shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm devastated, I think I'm done with diamonds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
QueenMum|1295646751|2829116 said:
chamois|1295644069|2829067 said:
Oh dear Stephan, this is making me sad too and my tears are dripping onto the keyboard.
Oh I'm so sorry, I really didn't realize I would make you feel sad!
Please don't be sad, this is only material.
I just think things are the way they have to be, even if sometimes it sounds bad.

Please stay on PS Stephan.
There's precious few guys here as it is.

Just a thought- are you absolutely sure of what you're seeing on the stones?
Sometimes dirt can look like abrasion.
Not to insult your vision in any way, but sometimes I've found that dirt can make me see things that are not there.
It's not usual for a setter to do that kind of damage.
If they do damage, it's usually a chip......

princesss

Ideal_Rock
*hugs* Stephan. I just wandered over here and saw this post. I'm so sorry that your ring has been tainted like this.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1295650304|2829178 said:
QueenMum|1295646751|2829116 said:
chamois|1295644069|2829067 said:
Oh dear Stephan, this is making me sad too and my tears are dripping onto the keyboard.
Oh I'm so sorry, I really didn't realize I would make you feel sad!
Please don't be sad, this is only material.
I just think things are the way they have to be, even if sometimes it sounds bad.

Please stay on PS Stephan.
There's precious few guys here as it is.

Just a thought- are you absolutely sure of what you're seeing on the stones?
Sometimes dirt can look like abrasion.
Not to insult your vision in any way, but sometimes I've found that dirt can make me see things that are not there.
It's not usual for a setter to do that kind of damage.
If they do damage, it's usually a chip......
Thank you David!
I really don't think I'll continue looking at diamonds.
That's just one facet of my personality, like I said above.
I've quit smoking (from 40 to 0 cigarets) without help, lost 85 pounds without help.
My diamond addiction is over today.

There is a very little chip on the 1.308ct, the rest I see are abrasions at some facet junctions of the 3 stones.
One of the worst happens in the 1.308ct, at the intersection of a kite facet, a star facet and the table.
It's a horror movie.
This ring isn't worth wearing nor cleaning anymore.
I don't have to inhale ammonia anymore.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Kenny and Princesss!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenMum|1295651177|2829191 said:
My diamond addiction is over today.

You have to go from addiction to zero?
No middle ground?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
(((((((BIG HUGS,)))))) Stephan. I understand that you feel very upset (and rightly so!), but I really don't think you should let this go. You've been given a few sources to research and I think that you should look into those before 'throwing in the towel'. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Stephan-I never would have seen this if Kenny hadn't posted a note that you needed a hug over in Hangout. I am so glad I made it over before you did something rash, like to leave before I could give you a hug! You have been here forever and if you had simply disappeared and I had not even been able to say goodbye, I would have felt terrible!

I really, really agree with Kenny that you should give this some time. If you don't want to buy any more diamonds, no one can make you. If this is a sign that diamonds are an addiction, like weight/food and smoking, then you won't have done anything wrong if you just sit tight and don't buy anything for a few weeks. But you don't have to stop posting on Pricescope or thinking! You can take time to go have a drink or see a movie as Kenny suggested.

And do consult Paul! He cannot force you to buy anything.

But we are your friends here on Pricescope.

My stoplight red spinel was ruined while being set in a similar way to how your diamonds were scratched. Only mine was internally compromised. I have to say that I have never worn the red spinel ring made with the replacement stone. Not because of principle. I just never felt like putting it on! And its being in the safe deposit box makes it harder to get to, anyway. So I really understand how you feel.

But please don't give up.

I hug you, too.

Your old friend,
Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Hugs to you, Stephan! What a terribly disheartening experience. I know what it is to be sick over something like this. But don't give up on PS! We are here to support you.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry Stephen. I understand the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. I hope you stay on PS because I would miss
you if you left.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so sorry to hear this.

Damaged diamonds are a nightmare.

Huge hugs to you, whatever you decide.

stci

Ideal_Rock
No no no Stephan! Don't let this adventure to demoralize you!

Just ask to this monster to send the diamond to an expert to polish it and you don't want to pay 1 cent!

Please... stay with us Dear.... Stephan please... :-o

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my lord. i'm sorry to hear about this! Is there any way to take it to another jeweler or to reach some sort of agreement with the current jeweler? Please don't be turned off of diamonds completely! There are a lot of wonderful, helpful vendors out there. They aren't all terrible.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am also so sorry to hear this. Please don't leave us though!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Stephen, I am so sorry that you had to experience this unfortunate event. It really sucks when you put your heart and soul into this project and it turned out much less than you expected. Count me in as someone who would hate to see you leave PS. Take it one day at a time.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to see your diamond damaged Queenmum, I had to chimed in because I recently had the same experience as yourself, only with an expensive coloured stone. I hope you can enjoy your existing collection in time and have the damage fixed when you are ready.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Stephan~ you have many people here who care about you. By all means, sell this ring. I know you will not feel good about wearing it. Please don't let it affect the other diamonds that you have. It's probably best to take a break from diamonds, but you have a precious ruby to help ease your pain.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hugs, Stephan.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Stephan, I am really sorry about this. I would be devastated and crying also if I was in your position.

But just letting the jeweller go? I don't know about that. I'd be making sure they replace the stones or something.
I'd feel upset not only for myself but for any other future buyers. The jeweller needs to realise if you damage something - you fix it.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Stephan,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I can completely understand your need to be rid of something that you feel has been tainted or is imperfect. I think when you spent as long as you have, to search for the perfect stones, this would be the last straw. I think you should do whatever gives you release from this upset and pain.

However, I would implore you not to leave PS. You are, to me, one of the originals. Someone who has so much knowledge to share. I have learned from your posts and others like you. I would hate to think I will never see you post again. :((

I understand you need to deal with this issue. Once you have, to your own satisfaction, you will have peace return to you. Please, then come back to us. We need you and I hope somewhere deep down, you need us too. That is the wonderful nature of PS, the support and friendship along with occasional high drama. ;))

Take care, Stephan. I will be sending you peaceful thoughts!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be angry as all heck.

I would call Paul and see what he can do for you. If you really are done with diamonds then your best shot is to get them re-polished for resale. And if you aren't done, just very upset, if will be lovely to have them all fixed up by someone as extraordinary as Paul.

I do think that you have some amazing rings, and your Grace ring is one of my all time favorites. I wouldn't let this ruin your enjoyment of something that brings a smile to your face daily as you look down at your hands.

You been a lovely sparkling fixture here for a long time Stephan, I'd hate to see you go... so please consider staying.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry about this bad experience. It is absolutely not deserved. I had a similar one and understand how it taints your enjoyment of the piece. I will probably have my own piece re-made into something new and different by a competent jeweler so I can enjoy it again and move on. I would ask the jeweler to pay for repolishing (by Paul or expert of your choice) which should be $150/ct.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for this support, you make me feel better, really.
I'm sorry if I don't reply to all of you personally, but thank you for all the hugs!
::)

I've sent a mail to the jeweler.
I feel released.
Here it is, with the help of the Google translator (French/English and then revisited by me):

Hello,

We had an appointment on Tuesday morning for a new project.
Unfortunately, this project will not occur.
I preferred to inform you of this.

Indeed, the 3 stones that I entrusted to you to make my ring now carry traces of abrasion.
Yet, I had gave them to you into separate envelopes and in perfect condition.
Apparently you did not take the same precautions.

These stones are all 3 certified.
It's useless to say that these certificates are no longer consistent with the stones and I'm losing money.
Moreover, knowing that the stones were damaged, I can no longer wear this ring because I do not want to think about this experience anymore.
To the naked eye, the stones are still beautiful.
I had noticed these tracks with a magnifying glass in your store, but I thought it was dirt, and halogen lighting is not ideal to see that kind of defects.
I remembered of that last evening after work, and then I collapsed after thorough verification.

I don't research any conflictual situation, I just wanted to tell you that I saw what happened to the stones, it really hurts, but I suffer even more because I find you friendly and I know you have not done that on purpose. Therefore, you should have told me.
Well, I've said it. I do not repress these feelings.

In the future, do not store more diamonds in places where they could get in touch with each other.
I think this is the stage where it happened.

If you have an idea to solve this problem, please let me know.
Otherwise, I have no other option but to unset the stones, sell at a loss to a diamond dealer that I know and sell the gold at the gold price.
I've learned my lesson, at a very high price.
Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistake, but I wrote this email very spontaneously.

I wanted to be myself, and now I feel clean with myself.
That's the most important.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Stephan

I am glad writing the email made you feel better. I only hope that the person who did this, makes the situation right,to your satisfaction. Please let us know what happens. Remember you have a lot of shoulders on offer to help you through this. Good luck. Sending you hugs and calm thoughts. :wavey:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephan,

I am so sorry this happened and I am also sending you a virtual hug! PLEASE don't stop posting, we need all kinds of perspectives and input here and you would be sadly missed by many if you did leave!!!

I hope you feel better soon, put the ring away and decompress a bit, like Kenny suggested go and do something fun that isn't diamond related, then see how you feel in a few weeks. And I would definitely speak to Paul when you feel up to it to see what can be done if you decide to go that route. But don't do anything hasty like selling the ring just yet.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry Stephan. I know what its like to be so excited about something and then end up so disappointed. It sucks. You have my empathy.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened Stephan!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephen: I'm very sorry this happened to you, and very glad to see the note you wrote the jeweler. I hope that will help undo some of the damage that was done to you, even if it can't undo the damage that was done to your stones. ((((hugs))))

by the way, congratulations on quitting smoking and on your weight loss!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all!
Yes, writing the note did make me feel better.
I also found the strength to use my loupe again today.
The abrasions don't look that big, I'm sure the diamonds could be recut with a minimal loss.
It's like the center diamond went from VS1 to eye clean SI1, so it's still wearable.

My best friend told me:
"You change every 6 month, just wear it and sell it later by a loss like you always do. That doesn't change anything, it's what you always do, this is only a mind clean issue."

She's perhaps right.

But this story changed my opinion about diamonds.
Those who saw a chipped or scratched diamond surely understand me.

So I'm sure I'll sell this ring, perhaps in a few days or in a few months.
I'm sure I don't want to have the diamonds polished/recut and reset again, this story has already hurt my wallet and my heart more than enough. :)
And this ring shines like there is no tomorrow.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenMum|1295719202|2829723 said:
Thank you all!
Yes, writing the note did make me feel better.
I also found the strength to use my loupe again today.
The abrasions don't look that big, I'm sure the diamonds could be recut with a minimal loss.
It's like the center diamond went from VS1 to eye clean SI1, so it's still wearable.

My best friend told me:
"You change every 6 month, just wear it and sell it later by a loss like you always do. That doesn't change anything, it's what you always do, this is only a mind clean issue."

She's perhaps right.

But this story changed my opinion about diamonds.
Those who saw a chipped or scratched diamond surely understand me.

So I'm sure I'll sell this ring, perhaps in a few days or in a few months.
I'm sure I don't want to have the diamonds polished/recut and reset again, this story has already hurt my wallet and my heart more than enough. :)
And this ring shines like there is no tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better today Stephan!
I can definitely understand feeling - betrayed, by both the ring and the industry, whether or not that makes logical sense. But, if I may suggest, perhaps hold on to this ring for a month or two, and decide what to do with it when your feelings are not as raw? Stick it in a drawer so you don't have to look at it if you don't want to... I'm just thinking it would be terrible to have to take a big loss trying to get rid of it as soon as possible, and even worse to succeed and then regret it in two months, if you find your feelings change.

Please don't stop posting here. I don't know of anyone else who likes long stars as much as you!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I am delighted to see your post above!! Your friend obviously knows you very well. ;))

Enjoy your ring whilst it is in your possession and please let us know how you are doing, whether it is diamond related or not! We would miss you otherwise! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results