shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited ring didn't sell/other options

fel

Shiny_Rock
Wow I love everything about this ring! Mid mod is my vibe, and this has it in spades! If I were able to afford it I’d buy it as is!

Do you have an OEC or OMC to trade for it? Seriously...

btw: it is all platinum not white gold. Also it was designed in the early 60's by my mother who happens to be an artist (formally trained in art school.). She also loved the mid-century aesthetic at that time. (She has some wonderful furniture I may someday inherit.)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its hard when we end up with jewelry we don't love. I like the idea of putting your tourmaline in the center. I would not be willing to risk a recut unless I really wanted the stone myself. The diamond would make a nice pendant.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Do you have an OEC or OMC to trade for it? Seriously...

btw: it is all platinum not white gold. Also it was designed in the early 60's by my mother who happens to be an artist (formally trained in art school.). She also loved the mid-century aesthetic at that time. (She has some wonderful furniture I may someday inherit.)

I have an OMC and a transitional, but they’re keepers! I just can’t believe it wasn’t snapped up! I can only think it was the price?

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have an OMC and a transitional, but they’re keepers! I just can’t believe it wasn’t snapped up! I can only think it was the price?

I think when I originally listed on LT I said I would take offers and also was open to trades. As I recall, I got a lot of pushback then that the diamond was not Pricescope quality (obviously!) I really know nothing about modern diamond cuts since I always gravitated to the old cuts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I’d figure out how much consignment is costing you, figure out how much it is to recut - and list it for that lower price.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think when I originally listed on LT I said I would take offers and also was open to trades. As I recall, I got a lot of pushback then that the diamond was not Pricescope quality (obviously!) I really know nothing about modern diamond cuts since I always gravitated to the old cuts.

Sorry if you were unlucky enough to run into a lil bully group. I have seen all sorts of things at all quality levels on Loupetroop so what you were told is not true.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can. you see what the problem is from the GIA?
I'm going to give you my opinion and its a harsh one.
Click below only if your prepared to hear an unflattering opinion about the stone.
This is all my opinion.
Yea everything combined adds up to its unsalable other than at a price you would find insulting.
The weight being over 1.5 is a plus but does it outweigh everything else? No or it would have sold already.
The j color is good news for a recut because everything else could possibly be improved and j colored stones are in demand.
If its a candidate for re-cutting I would probably go for it just because the value as it is now is so low.
Or take what you can get and run but it wont be much.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to give you my opinion and its a harsh one.
Click below only if your prepared to hear an unflattering opinion about the stone.
This is all my opinion.
Yea everything combined adds up to its unsalable other than at a price you would find insulting.
The weight being over 1.5 is a plus but does it outweigh everything else? No or it would have sold already.
The j color is good news for a recut because everything else could possibly be improved and j colored stones are in demand.
If its a candidate for re-cutting I would probably go for it just because the value as it is now is so low.
Or take what you can get and run but it wont be much.

I actually agree with you -- I don't think your opinion is overly harsh. Luckily, I didn't choose that stone or I would be quite insulted. But my mother's ex chose it and he wasn't the brightest bulb (he was a diamond salesman, believe it or not.)

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Your tourmaline in that setting would look amazing. And it would be an homage to your mother.
I have little experience with this but I imagine the diamond would sell more easily loose.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Your tourmaline in that setting would look amazing. And it would be an homage to your mother.
I have little experience with this but I imagine the diamond would sell more easily loose.

Still waiting on Brian Gavin. I think to sell the diamond I need to recut it.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I was actually thinking of putting the tourmaline from my avatar in the setting -- What do you think? That has been sitting a box for 6 years and was never set.

Oh good idea, that would look beautiful. I like the setting and think it has a really cool vibe, but it's not what most people are looking for, esp for an every day engagement type ring.

You could then try selling the diamond or setting it in a classic but relatively low-cost solitaire and try to sell.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are still considering a recut, I highly recommend Southwest Diamond Cutters in Dallas. Their prices are very reasonable.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Update: The diamond is cut, and it is now 000 AGS, I, VS2, but only 1.2 carats. So it went up in clarity, color and especially ***cut*** but down in size.

The thing is: I don't want to keep this particular diamond owing to my history with it. So my question for the forum -- should I get it named a Brian Gavin Diamond and trade up, or attempt to do something else with it? It is $1000 to make it Brian Gavin.

Thanks!!!
AGS000ASET.jpg AGS000recut.jpg

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, if you decide to make the stone a BG you‘d be out another $1000 & sinking more $$. That’s a lot, especially you’ve had it listed with someone else for like 6 years (I think earlier post said you sunk $500), then also had it recut (w/BG, that must of cost $400 or more) and now recerted with AGS.. I don’t think I would spend anymore on this stone personally as it is now certed AGS 000 which is awesome! On the positive side you now have the ASET and H&A images to prove how good the cut is on this stone!

Now with diamond prices going up, please consider keeping this stone for future (maybe for your kids?) or perhaps a fun wearable project for yourself? Just some things to consider…

-C4C

fel

Shiny_Rock
@Crazie4Cuts I know this must be asked ALOT, but what is the fuzzy creature in your avatar and where are its eyes?

I have sunk $1600 into this inherited diamond as it is with nothing to show for it, so you do have a point. But my children are not diamond wearers, one is engaged and I had a thread about the engagement ring they purchased for their fiancee (rose cut cluster), the other is an ardent environmentalist who would almost certainly want some sort of ethically sourced non-diamond if he became engaged, so I have no reason to hold onto it for them.

On the plus side of making it a BGD, I could trade for a cushion or quadex -- two shapes I find rather modernist and intriguing.

Keeping it and wearing it is just not an option because I have a stress response when I think about the man who purchased it.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're still over the 1 carat mark and I sincerely believe you should be able to sell it, for a fella/gal looking to propose this is a great stone, I'd try LT again. I'd also take the side stones and make one of those cool marquis, round, emerald cut eternity rings, I love them.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The recut looks great. I understand that you don't want to keep the stone. I at first assumed, since it belonged to your mom, you'd want to for sentimental reasons. Now i see that isn't the situation at all. If it were me, I'd not pay another $1000 to have it called a BGD, regardless of the trade, unless the trade worked out less expensive than selling it out right and taking those funds, plus the $1000 the label would cost and buying a stone from any vendor. I'd run the numbers. I doubt you will have trouble selling the stone now, but you should do comps to get an idea of what it will sell for on the secondary market and then figure out the math.

fel

Shiny_Rock
The trade in once it is BGD is actually quite generous. Of course, you must trade it in for another BGD diamond of higher value.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@fel, @Ibrakeforpossums - haha! That creature is my mini Holland lop rabbit! I call him a dog bun! He’s a broken tort rabbit and I can call his name and he sorta comes to me (if he’s in a good mood!) He doesn’t chew any furniture, doesn’t make a sound, loves being petted and is an indoor /outdoor pet (he does not get run of the household however!). He can make soft sounds though and thumps if he doesn’t like his food or wanting to be carried!
-C4C
PS. He’s sleeping in this head on shot!

fel

Shiny_Rock
@Crazie4Cuts He sounds adorable. I love bunnies -- had one briefly when I was 7 ( a wild baby ) and I still think of him sometimes. What can be better than having a bunny that cries when it wants to be carried? I have a bantam chicken like that -- she makes velociraptor sounds until I pick her up. cheeto.jpg

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
I would go ahead and pay the $1K so you can trade it for something you like

Since you got this ring I am assuming for nothing due to inheriting it, you really haven’t spent that much considering you now have a very well cut diamond 1.2ct for $1600 thus far.

Just my 2 cents

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not read all the posts, however, how about re-purposing the stones into something else that you could wear?

Like a bangle bracelet or a pendant with the main round stone, and a small band or stud earrings with the Marquise stones?

That's what I did with my mum's 1.94ct MRB as I had no intention of wearing it as a ring, so I re-purposed it into a bangle bracelet and I love it!

DK :))

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Consider reaching out to Abemore or WP Diamonds. They may give you a price you’d be happy with…. They reply rather quickly. At least then, you have more options to consider

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I think that there may be people willing to buy this stone and have it recut now that they know it's possibile for it to become an ags triple zero.. I guess it really depends on how much you want to make on the sale of the stone at this point, especially if you have decided you have bad feelings about it.. I think it would make the perfect pendant!! I think it's a very desirable size (heehee for me, anyway.. ) I think it's very hard for people to make offers.. you don't want to offend or insult, so I think coming up with a price for it is a better idea.. just my opinion :) I also think setting another stone in the setting is a great idea!! Good luck!

edited to say I just realized you already had this cut!! sorry I wasn't paying attention..I wouldn't bother to make it a brian gavin cut.. I would either just sell it or trade up.. I don't "branding" it would be worth it, I think the ags 000 is enough..

Last edited:

fel

Shiny_Rock
So if I do the trade in the idea would be to get a Brian Gavin Signature Cushion or a Quadex, preferably from the Blue collection since I love fluorescence. They don't have what I am looking for now so I would need to wait and hope they get it in. If I can find someone to give me $$ for the diamond without trade-in constraints I can get an OEC, antique cushion, or AVC. I wrote to Abe More and Distinctive gems to see what they say.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results