shape
carat
color
clarity

Indicolite, Paraiba, Cuprian...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Do all of these terms refer to the same color/type of tourmaline? And is there copper in all of them? Is copper a big deal?

Sorry if these seem like incredibly amateur questions...I''ve just seen so many stones that look similar with so many different names!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 1:17:01 AM
Author:szh07
Do all of these terms refer to the same color/type of tourmaline? And is there copper in all of them? Is copper a big deal?

Sorry if these seem like incredibly amateur questions...I''ve just seen so many stones that look similar with so many different names!
No apologies necessary. We''re all here to learn.

Indicolite is blue tourmaline. Not all indicolites have copper in them.

Cuprians are tourmalines with copper in them. Some are blue, which would make them indicolite as well, and some are not blue (green, pink, etc. . . .).

Paraiba is a trade name associated with a very neon form of cuprian turquoise blue or blue/green tourmaline that was first discovered in Paraiba, Brazil. There is some question as to what can and cannot be called a Paraiba, so the term still is used quite loosely.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t really add to TL''s post other than to show you some "typical" photos of each type. You can see the differences and similarities.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much TL and LovingDiamonds! It all makes much more sense now and the comparison pictures are really helpful too. I''ve been reading about gemstones on Modern Jeweler''s site link, which has been really helpful but didn''t quite answer my question.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That is the perfect question for TL
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
1. Indicolite is a blue tourmaline. Some have a closed C axis (dark ends) and some have an open blue colour.
2. A Paraiba is a neon blue, blue green, green, green blue tourmaline that GLOWS and contains copper
3. A cuprite/cuprain is a blue, blue green, green, green blue tourmaline that contains copper but doesn’t necessarily glow. I have also seen purple cuprians.

LD,
The pictures are great. It really showcases the neon glow of the paraibas.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - I''ve also seen copper bearing "Paraiba" tourmalines that are neon but are purple. They''re rare but are soooooooooo gorgeous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2009 12:50:39 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Chrono - I've also seen copper bearing 'Paraiba' tourmalines that are neon but are purple. They're rare but are soooooooooo gorgeous!
Ah yes, I've also seen the neon-y purple copper bearing tourmalines on .....oh, I can't recall the name of that online place now. Dang it!
29.gif
I think he also called them paraiba tourmalines. I think it's that place in MA.

ETA
I had a brain fart.
emembarrassed.gif
I saw some on All That Glitters.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most paraibas are a deep purple or greyish violet color before heating them to neon turquoise blue. These purple ones are pretty rare because most of them get heated. I have a violet cuprian myself that I have refrained from heating due to the rarity of that color in tourmaline, let alone cuprian tourmaline.

I have a before and after pictures of a couple of Mozambique cuprians that Gene heated to a neon turquoise. The before pictures are that of a purple and violet stone. The after result is quite remarkable, and I recall Gene indicating that the violet one turned into the most neon Mozambique stone he had ever seen. The stone belongs to a PS''er named "Widget" and there''s a picture of it at the top of his jewelry page. She also has pictures of it in PS somewhere.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 4:15:48 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 7/27/2009 12:50:39 PM

Author: LovingDiamonds

Chrono - I''ve also seen copper bearing ''Paraiba'' tourmalines that are neon but are purple. They''re rare but are soooooooooo gorgeous!

Ah yes, I''ve also seen the neon-y purple copper bearing tourmalines on .....oh, I can''t recall the name of that online place now. Dang it!
29.gif
I think he also called them paraiba tourmalines. I think it''s that place in MA.

ETA

I had a brain fart.
emembarrassed.gif
I saw some on All That Glitters.

What is All That Glitters?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
atggems.com

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not even close to being a top Mozambique Paraiba out there but it is sufficient to show the before colour.

ChronoMozBefore.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene works his magic in the oven and viola!

ChronoMozAfter.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another before example of a stone long sold but also cut by Gene.

Genebeforeheat.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the oven works again.

Geneafterheat.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s mine. I wonder what color it would heat to. Gene had told me it would heat to blue, but neon blue??? I don''t know.

TLvioletcuprian.JPG

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 11:06:43 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s mine. I wonder what color it would heat to. Gene had told me it would heat to blue, but neon blue??? I don''t know.

TLvioletcuprian.JPG

TL, is the photo an accurate representation of the colour and is it a stone you have bought for the colour because you love the colour as it is or what it might be? It certainly looks so much more interesting a colour than the colours of the other pre-treated stones posted earlier. Thanks Chrono for posting those pics, it''s really interesting to see the before and after. I didn''t know this is how the Paraiba colour is achieved so I''m kind of disappointed - OK I''m naive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost all paraibas today are heated to get this neon eye popping colour. However, many of the paraibas from the original Brazilian mine were not heated. They came out of the ground looking vivid and neon. They also came in many different shades of blue, green and turquoise. However, after a short period of time, these great looking paraibas trickled down to nothing and the rest had to be heated to achieve this look.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I didn''t know that there were naturals in that neon color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 5:27:22 AM
Author: klewis

Date: 7/28/2009 11:06:43 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

TL, is the photo an accurate representation of the colour and is it a stone you have bought for the colour because you love the colour as it is or what it might be? It certainly looks so much more interesting a colour than the colours of the other pre-treated stones posted earlier. Thanks Chrono for posting those pics, it''s really interesting to see the before and after. I didn''t know this is how the Paraiba colour is achieved so I''m kind of disappointed - OK I''m naive.
Yes, it''s the most accurate photo representation of the color I have because my old camera kept making it look too blue. It''s a violet color, even though the GIT memo states "Purple Tourmaline." It does have a grey modifier in it though, but from what I hear, the violet grey stones turn blue when heated. I have another purple cuprian, but it''s more of a straight purple.

This stone reminds me of a medium to medium-light toned tanzanite in color. Very rare to find this color for sale. Yes, I wanted this for the color and the fact it was a cuprian, because it''s so rare. I won it on auction on ebay and there were almost 40 bidders. It was one of my luckiest ebay finds. It''s 6 carats and very clean, except for an inclusion in the corner.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 8:07:11 AM
Author: szh07
Oh wow! I didn''t know that there were naturals in that neon color.
The original Brazilian find in natural color are worthy of museums and more expensive than you would care to know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klewis,
I thought you might be interested in this pic. Here''s a far away picture of the violet cuprian next to a box with two Afghani tourmalines and a minty cuprian. Can you spot the cuprian on the left? There''s also a little orange spessartite in the box as well. Photo taken in indirect sunlight.

TLsomecuprians.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Great post chrono..awesome before and after pics...
1.gif

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2009 9:13:16 AM
No.

1. Indicolite is a blue tourmaline. Some have a closed C axis (dark ends) and some have an open blue colour.

2. A Paraiba is a neon blue, blue green, green, green blue tourmaline that GLOWS and contains copper

3. A cuprite/cuprain is a blue, blue green, green, green blue tourmaline that contains copper but doesn’t necessarily glow. I have also seen purple cuprians.

To clarify:

Cuprite is a different gem species entirely--not a tourmaline. Cuprite is a copper bearing (generally red) gem with a very high RI and an almost metallic luster--low hardness though--rarely used in jewelry--a collector gem.

Cuprite Info

Cuprian is a term often used to describe copper bearing tourmaline from Nigeria and Mozambique--where it has been found in an array of vivid colors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 11:03:21 AM
Author: coatimundi

No.

To clarify:

Cuprite is a different gem species entirely--not a tourmaline. Cuprite is a copper bearing (generally red) gem with a very high RI and an almost metallic luster--low hardness though--rarely used in jewelry--a collector gem.

Cuprite Info

Cuprian is a term often used to describe copper bearing tourmaline from Nigeria and Mozambique--where it has been found in an array of vivid colors.

I knew I''d get in trouble for being lazy and not coming back to correct it.
9.gif

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/29/2009 12:12:44 PM

I knew I''d get in trouble for being lazy and not coming back to correct it.
9.gif

9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 11:03:21 AM
Author: coatimundi

No.

To clarify:

Cuprite Info

I have a cuprite as well!!
9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-getting-a-cuprite-yay.105073/

It''s funny because I often hear people confuse the two gems, they sound so much alike. Well at least we know both contain copper.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Yes, I remember your cuprite. The name sounds so similar to a cuprian yet the two are very different in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results