shape
carat
color
clarity

If you have the chance to start again, what would be your choice of engagement ring?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was married once, now divorced, and am not planning to walk down the aisle ever again, as I am happily single.

I have always worn a ring on my left hand ring finger since I was very young, starting with a diamond and Sapphire band that my mum gave me (I found that ring recently and it fits my pinkie!).

I am adding this to my LH ring collection, which is what I would have as an ER if I were to get married again.

The pink Sapphire was sourced for me by Jeff White during his Tucson 2020 trip just before the pandemic hit.

A quick recap of the buying/sourcing process, in case anyone is interested in his CS concierge process.

I gave him a budget and an idea what I was after. To aid decision making process, we communicated via WhatsApp and not via e-mail as it was faster.

On the day of the gem hunt, he showed me a video of a stone he found within my budget, and the colour did not suit as it was too dull and did not pop at me.

After I rejected the stone, he mentioned there was not much available within my budget, so I upped it.

He quickly went back to find the stone that he liked which was out of my original budget, and when he showed the video to me, I said yes right away after confirming he would recut it to remove the window that I could see.

The recut stone is 1.93ct, 7.08 x 7.08mm, and the colour pops at me in real life.

Here is a glamour shot from Jeff after the recut:

Pink Sapphire 1.93ct 7.08 x 7.08mm.png

The glamour shot does not do it justice, as it is more neon pink, sparkly and vibrant in real life, as can be seen in this video from Jeff, next to a small Baringo Ruby which is a pink Sapphire that he has also cut for me:

This is the ER design that I had coveted for a very long time, an Edwardian design I believe, and my version will be without millgrain and a thicker shank at the top for a chunkier look, and the melees are likely to be 4mm in size. This is also the ring design that got me hooked on air line/gap halos.

102dplat-3104-9-650-ba.jpg
This Sapphire will be my next CS to be set, with earth-mined diamonds in Platinum, as it is my most expensive CS until it is trumped by the big blue green Tourmaline that Jeff will be cutting for me from his Tucson trip last year.

How about anyone else? What ER would you choose if you were given the chance to start again please?

Thanks for reading.

DK :))

I’m far, far away from getting married or engaged right now; but I came pretty close to it last year and dithered a whole lot on my ring. I ended up veering far away from what I always thought I wanted to the ering with my ex which utilised an heirloom stone from his family (it was a ~3.4ct OEC in a double halo setting that I designed).

I think if I were to get engaged at this point I will be very firm on NOT having an heirloom stone and would go with my first love, an emerald cut (as big as we can go, I’d like a minimum of 2-2.5ct) in a simple solitaire setting (though I can see myself swinging towards a halo setting if that’s something my partner would want). But a white, flashy EC is what I would do.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m far, far away from getting married or engaged right now; but I came pretty close to it last year and dithered a whole lot on my ring. I ended up veering far away from what I always thought I wanted to the ering with my ex which utilised an heirloom stone from his family (it was a ~3.4ct OEC in a double halo setting that I designed).

I think if I were to get engaged at this point I will be very firm on NOT having an heirloom stone and would go with my first love, an emerald cut (as big as we can go, I’d like a minimum of 2-2.5ct) in a simple solitaire setting (though I can see myself swinging towards a halo setting if that’s something my partner would want). But a white, flashy EC is what I would do.

Much as I love ECs, I can't see myself having an EC diamond as an ER for some reason!

Probably because no other EC or any diamond can trump the 1.19ct EC that I bought myself for my 40th birthday to be worn as a RHR, as it has huge sentimental value and a sob story attached to it.

Much as I love ECs, I can't see myself having an EC diamond as an ER for some reason!

Probably because no other EC or any diamond can trump the 1.19ct EC that I bought myself for my 40th birthday to be worn as a RHR, as it has huge sentimental value and a sob story attached to it.

I think the reason I want an EC is because I’m in love with this ring of my mom’s, which is an EC in a gorgeous halo! I think I would want to recreate that ring for myself. Though my mom did tell me that she would give me the ring since I love it so much and she never wears it. So maybe once I get that as an RHR I won’t want an EC for an ering anymore :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is tough. I love old cuts so much. And OECs the most.
But I long for an EC. They’re so elegant and sophisticated.
ideally I need both. Unfortunately I need at least an 8 carat EC Diamond to look good on my man hands
8)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ideally I need both. Unfortunately I need at least an 8 carat EC Diamond to look good on my man hands
8)

Would you consider going down the LGD route?

The stones as seen in the recent threads on 10ct+ LGD made my heart sing, I am not going to lie!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
8)

I’m still looking @missy! :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider going down the LGD route?

The stones as seen in the recent threads on 10ct+ LGD made my heart sing, I am not going to lie!

I want to but right now I can’t get over the mind clean thing. If I can I would consider it

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love my emerald cut, if I had to do it again it would be great to find an antique emerald cut in an authentic art deco setting. Yeah that would be sweet.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would still get a modern round brilliant..I really love emerald cuts the best but they are so hard to keep from getting water spots under the table. Mine is a vvs2 so it’s clear as a drop of water…so you can see everything..I don’t take my rings off to wash my hands when I’m away from my house. The mrb is much easier..My cushion is really the best because of all the faceting. It always looks clean..

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
8)

Ditto.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking about something like this, 2.25-2.50 lab emerald cut in a yellow gold bezel. Maybe with a double band, instead of wearing a wedding band with it.
il_794xN.4110667307_jkgg.jpg

To go with my previous e-ring that I had made into a bracelet:
mb.jpg

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money being no object, I’d also like an emerald cut. I didn’t have an ER when we got married a million years ago. The only caveat is the difficulty pairing a band with a big EC.

I‘ve posted this before, a 10 ct+ that I tried on at Sotheby’s, unfortunately I didn’t take a photo under the basket that was really pretty. 631524

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would go OMC again, but maybe a tad bigger (my e-ring is 1ct OMC) but I would have a setting done in yellow gold, possibly with an old cut halo. I would have kept the setting closer to period appropriate. I may reset this ring yet for an anniversary. E16E349F-5642-44DE-8372-0A20F0C48585.jpeg

Meanwhile, I have a few e-rings I cycle through. This will sound funny, but I find the feel of rhr's bother me and I end up taking them off in a few hours. So I have a set of e-rings for the left hand I cycle through (labs and earth mined).

Last edited:

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I was married once, now divorced, and am not planning to walk down the aisle ever again, as I am happily single.

I have always worn a ring on my left hand ring finger since I was very young, starting with a diamond and Sapphire band that my mum gave me (I found that ring recently and it fits my pinkie!).

I am adding this to my LH ring collection, which is what I would have as an ER if I were to get married again.

The pink Sapphire was sourced for me by Jeff White during his Tucson 2020 trip just before the pandemic hit.

A quick recap of the buying/sourcing process, in case anyone is interested in his CS concierge process.

I gave him a budget and an idea what I was after. To aid decision making process, we communicated via WhatsApp and not via e-mail as it was faster.

On the day of the gem hunt, he showed me a video of a stone he found within my budget, and the colour did not suit as it was too dull and did not pop at me.

After I rejected the stone, he mentioned there was not much available within my budget, so I upped it.

He quickly went back to find the stone that he liked which was out of my original budget, and when he showed the video to me, I said yes right away after confirming he would recut it to remove the window that I could see.

The recut stone is 1.93ct, 7.08 x 7.08mm, and the colour pops at me in real life.

Here is a glamour shot from Jeff after the recut:

Pink Sapphire 1.93ct 7.08 x 7.08mm.png

The glamour shot does not do it justice, as it is more neon pink, sparkly and vibrant in real life, as can be seen in this video from Jeff, next to a small Baringo Ruby which is a pink Sapphire that he has also cut for me:

This is the ER design that I had coveted for a very long time, an Edwardian design I believe, and my version will be without millgrain and a thicker shank at the top for a chunkier look, and the melees are likely to be 4mm in size. This is also the ring design that got me hooked on air line/gap halos.

102dplat-3104-9-650-ba.jpg
This Sapphire will be my next CS to be set, with earth-mined diamonds in Platinum, as it is my most expensive CS until it is trumped by the big blue green Tourmaline that Jeff will be cutting for me from his Tucson trip last year.

How about anyone else? What ER would you choose if you were given the chance to start again please?

Thanks for reading.

This stone and setting inspiration are amazing and are so my taste too! I cannot wait to see you finish this!!

I have no plans of ever getting married again in my lifetime, been married for almost 27 years to this one and if it ends that's it. But if I were doing ring over now I think I would go for a cushion shaped old mine with side stones or in the Singlestone lorraine setting.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'd find an even more neon red spinel in *my* perfect shade and I would have to incorporate some chunked old cuts in there.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I would go OMC again, but maybe a tad bigger (my e-ring is 1ct OMC) but I would have a setting done in yellow gold, possibly with an old cut halo. I would have kept the setting closer to period appropriate. I may reset this ring yet for an anniversary. E16E349F-5642-44DE-8372-0A20F0C48585.jpeg

Meanwhile, I have a few e-rings I cycle through. This will sound funny, but I find the feel of rhr's bother me and I end up taking them off in a few hours. So I have a set of e-rings for the left hand I cycle through (labs and earth mined).

I am the same way about rings on the right hand, I will end up just wearing anything I want on the left hand ring finger and calling it a day

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Realistically I would love a 5+ carat emerald cut (man hands too, Missy,) but it would have to be more elongated than squared as I feel it does not look as chunky and elongates the finger. So whatever that does to performance - probably minimizes it- makes it less desirable to me. I think MamaBee’s ECthree stone is PERFECTION, and would be a great second marriage alternative for me. But, even after 35 years, I love, love, love my oval, set in plat with tapered baguettes and would do the same again….

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you posted that! I hoped I was not alone.

lol not at all, I will wear even a David Yurman ring on the left hand ring finger if I want to wear it because I just tend to not wear rings on any other finger

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I have a RB solitaire and if I could do it again, I would get either an old cut solitaire in an antique setting, or an EC 3 stone. I recently bought myself an OEC solitaire and I’m having a lab EC 3 stone set with Caysie. So apparently I’m getting engaged again, to myself, and I’m very giving haha!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoyed reading everyone's dilemmas and finding the one haha. When we got engaged I really loved asscher cuts and still do. But I would need at least a 3-5ct which would not have been affordable at the time. Then my next love is omc. Had I known about them back then, I would have nabbed one for a fraction of what they're going for now! I also do love an antique setting as well but that's so hard to come by. I think one day I may get a LG asscher cut to satisfy that itch but my priorities for old cuts are much higher on the list.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What ER would you choose if you were given the chance to start again please?

I started with a very generic 1+ ct MRB/RBC solitaire (me to her). As I learned more, I wished it had been a sapphire. So she wore a sapphire RHR for a decade and it took a bit of a beating so I am back to suggesting diamond for those who want a lifetime wear-every-day ring. We are just too tough on things in our household -- myself included.

Your ring is lovely and so is that beauty of a sapphire!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I've already cycled through a few things so I've sort of already "done it all over again" so to speak, but I burned a lot of money in the process. Like, enough to get a 2nd e-ring LOL...comme ci, comme ça :roll:

i got a bit too seduced by what other people gravitated towards, like a VIVID blue sapphire when i would've been happier with a pale cornflower, or white pearls when i prefer tahitians or SoC...things like that. took me a while to figure out my "style" in jewelry

So, i would've started with a warm, big OMC as I have now, and saved my $$ for a nice watch or a sapphire necklace.

I do really enjoy putting my OMC away for a few days sometimes, bc i appreciate it more when i see it again. So, i think a 2nd e-ring one day in platinum for rotating would be very fun and something id like to do for a big anniversary. i think a 2-3 carat, high color antique pear...maybe an OEC

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Realistically I would love a 5+ carat emerald cut (man hands too, Missy,) but it would have to be more elongated than squared as I feel it does not look as chunky and elongates the finger. So whatever that does to performance - probably minimizes it- makes it less desirable to me. I think MamaBee’s ECthree stone is PERFECTION, and would be a great second marriage alternative for me. But, even after 35 years, I love, love, love my oval, set in plat with tapered baguettes and would do the same again….

Thank you @lambskin! I’m wrestling with resetting my emerald cut three stone into a solitaire. I would probably make the side emerald cut diamonds earrings. It never ends…:wall:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you posted that! I hoped I was not alone.

Me three..but I will wear bands on my right hand..I just don‘t wear larger rings on my right hand..:think:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me three..but I will wear bands on my right hand..I just don‘t wear larger rings on my right hand..:think:

The largest ring I shall wear on my right hand is my 1.19ct EC in her forever setting, as I am not going to get another diamond, earth-mined or LGD that could trump her.

Unless I win big money on the lottery - then I shall celebrate in style and opt for a larger EC or OEC.

DK :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results