my main inspirations:

brushed octagonal.jpg

IMG_4795.PNG

IMG_5040.png

I definitely want the satin finish; I'm doing just one prong instead of double prongs. Because his octagon in the inspo is a bit heavy and masculine for my taste I added a gallery based on a prior DK design I saw . That design had a split shank which I didn't care for, but when I eliminated that, the band just looks so skinny and the octagon head so heavy. I don't want to copycat the cvb even though I like the way those shoulders look. Here is the cad:

DK 74586-QUAD-2 (1)2.jpg

Anyway I need ideas for the shoulders and I was thinking; I love fleur de lis and have incorporated them in jewelry before (I have French and Louisianan connections and I just like the fleur anyway). So I saw some of these and though maybe putting those at the shoulder so it wouldn't look so top heavy - this is the best I can find online but can't get a good side view of this ring:

Inked8850f85de7fe00c6a3c23f7b208b8348_LI.jpg
I'm just wondering what you guys think of this idea; if it would look odd? I have a hard time visualizing the two together. If @Rfisher would be willing to use her skills to plop that fleur on DK's octagon I would be most grateful :) I am also open to other shoulder ideas! Thanks guys and hope you had a good Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

Attachments

• IMG_5040.PNG
    IMG_5040.PNG
    513.6 KB · Views: 7

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I upgraded to my almost 4ct solitaire I decided to keep my 2ct oec (thanks DH) but as it was very similar in style to the upgrade, I decided to set it in yellow gold for a completely different look and I will also wear on middle or index finger. DK will be doing it. Here are my main inspirations:

brushed octagonal.jpg

IMG_4795.PNG

IMG_5040.png

I definitely want the satin finish; I'm doing just one prong instead of double prongs. Because his octagon in the inspo is a bit heavy and masculine for my taste I added a gallery based on a prior DK design I saw . That design had a split shank which I didn't care for, but when I eliminated that, the band just looks so skinny and the octagon head so heavy. I don't want to copycat the cvb even though I like the way those shoulders look. Here is the cad:

DK 74586-QUAD-2 (1)2.jpg

Anyway I need ideas for the shoulders and I was thinking; I love fleur de lis and have incorporated them in jewelry before (I have French and Louisianan connections and I just like the fleur anyway). So I saw some of these and though maybe putting those at the shoulder so it wouldn't look so top heavy - this is the best I can find online but can't get a good side view of this ring:

Inked8850f85de7fe00c6a3c23f7b208b8348_LI.jpg
I'm just wondering what you guys think of this idea; if it would look odd? I have a hard time visualizing the two together. If @Rfisher would be willing to use her skills to plop that fleur on DK's octagon I would be most grateful :) I am also open to other shoulder ideas! Thanks guys and hope you had a good Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

Can you find different fleur de lis that more to the same angle/ perspective as your CAD is?
I cannot make the one you have shown work.

have you thought about increasing the width of your shank? It is only at 2mm, and I think (but not sure) it will finish out thinner than that? Since you said it looks skinny compared to the octagon?

you also mentioned it looking top heavy, with your stone having a depth of 4.80, it looks like you ( if the cad is accurate to your stone) have room to reduce the depth of the basket? That might help, as well.

92D35F52-70BA-4296-8368-A65E19BF561C.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Can you find different fleur de lis that more to the same angle/ perspective as your CAD is?
I cannot make the one you have shown work.

have you thought about increasing the width of your shank? It is only at 2mm, and I think (but not sure) it will finish out thinner than that? Since you said it looks skinny compared to the octagon?

you also mentioned it looking top heavy, with your stone having a depth of 4.80, it looks like you ( if the cad is accurate to your stone) have room to reduce the depth of the basket? That might help, as well.

Yes I definitely thought of making the shank thicker. I just though the fleur might give it some more "pizzazz". I will try to find another one in a similar angle - it's tough to find haha.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered making the bezel less thick?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered making the bezel less thick?

No just bc I like that part of the look so it differs dramatically from the solitaire and adds more coverage :) especially since I’m wearing it on my index or middle. I think thickening the shank/shoulder is the way to go just trying to think what to do with the shoulder.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I'd put the fleur with a bezel that wide. I think of fleurs as more of a delicate thing, and the wider bezel is more modern and not really delicate. Why not make the shank a bit wider and just splay the shank out a bit as it meets the head. Hard for me to say since you didn't like the split shank. I agree that I would also lower it as it looks like there is room for that. Could you do something to the shank like this for more interest?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
1609551350786.png
I can't remember whose set this is(I'm so sorry! It's beautiful!), but the slight concave shank with milgrained sides of the left example, I think is just lovely. It could be a nice offset to the bezel.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the band looks overly skinny. Just make the top of the band flat rather than domed (underside should stay curved for a comfort fit), and either raise or milgrain the edges - whatever you're doing to the octagon bezel.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the fleur de lis even when it is that big… imho a plain shank with just one hunk of solid metal makes the ring look more clunky even though it would make the side finger spread wider. But tastes vary so do what makes you happy :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Split shank with a small OEC in the cusp?

DK :))

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I think a FdL that size might steal some of that show from you diamond and that very cool bezel. Stylistically does a FdL work with an octagon? I think islamic, Alhambra style art with a octagon.

Would you consider engraving, carvings above the rondel, on the shoulders? Something geometric?

B8E82E36-4681-4F5C-B914-4A9B9F7945CA.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don't think the band looks overly skinny. Just make the top of the band flat rather than domed (underside should stay curved for a comfort fit), and either raise or milgrain the edges - whatever you're doing to the octagon bezel.

I’m having difficulty visualizing what it means to “make the top flat rather than domed”. I’m so bad at this stuff!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think a FdL that size might steal some of that show from you diamond and that very cool bezel. Stylistically does a FdL work with an octagon? I think islamic, Alhambra style art with a octagon.

Would you consider engraving, carvings above the rondel, on the shoulders? Something geometric?

B8E82E36-4681-4F5C-B914-4A9B9F7945CA.jpeg

I’m very open to ideas yes!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m having difficulty visualizing what it means to “make the top flat rather than domed”. I’m so bad at this stuff!!

Don’t want to step on toes - but I think I can answer this.
She means the shank’s cross section shape.
Right now yours is rounded but not round.
A great example of what she’s meaning is mrs-b’s beloved ring, before she had the shank changed. It was comfort fit rounded on the inside against your finger, but the outside edges were squared off (with the raised/milgrain option) and the face of the shank was flat.

Seeing examples of your options, whether in others finished projects or in cut/paste adventures
Is where you are going to decide for yourself if you don’t want to mix soft rounded shapes and features with angular shapes, and certain characteristics of one time period of design with another. Or if you do.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Don’t want to step on toes - but I think I can answer this.
She means the shank’s cross section shape.
Right now yours is rounded but not round.
A great example of what she’s meaning is mrs-b’s beloved ring, before she had the shank changed. It was comfort fit rounded on the inside against your finger, but the outside edges were squared off (with the raised/milgrain option) and the face of the shank was flat.

Seeing examples of your options, whether in others finished projects or in cut/paste adventures
Is where you are going to decide for yourself if you don’t want to mix soft rounded shapes and features with angular shapes, and certain characteristics of one time period of design with another. Or if you do.

Thanks I am going to have a peek at her ring and others! I will figure it out :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As it sits I think it looks confused. The shank and basket are a different ring than the chunky mod bezel
I’m not a huge fan of the flur on the side because again I think that makes the design look confused. If you want to keep an interesting bezel (which I get and I love) I think simpler design elements are your friend.
doesn’t mean they have to be masculine but they should be larger.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this could be an interesting way to approach the bezel you already have. Chunky band on either side
75287BF6-1BA9-4AF5-B3A2-CCE043190C44.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This you might think is too masculine but this sort of horse nail shank would be define
5F7F0450-5F25-468D-8144-D4F41132071C.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was hoping you might chime in @Niel bc you always have good ideas. I’m not a fan of the double bands but I do like that first one – in the magnified pic it looks a little too overwhelming for me but I realize that it’s magnified and when I see it in the smaller pic it doesn’t overwhelm. That is some thing that I tend to forget ha ha when I’m looking at these designs - the magnification.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping you might chime in @Niel bc you always have good ideas. I’m not a fan of the double bands but I do like that first one – in the magnified pic it looks a little too overwhelming for me but I realize that it’s magnified and when I see it in the smaller pic it doesn’t overwhelm. That is some thing that I tend to forget ha ha when I’m looking at these designs - the magnification.

Dk could accomplish a similar shank as he did my spinel and that has a very similar shank. If you went that route I’d slightly round the corners of the halo probably to soften it slightly - and then maybe bulk up the basket slightly

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the shoop I did had the points the 3/9 o clock positions. Here’s an example of a ring where the shank is I’m sure not to your linking because it’s too masculine, but you can look at these proportions and apply that same shank.
361B395C-908E-4047-A883-33B69E2F69E0.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also look at your cads your stone is set very high is there a reason it’s not set lower?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I scale both your first Inspiration photo and the DK photo to the size of your diamond; I come out with a bezel width of about 10.50mm. This compares to the 11.75mm width shown on tour CAD. Maybe it's the wider bezel that is making it seem top heavy?

The 8.00mm height seems too much for a 4.80mm diamond, 6.50mm might be more appropriate.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also look at your cads your stone is set very high is there a reason it’s not set lower?

I don’t know why it’s set that high. I just gave him the inspo pics and that is the way it’s drawn.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Dk could accomplish a similar shank as he did my spinel and that has a very similar shank. If you went that route I’d slightly round the corners of the halo probably to soften it slightly - and then maybe bulk up the basket slightly

I didn’t even remember that your spinel had a swoop! It’s so pretty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know why it’s set that high. I just gave him the inspo pics and that is the way it’s drawn.

I suspect maybe to get all the details in the basket is why. But if you make the profile basket detail less busy- you could lower it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results