shape
carat
color
clarity

If you participate in the MMD forum... (poll)

Should MMD be incorporated into RT and SMTB?

• Yes, mined and lab diamonds should be together

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • No, keep the MMD forum separate

Votes: 69 58.0%

• Total voters

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
... would you want to incorporate MMD into Rocky Talky and Show Me the Bling? Or keep this forum separate? And why? Please explain your vote!

I hope it is ok to start this thread. I have no power in making such a change happen, and I am not trying to undermine the mods or the current system in any way. Rather, I have been seeing more posts about this recently across other threads and felt it would be good to have one place for focused discussion. Thanks!

Last edited:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Haha why aren’t the “NO” votes being explained?

I would allow MMD in SMTB. A diamond is a diamond is a diamond. How can a Yoram Cut Diamond be excluded from SMTB, but I would be allowed to post my ugly half eternity from a shady jewellery store, that I overpaid for when I was 16?

I have a lot of thoughts about this. Personally, I don’t own a single MMD (yet) and I’m not sure that I actually would go ahead and buy one (not super opposed but prefer mined and availability of well priced MMDs is low where i live), but also - MMDs and mined diamonds are chemically identical and I don’t think they need to be completely segregated. I think there is value in disclosure even in SMTB, especially since considerations can be different, some people are passionately for/against one or the other but I think it’s possible to combine the forums while still allowing people who don’t want to see posts of one kind of stone to completely avoid them. I’m mostly copy-pasting a comment I just made on a different thread here to explain my idea since I’m a bit busy and don’t have time to completely reword:

Not sure if it’s even possible without a bit of a redesign of the website but what could be done would be to have a single RT and a single SMTB, and remove the MMD/Pearl/FFS forums, but have the ability to add tags to each post and a rule that each post must contain a tag (in fact we could make the “new post” form require a tag for posting). We could have the following tags: mined, mmd, diamond sims, colored stone, lab colored stone, pearl, multiple, and no stone; and have people choose whatever works best. So for example if someone wants help designing a ruby ring with a diamond cluster, they would mark their post “colored stone” and say “ruby” in the post title, since the diamond in this case is just an accent to the main ring. If the tags are designed in the same way as the way jotw and tbt tags are, clicking on the tag can open up all posts relating to only that tag, like mined diamond, for example, or we can institute a filter so that people who don’t want to see posts relating to a kind of jewelry (Eg they don’t want to see anything relating to MMDs) can simply filter them out.

I like the idea because then every kind of stone can have a RT and SMTB without having a gazillion forums. The tag/filter system can be implemented across all subforums like Jewelry Pieces, Antique&Vintage etc. and we can get rid of the MMD/FFJ/Pearl/Colored Stone forums completely.

I think it would work well :)

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
as it is currently set up, im not quite sure that i can vote. please allow me to explain .and do correct me if i am mistaken ...

i would love to see mmd rings and other jewelry on "show me the bling"! why not, feature and share beautiful jewelry for everyone to enjoy and possibly even inspire

i feel "rocky talk" may pose more of a challenge because of all the subtle subset of nuances in diamond material in both types of diamonds. the different makes and the nuances associated with that. and the different agencies that grade both types of diamonds. as is, i find, "rocky talky" bursting at the seams. i feel there are too too many nuances and technicalities to merge the "discussion", "scrutiny", "analyzation" and so forth ... of both the diamond materials

perhaps open a subforum devoted to mmd as rocky talky. and if mmd wearers prefer to have their own "show me the bling", i am supportive of that

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
They’re already in both Rocky Talky and Show Me The Bling. (At least, I have seen one that I know is a MMD in both).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t vote because I think we should be allowed to show off in SMTB but not in Rocky talk. For now. I realize lots of people want to know if their specs are good for MMD but until more vendors sell them our sponsors pay to sell mined diamonds. InSMTB who cares? I’m not at all afraid to call it what it is.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I agree with @Big Fat Facets re: Rockytalky; MMD & mined may need separate forums because of all the reasons cited.

I like @AllAboardTheBlingTrain idea of tags, so folks can post in different boards, & those with sensitive sensibilities can filter out what they don’t want to see.

As far as Show me the Bling... I don’t see why they should be segregated. It seems dumb. And I would guess the hostile attitude towards MMD harbored by some users has driven away lurkers who would have otherwise become active participants, which is a shame.

Re: why the “No” votes aren’t giving explanations, I think their reasoning has been made pretty loud and clear throughout many of these threads already. But I could be wrong.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The NO votes are the “ purists”.

@Big Fat Facets i see your point about why it might be necessary to have separate RTs for all stone types.

We could however then just turn the SMTB forum into a catch all with the tag system that I mentioned, and let each existing sub forum continue on as a RT for that stone type. The unspoken rule of SMTB for compliments only, specific sub forums for all critical talk/discussion can then continue.

As a further step in the future maybe it would be cool to allow discussion of MMD and mined in the same thread if the poster specifically says they’re open to options from both categories, but that can be tackled later / might not be possible.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I vote yes, allow them to be there In RT and SMTB.

First, as I said above, they’re already there.

Second, if you have the likes of Yoram cutting MMDs, the product is getting really good. So let’s increase consumer awareness and education about it. If you don’t like it, scroll along.

Third, excluding MMDs for any sort of “quality” argument doesn’t hold water for me. A product being a mined diamond is in no way a guarantee of quality, as @Lessics said above.

Finally, I understand this topic can bring out strong emotions. It is worthwhile to acknowledge that for some, choosing a man made stone may also be a choice rooted in emotion and symbolism. Perhaps for a couple who has been through a rough patch in their marriage and come out the other side, there would be great symbolism in choosing a man made product, as they would feel they have put in the work to have created their relationship anew.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I have a lot of thoughts about this. Personally, I don’t own a single MMD (yet) and I’m not sure that I actually would go ahead and buy one (not super opposed but prefer mined and availability of well priced MMDs is low where i live), but also - MMDs and mined diamonds are chemically identical and I don’t think they need to be completely segregated. I think there is value in disclosure even in SMTB, especially since considerations can be different, some people are passionately for/against one or the other but I think it’s possible to combine the forums while still allowing people who don’t want to see posts of one kind of stone to completely avoid them. I’m mostly copy-pasting a comment I just made on a different thread here to explain my idea since I’m a bit busy and don’t have time to completely reword:

Not sure if it’s even possible without a bit of a redesign of the website but what could be done would be to have a single RT and a single SMTB, and remove the MMD/Pearl/FFS forums, but have the ability to add tags to each post and a rule that each post must contain a tag (in fact we could make the “new post” form require a tag for posting). We could have the following tags: mined, mmd, diamond sims, colored stone, lab colored stone, pearl, multiple, and no stone; and have people choose whatever works best. So for example if someone wants help designing a ruby ring with a diamond cluster, they would mark their post “colored stone” and say “ruby” in the post title, since the diamond in this case is just an accent to the main ring. If the tags are designed in the same way as the way jotw and tbt tags are, clicking on the tag can open up all posts relating to only that tag, like mined diamond, for example, or we can institute a filter so that people who don’t want to see posts relating to a kind of jewelry (Eg they don’t want to see anything relating to MMDs) can simply filter them out.

I like the idea because then every kind of stone can have a RT and SMTB without having a gazillion forums. The tag/filter system can be implemented across all subforums like Jewelry Pieces, Antique&Vintage etc. and we can get rid of the MMD/FFJ/Pearl/Colored Stone forums completely.

I think it would work well :)

I feel like in order to work that system really relies on individual users tagging their posts correctly/uniformally. Great in concept, but I’m afraid in practice it would lead to a lot of headaches for mods and a lot of frustration for users like me who are not tech savvy and would definitely mess up the tags.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
They’re already in both Rocky Talky and Show Me The Bling. (At least, I have seen one that I know is a MMD in both).

Hmmm, they might be but I personally can’t speak to that. I am curious about what’s sanctioned by mods; I don’t think people should disregard the rules and post their MMD on other forums as things currently stand (I’m not saying that you’re suggesting that).

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
as is, i find, "rocky talky" bursting at the seams. i feel there are too too many nuances and technicalities to merge the "discussion", "scrutiny", "analyzation" and so forth ... of both the diamond materials

I totally agree with this.

Thank you for sharing your perspective! I wish I had put a third “other/explain” option on the poll, but hopefully people will speak up and share their thoughts even if the poll options are incomplete.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, they might be but I personally can’t speak to that. I am curious about what’s sanctioned by mods; I don’t think people should disregard the rules and post their MMD on other forums as things currently stand (I’m not saying that you’re suggesting that).

Oh, I’m definitely not suggesting that. I am a Rules Follower. My only MMD is in the SMTB thread in the appropriate place (the MMD SMTB thread).

love succulents

Rough_Rock
FWIW, I’m new and I’d vote to keep things separate just because I’ve already seen the amount of totally unnecessary vitriol thrown at MMDs and I would be unwilling to participate in the main forum.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I can think of plenty of reasons to keep them separate that have nothing to do with personal judgements (emotional, financial, whatever) about MMD.

I guess I wonder what those in the “Yes” camp feel you are missing by not being able to post in the other forums. I’m asking this genuinely; it’s not rhetorical.

There is a SMTB thread on this forum, and in addition to that thread people often post their new jewelry in standalone threads and we love to oooohh and aaaaahh over it. As for diamond feedback and shopping help, they’re different markets and in some ways different materials. Expertise in one is not expertise in both, and there is plenty of MMD-specific expertise being shared here. I feel like a lot of that specific help would be diluted on a broader forum. Yes, some of the ladies who frequent RT share incredible knowledge that could be applicable here (especially about cut), which I greatly appreciate and enjoy following, but we all have access to those same charts, the HCA tool, etc. if we want to shop that way.

Last edited:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I voted yes but I mostly had SMTB in mind. This sub isn’t as trafficked and I think mmd engagement rings should have the same opportunity to get the love of their mined counterparts.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. Why can’t we get Google eyed over at the other SMTB. Its all jewelry.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t voted because I’m on the fence. On the yes side I’d agree with what many have said here about why not share all the beautiful bling in one spot, on the no side, given that I am mostly interested in MMD at this point (due to cost) I like having all the MMD info in one spot. (So it’s a selfish reason ha ha)

I have to also say though that as a relative newbie, and a person who is more often than not constrained by budget when it comes to my purchases, In that I am not always looking for the best most perfect cut, but more so just to get the most sparkle and size for my buck, I do sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed on those board and so rarely if ever post. I’m fine with that, and can appreciate the finer things that are posted but I suppose I feel a bit less out of my dept on the MMD boards.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha why aren’t the “NO” votes being explained?

I would allow MMD in SMTB. A diamond is a diamond is a diamond. How can a Yoram Cut Diamond be excluded from SMTB, but I would be allowed to post my ugly half eternity from a shady jewellery store, that I overpaid for when I was 16?
This poll is wrongly based.
There are two seperate questions. RT and SMTB
It should be stopped and restarted as different polls.
Also this is the same as an election asking Democratic voters if they would like DT as president (LGD's).
And a vote where only Republicans get to say if they would like JB as president.

I think a clear result on RT would be keep the LGD forum. but then possibly 90% of the votes would come from LGD fans and natural diamond lovers would not bother.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. Keep them separate but open SMTB to both.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
This poll is wrongly based.
There are two seperate questions. RT and SMTB
It should be stopped and restarted as different polls.
Also this is the same as an election asking Democratic voters if they would like DT as president (LGD's).
And a vote where only Republicans get to say if they would like JB as president.

I think a clear result on RT would be keep the LGD forum. but then possibly 90% of the votes would come from LGD fans and natural diamond lovers would not bother.

Sorry. Both boards were mentioned in the comments in other threads, my post was in direct response to those comments. I started this thread quickly to create a place for focused discussion in an effort to avoid derailing other threads. I said in my initial post it was not my intention to promote any forum changes, but rather create a devoted thread for a conversation people are clearly wanting to have. By all means you as a PS mod/owner/investor/whathaveyou are more than welcome to delete the thread and create whatever poll you want in whatever location you want.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Yes also to keeping general discussions separate but SMTB could be combined. PS is one of the most civil Forums I'm come across but I know how heated words can get and I imagine there are many people who are passionately against lab stones. I'd rather chat to with likeminded people on that note. Showing off your settings/jewellery though? I'd like to think we can all appreciate good taste and crafting.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think this distinction could be solved with a tagging / filtering system, as opposed to separate threads. Similar to how there #JOTW tags, why couldn't tags for lab or mined be created, with one SMTB and Rocky talky thread? It could be really cool to have a tagging system generally for search as a filter mechanism - like, what if I am interested in filtering by the tag "lab" and the filter "colored stones" or "diamond"?

I look at this as being task-oriented...

For trolling SMTB, I am looking for design / aesthetic / proportions, not really the nitty gritty in the weeds that requires me caring about whether it is MMD or mined.

For RT, I may have questions about cut, clarity, etc - which are relevant to both lab and mined. Price comes in, as well as characteristics specific to mined or lab, but not relevant to the other...but there is where tagging could come in.

If it was a "folksonomy" style tagging system - would could hold each other accountable and tag if a thread is lab, for instance, if the original poster didn't.

free-user

Rough_Rock
I like that they are separate. I feel its like herding cats...(am I using this correctly?) Plus I've noticed certain personality differences in certain sections. It's actually kinda cool.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought Pricescope was a pioneer ahead of the curve. If pricescope wants to cater to more people and a growing market of people who want to buy MMD, they will have to start treating MMD fairly in the forum and not make it feel “cheap”, “not real” and banned to a “sub forum”.
If they only want to cater to “mined diamond lovers” then of course they can keep RT and SMTB exclusive to mined diamonds.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry. Both boards were mentioned in the comments in other threads, my post was in direct response to those comments. I started this thread quickly to create a place for focused discussion in an effort to avoid derailing other threads. I said in my initial post it was not my intention to promote any forum changes, but rather create a devoted thread for a conversation people are clearly wanting to have. By all means you as a PS mod/owner/investor/whathaveyou are more than welcome to delete the thread and create whatever poll you want in whatever location you want.

No problem, just a suggestion. Not a ruling :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results