shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m going to throw up...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m the opposite of you PQ and fortekitty. I am relieved at the first ding. Then I no longer have to worry about it! It''s broken in. Maybe that''s why I''m okay with I-1 stones. Flaws don''t bother me.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I had some chocolate and feel much better now... 8pm is way too early to go to sleep, but there''s a huge storm over S. Cali so I can''t go out!

Patty, I don''t mind flaws. I would LOVE to find an I1 that looks like either of yours... they absolutely gorgeous! What bothers me is that I put the scratch in myself, and it reminds me of my carelessness. or stupidity. And that scratch just lowered the clarity about 3 grades. That hurts.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 10:28:37 PM
Author: pqcollectibles
It seems odd that the things you obsess over seem to be the things that get damaged or destroyed.

I love that!

That is a fair analogy. The answer is to enjoy what is left of the mirror finish and take stock of your logic that on average this car will stay good as long as any other. Surely obessing about anything mearly dictates that you will find yourself wrong. What favour are you doing yourself?

I make jewellery and watch customers come and go, but I don''t get to see what they experience with my products to any level past the occassional well meaning obligatory compliment. Without my exposure to PS I would have never known how attached people can be to their diamonds and the level of enjoyment they can derive from perfection.

For me it is just standard stuff: ''Yep that diamonds makes a good avarage, yep that price will work, yep the piece is secure and yes my work is up-to standard''. ''Hey Nigel close your good eye and check this for me'' - ''The grains aren''t the same, "what"... I was worrying something else. It is amazing how glaringly awfull something might look to me when I have poured myself over a piece infanitum only to find it is a non-issue yet at the same time something I took for granted was. Same goes for you guys, eg, when writing a report you find you made a point well that you thought was terrible but missed something obvious. Your just too closely connected to the work. In writting you have to go away and leave it alone for while so that you can look at it with a fresh mind. The same is true for jewellery, but in jewellery the whole work can be seen with a glance so much more can be achieved when you have a skilled collegue to check over your work. Works for me. Off topic, well, she is dreaming of scintillating diamond facets by now
10.gif

I am pretty well divorced from any mental attachment to what I make and what you invariably love. The whole process for me ranges on what I know about doing an honest job. I work hard at second guessing my customers invariable uneducated design ideals whilst we strive to build a working relationship. I have trouble when a customer doesn''t disclose his/her expectations and hopes. I need all the information I can get. Undisclosed challenges only confuse my feeble mind. The more drama the better. Creativity is not a dry subject.

Looks like I am in the mood for long posts today.

Better sign off.

Wait was there a point?

Car - diamond, nope, I couldn''t think of anything I have owned that I didn''t forgive for being damaged. Everything wears but diamonds are the toughest thing. That is what I love about them. Worry more about your setting as is the thing that will wear away after time. You were a little stiff to have a scratch so soon. Stop looking at it and divorce yourself from the process of the diamonds wearing. You will be silently pleased each time you casually glance at your diamond and get that scintillating response.

Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations.

Still blunt - Phillip

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2005 116:47 PM
Author: Platinumsmith

I work hard at second guessing my customers invariable uneducated design ideals whilst we strive to build a working relationship. I have trouble when a customer doesn''t disclose his/her expectations and hopes. I need all the information I can get.
You asked "what was the point"... ;-)

Well, I think the citation there was just it. It''s obviously hard for anyone to make or understand detailed orders without a common technical language
7.gif
Are there any reasonable solutions ? CAD ? Anything ?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
FT, why are you against getting it polished?
1.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 11:44
6.gif
5 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
1.gif
There''s always a chance of damage on the wheel, and i really don''t trust anyone to touch it right now. Plus, it''ll drop it to below a 0.90ct.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 11
6.gif
6:47 PM
Author: Platinumsmith

Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations.

Still blunt - Phillip

Don't think my expectations are that high.

Or perhaps they are... maybe I should just buy CZs from now on. Once scratched, off to the trash!
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t do anything crazy forte....give it at least a couple of weeks before you decide anything

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 11:52:46 PM
Author: ForteKitty

Date: 1/8/2005 11:44
6.gif
5 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
1.gif
There''s always a chance of damage on the wheel, and i really don''t trust anyone to touch it right now. Plus, it''ll drop it to below a 0.90ct.
Oh--I see.
7.gif

belle''s advice is good advice--take a little time and think on it.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2005 12
6.gif
4:37 AM
Author: belle
don't do anything crazy forte....give it at least a couple of weeks before you decide anything

Good advice!! What's a major issue now may become less important (painful) with the passage of time.

And don't beat yourself up over this. You did not intend to scratch the diamond. It was an accident and accidents happen.
2.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Kitty you''ll have to live with that. Nothing you can do will avoid such occurances.

Polishing would involve unsetting and resetting the diamond, and that includes a cost added to the final re-polishing cost, not worth pursuing. Notwithstanding, you have avenues posted above which would most probably be financially viable and somehow worthwhile should you be able to ensure yourself that another misashap might not happen again. From what I know of you this may be true.

Ana, good question...

Terminology: I for my part am struggling with the appropriate norms on PS, as you may have noted (it seems unprecise). For starters they say prongs when claws is better, they say beads when grains is better - beads are specific to actual soldered on beads, they say setting when you are thinking of a ring not the actual setting. I.e. you mount a ring, but to many people here you mount a diamond and that is just crazy because you set a ring into a mounting - all unset pieces are a mount. The list goes on.

The biggest one that gets me, is the term ''setting'' to describe a whole ring. IT IS NOT A SETTING, it is a ring. This missgiving details my personal distaste for branded jewellery where someone decides to own a conventional design and give it a name, to which consumers are therefore disposed to search according to design as if it were something more then a practical application of well known jewellery norms.

The worldwide market on jewellery termoninology is far from set. In the end it is up to the bench workers around the globe moreso then the educated consumers on this US based forum, and benchies will inherit the terminology from the source or from places where best practises occur (often Europe) and I don''t think the standards are set here.

Although I think places like PS have a certain amount of pull. It is all just semantics and people working by hand hand will adopt terms that are easy to understand. They won''t adopt unprecise terms, nor new terms that conflict with old ones.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Hope you are doing OK.....I know I would be VERY upset! But the experts are giving you some very good advice....but no one can know exactly how YOU feel, and however you feel, that''s OK!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results