shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m going to throw up...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I am telling you all the truth. It had to be another diamond!!!

If you have a scratch caused by something metalic then it isn''t a scratch as metal CAN''T scratch diamond. I really really know what I am talking about. I use metal tools on diamonds each and every day, and invaribly expose diamonds to sharp tools but I have never ever scratched a diamond with metal.

There is every chance if you can''t pin-point an occurance of another diamond scratching it, it was like that when you bought it. If neither is true, then you have knocked it and exposed an undelying fault.

From what you have described, it is a scratch. We are all greatfull for that. Think of it like that new perfect car before it got it''s first scratch. You will soon get over it. You can have it cut and by the leads you have here you would do very well. Of course you would have to stipulate to the cutter that you are only willing to loose, say 1pt, for eg. If the scratch goes right across the table then you have a score line, a bit like on a pane of glass, better have it polished out, just in case.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The scratch is only about 1mm, while the whole table is about 7mm? I''m not sure how long the table is, but the length of the stone is 9.27mm, and the table is about 59%.

You really can''t see it unless you''re staring at the reflection of Table and using a loupe. I''m probably over-reacting. So you''re saying it''s impossible to scratch a diamond with anything other than another diamond? Hmmph... i guess i should let my bf out of the basement, eh?
2.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
This is probably going to sound really stupid, but have you cleaned the diamond really well and then examined it? The reason I say this is because I banged my diamond ring really hard against the doorway the other day. A few hours later I ran my fingernail across the edge of the table and felt a chipped area, I held the diamond up and looked at it and I saw it too. When I looked at it under a loupe I couldn''t really see well with the reflections but thought I saw something among the facets against the edge of the table area. I also saw that it looked a little dirty. I cleaned it really well with a toothbrush and cleaner and to my extreme relief, the chip was gone. It turned out that the chip was really something dried on the edge of the table. Just a thought and wishful thinking for you.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha

I think you are getting used to it now

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 5:39:31 PM
Author: pearcrazy
This is probably going to sound really stupid, but have you cleaned the diamond really well and then examined it? The reason I say this is because I banged my diamond ring really hard against the doorway the other day. A few hours later I ran my fingernail across the edge of the table and felt a chipped area, I held the diamond up and looked at it and I saw it too. When I looked at it under a loupe I couldn''t really see well with the reflections but thought I saw something among the facets against the edge of the table area. I also saw that it looked a little dirty. I cleaned it really well with a toothbrush and cleaner and to my extreme relief, the chip was gone. It turned out that the chip was really something dried on the edge of the table. Just a thought and wishful thinking for you.

I wish it was just something dried. I cleaned it really really well.. even steamed it... but it was still there. And it was reflecting light at a different angle than the rest of the table. It looked like the light curved in a bit then reflected out, if that makes sense.
8.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Oh,

Have you let him out yet?

It is a scratch and thats that.

I once smoked a diamond, meaning I burnt it and it went smoky. Like you I was in dissbelief. I hoped I had burnt something on it which could be removed, but no. My heart dropped and I felt like the world just ended, all the strain of a weeks hard work (the profits I lost), hit me at once and I was lethargic. Luckily the cutter was able to re-polish every facet. The stone lost 4pts and I had to get a new certificate, but in the end it was just money and something to learn from.

I hope this helps,

PS

MerKaBa

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3:12:52 PM
Author: oldminer

I don''t like to disagree, but in some cases a scratch on a diamond ''could'' act as a cleavage score line. Before lasers and diamond wheels were used for cutting rough diamonds, cutters depended solely on cleaving stones along certain crystal faces. They scratched a shallow line into the surface of the rough diamond with another sharpened diamond tool and then with a small hammer and sharp chisel edge the stone was cleaved into two parts with only a small amount of effort. The process is not much different than cutting glass by scoring it first and then snapping it to size.

If this scratch happened by accident to be along a cleavage plane edge, there ''could'' be a catastrophic event. It is not likely but only a trained cutter will know for sure....I can''t tell by looking as it takes knowledge of the crystal structure which is not something I have practiced. Don''t worry over it, but do have someone skilled in cutting, not just in taking in repair work, have a reliable look at the stone.

ForteKitty,

Sorry to hear about your stone especially since it is so new.

Dave,

While I agree that there may be cause for some concern regarding the scratch, as Mara stated, diamonds take a lot of blows over the years of day to day wear and I don''t think it is necessary to take a diamond in for review by a cutter everytime it gets a little knick, knock or scratch. Living in fear of what might be of that little thing on your finger everyday, is not a healthy way to live. Try not to make the girl sicker than she already is over it. I am sure the scratch will be fine....and if not...that is what insurance is for, right?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 8:51:29 PM
Author: MerKaBa
I am sure the scratch will be fine....and if not...that is what insurance is for, right?
Uh... that''s kiiinda the problem... i don''t have insurance for it. I''ve been so busy I never got around to it.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 6:10:38 PM
Author: crankydave
Maybe your diamond bumped into another diamond and one thing led to another....

OMG! YOUR DIAMOND IS PREGNANT!!
emdgust.gif

Have you picked out any names?

Dave

P.S. I''m sure all will work out fine BTW

PREGNANT?!? Yay!!!!! Hopefully they''ll be big babies... I''ll be a grandma!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
If this happened to me, I wouldn''t be able to eat, sleep, or function until I got to the jeweler''s.
32.gif
My heart goes out to you, Fortekitty!
8.gif

i''ll be keeping fingers & toes crossed...keep us posted!
1.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
OMG you poor thing I had a similar thig happen before I got my e-ring but luckily it was just a piece of somthing and it came off when I cleaned it. My heart is going out to you right now
emcry.gif

BTW if your diamonds has babies will any be up for adoption?
3.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 9:58:24 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
If this happened to me, I wouldn''t be able to eat, sleep, or function until I got to the jeweler''s.
32.gif
My heart goes out to you, Fortekitty!
8.gif

i''ll be keeping fingers & toes crossed...keep us posted!
1.gif
Same here.

Get it insured. NOW.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
My 1.06 round brilliant has had a scratch on the surface for at least 10 of the 12 years I''ve had it. It isn''t apparent to anyone else unless they look at it very closely. I think you have to decide if you want to have it polished out and lose a minimal amount of it''s weight or just leave it alone. I have no idea how mine got scratched, but when I had it reset last summer the jeweler "informed" me of the scratch when he first looked at it before it was reset. I had seen the scratch at least 10 years ago and didn''t think it was any problem. Apparently it hasn''t been. And it''s so easy to damage rings anyway. I hit my hands on things all the time. At least I dont'' do what my mother in law does. She cleans, using abrasive cleaners and bleach while wearing hers. I''ve tried to tell her she''ll damage the settings, but she won''t take them off all the time. I''m afraid she''ll lose her stones and I''m sure they''re scratched.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Okay.. so from the quotes I''ve been gathering from insurance companies, my premium is about $100-$150/year? does that sound right?

It doesn''t seem very worth it since the whole ring only cost me $2100.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried Jewelers Mutual? I got a quote on $13,000 of insurance. I think the premium was $163 for a year.

You can go to their website (www.jewelersmutual.com) and use the "Cost Estimator" to find out. For instance, for CT, $2100 would cost me $26/yr.

Good luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2005 11:24:44 AM
Author: ForteKitty
Okay.. so from the quotes I''ve been gathering from insurance companies, my premium is about $100-$150/year? does that sound right?

It doesn''t seem very worth it since the whole ring only cost me $2100.
i would agree, you don''t want to spend the total cost of your ring on insurance premiums.............

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I bought the ring from a private seller for $2100... the cost of the diamond alone here on PS is $5000, and the plat setting''s another $1500-$2000. it''s appraisal value is $11,000.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Appraisal value of 11k and premiums of 150-200 depending on the company sounds about right.

Keep in mind you may not want to insure it for that appraisal value...they are usually inflated and if you can replace the diamond and ring for 7k, why not just insure it for what you could actually replace it for rather than for what the inflated appraisal value is? That way if you lose it, you can replace it but that''s it...and you don''t overinflate premiums which do eat into your pocket after a few years of paying!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Ah, okay, now I exactly see your point. Well maybe it would be worth insuring for less than the appraised value. Is that possible? I mean, you could insure it for the $2100 your paid, or maybe up it to the $5000. But I agree, it is probably not worth it to insure it for $11,000 when you got a steal at $2100!! (Man, can you hook me up with some of those deals
2.gif
hehe!!)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know you got a great deal on that ring! i was the one that said, if you don''t buy it, i will!! i certainly don''t like to think that there may be something wrong with y(our
2.gif
) stone!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Bad news. It is indeed a scratch.
7.gif
39.gif

However, my jeweler said it's so slight that it wont affect normal wear. He can barely even see it. I can have it polished off and it wont lose much weight (just like I was told here
1.gif
), but I don't think I will do that.

Do you know if insurance companies will insure already scratched diamonds?

Or maybe I should just sell it. This diamond seems tainted now. I don't like damaged things.
20.gif
29.gif

My jeweler thinks I'm crazy for overreacting on such a tiny scratch... am I?
8.gif

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 9:31
6.gif
4 PM
Author: Platinumsmith
Yes
No beating around the bush there.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
But it''s damaged goods now. I know it''s damaged.

It''s like getting your brand new car keyed... even if you get it fixed, it still bugs knowing it''s been damaged. You never get over that initial pain of getting a ding or a scratch!

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
That is my point.

You can''t buy a new car everytime you get a ding.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
yeah, but one can live w/o a diamond. I''d rather be without than have a damaged one. (think my PMS is speaking for me.. i''m gonna turn in for the night)
7.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Good night, stare at your beautiful diamond before you turn in and have nice sparly diamond dreams.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
You need an appraisal that discloses it has a very slight scratch... The insurance company won''t pay for any other damage related to that scratch, but you need to disclose it...

Also if you can find the stone for $5000. on PS why not insure it for that amount?

You need to update appraisal report at least every 2 yrs.

Get a policy that pays more than the stated value, should the actual cost increase. Chubb does that..

Don''t know if JM does, but check with them.

Rockdoc

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It seems odd that the things you obsess over seem to be the things that get damaged or destroyed.

The last car I had before the one I''ve got now was like that. I obsessed over it and it got dinged, scratched, and dented. All accidentally and none of it was by me. First a softball hit and dented the hood. Then someone opened their car door into it in a parking lot, dinged it and knocked off some paint. One of the kids ran down the garage door and gouged the paint in the liftgate. You name it, it happened to that car. And it was a high polish, mirror finish, BLACK color. Which made every little knock all the more noticible.
emcry.gif
The dings were driving me crazy. I couldn''t stand it any more so I traded it. But before I traded, I decided then I was not going to worry about this car. I can''t control it anyway, so why worry. Amazingly, no dings, no scratches, no gouges, zip. This car is fine. Boggles my mind.

You can,............Count your blessings for having found such and incredible deal on a fabulous ring and look at the latest "addition" to the stone as part of it''s character.
emteeth.gif
Or,.......... sell the ring. You can PM me anytime!!
emwink.gif
HeeHee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results