shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m going to throw up...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I put a scratch in my new diamond!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

No, I''m not mistaken, nor am I exaggerating. It''s right on the tip of the table of my Marquise diamond. I thought it was a smear or water spot at first, so i kept scrubbing it... and then i realized it was reflecting light in another direction. Just like something would when the surface is not smooth. I took out my loupe, and sure enough, it''s a scratch. Slightly deeper on one end, shallower and tapering off on the other end.

The whole thing is about 1mm long, but I can''t feel it with my nail so it''s not too deep. I''m gonna take it to my jeweler on satuday, but before I go, I was hoping to get some question answered...

1) It might have accidently made contact with another diamond, but the chances are slim to none... how did this happen?

2) Instead of a scratch, is it possible that it could be a cleavage that resulted from a sharp blow? This is a GIA graded VVS2 stone.

3) Can I polish it out? Is it even worth it? The stone is only 0.90ct., the scratch is small, and the stone was inexpensive, but IT STILL HURTS!!!

I''m sick to my stomach... I''m NEVER buying another diamond!!
7.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh Kitty!! I feel your pain!!!
7.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
OooooOOoooohhhhh!!! Wahh!!! what am I gonna do?
emcry.gif

I guess I can pretend it's not there, but it used to be a VVS2!!!!
face14.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 1:24:29 AM
Author:ForteKitty

1) It might have accidently made contact with another diamond, but the chances are slim to none... how did this happen?
Kitty, if those RBs are acting up and bullying your marquise, send them here for their punishment.
31.gif
I''ll make sure they pay for their crimes.
11.gif

All kidding aside, I''m sorry your sparklie seems scratched. Take it to a jeweler and have it it looked at. Contact one of the pros here on the forum. I''m sure there''s something that can be done if it''s not a crack per se. Don''t panic..........yet.
14.gif

Keep us posted.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
It really must have been another diamond, which scratched the table...

You can have it polished out. You won''t loose even .1pt, but it will have to be unset and reset.

I don''t have any clue as to diamond cutters in the US. Some hobbiest lapidry clubs might have a go for next to nix. It is a matter of lining the table up just right, toucccchhhhhh and there you go, all done. The depth of the scratch is all important, but I will assume it is in micons.

It shouldn''t affect the brilliance? How the reflection can change I don''t know, but I know that consumers see different things then I, but just as relevant.

I''d imagine a whole fissure would be very obvious.

Have a very close look at it and determine it is just on the surface. If there is something more, then you may the trouble of replacing it. Marquise dias'' can be funny stones.

I hope you don''t worry too much about it. Diamonds are hardy things and though you might subject your stone to more knocks and scratches it will hold for you throughout your life.

Phillip

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it doesn't turn out to be a scratch, but if it does, take it with a grain of salt. As PD noted, you will scratch your stone through it's lifetime and the first one does suck, but there will be others! Wearing these things daily does some damage and diamonds are not indestructible. Knocking the diamond against something hard, or even something like your car window can cause damage to a stone, it doesn't just have to be another diamond. My appraiser noted that after a few years of wear my diamond would most likely have some knicks around the girdle since it's in an exposed setting. When I first heard that I was horrified but now after having the ring for a few years, I realize it does take alot of wear and tear. Just look at how scratched up plain platinum gets...imagine what kind of bruising the diamond gets as well.

So hope it turns out okay, but if not, I would not lose sleep over it...think of it as a personality mark on your diamond and figure that only 1 out of every 1000 people will even see it! Or have it polished out and lose a tiny tiny bit of ctw. But if it can happen once, it may happen again.

Good luck! Oh and please don't throw up!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no Forte kitty, I feel your pain!
39.gif
I had a near scare like this sometime in 2004 too, but mine was with a crack-issue. Hope everything gets fixed asap!
5.gif

p/s: How come you have such nice smilies, issit cos u use IE to post?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3:14:30 AM
Author: tomatoe
p/s: How come you have such nice smilies, issit cos u use IE to post?
Tomatoe, I will share with you what I only recently learned myself. When composing your post, click on the little smiley face (next to the mountain icon, right below the font size button) and a little window of smilies will pop up where you can choose some cool ones.
emthup.gif
I just keep forgetting it's there.
20.gif

Here's a flower & a beer for you.
emrose.gif
embeer.gif
Cheers!
embeer.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Kmom, thanks for trying but I think cos I use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser, I dont have that option!!!
23.gif
Leonid, please, is that what I remember from the thread about forum changes?
33.gif
And thanks for your nice reply in that other thread too. I am abit better now, still surviving on zero sleep the whole night though!!
31.gif
5.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about your possible scratch. I hope everything works out and you can get it repaired.
emotion-15.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, fortekitty, i am so sorry to hear about your ring. please let us know what happens after you take it to the jewelers........

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3
6.gif
9:22 AM
Author: Platinumsmith

It shouldn''t affect the brilliance? How the reflection can change I don''t know, but I know that consumers see different things then I, but just as relevant.

Phillip
You know when you look at the table at an angle, and it reflects that bright pane of light on the table all at once? when I did that, i noticed a line. When i tilted just a teeensy bit more, the table didn''t reflect anymore, but the scratch did! It doesn''t affect the brilliance, and you can only see it with a loupe, but it still bothers me.

Phooey.
8.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
it cant be very deep--i bet someone good can polish it up --maybe not disappear but make even smaller....?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, I do feel a better. I just felt like an idiot because I managed to scratch it in less than 3 weeks... and i''ve only worn it a few times. I know it wasn''t there before because the only inclusion it has is a tiny crystal and it''s right underneath where the scratch is. There''s no way I would have missed it before. Bah. Oh well. I need to stop being so anal. It''s only a diamond, right?

Oh, and I never did throw up...
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I never did throw up...

that was close!! i almost did!!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
no you are being just as we all would...............in gagsville. Please look into having someone good take a look at it..........you may be pleasantly surprised--worse case you are in no worse a situation

Hiya, FK:

I''m so sorry that your beautiful stone was scratched. I can only imagine how upsetting this is!!!! (I woulda been sick too!)

I hope they can polish it out - it sounds like that is a real possibility. Please keep us posted!!!

Best to you, Mary

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to examine this for you at no charge. No doubt, if it needs to be re-polished, it can be accomplished by a local cutter in our area for you. Usually a scratch is a very minor repair problem. If you don't have someone to rely on in this situation, we will help you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 11:37:39 AM
Author: oldminer
Glad to examine this for you at no charge. No doubt, if it needs to be re-polished, it can be accomplished by a local cutter in our area for you. Usually a scratch is a very minor repair problem. If you don''t have someone to rely on in this situation, we will help you.
another reason you''re on top of the world!!!
awesome.......

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 11:37:39 AM
Author: oldminer
Glad to examine this for you at no charge. No doubt, if it needs to be re-polished, it can be accomplished by a local cutter in our area for you. Usually a scratch is a very minor repair problem. If you don''t have someone to rely on in this situation, we will help you.

Thanks Dave!! I''ll check with my jeweler, and hopefully he''ll be able to help me. If not, I''ll give you a call. Thanks for your awesome offer!

Dangit, I was supposed to go Philadelphia next weekend, but we decided to go to Denver at the last minute... darn non-refundable tickets!

10X

Rough_Rock
Fortekitty,

I am so sorry to hear about your stone, I know that can be disheartening.

Murph is correct, we do have an excellent in-house cutter who could polish out your scratch and make it like new. Since the scratch appears shallow there would probably be very little loss of weight. We would be happy to help you.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering.. would it be bad to leave the scratch there? it''s very shallow and you can''t see it with the naked eye, and I really dont want it to lose any weight.. it''s .90ct.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 12:23
6.gif
2 PM
Author: 10X
Fortekitty,

I am so sorry to hear about your stone, I know that can be disheartening.

Murph is correct, we do have an excellent in-house cutter who could polish out your scratch and make it like new. Since the scratch appears shallow there would probably be very little loss of weight. We would be happy to help you.

Thanks Megan!
1.gif

10X

Rough_Rock
If the scratch is faint and not very visible and doen''t bother you then I think it is fine to leave it there.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Megan:

I don''t like to disagree, but in some cases a scratch on a diamond "could" act as a cleavage score line. Before lasers and diamond wheels were used for cutting rough diamonds, cutters depended solely on cleaving stones along certain crystal faces. They scratched a shallow line into the surface of the rough diamond with another sharpened diamond tool and then with a small hammer and sharp chisel edge the stone was cleaved into two parts with only a small amount of effort. The process is not much different than cutting glass by scoring it first and then snapping it to size.

If this scratch happened by accident to be along a cleavage plane edge, there "could" be a catastrophic event. It is not likely but only a trained cutter will know for sure....I can''t tell by looking as it takes knowledge of the crystal structure which is not something I have practiced. Don''t worry over it, but do have someone skilled in cutting, not just in taking in repair work, have a reliable look at the stone.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh! oh no!!!! i don''t want it to cleave!

I think I know what caused it. My bf was moving this weekend and he accidently ran into my hand with a steel chair. I''m gonna kill him!!
29.gif

Men -- make a mental note:

Never come between a girl and her rock.

((sorry ForteKitty)) I hope you can get it fixed soon.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Forte,
I''m sorry to hear about your diamond...that stinks!
emthdown.gif
You are definitely taking it better than I would lol! Whether you decide to leave the stone as is, or have it recut...please don''t let this ruin the love of that sparklie!

And thanks to KM for the tip on the different emoticons...I always wondered how others had so many to choose from!
face23.gif
emotion-15.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3:34:51 PM
Author: DiamondsRagirlsbestfriend
Men -- make a mental note:

Never come between a girl and her rock.

Especially when she just bought it for herself 3 weeks ago!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Id barf. None of that dry heaving sh!t, etiher. Id probably faint, cry...die of a heart attack...

I check my stone Daily for almost 20 minutes, STILL, every morning usually, sometimes in the middle of the day if I hit it on something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results