shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm Looking To Buy A Diamond This Week.....Do I Know Enough?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I'm Looking To Buy A Diamond This Week.....Do I Know Eno

RockyRacoon|1413249053|3766708 said:
Here are two good options, both with top-notch cuts, D color:
1.02ct, D, VVS1 (request images)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/260775/

1.00ct, D, VS2 this is the option I would choose, though I know it is lower clarity than you had mentioned
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=942

He posted his budget is around $8,000, but those are $13K and 21K.

Diamond24

Rough_Rock

RockyRacoon|1413249053|3766708 said:
Diamond24|1413247257|3766694 said:
Shape = Round
Carat Weight = 0.85 & Better
Clarity = VVS2 & Better
Color = D
Cut = Best Possible
Culet = None
Depth = Best Possible
Fluorescence = None
Girdle = Thin, Medium, Or Slightly Thick
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
Table = Best Possible

Here are two good options, both with top-notch cuts, D color:
1.02ct, D, VVS1 (request images)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/260775/

1.00ct, D, VS2 this is the option I would choose, though I know it is lower clarity than you had mentioned
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=942

Those are very nice but unfortunately $20,000 is out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $8,000 or less on just the diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

liaerfbv|1413226246|3766518 said:
Diamond24|1413225067|3766507 said:
baby monster|1413214883|3766447 said:
Lots if "I like" and "I want" statements here . If this ring is for her, she should be given the choice of size vs other specs.

That would be a great way to ruin a surprise proposal. Hey honey...just curious...which kind of engagement ring do you want?

All of my "I want" statements revolved around getting her the best so if I'm doing something wrong for wanting the best let me know.

Um, yea, that's exactly what you should be asking. Getting someone the "best" means getting them exactly what they want.

Your parameters are fine, if you use the cut guide above others have given you. Getting a D-FL is fine, if that's what she values. A surprise is only a success if the receiver is as happy as the giver.

+1

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

This is getting good :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I made a booboo. :oops:

That Whiteflash Idealscope pic above belongs in the post about the only WF stone that I posted.

I put it in a post about a James Allen diamond :doh: and now it is too late to edit.
I gotta stop drinking wine while posting.
BURP.

screen_shot_2014-10-13_at_12.png

Diamond24

Rough_Rock

Thanks to all the consistent posters who are still contributing useful information. I want to personally Kenny as one of the people who has invested the most time to make sure I make the right decision. That said, I have made a final decision to go with hearts & arrows & lowered my overall parameters one last time. I noticed that there are no consistent answers for the most ideal measurements of the finer details such as: crown, depth, pavillion, table, etc. How do I tighten up those specs?

Updated Parameters
Shape = Round
Carat Weight = 0.90 or Better
Clarity = VS2 or Better
Color = D
Cut = Hearth & Arrows
Cutlet = None
Fluorescence = None
Girdle = Thin, Medium, or Slightly Thick
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent

lightquik

Rough_Rock

Hey Diamond24

Here's a guide I generally found useful for the different angle combinations. Hope it's helpful! Good luck.

Table: 53-57%
Total Depth: 60 – 61.5% (Max 62.5% for a 4% girdle)
Crown Angle (CA): 34 – 35 degrees
Pavilion Angle:
- For CA = 34, pavilion angle = 41 degrees
- For CA = 34.5, pavilion angle = 40.6 – 40.8 degrees
- For CA = 35, pavilion angle = 40.6 degrees
Lower Girdle: 75-80%
Star Length: 50-55%
Girdle: thin to medium preferred

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond24|1413289772|3766835 said:
Thanks to all the consistent posters who are still contributing useful information. I want to personally Kenny as one of the people who has invested the most time to make sure I make the right decision. That said, I have made a final decision to go with hearts & arrows & lowered my overall parameters one last time. I noticed that there are no consistent answers for the most ideal measurements of the finer details such as: crown, depth, pavillion, table, etc. How do I tighten up those specs?

Updated Parameters
Shape = Round
Carat Weight = 0.90 or Better
Clarity = VS2 or Better
Color = D
Cut = Hearth & Arrows
Cutlet = None
Fluorescence = None
Girdle = Thin, Medium, or Slightly Thick
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
How do you tighten up crown, depth, pavillion, table?
You don't.

You don't need to bother with all that.
If the HCA is 2.0 or under those four proportions will be fine.
Those 4 interact in a complex way.
If one is high, another being low will compensate.
The reason I don't like picking diamonds using ranges is you may happen to pick 4 numbers that, though in their ranges, work together in the LEAST-advangageous way.
The HCA is a brilliant math thingie that identifies rounds with 4 numbers that work together in the MOST-advantageous way.

HCA and IS is all you have to do to be assured of killer cut.
If it scores 2.0 or under get an IS image.
People with tons of experience may have developed a taste for a table with 58% or something, but those are very very fine points you can worry about when you buy your 11th ideal cut diamond.

If the IS image looks good like in that reference chart I posted the diamond is worth buying.
In particular, look for as solid red as possible (not lighter or darker under the table compared to the outer area) and arrows that are symmetrical, not wonky.

Let's look for some D VS2s.
BTW, the term hearts and arrows and Ideal are squishy terms often with different definitions to different vendors.
Again, HCA and IS will assure superb cut.
Company X will tell you their Superduper Extreme Signature H&A Blah Blah Blah is better than their competition's but I am skeptical civilians could see a difference in a double blind test.

Oh and do be aware that only 99.00124% of VS2s are eye clean.
Ensure with your vendor that yours is, and discuss what eye clean means to you and that vendor before they ship it.
I'm in my 50s and have a VS2 that's eye clean to my old eyes, even with Rx glasses, but not to some people in their 20s.

Oh, and you're welcome.
Thank you for listening to everyone.
We know our stuff here and if anyone posts anything too bogus someone else spanks them. ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are the only 3 I could find at JA for your specs and budget.
I could not find anything at GOG or WF and have to run an errand.
Others will surely post more candidates.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1413304670|3766929 said:
http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.903-d-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067041023

Niel, the OP says he wants no fluorescence, but that one has medium fluor.

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1413305510|3766944 said:
http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.903-d-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067041023

That's unfortunate since there's no negative effects on this diamond and it lowers the price considerably - not to mention BG diamonds are in the top eschelon of top-cut diamonds. OP I would greatly advocate this diamond - it would blow most diamonds out of the water. You can't go wrong with a Brian Gavin Signature or a Brian Gavin Blue. I'd take a Brian Gavin Signature G-VS2 over a same size random D-IF found on bluenile ANY day.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just wanted to post it as he has become more lax in his stats, maybe after more knowledge he will find fluor is acceptable

Diamond24

Rough_Rock

I love it!! This thread is catching fire!!

I know this is a broad question but if 2 round diamonds have extremely similar specs & are both the same price, which one would the majority say is better? One that is D/VVS2 or one that is E/IF?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1413308725|3766970 said:

I just wanted to post it as he has become more lax in his stats, maybe after more knowledge he will find fluor is acceptable

No problem.

I was just concerned he may not notice the fluor, assuming anything posted would be per his parameters, but then I also posted a diamond that was a few hundred over his budget, just in case too. :)

OP if you do look into flour, it is often desirable for lower colors since blue flour can make a J look more white if, and only if, it is viewed under light with a substantial component of ultraviolet light, such as sunlight.
Rarely fluor can give a diamond an oily or milky appearance, but I'm sure Brian Gavin screens for that since he is an excellent vendor.

Less educated people and the marketplace penalizes fluor, so they sell a bit cheaper.
About 100 years ago there was a scandal involving fluor.
Some unethical sellers were representing them as actual blue diamonds.
The government stepped in.
That gave fluor an unfair black eye that continues to this day, though it applies more to the USA than Europe.

Of course blue fluor does not, cannot, benefit the color of a D which has no yellowish tinge whatsoever.
Some people like how a diamond with blue fluor may seem go glow blue in sunlight though I had a medium blue and it looked identical to my no-fluor diamond side by side in sunlight ... I think the reflection of the blue sky overpowered the med blue fluor.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond24|1413311175|3766989 said:
I love it!! This thread is catching fire!!

I know this is a broad question but if 2 round diamonds have extremely similar specs & are both the same price, which one would the majority say is better? One that is D/VVS2 or one that is E/IF?

They'll be so close I'd say neither is better; it's just personal preference.
Does a D make you go all oogie googie? or does an IF diamond make you go all oggie googie?
There may be other things about those two diamonds that might make someone here prefer one over the other if you'd like to post links.

Personally, I prefer some minor inclusions since they can function as a fingerprint.
If you ever hand your diamond over to a pro for setting work or for cleaning you can loupe it on return and look for your inclusions to be sure they didn't swap the diamond.

A flawless diamond should have no 'fingerprints' under a 10x loupe.

A laser inscription on the girdle should suffice for ID, but in theory if someone is crooked enough to swap a diamond they may be crooked enough to copy your diamond's laser inscription onto the replacement stone ... that is if they could even gain access to such expensive machine.

Knowing your inclusions is smart ... if your diamond has any. ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond24 as you shop around only consider diamonds graded by GIA or AGS.

Other labs like EGL have soft color, clarity and cut standards. IOW, they lie.
The same diamond that EGL graded E VVS1 may get grades of H VS2 or worse from GIA and AGS.

EGL diamonds seem like a great bargain, till you learn the truth.
This is shocking, disgusting and hard to believe, but it's true.
Do some searching here about it.
Many buyers of EGL diamonds have been heartborken and pissed off when they learn the truth.

Also avoid clarity-enhanced diamonds since the treatment may not be permanent or survive the high temps required for setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results