shape
carat
color
clarity

If you have the chance to start again, what would be your choice of engagement ring?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@stc715 ohh I’m not the only one, now I don’t feel like a complete jerk. Lol.

My fiancé accidentally broke my finger last week, pretty bad. I sent him the link to a necklace I want. He didn’t buy it. A few days ago he cut his finger doing yard work and I told him he should have bought me the necklace, he didn’t make the universe karma whole. :lol-2:

Maybe I have a chance for the next anniversary since he has the link. Fingers crossed…. Ohh wait.

You cracked me up when you said fingers crossed! :lol:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain. When my husband brought home a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings that looked like peacocks settled on my ears..we had to have a talk..I had to be very gentle because he’s so sensitive. The talk was in my forties. I started going with him to pick things out...Now that I’m older he gives me mad money to get what I want. I wore him down...:lol:

Our relationship is nearly three decades old, so we had many gentle talks.
Last Xmas I was really moved to tears not only by the gesture but also by the amount of money he spent; yet the diamond is bad cut and I don't wear it.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy 3 Erings if I had to do it over again. A big old honking transitional cut diamond, a big Peruzzi cut diamond and a lab grown travel ring. :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
He gets excited by the idea of surprising me.
I get scared at his surprises, because he usually gets the wrong gift.

My husband tried again a few holidays ago..He didn’t get me jewelry..He got me gold dipped roses..They are real roses preserved with a clear ceramic or something..When I found out how much they cost I almost died..I deleted the photos or I would attach them. The photos are on PS somewhere. They are so tacky…When we move..hopefully soon…I’m going to throw them out so he won’t notice because of the confusion..

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
My husband tried again a few holidays ago..He didn’t get me jewelry..He got me gold dipped roses..They are real roses preserved with a clear ceramic or something..When I found out how much they cost I almost died..I deleted the photos or I would attach them. The photos are on PS somewhere. They are so tacky…When we move..hopefully soon…I’m going to throw them out so he won’t notice because of the confusion..

I saw them: you posted them in the ugliest/kitchest holiday gift thread...

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

I found them!
874392-8e3dd1bdcdc19d030c8365f50725318a.jpg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
If I had the chance to start it a again, it will be easier for me to get another husband than to get another ring: husband failed both with e-ring and anniversary/big birthday ring because he likes to choose by himself in order to surprise me (inserting mixed emoticons to express all my mixed feelings ) :shock::(:roll::-oo_O:knockout::wall:

Just to clarify: I love my husband, he's a really good man with a lot of qualities and our relationship is nearly 30 years old.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Our relationship is nearly three decades old, so we had many gentle talks.
Last Xmas I was really moved to tears not only by the gesture but also by the amount of money he spent; yet the diamond is bad cut and I don't wear it.

Ok crazy question but how about getting it secretly recut to ideal parameters? And then re-set?

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Ok crazy question but how about getting it secretly recut to ideal parameters? And then re-set?

Interesting point of view, but I should wait till husband's memory loss because he's very sensitive about this diamond's topic: he's open to an exchange for a better cut, but he also stated I can sell it or do whatever I want only after his death.
Back story: my husband got a 1.7 ct F If ExExEx according to HRD certificate (the most regarded diamond lab here in Europe) from a loca jeweller ; I don't feel comfortable talking about the price because it's really a lot of money (if someone is interested, just search through the recommened diamond sites and add 22% VAT).
As soon as I read the certificate, I asked my husband to return the diamond and to get another one; I printed the PS recommended parameters and gave them to the local jeweller: two months ago the jeweller found a rough diamond which could be cut at "my percentages" but husband should add 10 k Euros because the final product would be over 2 ct F If; husband was willing to accept because his original plan was getting two carats (the local jeweller couldn't provide 2 ct in time for Xmas), but I refused and asked the jeweller to continue the research.

It's a deep diamond with weird crown and pavillon: it faces like 1.5 ct, so I think the carat loss would be not less than 0.2 ct.
Again, husband is only open to exchange for a better cut, but he's not willing to get a stone that weights less than the diamond he got.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad my ex-hubby allowed me to choose my own E-ring based on an agreed budget back the mid 90s.

DK :))

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Errata: LOCA jeweller
Corrige: LOCAL jeweller

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to clarify: I love my husband, he's a really good man with a lot of qualities and our relationship is nearly 30 years old.

The same @purplesilk. My husband is a wonderful man. We’ve been married longer than a lot of you girls are alive..but he doesn’t have any taste in gifts that I can tell. Haha

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
To answer the question: if I had the chance to start it all again, perhaps I'd change the metal (platinum instead of yellow gold); my choice would still be a 3 mm band with a small diamond, because I'd love to wear the same ring to remind me of both engagement and marriage.
images.jpeg-5.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain. When my husband brought home a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings that looked like peacocks settled on my ears..we had to have a talk..I had to be very gentle because he’s so sensitive. The talk was in my forties. I started going with him to pick things out...Now that I’m older he gives me mad money to get what I want. I wore him down...:lol:

Wow you guys are very patient. I wore my husband down before we even tied the knot :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow you guys are very patient. I wore my husband down before we even tied the knot :lol:

Both my ex-husband and my late partner would give me a budget for me to go and buy what I like, as they knew I have very strong personal tastes.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
To answer the question: if I had the chance to start it all again, perhaps I'd change the metal (platinum instead of yellow gold); my choice would still be a 3 mm band with a small diamond, because I'd love to wear the same ring to remind me of both engagement and marriage.
images.jpeg-5.jpg

Instead I got a three row pave half diamond band: prongs were bigger than diamonds, each diamond was under half point and diamonds were very dull.
Something like this
823384-e654bc6ea191c2d6cf4bb3ac79e1180a.jpg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Both my ex-husband and my late partner would give me a budget for me to go and buy what I like, as they knew I have very strong personal tastes.

Husband knows I also have very strong personal tastes and prefer to choose by myself, but sometimes he looses the track and tries the big surprise effect.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
we lucked out finding the stone for my solitaire but if i had to start again and couldn't find something similar i'd go with the ring i have in moissy - rectangular stone with tapered sides

mamabee i think you might need both :lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
we lucked out finding the stone for my solitaire but if i had to start again and couldn't find something similar i'd go with the ring i have in moissy - rectangular stone with tapered sides

mamabee i think you might need both :lol-2:

Enabler! :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I just switched from a FLY radiant to my EC. If I had to switch again I would look at getting a 3-4ct OEC or maybe a 4ct vintage EC. I wouldn't be able to wear a band though. There's barely enough room for one right now.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I acknowledge my own preferences have changed over the years. :shifty:

I didn't love my original one with my ex BUT we were young, poor and I genuinely appreciated his efforts. Originally I had a ruby solitaire ring (likely treated etc) then when I lost that ;( he replaced it some years later with a small Princess cut diamond.

(I just ended up creating my own gemstone rings as he didn't really take much interest in my hobby...)

If I had to start again I would hope/aim for it to be closer to my taste - coloured gemstone, step cut, rose or white gold with diamond sides. Something sleek but interesting!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I loved reading everyone’s journeys.
I re-set my 2.64 MRB original E-ring into a rhr with big halo and now I love it again.
I bought a big 3.10 carat elongated cushion solitaire for myself that I wear on my left hand and it’s gorgeous but I keep hankering for an EC or Asscher.
I feel as if I have good company here wanting an EC…a lot of you indicate you gravitate more toward step cuts as our jewelry taste matures.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about this thread the other day.

I genuinely think in real life that if I got married again I wouldn’t bother with an engagement ring specially.

I have so many rings and I wear them interchangeably on whichever fingers fit them. Today I’m wearing a sapphire on my engagement finger with a curved Art Deco style band. Neither one is my original wedding or engagement ring.

I think if I got remarried I would have to use one of my current rings. Or a candy one. Otherwise I might feel obliged to never wear any other ring on my left hand ring finger. And I don’t think I could commit to that!

Alternatively my future fictional next husband would have to give me something which blows all my other rings so far out of the water as to make it unthinkable for me to ever want to wear anything else. I then need to make sure I am going to marry a multi-millionaire, with the most exceptional taste plus a willingness to search the world for the ring to rule them all…. If you find a man like that please let me know!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about this thread the other day.

I genuinely think in real life that if I got married again I wouldn’t bother with an engagement ring specially.

I have so many rings and I wear them interchangeably on whichever fingers fit them. Today I’m wearing a sapphire on my engagement finger with a curved Art Deco style band. Neither one is my original wedding or engagement ring.

I think if I got remarried I would have to use one of my current rings. Or a candy one. Otherwise I might feel obliged to never wear any other ring on my left hand ring finger. And I don’t think I could commit to that!

Alternatively my future fictional next husband would have to give me something which blows all my other rings so far out of the water as to make it unthinkable for me to ever want to wear anything else. I then need to make sure I am going to marry a multi-millionaire, with the most exceptional taste plus a willingness to search the world for the ring to rule them all…. If you find a man like that please let me know!

+1 to all that

My new ring will be from JAR.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results