shape
carat
color
clarity

Imitation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 2:35:05 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 1/8/2009 2:24:08 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

I''m kind of surprised this thread hasn''t been locked yet. Usually upon the point of any drama it gets shut down, but maybe this is theraputic?

I really think it''s kind of gotten out of hand. SG did NOT sketch, design, and copyright her ring, therefore PT is within her rights to do as she likes. JUST LIKE ANYBODY ELSE THAT DRAWS INSPIRATION FROM AN UNCOPYRIGHTED RING. Now, it''s probably best to at least make sure it isn''t copyrighted before you move forward, but PT DID THAT - by using the same people to create her ring.

I think this applies outside of the SG/PT situation, too. Find out of it''s copyrighted. If it isn''t, do what you please. If it IS, do not.

And Karl, I don''t think anybody here is saying otherwise.
Point of correction. Singlestone did not creat SG''s ring. SG found it at an antique store, completely whole. It is reputed to be from the 1920''s, and I don''t think that anyone has done any copyright searches on it... althouhg I can''t say what SG (or anyone) may or may not have done with any degree of certainty.

I wish we could have left this thread closed at Kaleigh''s last post.

And Karl, to my knowledge and recollection, Alj is correct. And if I may advise, as a friend? Let it die.

I thought I read somewhere (in PTs thread, I think) that they made it, now that I look at that thread I see that she said the jeweler only KNEW SG. My apologies.

But I agree about wishing the thread had closed already - it just seems to be fueling the fire with every page.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m kind of surprised this thread hasn''t been locked yet. Usually upon the point of any drama it gets shut down, but maybe this is theraputic?
I hope it doesn''t. I think this is a very thoughtful and intelligent debate. I haven''t seen drama in this post at all. What I see are people explaining their POVs and having others debate with them. Except for the few references to SG/PT issue, this thread has remained general as it was intended.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 2:43:23 PM
Author: fieryred33143

I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. Usually upon the point of any drama it gets shut down, but maybe this is theraputic?

I hope it doesn't. I think this is a very thoughtful and intelligent debate. I haven't seen drama in this post at all. What I see are people explaining their POVs and having others debate with them. Except for the few references to SG/PT issue, this thread has remained general as it was intended.

I agree with Fiery. I'm actually learning quite a bit (about copyright infringement and Harriet's...talents, among other things).
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. Usually upon the point of any drama it gets shut down, but maybe this is theraputic?
I hope it doesn't. I think this is a very thoughtful and intelligent debate. I haven't seen drama in this post at all. What I see are people explaining their POVs and having others debate with them. Except for the few references to SG/PT issue, this thread has remained general as it was intended.
I do think this is a pertinent pricescope discussion. If one is going to post her ring and let it stay for years and pages and pages of glowing raves, only to pull it once she realizes that people loved it enough to copy it, it definitely serves as food for thought about how people go about PS in general regarding their own jewelry.

I mean, at any given time on PS, there are THOUSANDS (not hundreds) of lurkers on Pricescope. They're not here to collect cute emoticons or ponder Dancing Fire's deep questions. They're here to get knowledge on diamonds and ideas on settings.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 2:47:39 PM
Author: EBree

I hope it doesn''t. I think this is a very thoughtful and intelligent debate. I haven''t seen drama in this post at all. What I see are people explaining their POVs and having others debate with them. Except for the few references to SG/PT issue, this thread has remained general as it was intended.

I agree with Fiery. I''m actually learning quite a bit (about copyright infringement and Harriet''s...talents, among other things).
9.gif

LOL ok, I agree with that. It''s always interesting to learn what Harriet is doing now
2.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 1:04:53 PM
Author: 777_LDY
Date: 1/8/2009 12:57:47 PM

Author: Ellen

Date: 1/8/2009 12:42:46 PM

Author: steph72276

Date: 1/8/2009 12:38:05 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 12:17:59 PM

Author: Harriet

I just saw the video. ELLEN! Someone who's met me, please tell everyone that that's not me. Argh!!!!!!!!!!
eyebrowraise.gif

Don't worry. I didn't believe it....someone with your taste in jewelry could NOT be that woman!! Hahaha!
But, did you see the halo on the left ring finger?? Harriet has a halo ring too....
hmmm.gif

9.gif
Just razzin ya Harriet!
2.gif
(and I never meant to imply it was you to begin with)

OMGness, I would never believe in a million years that would be YOU, Harriet!!!!!! You have waaaay better taste in jewelery!
2.gif

But you must admit... it sure was funny!!
9.gif

ETA: Um Steph, you might want to watch it again! I am pretty sure that wasn't really a woman!!!! I hope!
32.gif
Hahahahaha
9.gif
Wasn't sure the proper way to refer to him/her

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I have been thinking about this post and situation for a while and the whole thing makes me sad. I am not going to cast stones about how anyone should feel about this because it is not my place. How you feel is how you feel period.

I feel sad that there are two members feeling badly though. I don''t like the thought of anyone looking at their ring and having negative feelings about it. Both rings are gorgeous.

I wanted to say that the two rings feel very different to me. I actually pulled up the pictures of both last night. Naturally I can see where the inspiration was drawn from but I would never mistake one for the other. They both have the same components but still feel vastly different and individual to me.

Think about faces- eyes nose and mouth. The same elements over and over feel very different on different people.

As to the rings, the proportions feel different and each diamond has its own unique character and personality. Old diamonds are known for their charm and individuality and these are no exception. Surfgirl''s setting is an old setting and that has a different feel to me as well.

In addition all these diamonds have been through their individual histories and have their own meanings and sentiments attached to them.

I continue to see Surfgirls ring as every bit as special and unique as I always did.

I will always think about this style ring as the Surfgirl ring. Think about Jackie O sunglasses, or the Kelly Bag, or a Marilyn Dress. Having something worthy of emulation does not put you in bad company.

I think parrot tulips meant no harm. Didn''t she in fact do a thread long ago checking with the PS community about the very subject of imitation? Many on that old thread felt that in the land of PS it was a high compliment.

I have a soft spot for Surfgirl. She has always been so helpful and welcoming to us. She is smart witty and funny. I really hope she stays.

Mrs.2Artists

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 1:21:20 PM
Author: onedrop
Date: 1/7/2009 7:26:48 PM
Author: musey
here are the things of mine that have been 'imitated' through PS in the past year:

-2 people have gotten a ring with the same setting as my e-ring made, and cited me as their 'inspiration'
-5 (yes FIVE) people have bought the same wedding necklace that I got, after I posted about my arduous journey to find it (none of them would have seen it if not for me) and my deep love for its uniqueness (yes, it did bother me that that went somewhat out the window, but that's the nature of consumerism)
-and-
-3 people have cited my wedding band as their inspiration to get a thin bezel band

Only one (yup) out of those 10 PSers ever said 'thanks musey!' for inspiring their pieces.
Musey: Once you posted your wedding band, I knew I'd finally found what I was looking for! Sorry if I stole your idea, but you can see from my avatar that I went ahead with the Tiffany Jazz band. I'd tried numerous bands myself and just couldn't decide, but once I tried the Jazz...that was it for me! So here is another 'thank you' for posting your wedding band!! Although I would stop short of saying that I am 'imitating' you, I was definitely inspired!
OD, I don't think I actually knew that you were considering or had gotten one! (So that makes 4
3.gif
) You must have missed my later post (it was too late to edit so I replied to myself):

Date: 1/7/2009 8:24:09 PM
Date: 1/7/2009 7:26:48 PM
here are the things of mine that have been 'imitated' through PS in the past year:

-2 people have gotten a ring with the same setting as my e-ring made, and cited me as their 'inspiration'
-5 (yes FIVE) people have bought the same wedding necklace that I got, after I posted about my arduous journey to find it (none of them would have seen it if not for me) and my deep love for its uniqueness (yes, it did bother me that that went somewhat out the window, but that's the nature of consumerism)
-and-
-3 people have cited my wedding band as their inspiration to get a thin bezel band

Only one (yup) out of those 10 PSers ever said 'thanks musey!' for inspiring their pieces.
OH, and not a one of them 'asked first' as fiery suggested seemed to be the norm. There also was no courtesy 'sorry I copied you' from any of them, if I remember correctly. And yet I wasn't really bothered by any of that... so it seems to me that this has little to do with how the copier handles the copy-ee.
My point in posting all that is that plenty of people on here have gotten similar or exactly the same pieces that I have, and even cited me as the origination of their idea to get it (whether that's imitation or inspiration is a pretty gray area), but it hasn't bothered me.

It was in response to the idea that it would have been "better" if PT/Ari had asked first (and the suggestion that most people do ask first). I don't think it would have. It seems to me that the offense, in this situation, was just that someone wanted the same piece to begin with, and the fact that it was followed through with just added insult to injury (in the perspective of the person being imitated). Not simply the fact that there was now something similar/the same out there, or that they hadn't asked "permission."

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 2:50:56 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I do think this is a pertinent pricescope discussion. If one is going to post her ring and let it stay for years and pages and pages of glowing raves, only to pull it once she realizes that people loved it enough to copy it, it definitely serves as food for thought about how people go about PS in general regarding their own jewelry.

I mean, at any given time on PS, there are THOUSANDS (not hundreds) of lurkers on Pricescope. They''re not here to collect cute emoticons or ponder Dancing Fire''s deep questions. They''re here to get knowledge on diamonds and ideas on settings.

Yup, and also, does SG know for a fact that her ring is original? I''m sure this has been asked, but it could easily be a replica made in the 1950s--I''ve seen many old rings that aren''t really...old. I''ve also viewed scores of antique rings, and sorry--the design is one I''ve seen before. But it doesn''t matter anyway, because she did not design the ring.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 3:15:39 PM
Author: coatimundi
Date: 1/8/2009 2:50:56 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I mean, at any given time on PS, there are THOUSANDS (not hundreds) of lurkers on Pricescope. They''re not here to collect cute emoticons or ponder Dancing Fire''s deep questions. They''re here to get knowledge on diamonds and ideas on settings.
Yup, and also, does SG know for a fact that her ring is original? I''m sure this has been asked, but it could easily be a replica made in the 1950s--I''ve seen many old rings that aren''t really...old. I''ve also viewed scores of antique rings, and sorry--the design is one I''ve seen before. But it doesn''t matter anyway, because she did not design the ring.
Ditto both TGal and Coati here.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gald to be of amusement. Grr.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Yup, I totally agree this is a pertinent PS discussion. It''s been interesting to learn that folks feel so strongly when their rings are copied. Plus who knew that people actually get copyrights of rings that they have had designed? I never thought one way or the other about it, but I am intrigued with all of this new information and I am impressed with those that have actually taken that extra step in protecting their work, especially since I work in intellectucal property arena. So for those reasons I hope this thread is not locked.

Musey: my wedding band search was a silent one...at least on PS, so you would have no way of knowing what I was considering. Still...I am really happy that you shared your search and end result with all of use because it indirectly helped me. In fact, I like you, I was going back and forth between having a custom bezel style eternity band made vs. going Tiffany. So again, your search helped me a lot. And I am happy to learn that you aren''t bothered by those of us who were "inspired." You have great taste!!
2.gif

Is the bar closed for the day? It''s time for happy hour!!!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 4:21:37 PM
Author: onedrop
Yup, I totally agree this is a pertinent PS discussion. It''s been interesting to learn that folks feel so strongly when their rings are copied. Plus who knew that people actually get copyrights of rings that they have had designed? I never thought one way or the other about it, but I am intrigued with all of this new information and I am impressed with those that have actually taken that extra step in protecting their work, especially since I work in intellectucal property arena. So for those reasons I hope this thread is not locked.

Musey: my wedding band search was a silent one...at least on PS, so you would have no way of knowing what I was considering. Still...I am really happy that you shared your search and end result with all of use because it indirectly helped me. In fact, I like you, I was going back and forth between having a custom bezel style eternity band made vs. going Tiffany. So again, your search helped me a lot. And I am happy to learn that you aren''t bothered by those of us who were ''inspired.'' You have great taste!!
2.gif

Is the bar closed for the day? It''s time for happy hour!!!
Ditto. I think this has been one of the best conversations I''ve seen on here in a while. I''m glad it wasn''t locked as it really does strike at the heart of Pricescope.

I am someone who is seriously grateful to those women who have posted pics from their weddings, their jewellery, their houses etc. on here. Many of the things I had at my wedding (even my font!) were inspired by past brides.

Heck - I was inspired so much by Gingerbcookie''s wedding dress that I bought it! And she has even come on and helped me decide how to bustle it and what veil to wear. Don''t tell me a wedding dress isn''t personal :) I know it isn''t right on point, but I just wanted to say that I am thankful to those of you who graciously ''give back'' to the wedding/jewellery community because you have definitely helped girls like me.

Also - as I''m thinking here - funny how rings are ''imitated'', designs ''inspired'' and purchases ''enabled''. Ha.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
I was fighting the urge to post in this thread but I have to come and clear up a few things.

SG has not looked at these threads and I don''t blame her considering what I''ve seen from some posts.

I want to say bravo to those posters who were sensitive and empathetic enough to realize that there are TWO members whose feeling may have been hurt. One member who has been very helpful for several years and a real asset to the community especially when it comes to old cuts. I don''t know Parrot Tulips so I don''t know if her feelings were hurt or not and I will not presume either way.

I think those who have posted with certain assumptions need to take a step back and not just jump on a mob bandwagon. One thing I have seen happens on PS sometimes and which is not pretty ladies and gentlemen, is how easily one''s contributions to a site can be so easily disregarded and people can turn on you. It''s become a witch hunt and there are quite a few instigators who should be frankly ashamed of their behavior.

Harriet started this thread to talk about imitation and not about what happened with PT and SG. And she mentioned a few times that this should not be about SG or PT but some people still make it about SG in particular.

And sorry to say this Allison, I am very appalled by your posts because as a representative of a company that advertises in this forum, I don''t think some of your posts are appropriate. It is not for you to say if someone should or should not feel a certain way or how they should or should not act. I understand you talking about copyright or infringement issues related to jewelery but I really think that given the job title that is in your tagline, it is not appropriate for you to give your opinion on this. Talk about how you would feel but not how others should.

What I''d like to point out:
---------------------------

1) Parrot Tulip posted in RT and NOT SMTR. I am sure that posting in PT lent to much of the reason why the thread turned the way it did. I am in no way saying that PT brought this upon herself, I am just stating this as a fact.

2) Nowhere in Parrot Tulip''s post did it mention that this is an engagement ring or that she was just proposed to. So some of the responses to her post were perhaps made with the idea that this was just a RHR ring for PT. Again, I am in no way saying that PT brought this upon herself, I am just stating this as a fact.

3) There is a difference between being inspired by a ring and making an EXACT copy. The issue here was with EXACT copying SG''s ring and not that the ring was inspired by SG''s ring. Let''s be clear here, PT''s ring is an EXACT copy of SG''s ring and not an inspiration ring.

4) And PT did not take her pictures to any old jeweler. She happened to take her request to a jeweler who has seen SG''s ring in person and was very familiar with it (not that PT knew this at the time). Also to a jeweler who SG had a pretty good relationship with. Therefore, said jeweler was able to make an EXACT copy of SG''s ENGAGEMENT RING. PT even mentions this in her post :

"as Ari already knew the original owner and ring quite well"

I think this is quite different than someone taking pictures to some jeweler who is only going on the pictures to replicate the ring. Maybe you wouldn''t care but some people may feel like they were hit by a bus to have this information offhandedly mentioned to them and then to see it in their community forum.

5) Even though SG''s ring was not commissioned by her, it is an antique ring and not a Tiffany ring where you can get it anywhere. No it is probably not the only one out there but it is probably very very unique. Some people like antiques for the fact that they are unique. And more often than not they probably had to do alot of searching to find this special ring. So this adds to the equation as to how you would react to an EXACT copy being made of your ring.

The last thing I want to leave you with is this is not a cut and dry situation and that SG has every right to feel whatever she feels. You may not feel like you would feel the same way but I frankly don''t think SG knew she would feel the way she did until it happened. Lessons have been learned. I would hope that some courtesy could be given to her, some empathy and holding of judgment when not all of the info is known by you and when she obviously doesn''t want to discuss this here herself. I would hope that all of the help she has given others would count for something and not end this way.

Like Pandora, I''ve said my piece.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 5:11:41 PM
Author: ringster
I was fighting the urge to post in this thread but I have to come and clear up a few things.

SG has not looked at these threads and I don't blame her considering what I've seen from some posts.

Ringster, I like and respect you, but... another person carrying tales of SG is the last thing this or any thread needs when she has not come on here herself. I lose more and more respect for SG (and yes, to an extent her 'representatives' whether 'authorized' representatives or not) with each one of these posts. Clearly if she is venting, she is not asking her friends to stop carrying tales, and yes... that is what an adult would do.

As to Allison's limits or boundaries. Those are determined by her employer and her agreement with this site. Personally, I don't think she's exceeded the scope of her authority. But again, not my decision to make. At all.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
ringster, I''ve got nothing against SG. I doubt anyone here does. She''s actually always been one of my favorite posters. Just because most posters don''t agree with how she reacted to this situation doesn''t make this thread a witch hunt. And I also really don''t see the point of you and Pandora coming here, speaking for her, and then running away because you''ve "said your piece."

In fact, knowing how no-nonsense SG''s always seemed here, I was extra shocked that she a.) cared and b.) actually sent a representative to tell the entire board that "just so everyone knows," she was "extremely upset" in parrot tulip''s super excited thread. And I really doubt anything would have been handled differently if the thread had been in SMTR and not RT, but it''s all speculation at this point.

I wish SG nothing but the best, and I wish she would remain an active member of this board. Speaking of which, didn''t you say you were never posting here again?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the bar open again? I am ready for round two!
25.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

SG has not looked at these threads and I don't blame her considering what I've seen from some posts.

I want to say bravo to those posters who were sensitive and empathetic enough to realize that there are TWO members whose feeling may have been hurt. One member who has been very helpful for several years and a real asset to the community especially when it comes to old cuts. I don't know Parrot Tulips so I don't know if her feelings were hurt or not and I will not presume either way.

I think those who have posted with certain assumptions need to take a step back and not just jump on a mob bandwagon. One thing I have seen happens on PS sometimes and which is not pretty ladies and gentlemen, is how easily one's contributions to a site can be so easily disregarded and people can turn on you. It's become a witch hunt and there are quite a few instigators who should be frankly ashamed of their behavior.

Harriet started this thread to talk about imitation and not about what happened with PT and SG. And she mentioned a few times that this should not be about SG or PT but some people still make it about SG in particular.

And sorry to say this Allison, I am very appalled by your posts because as a representative of a company that advertises in this forum, I don't think some of your posts are appropriate. It is not for you to say if someone should or should not feel a certain way or how they should or should not act. I understand you talking about copyright or infringement issues related to jewelery but I really think that given the job title that is in your tagline, it is not appropriate for you to give your opinion on this. Talk about how you would feel but not how others should.

What I'd like to point out:
---------------------------

1) Parrot Tulip posted in RT and NOT SMTR. I am sure that posting in PT lent to much of the reason why the thread turned the way it did. I am in no way saying that PT brought this upon herself, I am just stating this as a fact.

2) Nowhere in Parrot Tulip's post did it mention that this is an engagement ring or that she was just proposed to. So some of the responses to her post were perhaps made with the idea that this was just a RHR ring for PT. Again, I am in no way saying that PT brought this upon herself, I am just stating this as a fact.

3) There is a difference between being inspired by a ring and making an EXACT copy. The issue here was with EXACT copying SG's ring and not that the ring was inspired by SG's ring. Let's be clear here, PT's ring is an EXACT copy of SG's ring and not an inspiration ring.

4) And PT did not take her pictures to any old jeweler. She happened to take her request to a jeweler who has seen SG's ring in person and was very familiar with it (not that PT knew this at the time). Also to a jeweler who SG had a pretty good relationship with. Therefore, said jeweler was able to make an EXACT copy of SG's ENGAGEMENT RING. PT even mentions this in her post :

'as Ari already knew the original owner and ring quite well'

I think this is quite different than someone taking pictures to some jeweler who is only going on the pictures to replicate the ring. Maybe you wouldn't care but some people may feel like they were hit by a bus to have this information offhandedly mentioned to them and then to see it in their community forum.

5) Even though SG's ring was not commissioned by her, it is an antique ring and not a Tiffany ring where you can get it anywhere. No it is probably not the only one out there but it is probably very very unique. Some people like antiques for the fact that they are unique. And more often than not they probably had to do alot of searching to find this special ring. So this adds to the equation as to how you would react to an EXACT copy being made of your ring.

The last thing I want to leave you with is this is not a cut and dry situation and that SG has every right to feel whatever she feels. You may not feel like you would feel the same way but I frankly don't think SG knew she would feel the way she did until it happened. Lessons have been learned. I would hope that some courtesy could be given to her, some empathy and holding of judgment when not all of the info is known by you and when she obviously doesn't want to discuss this here herself. I would hope that all of the help she has given others would count for something and not end this way.

Like Pandora, I've said my piece.
Ringster, first of all, I do commend you for saying what you feel. I know you know SG personally, and I would imagine are more sympathetic to her.

Yes, this thread was started to talk about imitation. But it was a direct spin off from PT's thread, which, whether condoned by SG or not, was hijacked to let SG's feelings of being "extremely upset" be known. This entire thread would not have started this week if the issue hadn't come up about SG's reaction. I'm sorry, but while I feel people should be civil about it (and I think they largely have), I think discussing it within the context of what happened is fair game.

There is mob mentality, for sure, in any forum. But I think every individual here who expressed shock (or whatever) was truly dismayed that A), PT's thread was crashed, and B) Surfgirl's SMTR thread was pulled. I don't think that is a "witch hunt." To express that it was petty, unbelievable, haughty, whatever is a valid opinion on what was actually DONE.

SG's feelings are valid on the matter. I do feel for her. But WHY is she so upset? Is it because she really thought she had a unique piece and wanted to be the only one with it? Is it because she feels betrayed by SS? You know what? We don't know because she is not speaking up, and whether it is fair or not, people are going to speculate.

And to your other points, who cares if it's an engagement ring or RHR that PT created? I really don't think it matters. It's something she wants and had created. And "exact" copy? Exact means EXACT, and anyone can see that the ring does not look EXACTLY like SG's. Proportions are different. SG's ring is still completely and obviously SG's ring. And even if it was exact, who is to say another one does not exist out there already?

As to your point number 5 - ringster, that comes down purely to ego in my book. It's the belief that you hold something "very very unique" and the only way it can stay that way is if no one you know has it, or you don't ever witness anything else like it. Do you honestly believe that PT is the first to emulate that ring? SG's ring has been posted for some time. There are thousands of lurkers. Did SG post to share or did she post to boast? It would be very naive to post your ring on a public forum (which SG has pointed out a few times to a few LIWs) and not think that someone else is going to copy it, and quite possibly EXACTLY copy it!

Ringster, if she doesn't want to discuss it, she has every right. But as to things "ending this way", well then...she has chosen to pull her thread and not come back and share her feelings. By not writing the ending herself, it invites others to draw conclusions on their own. And that's not being unfair...it's being quite normal.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last thing I want to leave you with is this is not a cut and dry situation and that SG has every right to feel whatever she feels. You may not feel like you would feel the same way but I frankly don''t think SG knew she would feel the way she did until it happened. Lessons have been learned. I would hope that some courtesy could be given to her, some empathy and holding of judgment when not all of the info is known by you and when she obviously doesn''t want to discuss this here herself. I would hope that all of the help she has given others would count for something and not end this way.
This I can see and understand.

However, I cannot comprehend bringing up anyone''s disapproval/sadness/anger/feelings of betrayal in someone''s brag thread. I don''t care what forum she posted it in, it was very clear what the point of that thread was: to show off a ring (engagement or otherwise) that the poster was happy and excited about. That thread does not fall under the "if you ask for honesty, we''ll give you honesty" policy that most PSers seem to very rightly abide by.

Yes, surfgirl has every right to feel anything she wants on the subject, and it was not her (obviously) that publicly spoke ill of PT''s choice to have a copy made, so my issue there is not with surfgirl. It matters not to me how people react to such a thing, but it certainly matters to me how that reaction is conveyed to an unsuspecting poster. What''s done is done, and if anything surfgirl''s feelings should be conveyed to Ari/Singlestone in an unofficial manner. Not to PT, not in an open forum, and certainly not by people other than surfgirl.

... in my humble opinion.

So, for the record, I have no issue with SG here, really, unless she''s asking people to post this stuff on her behalf (which seems quite unlikely). I do take issue with anyone who brought up and pursued this subject within PT''s brag thread.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto TGal and musey. I also keep thinking that it seems like Ari/SS is really who surfgirl is probably mad at.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 3:08:15 AM
Sorry if this is poor form, but SG''s ring can still be seen toward the end of this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wedding-sets-any-2mm-e-rings-with-3mm-wedding-bands.84538/

A few people were saying they wished they could still see it, so that''s why I posted the link. If my posting it is inappropriate or offensive in any way please report it so it can be removed.

Thanks.
35.gif
Nevermind, it has been removed - just an FYI for anyone who clicks and doesn''t see it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 5:41:56 PM
Author: thing2of2
Ditto TGal and musey. I also keep thinking that it seems like Ari/SS is really who surfgirl is probably mad at.
That's kind of what I think too. Considering the fact that wasn't ringster and SG just there? I can understand being miffed if I was just there and Ari didn't say, "hey, btw, here's a ring that was inspired by yours that I am making because someone loved it so much!" Not saying he owes SG anything, but I definitely can understand the miff factor.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with Gypsy on this one here. I understand that SG is hurt by what took place but she needs to come out herself and say something. This whole "second hand bit" is getting out of hand and just adding flames to an already heated discussion. As for having a WF employee "stating" how she feels, I think she is entitled to that. It isn''t right to say that because she works for a certain place that she can''t comment on this situation. If her employer feels it isn''t her place, they will step in and say so. I have a feeling that she would be a big part of this forum regardless if she was employeed at Burger king or whiteflash. It''s unfair that she needs to hold back her personal opinions just because she works at a vendor on PS.

I am sorry that SG feels how she does about her ring being copied. There isnt'' anything she can do about it now, any more than what has already been done. Also, it IS an engagment ring that PT has, if you had followed her other threads, you can see this. It is hurtful and beyond RUDE to make any comment PEROID about her ring. Weither it was COPEID EXCATALLY OR NOT! It''s her engagment ring and it''s bringing her just as my joy as SG ring did.

ANY comments should have been kept private and only one poster would have been hurt. She could have quietly taken down her photos, shared how she felt with close friends, and hopefully gotten over it. Realzing that yes, something SIMILAR had been made to her ring, but the carat size is different, and maybe she could get some peace of mind from that. Having made a comment on her SMTR thread, EVEN IF it was in RT (I beive it was a show me the ring thread AS WELL AS a RAVE about SS which is why it was in RT on the the SMTR thread) stared an entire unnessary fire that now will continue even though it had seeminly died down a bit.

THEN if someone (like SG or you, or pandora) felt the need to start a immination thread, not very many ppl would have realzied it was realated to the "copy" of SG ring, and would have stated opinions accordingly not bringing this particular situation into account.

I am appauled and sadded by this entire situation. I love PS and I love the ladies on here. I hated every minute of HS because of this catty rude behavior, and I have to admit, I don''t have very many women friends because of this ridicular pettyness that we can get into.

PT: Love your ring, enjoy your ring because it''s YOURS and you LOVE IT.

SG: Feel angry for a while, take down your pictures, vent to your friends, have them not make anymore comments on this forum to fule the flame, and perhaps when you ready, come make comments yourself. Maybe in time you''ll realize your rings are different because of the size, and who''s wearing them. Your relationshiops are 2 different things and the rings are 2 different things. You had the joy of finding a great ring at a unique location, the entire experience makes your ring unique to you, not matter if someone has something similar or not.

PT has a ring unique to herself because she had it made and her relationshiop and size are different.

Allison: Keep up the good work. You have a right to say your piece just as everyone else does around here. Your opinion shouldn''t be excluded just because of where you work.

To those who keep fueling the flame: Let SG speak for herself. She isn''t reading the threads for a reason. She doesn''t want to, or she isn''t ready to, whatever the reason may be. These threads are now a hot mess because of unnessary comments.

Everyone else: I''m sorry this was so long. I nomally keep my mouth shut but this is sick.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Confession time:

I've always loved surf's ring, seriously LOVED, and have entertained ideas in the past of someday, in the far distant future having one made for myself.

runawayscared.gif

scared.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 3:08:48 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 1:04:53 PM
Author: 777_LDY

Date: 1/8/2009 12:57:47 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 12:42:46 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 12:38:05 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 12:17:59 PM

Author: Harriet

I just saw the video. ELLEN! Someone who''s met me, please tell everyone that that''s not me. Argh!!!!!!!!!!
eyebrowraise.gif

Don''t worry. I didn''t believe it....someone with your taste in jewelry could NOT be that woman!! Hahaha!
But, did you see the halo on the left ring finger?? Harriet has a halo ring too....
hmmm.gif

9.gif
Just razzin ya Harriet!
2.gif
(and I never meant to imply it was you to begin with)

OMGness, I would never believe in a million years that would be YOU, Harriet!!!!!! You have waaaay better taste in jewelery!
2.gif

But you must admit... it sure was funny!!
9.gif

ETA: Um Steph, you might want to watch it again! I am pretty sure that wasn''t really a woman!!!! I hope!
32.gif
Hahahahaha
9.gif
Wasn''t sure the proper way to refer to him/her
Lol, I just laughed so hard I snorted! I was trying to hold it in because I''m helping my son with his homework and now he''s laughing with me! He just asked me why we are laughing, but I really don''t think I should explain it!!! I think I''d better excuse myself!!!!!

*insert rolling on the floor laughing emoticon*

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 5:54:59 PM
Confession time:

I''ve always loved surf''s ring, seriously LOVED, and have entertained ideas of someday having one made for myself.

runawayscared.gif

scared.gif
I feel the same way. There are rings on here that I seriously absolutely love. SG''s is one of them (along with Tacori''s and yours Musey!). I cannot get enough of those photos and was sad to see she pulled all of them. What a great piece that was taken away from this board.

Ringster

Thank you for posting your opinion as a personal "IRL" friend of SurfGirl. I too feel as you feel that an inspiration ring is not the same as an "exact" copy and if I''m being 100% honest, I think I would have felt more upset than flattered as others have suggested that one should feel.

But as Tgal so intelligently put it (as she always does), without SG''s response we can only speculate and given the way the message was delivered, most of those assumptions will be negative (unfortunately).

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Confession time:

I've always loved surf's ring, seriously LOVED, and have entertained ideas in the past of someday, in the far distant future having one made for myself.

runawayscared.gif

scared.gif

count me in on the same confession
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 5:59:01 PM

Confession time:

I''ve always loved surf''s ring, seriously LOVED, and have entertained ideas of someday having one made for myself.

runawayscared.gif

scared.gif
I feel the same way. There are rings on here that I seriously absolutely love. SG''s is one of them (along with Tacori''s and yours Musey!). I cannot get enough of those photos and was sad to see she pulled all of them. What a great piece that was taken away from this board.
*Making mental note to save Coati''s ring to my hard drive*

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 5:59:22 PM
Author: Eva17

Confession time:

I''ve always loved surf''s ring, seriously LOVED, and have entertained ideas in the past of someday, in the far distant future having one made for myself.

runawayscared.gif

scared.gif

count me in on the same confession
2.gif
cough cough.. me? I would never think of doing such a thing! ok ok, I confess too! I will miss the photos
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results