shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m getting a cuprite - yay!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this stone by a USA facetor on ebay. He facets extremely rare material, and I got the stone for very little. I cannot wait to get it. I've been wanting a cuprite in my collection for years. It's 5.54 carats, and one small inclusion (they're often heavily included) in a very interesting seven sided cut. They have amazing refractive abilities, similar to sphalerite, and they have a metallic luster. It's too soft for jewelry, but I just want it to look at. You can't see the luster here, but imagine a crystal, that when light hits the facets, the shine on the facet looks like a grey metal. It's so fascinating.

Here's another one on ebay from lembeckgems, but it's smaller and more than three times the price. It is VS however.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110327805945

5caratcuprite.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, I've been eyeing that cuprite at Lembecks but wasn't sure if I wanted something that costs $$ just sitting in my collection. I hope this one works out well for you, TL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the price he was asking for this one, I couldn't resist. I almost bought the Lembeck one, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm pretty excited. I know how you feel though, I would have a hard time paying $$$$$$$ just to have it sit around. However, I have been dying to get a cuprite for ages, and all the ones I see are small and pretty badly cut. You have to be a very expert cutter to cut these stones due to their softness and cleavage. You rarely ever see them on ebay in their pure crystal gemmy form as well.

It's really amazing to me that many crystals with these high RI's are a component of metallic ore, like sphalerite. Curprite is nothing more than copper and oxygen in it's elemental form. It will probably be dark unless highly illuminated, but the thing I like is when light hits the facets, the facet turns to a hematite luster. You really can't see that well in the above photo though.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait for you to get it. I''m so interested in how it looks in RL.
36.gif
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2009 9:00:04 AM
Author: mochi
I can''t wait for you to get it. I''m so interested in how it looks in RL.
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks Mochi,
I will post pictures, but my camera stinks, so they might not be the best.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Just send the stone to me, I''ll take a few pictures!!
27.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I can''t wait to see pics of your gorgeous crysoberyl!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the hijack but I too am curious to see your chrysoberyl. The colour looks very good; if it turns out well, maybe I''ll give Gene a heads up to cut another one for me.
11.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! It is gorgeous. I can''t wait to see your photos of it.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Battery is charging as we speak. Should be here anytime now!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of cuprite, but I love the color nonetheless! Can''t wait to see more pics! I''m curious to see the silvery sparkles.

I learn something new from the Colored Stone forum everyday.
5.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous in the pictures, such a pretty color! I am excited for your pictures!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow TL that''s soo pretty! I can''t wait to see more pics!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got my cuprite today, and it is a really fascinating stone. When you turn it in different positions, the facets facing a light source look like they''re clad in armour. It''s a dark stone, and it has red flashes when it''s illuminated. Here''s the first pic.

When no light is hitting the facets, you see red flash, and it looks like a pyrope garnet.

curite_head_on.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Nice... Love the shape/cut.

TL, did you get a new camera?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a picture of the hematite luster, which is really difficult to photograph. In person, the shine on this stone looks like grey metal.

hematite_luster.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2009 10:10:34 PM
Author: mochi
Nice... Love the shape/cut.

TL, did you get a new camera?
No, I tried using night mode with my macro for the first time, are the shots better? Thanks, the cutting is superb. It's not the brightest stone in the world, and suffers from a ton of extinction, but I already knew that. These are highly collectible because they're super rare and because of the luster. It's basically crystallized copper. Fascinating stone. It does have sparkle, like tiny embers of fire in there. He really did an awesome job cutting it. This was from facetorjay on ebay. He also wrote me this note that came with it. He even had a picture of the crystal formation of copper on the note - tetrahexahedrol. Try saying that ten times fast!!

I've found that only round or triangular cuts work well with cuprite - this stone has seven sides in order to divide the reflections of each facet, and does return a decent amount of direct light.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, she is a beauty!!! I love the reddish purple color. You''re right, I do see the unique armor-like shine. They remind me of sparkly armadillo scales. What are you going to do with this unique stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2009 11:08:52 PM
Author: platinumrock
TL, she is a beauty!!! I love the reddish purple color. You're right, I do see the unique armor-like shine. They remind me of sparkly armadillo scales. What are you going to do with this unique stone?
PR, you are so sweet, thank you.

I will keep it in a box forever so I can admire it from afar. Unfortunatley, this stone is too soft to use in jewelry. It does look exactly like a rhodolite garnet I have except the rhodolite is not as extinct, and has no metallic luster.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more pic which I hope captures the unique luster on this stone.

hematite_luster2.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 11:21:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I see a silvery/grayish sheen on the table. Is this what you were referring to?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 12:21:18 AM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 1/24/2009 11:21:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I see a silvery/grayish sheen on the table. Is this what you were referring to?
Yes, but it''s a lot more evident in person. It reminds me of an object that''s clad in metal.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Very cool stone and I love the way it is cut. It sounds like the cutter had a special liking for the stone too :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 11:56:19 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Very cool stone and I love the way it is cut. It sounds like the cutter had a special liking for the stone too :)
He specializes in very rare stones, and it is expertly cut. You really have to know what you''re doing to cut and polish a soft stone like a cuprite. I''m looking forward to purchasing more from him in the future. He has some really nice material. It''s not super cheap. You''re not going to win a stone for .99 (ha!!), but I like his honesty and I think I got an awesome price on this stone. It''s 5 carats and the one Lembeck was selling was about a carat smaller, and Lembeck wanted over three times as much. The clarity is superb and the shine and polish are excellent. I think one of the things many people overlook in a finely cut stone is polish, and it''s even more evident on a stone like this.

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
During daytime with diffused light coming through my blinds, there are so many very red firey embers coming out of this stone. It is really lively during the day as you tilt it and turn it. Unfortunatley, again, my camera lacks the ability to show the true redness and fire coming from the stone. Here it is as I tilt it toward the window. At the same time, you see gun metal grey shine off some of the facets. All the previous shots were taken in a dim room at night.

fireyembers.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty TL! What a beautiful rich color - I really wish I could see it IRL - I bet it would be incredible!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That metal sheen is fascinating! I have to agree...colored gems are way way harder to photograph than diamonds.

Congrats on your latest acquisition!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone. You have a wonderful collection.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results