shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of an Asscher...with a time constraint!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 8:56:04 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Date: 10/16/2006 8:54:26 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Now all he needs is that gorgeous setting that Gypsy found at Joe Escabar. Let''s see if we can transfer that pic over here.
here it is:
je%20visit%201006%20d.jpg
Um ... YES I think that you should seriously consider that 1.7ish from GOG ... NO I don''t think the JE setting *works* with that stone.
2.gif

IMO a 1.76ish ct Asscher doesn''t need to be "plumped" up ... especially depending on his intended''s finger/hand size. The setting will be hard to fit with a w-band. And I don''t think it''s particularly "classic" ... an acquired taste for a specific girl ... NOT a safe bet for an e-ring setting chosen by fella.

That''s just MY opinion though! I think a Ritini micro pave solitaire could be gorgeous and offer subtle shimmer that wouldn''t out Bling the step-cut Asscher center PLUS would fit with a matching w-band easy peasy... or, if there''s time, a Leon Mege setting ... or a Michael B ...???

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Ditto! That setting is also soooooooo unique. I haven''t seen one like it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear what you are saying deco, although I do love Gypsy's ring a wedding band won't sit flush. Here's the Michael B, it sure would be Stunning with that GOG asscher
30.gif

ETA; this setting comes in many different version one side pave, no pave on the head etc...

42P13.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like the MB for a large asscher, but I like the JE one to enhance the size of smaller ones.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 9:20:06 PM
I would like the MB for a large asscher, but I like the JE one to enhance the size of smaller ones.
It''s all perspective isn''t it!
3.gif
1.76 seems HUGE to me! I also think "halo" is a style that''s not ideal as a suprise. It''s a real love it or hate it kind of deal. Unless he KNOWS his lady LOVES halos ... I''d go simpler, especially if she''s an "Asscher girl".

I''ll mention again the idea of a temp setting ... & letting her choose the final e-ring/wedding band!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 9:26:11 PM
Author: decodelighted

I''ll mention again the idea of a temp setting ... & letting her choose the final e-ring/wedding band!

yes, this is always a great option unless he''s 100% sure of what she wants.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that "my" setting would be a great choice in a time crunch IF you want a halo/frame. If you don''t want a halo (and you don''t really need one) I definitely agree with the Ritani suggestions and if you going to GOG... they carry Richard Landi who offers some STUNNING, quality, settings.

What I really suggest is getting your diamond. Then going setting shopping. See if the place you buy your diamond from can get you a CZ in the same aproximate size... then you can take that shopping with you so you don''t have to drag the $$ diamond everywhere and you''ll still get a good idea of the look. Firenze in DC has nice settings BTW.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2006 9:26:11 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 10/16/2006 9:20:06 PM
It''s all perspective isn''t it!
3.gif
1.76 seems HUGE to me! I also think ''halo'' is a style that''s not ideal as a suprise. It''s a real love it or hate it kind of deal. Unless he KNOWS his lady LOVES halos ... I''d go simpler, especially if she''s an ''Asscher girl''.

True...I am totally NOT into surprise jewelry for myself!!! I do think a temp setting would be a good idea esp. since time is short.
(I''d like to have Gypsy''s setting for a RHR!!!
9.gif
)

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I personally absolutley love halo''s on all diamonds, big, small, round, emerald, asscher, cushion and others. However, I do agree that it is personal taste. d_b said himself that he liked the pave look and I think that it was a great recomendation to have him look into working with leon. I''m sure that together they would come up with something she would love, original, classic, and unique. The temp setting isn''t a bad idea at all however, I wouldn''t want to part with that diamond for a second! The only other thing I thought of is asking her family and friends what she is into regarding the setting or perhaps he already knows. I''m so excited to see how this turns out!
36.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I second the idea of having the diamond put into a temp setting, and letting her choose how the style of the ring will look. Some of the designer settings I have seen will eat up alot of that budget. There are so many settings that are similar to each other, and working thru GOG or Whiteflash, they may be able to guide you in the right direction. You are lucky to live in NY where you have so much available to you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2006 10:49:16 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/17/2006 10:16:01 AM
Author: emeraldlover1
just another idea...I love the look of this setting that mytal designed for qqq with the pink diamonds....to die for....
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-royal-setting.41288/page-2
That would be pretty, but pricey....
Ellen, from my conversations with Maytal, she probably charges a good bit less than the Michael B he is considering. I'd use her in a heartbeat if I ever get a pave ring.

I just think it's getting late to do a custom project with anyone before the holidays unless he makes the contact immediately.

d_b

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Its been a super hectic day at work, so I haven''t had much of a chance to reply to all your posts. First off, thank you for everything. I put a hold on the diamond at gog and will travel up and check it out this weekend. I''m definitely looking forward to it! Any tips for me???

Next up: the setting!

I am completely torn here. I want to propose with everything in order, I want the ring to be a special present from me...but I want her to be happy with the result, and sometimes I have a hard time trusting my artistic judgement. Ladies, what do I do? I really like suggestions you have come up with..including Michael B and Leon Mege, but would it be wise for me to just keep it simple and let her decide?

From what I can deduce, she loves pave and the antique look! And she has no idea about any of this :)

This one is for storm: Should I keep looking for another diamond, or be happy with what I have found?

Thanks again everyone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 1:49:11 PM
Author: d_b
Hi everyone,

Its been a super hectic day at work, so I haven''t had much of a chance to reply to all your posts. First off, thank you for everything. I put a hold on the diamond at gog and will travel up and check it out this weekend. I''m definitely looking forward to it! Any tips for me???

Next up: the setting!

I am completely torn here. I want to propose with everything in order, I want the ring to be a special present from me...but I want her to be happy with the result, and sometimes I have a hard time trusting my artistic judgement. Ladies, what do I do? I really like suggestions you have come up with..including Michael B and Leon Mege, but would it be wise for me to just keep it simple and let her decide?

From what I can deduce, she loves pave and the antique look! And she has no idea about any of this :)

This one is for storm: Should I keep looking for another diamond, or be happy with what I have found?

Thanks again everyone!
db, you are in the enviable position of actully getting to go there. Sometimes your eyes are the best with fancies. I''d ask Jon to see all Asschers in your range, it cannot hurt.

As for the setting, if you sorta know what she likes, and she''s not super picky, you could go ahead and get something permanent made. Could you ask the help of her mom or sister maybe?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 8:06:41 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 10/16/2006 7:26:03 PM
Author: d_b
is it strm worthy? that''s what i want to know :)
yep
one of the best iv ''seen''

Nice even patterns.
Lemmie just remind you what Stmdr said *already* & assure you that his praise doesn''t go much higher. I''d say this is Stmdr on "eleven".
3.gif
Spinal Tap anyone?

But it''s GREAT that you can go in person & check it out before deciding. I''d guess its probably the best in that range (price/size) you''d see in NY right now ... NOT in a high priced Daniel K setting. I know it''ll be hard to pull the trigger -- not knowing *exactly* what the competition is ... and *not* having seen a lot of Asschers in person ... but if you think it''s beautiful, I''d do it. We see a lot of Asscher pix around here & I swear, that is a really really good one. Top Ten ever seen on here ... maybe top five! Maybe even top three! And you''re competing against some 5 ct monsters, vintage asschers, etc etc...

The setting ... Asschers, IMO, look best when the setting isn''t TOO blingy. More shimmery or antiquey (beaded, filagree, carved, milgrain etc). Contrasted against shiny metal or big round brilliant shared prong settings ... they can be overshadowed ...because their beauty is more subtle, clean, minimalist. Leon would know what to do. GOG may have some ideas for you. If you''re sure of antique & pave ... pick a simple version of that & I bet it does the trick!

36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to what Deco said. GOG carries Richard Landi and some other antique designs and since you''re going there, you can see some in person. That would be an easier route than custom because you can see what it is going to look like. And GOG does have a connection to Leon if you decide to go custom, too.

d_b

Rough_Rock
Hi All...

Just so I have a similar rock to compare this one too, Tim over at GOG said he will bring in one more from his cutter. Which one should it be???
D T girdle pol sym flor ratio cutlet
1.51 E VS2 72 61 STK-TK VG VG N 1.05 N
1.69 F VS1 69 61 VTK EX EX MB 1.01 MB
1.64 F VS1 69 60 TK N 1
1.54 F VS1 68.1 60 TK-VTK
1.53 F VS2 66.5 61 TK EX EX
1.51 G VVS2 68.9 63 VTK 1.02
1.56 G VS1 68.1 60 TK 1
1.76 G VS2 68.2 62 TK-VTK EX EX 1.01
1.74 G VS2 68.7 60 VTK 1
1.5 G VS2 66.7 65 TN-VTK G 1.05
1.65 G SI1 68.7 60 TK EX 1.01
1.55 G SI2 67.2 59 STK-TK VG G 1
1.53 H VS1 68.4 60 MD-STK VG VG SB 1.01 SB

If there is a gap in data, look up to the last rating, it is the same...

I guess without pics it really is a toss up...but your best guesses are definitely welcome....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like ...

Date: 10/17/2006 2:57:17 PM
1.69 F VS1 69 61 VTK EX EX MB 1.01
1.76 G VS2 68.2 62 TK-VTK EX EX 1.01
1.53 H VS1 68.4 60 MD-STK VG VG SB 1.01

But if I had to pick ONE to compare ... WAIT ... it''s a trick question .. the 1.76 G is in this list!!!

Either the 1.69 or the 1.53 would be a good comparison. I''d guess there''s a huge price difference ... as the 1.69 is an "F" and the 1.53 is an "H" ... I do so love my H vg/vg ...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like this one because of the shallower depth and 61 table. And I like even girdles.

I wouls ask him for a little more info though namely, MM size of the respective diamonds. I like deco's choices but VTK girdles bug me (the 1.69 F)... especially with a deeper diamond. You loose too much spread.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 3:28:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
I like this one because of the shallower depth and 61 table. And I like even girdles.

Gypsy has good points ... I''d agree that this would be a good one to use as the comparison stone.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
That is no doubt a very fine asscher! Lucky ducks.

Here''s the rub with asschers...it can be an insanely lovely specimen, but there are many variations on asschers...windmill size, severity of cut corners....and then the basic groups of asschers you have probably seen here mentioned on PS by Storm and others...bright drop, etc. People tend to have a favorite.

So the stone you have on hold is a gorgeous example of one type of asscher. If it will be set with prongs at the corners like mine, then I personally prefer more exaggerated cut corners. This enables you to maintain the stop sign shape, which quickly disappears under prongs and leaves you with a more princess like square if you aren''t careful. With halos, it does not matter as much....the halo will follow the corners and highlight the cut corners well.

Just for an example, I''ll post a pic of a different looking GOG asscher that has more deeply cut corners...it is a .7 ct I asscher...just an example so you can see the variance.

None of this is to say that your stone on hold is not the one for you! I just wanted to bring up that these tricky asschers make us WORK to find the right stone, and the right stone for the right setting! I thought it might help you when you are looking at different asschers in the GOG office and are wondering how they differ...why they behave differently, etc.

Good luck! I hope it is the one!

asschercorners.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Its funny I almost picked the 1.76 again. But if I had to choose it would probably be the 1.69 F VS1 69 61 VTK EX EX MB 1.01 MB

After thinking about it if you aren''t able to do a custom setting in the time allowed and you want it to be special then I would probably consider a temp setting as suggested before. Then maybe the both of you could work on the setting together. This is not the time to make a quick decision because it is something she will have for the rest of her life. This is a large investment and you should feel 100% about any setting that you choose. Does that make sense? Although the custom designers that have been suggested I''m sure will know exactly what to do with that beautiful diamond.

I agree with what waller said with prongs and the four corners. I have asscher cut earings and the prongs are on the four corners so the diamonds look more like square emeralds. One thing that halo''s do well is highlight the shape of the diamond. Leon does an amazing job with halo''s in micro pave. Whatever you decide to do, that asscher is amazing from the pictures we have seen and I''m sure what ever the setting is it will be just fabulous. Your girlfriend is going to be so surprised!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 4:42:45 PM
Its funny I almost picked the 1.76 again.
I think it speaks volumes that we all keep being drawn to THAT stone!
3.gif
I would have picked it as the comparison stone if I hadn''t realized it was already the #1 choice just accidently in that list again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2006 4:42:45 PM
Its funny I almost picked the 1.76 again. But if I had to choose it would probably be the 1.69 F VS1 69 61 VTK EX EX MB 1.01 MB

After thinking about it if you aren''t able to do a custom setting in the time allowed and you want it to be special then I would probably consider a temp setting as suggested before. Then maybe the both of you could work on the setting together. This is not the time to make a quick decision because it is something she will have for the rest of her life. This is a large investment and you should feel 100% about any setting that you choose. Does that make sense? Although the custom designers that have been suggested I''m sure will know exactly what to do with that beautiful diamond.

I agree with what waller said with prongs and the four corners. I have asscher cut earings and the prongs are on the four corners so the diamonds look more like square emeralds. One thing that halo''s do well is highlight the shape of the diamond. Leon does an amazing job with halo''s in micro pave. Whatever you decide to do, that asscher is amazing from the pictures we have seen and I''m sure what ever the setting is it will be just fabulous. Your girlfriend is going to be so surprised!
Yeah, and someday you can tell her you had about 20 women diamond fanatics helping you decide! Lol! I wish I could be there to see those asschers!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might find one as good with different patterns that speaks to you more but for that pattern thats as good as it gets.

I will check back in on this thread tomorrow...
lots going on right now.....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.53 H VS1 68.4 60 MD-STK VG VG SB 1.01 SB
That one looks interesting enough to call in if you need to save some $ I love SB fluorescence in asschers.
Id check to see who cut it and if its from one of the top cutters it might be worth a look if you need to save some $.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I was just on Whiteflashes web site and they have an asscher that is a 1.76 g vs1 listed for about $1000 cheaper than the one at GOG. The stats look very similar but of course there are no pics. Then I found this one: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=123891 Does anyone have any idea why a G VVS1 would be listed at $16,000? Maybe I''ve looked at too many of these latley but I can''t figure it out.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing to add, just wanted to send good thoughts for seeing the stone this weekend, and I''ll be watching this thread w/ GREAT interest!
30.gif

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
je%20visit%201006%20d.jpg

30.gif

I''m in loooooveeeeeeee....
that asscher is
30.gif
beautiful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results