shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of an Asscher...with a time constraint!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

d_b

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have spent the last five hours reading this site and its definitely helped me out far more than any salesperson in a store has thus far. I am planning on proposing at the end of December so I have a pretty serious time constraint that I am hoping to stay within. So I have decided that I am looking for an Assher cut diamond. Including the setting, I would like to stay between 10,000-18,000. I know this is a wide, but if I see the right diamond, I really want to have room to work with. As for setting, Machael B and Daniel K pave style really stands out to me..so I have that down. Now, its the search for the diamond that has me confused.

I live in New York City, so there are a million stores and the diamond disctrict to explore. The whole thing makes me nervous as I read more and more on these forums how easy it is to get run over by a shady dealer or sold a stone at premium because its in a name brand store or a blue box. I want to make my purchase as simple as possible and feal totally comfartable with it. Currently I am laening towards white flash or one of the prominent internet sites mentioned throughout these forums. My Mom and Sister have put a little doubt in my mind though. They insist in seeing before buying and not getting caught up in what might look like a deal, but turn out to be a nightmare. They are also concerned with the ring being serviced by a store that will be around for a long time.

Anyhow, I am looking for some advice from all of you. Should I trust the internet sales guys? Is getting all of this done before New Years even a possibility? IS 1.25-1.50 carat Asscher even a possibility in my price range. How long do you think it will take me to find the right rock? Should I utilize the diamond district? Large retail stores in New York?

Please help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re in NY, this place is a must see. He has provided stunning Asschers for a few on here, and is a very reputable vendor. I have personally bought from them, and they are great to work with.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2006 6:46:18 PM
Author: Ellen
If you''re in NY, this place is a must see. He has provided stunning Asschers for a few on here, and is a very reputable vendor. I have personally bought from them, and they are great to work with.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

I second Goodoldgold...

:)

Brilliant_Rock
As long as you buy from a reputable vendor you will be okay, not to mention save a ton of cash. As Ellen mentioned, Good Old Gold is absolutely a must check out if you live in NY - their website alone is extremely educational and I know they are very invested in quality. You could go there to look at any stones you were interested in, or have them bring in some for you. Make an appointment if you want to go there so that they can take some time to educate you.

Engagement Rings Direct is also right there - I have heard he can offer a wide selection b/c he can run across the street to look at a lot of the stones in the diamond district (on the upper floors where the regular consumers are not allowed to go!) - I am not familiar if he has a storefront or not for you to go look at them in person, but you may be able to arrange something.

As for budget - I think the settings by the designers you are interested in tend to run high, so just check out the price first so you can lower your diamond budget accordingly. Since you live in NY, Leon Mege may be able to design an incredible setting for you if you want to go the custom route. artofplatinum.com

To check out what you can get, use the pricescope your diamond function at the top of the page to see what you can find in your carat range. Alternatively you can use the price comparision function under the prices section at the top of the page.

ETA: I see MrsSalvo was also posting when I was! I do agree that Good Old Gold is hands down my first choice

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
For settings, I agree, definitely check out Leon Mege...ArtofPlatinum. you might also want to look at Pearlmans Jewelers. they carry Michael B and a ton of other designers and might have exactly what you are looking for.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I third GOG, I bought my asscher from them. It''s an hour from NYC.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also bought a diamond from Good Old Gold and they get my highest recommendation. Just make an appointment and plan to spend some time there. If they know what you''re looking for, they can try to get some in before you come.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege settings are gorgous but I don''t know if you would get one in time. I would also check out GOG.

d_b

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your responses thus far. I am definitely going to take a look into leon mege settings and have enquired at three different online diamond retailers, including gog.

I have read a little more about asschers and it seems that they appear smaller than their counterparty the round. That''s not a worry for me, because I really like the cut, but will it be worth it if I am getting a rock in the 1.5 to 1.8 area? Will those amazing deep asscher steps show? What do you think?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
d_b,

hopefully the vendors you contacted will be able to have something for you. I''d suggest bringing the pics and idealscope images they provide for you here, along with all the specs. This will allow some of our asscher experts (consumers here who really know asschers like decodelighted, gypsy, kaleigh, and storm) to weigh in and give you their opinions. Most will recommend also seeing them in person because they are such a unique and special shape the numbers alone don''t tell the whole story.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind when you buy a Daniel K ring they supply the diamond. You cannot use your own although they can pick one out for you from their selection that matches your specs and budget. They are expensive.

d_b

Rough_Rock
Hmm, thanks for the head''s up re: Daniel K. Do you think the diamonds they sell are worth the price? Or is it better to go with someone online such as gog...?

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
d_b - I think size wise you are going to be fine. My asscher is 1.57 carats and you can really see the pattern and the steps and the awesomeness of the cut in it.

The key is getting a good asscher...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there!

Sorry I haven''t weighed in earlier (just gettin back from gettin hitched!). First of all -- you have a VERY NICE budget!
1.gif
I''m SURE you can get a stunning, sizeable Asscher in a gorgeous setting!

I''m of two minds on your situation ... I know that my fiance & I were able to find a 1.5 ct Asscher that I love in a semi-custom platinum setting for the low end of your price range. But that was over a year ago & prices have gone up. Also -- I picked a non-Ideal cut Asscher ... slightly large table, not exactly square. It''s also higher clarity that some would say is the best value (VVS1). It''s *PERFECT* and more than IDEAL in my eyes, and I like the overall value & size & that it fit the established budget range.

HOWEVER ... since your budget extends to 18K for the "right" stone/setting ... I''d be tempted to see what PEARLMANS has in stock of Daniel K Asschers. And if any were in "striking distance" budget-wise. There''s something AMAZING about those setting & stones ... and for someone who is on a time-crunch, without a lot of background or interest in diamonds ... it''s kind of a shortcut to excellence. You pay for the shortcut ... but you end up (IMO) with something outrageously gorgeous without all the homework/custom design progress/possibility of being dissapointed/2nd guessing the stone''s cut etc etc.

If our budget had been 18K ... that''s probably what I would have HOPED to do. Though I can''t imagine being happier with ANY ring than the one I have ... Does that make sense?

GOOD LUCK ... I''ll try to keep track of this thread as it develops!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 7:04:26 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
GOG has http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2508/ this one listed on their web site. Its a little bit bigger than you are looking for but still in the price range. Has some nice pictures too.
WOW! That one DOES look nice! Maybe you could set that in a plain WG solitaire and let her help design a Leon Mege special around it *after* the proposal.... though, she probably wouldn''t want to part with that puppy anytime soon!
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pix of the 1.76 asscher from GOG. Ex/Ex. G VS2. Table 62% Depth 68%. NICE!

176asschergog.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow! I think I just may need one of those!!!
30.gif

d_b

Rough_Rock
wow that is beautiful! on the outer end of my price range, but definitely there! but is it strm worthy? that''s what i want to know :)

thanks so much for helping me out with this!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 7:26:03 PM
Author: d_b
wow that is beautiful! on the outer end of my price range, but definitely there! but is it strm worthy? that''s what i want to know :)

thanks so much for helping me out with this!
yep
one of the best iv "seen"
Nice even patterns.

*Storm goes back to lurking*

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
It looks like you may have found your diamond in a day! I wouldn''t hesitate too much if this is the one. An asscher this nice is hard to find. Some people on this site can testify that finding the right asscher can take a long time. Good luck and keep up updated.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! strm''s alive and you got a thumbs up!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about asschers, but it sure looks lovely in the picture. G/VS2 should be a good value for the $ to appear super white and clean.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 7:15:29 PM
Author: decodelighted
Here''s a pix of the 1.76 asscher from GOG. Ex/Ex. G VS2. Table 62% Depth 68%. NICE!
That is drop dead gorgeous, YUMMO!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now all he needs is that gorgeous setting that Gypsy found at Joe Escabar. Let''s see if we can transfer that pic over here.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 8:54:26 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Now all he needs is that gorgeous setting that Gypsy found at Joe Escabar. Let''s see if we can transfer that pic over here.

here it is:

je%20visit%201006%20d.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are FAST, Mrs S!!!!

joeescobarsetting2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly, this is one of the prettiest rings I have ever seen. I am not sure of the price on this, though. I like it because it is different than a typical halo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and one bit of advice d_b, put that diamond on hold pronto if you are really interested in it. There are lots of lurkers on here reading diamond recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results