shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm Looking To Buy A Diamond This Week.....Do I Know Enough?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I'm Looking To Buy A Diamond This Week.....Do I Know Eno

Diamond24|1413225067|3766507 said:
That would be a great way to ruin a surprise proposal. Hey honey...just curious...which kind of engagement ring do you want?

IMO, if it is going to be a surprise then it is even MORE important that you buy what the odds indicate she'd prefer, and that is NOT the smallest diamond for the budget.

If you can trust them to not spill the beans ask her friends and family what she'd prefer but do it in a way that doesn't let on your intention to propose.

Maybe even get one of her friends to pretend she is getting engaged and ask your fiancée to help her decide on the combination of color clarity and size.
You could even get the friend to say, "My fiancé wants to give me a D IF as a meaningful symbol, but it would be smaller" ... and see how your fiancée reacts.
She may react with, "Oh that is SOOOOO sweet." or "Hell no! Get a larger G that's eye-clean."

IOW, you'd have to tell a white lie.

On the other hand, if the surprise is that important to you and you simply must have the D IF because it is the only stone that will represent your feelings about her, and you know you are giving no consideration to the odds that she would prefer a larger stone with lower color and clarity, then just buy the D IF.
It is possible she is old fashioned and anything her man picks out will be perfect.
It is also possible that that is what you expect from your wife ... which is kind of another thread.

But DO get the best cut.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

blingbuyer|1413226386|3766520 said:
Using your paramaters above here is the only stone i saw that meets that criteria (along with having an ideal cut)

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=605405&ref=pricescope

LH of 80 will produce some pretty skinny arrows.

Also I prefer a Crown Angle more towards 34.5 degrees.

Buy a diamond with AGS0 if possible, their cut grades are more meaningful than GIAs Ex.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know how to link Blue Nile diamonds anymore, but they have a few good options. Go to the site and search the stock #'s below:

Best option:
$9,680.58 Bank Wire Price
Summary
Stock number LD04648869
Price per carat $11,296.55
Carat weight 0.87
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color D
Clarity IF
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 61.5%
Table % 55.0%
PA/CA: 40.6/34.5
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence None

Nice option
$7,600.26 Bank Wire Price
Summary
Stock number LD04977881
Price per carat $9,645
Carat weight 0.80
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color D
Clarity IF
Length/width ratio 1.01
Depth % 61.8%
Table % 57.0%
PA/CA: 41.0/34.0
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 5.96 x 5.92 x 3.67 mm

Another nice option
$8,812.80 Bank Wire Price
Summary
Stock number LD04877502
Price per carat $11,183.75
Carat weight 0.80
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color D
Clarity IF
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 61.7%
Table % 56.0%
PA/CA: 40.6/35.0
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 5.97 x 5.96 x 3.68 mm

60/60 diamond
$8,997.98 Bank Wire Price
Summary
Stock number LD03856605
Price per carat $10,622.09
Carat weight 0.86
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color D
Clarity IF
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 59.6%
Table % 60.0%
PA/CA: 41.0/33.0
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 6.20 x 6.18 x 3.69 mm

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock

**edited by moderator, please read our policies** but you should listen to some of the people on these forums before blowing your money on something to please your personal feelings, **edited** and embrace the advice.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

I predict DDS right out of the box.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyIntense|1413232425|3766580 said:

Do you mean DSS?? ...because that would be my reaction (after being underwhelmed, that is). :blackeye: :|

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I mean, let's be realistic here. The guy is talking about a .80 diamond, it's not a speck of glass. Plenty of people have diamond rings that size with much lower specs than he's looking at, there's no need to make him feel bad or size shame him. The key is he has a healthy budget and he needs to determine what his gf wants over what he wants, since she'll be the one wearing the ring. OP, I really hope you are using the guide posted to find a great cut diamond in whatever color and clarity mix you want. I hope you check in with your gf's best friend/sister/mother/whoever and see if she has any idea of her preferences. Does she have a pinterest page? That might also help.

I personally love the Good Old Stone stone previously posted and would buy that and move on with my life.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

Well cut diamonds are rarer than a D Flawless. This is a saying among those who know about diamonds.

Do you know the difference between a If and Fl?

Diamond colors are listed in order of rarity not "quality".

G color is referred to as rare white. D color- exceptional rare plus. G is still considered collector quality.

Tiffany and Company sells up to color I and SI clarity. I wonder why they are so famous? Beautifully cut diamonds perhaps?

When your lady sees her ring for the first time you should tell her that you would have bought her a ring from Tiffany's, but that they aren't very good quality. I'm sure she'll agree.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

msop04|1413232604|3766582 said:
FancyIntense|1413232425|3766580 said:

Do you mean DSS?? ...because that would be my reaction (after being underwhelmed, that is). :blackeye: :|

LOl, yes! Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome- I know it well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

liaerfbv|1413233278|3766586 said:
... he needs to determine what his gf wants over what he wants, since she'll be the one wearing the ring.

That appears to not be his values or reasoning.
It's yours; it's mine; but apparently not his.

We can present our reasoning (we have), but we can't force our values onto him, even for her sake.

It is possible that she likes him being the boss.
If so, I'll try to respect that diversity too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyIntense|1413235319|3766601 said:
Do you know the difference between a If and Fl?

Oh gosh.
Don't tell him that Internally Flawless is not the best, and that Flawless is better. :doh:
He's already going to have a hard time finding a D IF with HCA<2.0 with a good Idealscope image.

He is NOT going to find all that in a Flawless stone.

Oh, and don't tell him about type IIA diamonds, or fancy colored diamonds. :Up_to_something:
He'll never get engaged, or propose with an $8,000 0.03 ct Fancy Red diamond. ;-)

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Some people, particularly from certain Asian cultures, value high color and clarity. Nothing wrong with that at all. Stick to D IF if that's what you want. I don't think dropping down to E VVS would be as satisfying.

If you don't get a true H&A diamond, then get one as close to H&A as possible. Fact is, under normal circumstances you'd have just as much trouble telling the difference between a D vs E as you would a true H&A vs very near H&A.

Please don't sacrifice cut to get D IF... but that doesn't mean you absolutely have to get a perfect H&A diamond.

I posted 4 good options above. Unfortunately there's no Idealscope at Blue Nile, but if you buy a diamond w/ great proportions, you really reduce your risk. they have a good return policy too if anything is wonky.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

No one wants to knock you off your D FL high horse, but your misconceptions of what that means.

No one here is down on small budget stones that have to be small because of budget, but to pick something small for other reasons is hard for most women to understand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He wants a D IF and I think we need to drop the efforts to convince him otherwise, but he may have to have one custom cut because the closest I found close to his specs was the E IF from Good Old Gold. He is very unlikely to find a true hearts and arrows superideal cut through a drop shipper, so I am not going to recommend that he even consider Blue Nile and similar companies especially when they will not provide pictures or idealscope and hearts and arrows images. It may be a cultural thing for him to buy a smaller stone with high color and clarity.

If the wants "the best", he is going to have to work with Good Old Gold, WhiteFlash, High Performance Diamonds (Infinity), or Brian Gavin. They all have super ideal cutters and will provide the evidence that the stone is indeed true hearts and arrows.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyIntense|1413236802|3766611 said:
No one wants to knock you off your D FL high horse, but your misconceptions of what that means..

High horse? Ouch. Not cool.

Misconceptions?
Ouch again.
He already stated what D IF means to him.
How can you say what he feels is a misconception?
Why do we back off and offer D IF respect when "it's 'cultural'", but not for this guy?

IMO, what his gal wants (and whether she will or should have any input) is the final sticking point, which he has not addressed.
Well, he did repeat the proposal must be a surprise so perhaps that implies she gets no say, and that's that.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1413236525|3766607 said:
Oh, and don't tell him about type IIA diamonds, or fancy colored diamonds. :Up_to_something:
He'll never get engaged, or propose with an $8,000 0.03 ct Fancy Red diamond. ;-)
I was just thinking of how large of D IF type IIA diamond can one get on 8k budget. Cause there's best and then there's best

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1413237832|3766617 said:
kenny|1413236525|3766607 said:
I was just thinking of how large of D IF type IIA diamond can one get on 8k budget. Cause there's best and then there's best

Right! And if he wants the best in colorless diamonds, nothing will do except for D, flawless, Type IIA stones... :read: :wavey: 8)

Where might one go or who might one contact for such animals? :think: ;))

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

I only meant that D FL doesn't guarantee and mean most beautiful looking stone (because it's at the top) without a great cut. That was the misconception I meant.

I also meant ,that no one wants to lower his standard because it's thought to be too high, but that if beauty and quality is what he is after it can be achieved several ways. Beauty and D/FL seem to be thought of as the same thing for those who don't know.

I will go say three Hail Mary's now. :angel:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why don't you try contacting Wink from High Performance Diamonds (Crafted by Infinity) - he might be able to get something cut for you if you read a bit about their website then you will be able to get a top cut stone, a top colour and a nice clarity in whatever size you need - that is going to give you hopefully what you desire.

All of the posters have been recommending sites for you that stock what we call "Super Ideals" these are the best of the best cuts in Round Brilliants.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyIntense|1413242409|3766645 said:
I only meant that D FL doesn't guarantee and mean most beautiful looking stone (because it's at the top) without a great cut. That was the misconception I meant.

I also meant ,that no one wants to lower his standard because it's thought to be too high, but that if beauty and quality is what he is after it can be achieved several ways. Beauty and D/FL seem to be thought of as the same thing for those who don't know.

I will go say three Hail Mary's now. :angel:

Thanks FI.
Sorry if I'm getting too naggy. :(sad

Let's see what this interesting guy says.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1413242686|3766651 said:
Why don't you try contacting Wink from High Performance Diamonds (Crafted by Infinity) - he might be able to get something cut for you if you read a bit about their website then you will be able to get a top cut stone, a top colour and a nice clarity in whatever size you need - that is going to give you hopefully what you desire.

All of the posters have been recommending sites for you that stock what we call "Super Ideals" these are the best of the best cuts in Round Brilliants.

I totally agree with this. I already recommended a 1.09 D-IF CBI diamond that is currently available and know for a fact that they have delivered D-IF diamonds to other clients in the past. Wink and Paul are great to work with and will listen to your desires and requirements.

Although mine is not D-IF, they are currently cutting a custom "cut-to-order" CBI diamond for me.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

holy crap. $35K for 1.09 carats!

*happily looks at 1.7 carat, ideal cut, white G, eye-clean SI1 diamond that cost less than half that....*

DC519

Rough_Rock

I'll be honest, I'd prefer a glittery excellent cut M or N color that was bigger over a small D-IF stone. Maybe I'm one of the gaudy ones though. I feel I can sacrifice on color, especially in a round brilliant. A bigger diamond that is lower in color/clarity but well cut sings to me more than a perfect all around but smaller diamond. I wonder if I was Elizabeth Taylor type in my past life (or current life, haha)

Elizabeth Taylor was famous for letting people try on her jewelry.When Princess Margaret said that her 33-carat diamond ring was so big it was vulgar, she offered to let the princess try it on. When she did, Elizabeth said, “It’s not so vulgar now, is it?”

But at the end of the day, guess who's opinion matters the most? Your girlfriend. Not mine, not ours. Just make sure you don't over pay and make sure it's a ring she will love. Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with a surprise proposal at all. But a surprise ring that is disappointing? That will be a tough one to get over. I suggest taking her ring shopping. Seriously. You're planning on asking this woman to be YOUR WIFE. I think it speaks volumes of men who are unafraid to to make sure the ring that rests on their wife's hand is one that was selected with care and a lot of thought. And then you can go all out with surprising her with the proposal and selecting the ring of the choices she likes.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HappyNewLife|1413243807|3766667 said:
holy crap. $35K for 1.09 carats!

*happily looks at 1.7 carat, ideal cut, white G, eye-clean SI1 diamond that cost less than half that....*

That's just it, diversity as Kenny would say.

Everyone spends their money differently and everyone has different desires. It is not for us to judge how OP wants to spend his money, nor is it ok for us to impose our choices onto him. We are here to guide, and if he still wants to buy a smaller D-IF then we should try to help.

I could say the same thing about flutes. Why would anyone pay $35K for a flute (like I did) when you could buy a new one for $600.

Or cars, why buy a Lexus when you can buy a souped up Camry with all the bells and whistles for $20K less. They are built on a Camry chassis anyway.

What if OP said instead, I want SIZE baby, help me find the best 5 ct M-I1 diamond out there. Would he have gotten the same reaction that some have posted on this thread?

As to whether his girl has any input, I've read many other threads where the guy is not only picking out the diamond, but the setting too. Why did they get a different reaction than what the OP is getting here? Food for thought.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DC519 said:
I'll be honest, I'd prefer a glittery excellent cut M or N color that was bigger over a small D-IF stone. Maybe I'm one of the gaudy ones though...

Guess I'm gaudy as all Hell too, DC! LOL

dazzlebea

Rough_Rock

cflutist|1413244907|3766676 said:
What if OP said instead, I want SIZE baby, help me find the best 5 ct M-I1 diamond out there. Would he have gotten the same reaction that some have posted on this thread?

As to whether his girl has any input, I've read many other threads where the guy is not only picking out the diamond, but the setting too. Why did they get a different reaction than what the OP is getting here? Food for thought.

Maybe because he came here asking for an education about diamonds but he doesn't seem to want to hear the advice he's given?

Diamond24

Rough_Rock

Wow!! This thread is pushing 60 posts!! Thanks for all the input everyone!! After absorbing all that was said I have a much better understanding on diamonds than I had 24 hours ago. All of the knowledge really made my point of view on diamonds change a little since I now understand that the top grades don't necessarily mean the best diamonds.

For all of the people who had nasty things to say about me, misconstrue my thoughts as pretentious, & translate my preferences as unwilling to listen to advice, please go find another thread to comment on.

I've been with my girlfriend for a very long time & I know what she wants. It's not a matter of if she will say yes, it's a matter of when I decide to surprise her & pop the question. She's a very down to earth girl who likes nice things but is the opposite of flashy. Without getting too personal, she is one who is considered cognoscenti & "has but doesn't show." That said, she has nothing to prove to anyone. If I got her a .25 ring all that would matter to her is that I picked it out on my own & it's from me. For the people who look down on rings that are under 1 carat maybe you should get off your high horses. The last time we spoke about marriage she said just tie a string around my finger & I'm good.

Now that we got that out of the way, I'd like to make the purchase before this Sunday. Do my new specs change anything? If you come across any diamonds out there that fit this criteria please feel free to share. Thanks in advance!!

Shape = Round
Carat Weight = 0.85 & Better
Clarity = VVS2 & Better
Color = D
Cut = Best Possible
Culet = None
Depth = Best Possible
Fluorescence = None
Girdle = Thin, Medium, Or Slightly Thick
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
Table = Best Possible

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock

dazzlebea|1413245444|3766680 said:
cflutist|1413244907|3766676 said:

Maybe because he came here asking for an education about diamonds but he doesn't seem to want to hear the advice he's given?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Diamond24|1413247257|3766694 said:
Shape = Round
Clarity = VVS2 & Better
Color = D
Cut = Best Possible
Culet = None
Depth = Best Possible
Fluorescence = None
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
Table = Best Possible

Here are two good options, both with top-notch cuts, D color:
1.02ct, D, VVS1 (request images)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/260775/

1.00ct, D, VS2 this is the option I would choose, though I know it is lower clarity than you had mentioned
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=942

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond24|1413247257|3766694 said:
Now that we got that out of the way, I'd like to make the purchase before this Sunday. Do my new specs change anything? If you come across any diamonds out there that fit this criteria please feel free to share. Thanks in advance!!

Shape = Round
Clarity = VVS2 & Better
Color = D
Cut = Best Possible
Culet = None
Depth = Best Possible
Fluorescence = None
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
Table = Best Possible

I'm still looking but here is the first good candidate, which IMO you should put on hold immediately.
People often gobble up recommended diamonds here before the OP can.
Search for your spec range brought up 15 diamonds at this good vendor but only this one had an HCA score under 2.0 and most cost way over your stated budget of $8,000.

0.90 ct D VVS2
HCA 1.2 Ex Ex Ex VG
Polish Ex
Symmetry Ex
Fluorescence None
$8310
You have to ask this vendor for Idealscope pics.
I think they will provide them for 3 diamonds.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-346274

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results