shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm devastated, I think I'm done with diamonds.

john gem

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry queenmum to hear about this. How devastating :nono: . Just remember there is a whole big colored stone world and Pricescope section thats waiting to take you in under our wing. Oh and we have a 100 times more stone variety over here. :naughty:
(sorry diamond junkies..a little jab at you guys from a CS nut ;-) :bigsmile: ;)) ;)) ;)) ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephen, I think your letter was just perfect! :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad to see that you have such a positive attitiude, Stephan! Anyone who can stop smoking and lose weight, can do anything! You looked the jeweler in the eye and said everything on your mind. Now you are free!

Hugs,
Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stephan,
Loved your letter. It says it all.

Congrats on quitting smoking, and on your weight loss. That's HUGE.

I hope you still hang with us now and then. If you left, it would be a big loss, but you have to do what is right for YOU. I so get where you are coming from. ;))

Lisa

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1295734865|2830002 said:

Lisa, you crack me up.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1295734914|2830003 said:
Kaleigh|1295734865|2830002 said:

Lisa, you crack me up.

How about a little tolerance here Kenny. I meant it's a big accomplishment... DUH... Bored now...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Oh thank you all, you really helped me, and today you even made me smile!
I'm back home from the Vietnamese restaurant.
Everybody noticed the ring before I introduced it.
I didn't tell my other friends about the abrasion marks.
It was shining like crazy.
It looks like a lot of bling.
And it is eye clean.
So what do I need more?
Perhaps are Kenny and my best friend right: I should give it a try.

I received a read receipt of the mail 1h30 ago.
But no answer.
I think it's clear, the guy knows the problem.
If he was not guilty, I would already have received an answer.
My only fear is that the guy really doesn't know about the abrasion, but as he set the diamonds while looking in his microscope, I can't believe he didn't notice that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenMum|1295738210|2830044 said:
My only fear is that the guy really doesn't know about the abrasion, but as he set the diamonds while looking in his microscope, I can't believe he didn't notice that.

For many years part of my job was looking under a microscope at other peoples' "precision" work.

That he did not notice this does not surprise me one tiny bit.
People notice what they look for.
Often they are only looking for whether they are finished, not how well the did the work.
You would be astonished at the crap I saw.

It is a zillion times easier to notice something wrong with someone else's work, which he was not doing.
Perhaps suggest to them that a separate person inspect every job.
Often a peer, not a boss, is the best inspector.
A peer is intimately familiar with what to look for.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Queenmum, I'm know I'm late to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're feeling better and may even be able to enjoy your beautiful ring. Any chance you'll feel up to sharing it's beauty with us soon?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I understand your disappointment and it sounds like you are coming around. Nothing in anything in life going to stay perfect so I wouldn't worry about it. Congrats on losing weight and quitting smoking, what a feat!!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Todd Gray|1295642736|2829030 said:
QueenMum|1295642409|2829018 said:
Thank you Yssie & geckodani!

Todd Gray|1295641885|2829006 said:
I'm really sorry to hear of this experience QM. Since you're in Antwerp, you might give Paul from Infinity a call... If I recall correctly, you've met with him before, and ask him whether the abrasions are minimal enough to be polished off with a minimal amount of loss.

The abrasions don't look that serious, but I feel like
1) I don't want to pay 1 cent more for something smaller, and have a new ring made.
2) I'm superstitious, and this story really smells bad. The by FedEx stolen diamond 2 years ago was another sign.

I also feel very bad with the jeweler: he sets the stones while looking in a microscope. He surely saw this.
I feel like a child when people are not honest with me. It really hurts.

Well I guess I deserved it.

You certainly do not deserve it! The reality is that some people just suck and while I like to believe that the majority of people are honest, the unfortunate reality is that people will often fail to step up and take responsibility for their actions when doing so is going to cost them money or negatively affect their business :(sad

I agree with Todd. You don't deserve it. Some people just suck and you have had the bad luck of coming across some dishonest people. I'm sorry it happened to you. And congrats on quitting smoking and losing 85 lbs. Big accomplishments!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenMum|1295815013|2830666 said:
Thank you all!
I've posted some pictures here, where 2 of the abrasions are visible.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ng-with-abraded-diamonds.155481/#post-2830665

Stephan - I don't know if this will make you feel better or not but I had assumed the abrasions were really bad and affected the diamonds horrendously. Your photos are magnified greatly and the abrasions are not very apparent. Yes they are there but honestly, the diamonds "look" really isn't interfered with. I do understand that this is a mind clean issue and what one person will tolerate, another won't. You are absolutely right that the jeweller should have taken more care but you really should try to put this behind you and enjoy your diamonds for what they are - lovely!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LovingDiamonds.
Yes, the diamonds are still eye clean, it's probably impossible for me to see it with the naked eye.
I wonder how polish and clarity would be graded now.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey there Stephan,

I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on a loupe eval. Bring it to a gman whose got a gemological microscope and also a good ultrasonic cleaner with a good old fashoined toothbrush too. Have him clean it up then look at it under the microscope. Your may find your worries alleviated.

All the best to you man,
Jonathan

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jonathan,

I cleaned the diamond all the ways you can imagine, the marks are still there.
You also know this is not my first diamond. ::)
The guy offers me to unset the stones, repolish them and reset them.
I did kindly refuse his offer.

I wonder: is it possible this happened while he polished the prongs?
Are some jewelers using diamond powder in their jewelry polishing process?

Thank you!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The guy called me this afternoon.
He was very friendly, and offered me to unset the diamonds, have them polished by a 3 EX diamond cutter in Antwerp, have them GIA certified and then reset them and even make a new ring if I wanted to.
He even insisted to have me going that way.
I was so happy to hear that.

Really, I don't think it's necessary.
The ring shines like crazy.
As said many times above, the 3 stones remain 200% eye clean.
I realize I only needed his honesty to make me feel better.

I'm more thinking of accepting his help in case I sell this ring in the future.
I could answer him: "Thank you, I keep the ring as it is, but if I sell it in the future, I hope you'll remember your offer."

What do you all think?
I feel so much better!
Thank you again for all the hugs, I love you!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
So pleased that you're in talks with the jeweller and that he is willing to try and make things right with you, that's how it should be when things go wrong. Whatever you choose to do, I hope this experience has a truly happy ending for you. Best Wishes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What wonderful news Stephan.

I'm so glad you feel better about your bling now.
I'd accept this offer even though you probably don't want to part with it right now.
I think in the long run you'll be happier you got it repaired.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
So glad you are feeling better and enjoying your very attractive ring. Walking away from a business deal with a feeling of integrity from both parties makes all the difference doesn't it?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you're loving your ring again! :appl:

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all!

I realize the human dimension of this story is even more important than the diamonds.
Kenny, I can't imagine a "blingier" ring than this one, I think I'll keep it the way it is.
I'm certain he will help me polish/certify/sell the diamonds if it is needed one day.

Perhaps this experience will help me stop changing diamonds every 6 months?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenMum|1295893407|2831572 said:
The guy called me this afternoon.
He was very friendly, and offered me to unset the diamonds, have them polished by a 3 EX diamond cutter in Antwerp, have them GIA certified and then reset them and even make a new ring if I wanted to.
He even insisted to have me going that way.
I was so happy to hear that.

Really, I don't think it's necessary.
The ring shines like crazy.
As said many times above, the 3 stones remain 200% eye clean.
I realize I only needed his honesty to make me feel better.

I'm more thinking of accepting his help in case I sell this ring in the future.
I could answer him: "Thank you, I keep the ring as it is, but if I sell it in the future, I hope you'll remember your offer."

What do you all think?
I feel so much better!
Thank you again for all the hugs, I love you!

Excellent!

I agree with Kenny Stephan, I think you would find it a more mind-clean piece if your last memory of the creation process - and the vendor with whom you worked - is a positive one.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm glad to see that you are feeling better about all of this QM!

Jonathan, you crack me up my friend... "gman" as an abbreviation for Gemologist, I'm going to laugh all day over that one! Heck, I think I'm going to call Marty Haske and start off the call with "What's up Gman?" :bigsmile:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Stephan,
I'm going to agree with my man Jon here- it's entirely possible that you may not be in the position you think you are.
By all means, you might- but I say this because it's difficult to imagine how such damage might have been done.

Remember, diamonds are the hardest substance- making an abrasion is not all that easy......

You do have the stones in front of you - so I apologize if I'm not correct here- but I agree, have the ring examined using a microscope - by your favorite "gman".

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hi David,

You don't have to apologize, but I'm certain of what I see.
It's certainly not my first diamond, and I'm even able to see surface graining without loupe on a triple EX GIA VS quality diamond. My eye is sharp for clarity.
How did it happen, I have no clue.
Perhaps is it the file that the jeweler used to polish the prongs.
I think I can live with it, and if I change my mind after a few months, the jeweler will be there to have the stones polished back for me and re-certified so I try to enjoy this ring now.
Perhaps Brian Gavin will offer me an even better solution for the 2 little diamonds when I sell them.

The human adventure is much more interesting than diamonds.
And no diamond is flawless.
::)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
QueenMum|1295910279|2831885 said:
Hi David,

You don't have to apologize, but I'm certain of what I see.
It's certainly not my first diamond, and I'm even able to see surface graining without loupe on a triple EX GIA VS quality diamond. My eye is sharp for clarity.
How did it happen, I have no clue.
Perhaps is it the file that the jeweler used to polish the prongs.
I think I can live with it, and if I change my mind after a few months, the jeweler will be there to have the stones polished back for me and re-certified so I try to enjoy this ring now.
Perhaps Brian Gavin will offer me an even better solution for the 2 little diamonds when I sell them.

The human adventure is much more interesting than diamonds.
And no diamond is flawless.
::)

I think your last line is something to remember as we nit-pick our stones and rings--- "no diamond is flawless".

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you feel better and that the jeweller is being reasonable. The ring is indeed pretty whether you fix it or not.
Diamonds are not forever, its good to remember that. That's advertising. They are very hard, but they chip, abrade and even split if hit at exactly the right point. 'forever' is just an advertising slogan. But diamonds are very lovely and we can enjoy them even knowing they are not forever and that, as you posted, 'it's just a material thing'.
Things could be worse--you could be like my mother, the diamond loser. She came to visit me last week. She had just lost one of a pair of 1.3 carat total weight diamond earrings I helped her to buy about 3 years ago. She was quite upset. Because it's the 5th or 6th diamond she's lost. She lost her engagement ring diamond 40 years ago and my father never bought her another one, and she was always so upset about that, so when I got into diamonds with pricescope I started buying her some. But she loses them constantly. whether earring rings or whatever. She has no insurance and they can't be replaced.
She felt better after we went and bought her a pair of diamond pave heart earrings. she love diamonds so much now that she wanted new diamond earrings, not gold hoops or anything else and those had to do. But then when we got back to my house she lost one of them! I'm not kidding! Fortunately we found it in the bed after a lot of searching, but I'm guessing the lifespan of this pair of earrings is also going to be short.
It's not the end of the world. She's eighty years old and she's still here. That's the important thing.
Enjoy your ring.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so very sorry to hear that. Hugs to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results