shape
carat
color
clarity

If you own a MMD, do you tell everyone it is an MMD?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking that I had way more people ask if my children were natural. Usually phrased as “do twins run in your family.” I never once had anyone ask if my diamonds were natural. I don’t have any MMDs at the moment. But hey, if I’m okay with my lab created kids, I’d be totally fine with lab created diamonds. And if asked, the answer would really depend on the context, just like with my kids.

i would never think to ask that question

I’m pretty infertile and I thought it was funny.

thank you =)2
but honestly any humour was accidental
i was just thinking about scientific advancement durring my lifetime

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, Jeff White has lab-grown emeralds and sapphires WITH inclusions right now that he can cut for anyone who is interested :)

Yes those are lovely but not the standard. You can just whip up a D IF batch of MMD any time you want them.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly doubt most jewelry stores have the capital to buy those testers. The machine to distinguish types of diamonds is reaaaallllyyy expensive.

It is only $4995 from GIA Gem Instruments

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
My experience has been that most people will ask if it’s real. I say yes and move on. It is real, I’m just not defining what species and they didn’t ask.

if they were to ask if it’s a real........ then I would tell them yes or no. It really isn’t anyone’s business how or what you spend your money on and I havent found too many people that will come right out and ask.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
If they are done well and look and feel the same, and to ask a direct question about whether they are 'real' would be a personal question that has a hidden subtext / implication, then I would say it's a good analogy ;-) :razz: lol

No. Man made may have maintenance issues. Not the same.

Maintenance issues? For MMD or implants? Actually the analogy is pretty good. My breasts have been augmented/enhanced but they feel and look pretty darn real to me. If someone asks because they are genuinely curious, I don't have a problem telling the truth. I'm proud to have a nice set, just as I would be proud to have an MMD... *drools over lab created AVCs*

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maintenance issues? For MMD or implants? Actually the analogy is pretty good. My breasts have been augmented/enhanced but they feel and look pretty darn real to me. If someone asks because they are genuinely curious, I don't have a problem telling the truth. I'm proud to have a nice set, just as I would be proud to have an MMD... *drools over lab created AVCs*

What will happen to your breasts after 20 to 30 years? Do you have to go in to get them done again? Or removed? What if they rupture? Those are possible maintenance issues. So bad analogy.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
What will happen to your breasts after 20 to 30 years? Do you have to go in to get them done again? Or removed? What if they rupture? Those are possible maintenance issues. So bad analogy.

I'm not sure what that's got to do with your original post? Boobs were only brought up as an analogy for why you wouldn't run around telling people they were augmented, much in the same way you wouldn't run around saying you have lab diamonds. However, if asked, then in both cases I'd have no issues admitting they aren't 'natural'.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what that's got to do with your original post? Boobs were only brought up as an analogy for why you wouldn't run around telling people they were augmented, much in the same way you wouldn't run around saying you have lab diamonds. However, if asked, then in both cases I'd have no issues admitting they aren't 'natural'.

Because the argument is that natural and manmade diamonds are the same. Identical except for origin. Analogy compares real boobs to implants which are not the same bc of maintenance issues. They are not identical. Not the same. Anyhow. This topic was moved to this forum. I’ve lost interest in the question. I’ve come to the realization that I have never explored this forum before and wouldn’t have had I not posted this question on RT.

Last edited:

Antique Chic

Shiny_Rock
They are diamonds, but mined diamonds will always be more desirable than lab created diamonds - hence the price difference and the psychologial imperative to either disclose or hope the observer presumes "mined", depending on who you are ::)

I wouldn't say mined diamonds will 'always' be more desirable. Millennials are not falling for the Debeers advertising like previous generations and many/most are even foregoing a diamond ring altogether. I think if more people knew about MMD, most would choose to have a better quality, larger diamond, at a lower price, especially if it is arguably more eco-friendly and conflict-free. Just my 2 cents. :saint:

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's nobody's business what my diamond is or is not. It's nobody's business how I choose to live my life and how I choose to spend my money. It's nobody's business if I choose to have children and why or why not and how I choose to have those children.

If I choose to share my personal business that is up to me completely. Not because I feel I have to or have an obligation to share and divulge.

myob.gif

Agreeeee!! I love mmd’s. And, my last er had a moissanite as its center. Did people compliment it? Absolutely. But never in the years I wore it did they ever ask if it was real or created. And quite frankly, its no one’s business. I was happy I had a beautiful ring given to me by someone who loved me. Do I also love the mined diamonds I wear every day? Absolutely. I wear a pair of simple studs that were a gift and my pendant from WF that was my 10k gift from MANY years ago.. and its gorgeous, actually still the more beautiful diamond I own.

Having said all that.. I don’t tell people hey see my mined diamonds? Sheer silliness.

Kandie

Rough_Rock
Agreeeee!! I love mmd’s. And, my last er had a moissanite as its center. Did people compliment it? Absolutely. But never in the years I wore it did they ever ask if it was real or created. And quite frankly, its no one’s business. I was happy I had a beautiful ring given to me by someone who loved me. Do I also love the mined diamonds I wear every day? Absolutely. I wear a pair of simple studs that were a gift and my pendant from WF that was my 10k gift from MANY years ago.. and its gorgeous, actually still the more beautiful diamond I own.

Having said all that.. I don’t tell people hey see my mined diamonds? Sheer silliness.

pammbw

Rough_Rock
I know this thread has about run its course but it has been quite interesting with the twists and turns of ivf and implants! Good reading over my morning coffee. I own mined diamonds, and will buy mmd in the future. Yes I would identify mmd if asked but like others have said most people don't care and their eyes glaze over with boredom if I start rambling on about gems, lol.
I own plenty of CZ fashion jewelry just like every other woman out there and if anyone asks, I happily disclose exactly what it is and where to get it.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, late to the thread as usual.
I would tell "Diamond" people such as PSers if I got a MMD, but to the rest of the world, they probably wouldn't ask or care, and I'll let them think what they want to think.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought a MMD from Miadonna and I will be more than happy to tell people its MM.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought a MMD from Miadonna and I will be more than happy to tell people its MM.

I skim-read that and thought you'd written that you'd bought an MMD from Madonna... LOL :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I think of someone was really adoring it I would feel the need to tell them... but that’s just me... Especially if it was an impressive piece. That way they can in or they can have one too without the assumed expense.
I wouldn’t want anyone assuming about my pieces but at the same time if I admired something and they told me it was lab created I would appreciate it. If I see a huge rare naturally mined gem I understand how rare they can be and it make it much more of a treasure.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think most people I know would not even be aware or understand what MMD’s are. They may think fake diamond stimulant, CZ etc. In that light I would tell them or allow them to believe it is a real diamond...because it is! But I wouldn’t get into the process. There are a few people who, like me, may really appreciate that actual diamonds can now be grown in a lab and I would be willing to discuss the process more.
I have both natural diamonds and a moissanite travel ring and no one has ever asked if anything I was wearing was real. Now I need a MMD to really know for sure. :lol:

@Daisys and Diamonds I do know some people who would ask about money/cost even if they wouldn’t ask if it was real. I never indulge those questions and would likely have a snarky response that would end the conversation.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to point out that this thread is originally from December of last year.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:lol:

I just figured the conversation was still relevant but hey I like your idea better!! (((Stuffs banana peels in the flux capacitor)))

I quite often see old threads on the front page and dont realize they are old - sometimes more than just a couple of years old ! :doh:
But if i have 'new' sparkle to look at all is not lost !

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updating, I now own about 7 MMD and I would happily tell anyone who asked how to save money on diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results