shape
carat
color
clarity

Ikuma diamond ‘ideal cut princess’ ... found browsing BN & interesting tidbit

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was randomly perusing BN for nothing in particular ... I just like randomly browsing and stumbling across interesting diamonds. And FTR, I’m not interested in buying this diamond, so if someone else wants it, by all means, have at it.

Something about it just looked interesting, so I clicked on it, then viewed the GIA report and noted the Ikuma inscription, then decided to see what it was all about since I’ve never heard of this ‘brand’/cut before. Appears to be a Canadian-mined diamond, and from what I gather, Ikuma had/has their own ‘ideal’ cut princess, which in this diamond’s case, the GIA classified as a cut-cornered square modified brilliant. Also appears the ‘Ikuma’ branded cut is offered exclusively by a dealer - Ben Bridge - since all the ‘Ikuma’ website pages I found lead back/link to ‘Ben Bridge’. Nevertheless ...

Here’s the diamond (link to BN):
97CAEF66-11A4-49F6-AE6F-45A222FFC67C.jpeg

I noted the branding on the GIA report, went digging for information, and found this on the Ikuma website: (have to click on ‘Expertly Cut & Graded’ link about half way down to find this)
FEFE644E-E432-41A0-AADC-EA384B420E65.jpeg

A buyer can also apparently track their diamond’s history; for the one above that I found on BN, using the Ikuma # inscribed on the diamond & noted on the GIA report, it reveals the following about this particular diamond ... kind of interesting I suppose if someone values these details, but the diamond details they note are what I found interesting:

Your diamond was mined from the depths of the Diavik Diamond Mine in Canada's remote North.

The Diavik Diamond Mine is one of only three mines that produce diamonds in Canada. Diavik is located in a desolated region of Canada's Northwest Territories and is accessible only by air or by frozen ice roads during several weeks in the winter.

The original rough diamond crystal your lkuma diamond was fashioned from was approximately 1.92cts. From this unique billion-year-old Canadian diamond crystal, your 0.99ct lkuma Princess Cut diamond came to life.

After being examined by our master diamond artisans, a first cut was made to the rough crystal your diamond was fashioned from on October 19, 2005. From this first cut, your round diamond took shape and was masterfully transformed into the exquisite lkuma gem you wear today.

Certificate #: 6689107
Certified Date: 10/19/2005
Cut / Shape: Princess Cut
Carat: 0.99ct
Color: H
Clarity: SI1

The website to track the diamond also noted “To be worthy of becoming a part of your unique story, every lkuma diamond is independently verified by the American Gem Society Laboratory for its exceptional quality.

I checked AGS via their ‘report check’ function using the Ikuma#/certificate number noted, and found their lab report for the diamond, which corresponds with the above from Ikuma’s website.
96AED237-6EC4-4619-A930-9B3BE4857747.jpeg

Note there is no ‘ideal’ (or otherwise) cut grade reflected, which leads me to think the Ikuma/Ben Bridge brand itself considers it an ‘ideal’ cut vs. an independent lab analysis finding such, though I suppose it’s also possible either AGS didn’t have ‘ideal’ standards for princess cuts in 2005 and/or they felt this wasn’t a true ‘princess’ cut, given the cut corners to earn ‘ideal princess’ cut grading.

Anyway ...

The more recently-issued GIA report:
5367B2CE-C85E-4031-BD93-9834792B3FDA.jpeg

TLDR/Interesting:
This diamond appears to have been graded by AGS as an H SI1; however, the GIA report on BN for the diamond graded it as a G VS2. I found this interesting/noteworthy, considering it’s usually the other way around ... that some PSers suggest AGS is ‘softer’ on color grading than GIA. In this case, AGS has both color & clarity one grade lower than GIA. For those who subscribe to the GIA=strict vs. AGS=soft grading debate, I suppose it’s possible that - in the timeframe this diamond was cut/graded (2005-ish by AGS and 2019 by GIA) - perhaps AGS was actually more strict on color/clarity than GIA. It’s not like diamonds became whiter and clearer with age, unless that is the magic of Canadian-mined diamonds.

:wavey: That’s all ... just wanted to share an interesting rabbit hole I went down this morning from an informational perspective given the conflicting GIA & AGS findings, as well as the fact I don’t recall reading about these diamonds on PS, though I see them mentioned a couple times 10+ years back.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also forgot to point out that when it comes to GIA’s rounding, in this case, they rounded down (when I’d think they would round up) on both carat weight and table % from what AGS noted. Maybe their SOP is to always round down, no matter how close to the next whole number a measurement may be. :confused:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting. No light performance grade on this stone given how old it is. Must be that all of the newer stones must receive AGS 0 for light performance.

Does look somewhat pretty.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting find!

This gave me a chuckle:

The original rough diamond crystal your lkuma diamond was fashioned from was approximately 1.92cts. From this unique billion-year-old Canadian diamond crystal, your 0.99ct lkuma Princess Cut diamond came to life.
After being examined by our master diamond artisans, a first cut was made to the rough crystal your diamond was fashioned from on October 19, 2005. From this first cut, your round diamond took shape and was masterfully transformed into the exquisite lkuma gem you wear today.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting find!

This gave me a chuckle:

It started off as a round before they lopped off some corners and arcs perhaps?

*said with tongue firmly in cheek*

:lol:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It started off as a round before they lopped off some corners and arcs perhaps?

*said with tongue firmly in cheek*

:lol:
Well, however it came to be, that lovely sounding provenance statement does not inspire a great deal of confidence! ;-)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess faceting in the photo and an H&A round-type brilliant images. Hmm.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, however it came to be, that lovely sounding provenance statement does not inspire a great deal of confidence! ;-)

I also noted that round/princess conflicting info; still surprised I had that much attention span so early and with only 1 cup of coffee in me. :loopy:

And I agree @bmfang that it is pretty, and it’s a gnat’s ‘rear-end’ hair below the coveted 1ct mark. It may be a good buy for someone in the market for a unique-ish princess. I, however, am not; just piqued my curiosity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results