shape
carat
color
clarity

if you could re-do your kitchen...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments ladies, I wish I could say I had something to do with the planning!

DeeJay, our whole house has arched doorways, where there aren''t doors. Straight ahead from the foyer is our dining/living room and it has three huge arches.

Sundial, I love our floors too! It''s travertine and it runs through the hallways, the kitchen and the family room/bar area.

I''ll have to post a picture of my favorite part of our kitchen tomorrow, it''s too late tonight as the sun has gone down but we have an amazing view. It feels like we get to look at a new painted picture every night. LK, I''ll start a new thread so as to stop hijacking yours!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We redid our kitchen. We wanted someone to do it for us but all the contractors said "We ONLY do jobs over $100,000."
Our budget was $50,000 so we thought for sure we would find someone. NOPE; I guess only contractors want to work on dream kitchens. We ended up saving $25,000 doing it ourselves which equals NO DEBT to us. heee hee

My hubby thought "oh, I can do it myself" when we couldn''t find a contractor. I was amazed because I would be flying all over the US for work and each time I would fly home he would do the lighting, cabinets, and floors. We have lighting under the cabinets and above the cabinets. The only thing he did not do was the granite.

He even knocked a wall down so our kitchen is very open. It was very 70''s dark brown wood with formica counters.

144837661_e0e5ff7f36.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is and it is worth it. I love Dee Jay's, Kimberly's and Miranda's kitchen too!!!

Yippeee to new kitchens
36.gif
This picture does not show how it extends more to the right; there is a fridge too. I will have to take more pics. Good luck!!!!

215454405_c209aba67c.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 7:39:41 PM
Author: Mara
oh miranda i love your kitchen!! i am not really a fan of white in kitchens because it always seems so old fashioned and hard to keep clean but i think that is the trend lately right and when done it''s just STUNNING...like yours!! and i love your dining table and how it''s a direct contrast to all the white. yum.

kimberly i love yours too. i love big open spaces, and DJ your kitchen is divine as well. our kitchen looks somewhat like that brochure picture you posted DJ, i have posted pictures of it in the past. maple cabinets, and dark brownish gray green granite on the countertops..black appliances, island with wrought iron chairs. i still love it and it is very usable (our island is a clutter collector too but when cleared off is a great space for entertaining with appetizers/foods etc)..but of course one could always improve, hehee. aka double ovens!
Thanks Mara. I''ve never been a white cab. fan, but, they were standard and it would''ve been $15,000+ to upgrade to a woodstain. They also flow well with the exterior of the house...I''m a little kookoo about that.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 10:21:13 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 1/2/2007 7:39:41 PM
Author: Mara
oh miranda i love your kitchen!! i am not really a fan of white in kitchens because it always seems so old fashioned and hard to keep clean but i think that is the trend lately right and when done it''s just STUNNING...like yours!! and i love your dining table and how it''s a direct contrast to all the white. yum.

kimberly i love yours too. i love big open spaces, and DJ your kitchen is divine as well. our kitchen looks somewhat like that brochure picture you posted DJ, i have posted pictures of it in the past. maple cabinets, and dark brownish gray green granite on the countertops..black appliances, island with wrought iron chairs. i still love it and it is very usable (our island is a clutter collector too but when cleared off is a great space for entertaining with appetizers/foods etc)..but of course one could always improve, hehee. aka double ovens!
Thanks Mara. I''ve never been a white cab. fan, but, they were standard and it would''ve been $15,000+ to upgrade to a woodstain. They also flow well with the exterior of the house...I''m a little kookoo about that.
Miranda, my parents'' house hadn''t been updated since it was built in the 60''s when they purchased it and they choose to do white cabines with dark green granite, the cabinets are just like yours and it''s truly stunning. My dad hung them himself and couldn''t believe how difficult it was but I just adore their new kitchen.

Skippy, your granite is amazing, it''s like a tiger!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You guys did a terrific job on your kitchen Skippy! Love those countertops!!! Are your cabinets hickory by any chance? That''s what we used in our kitchen and the wood looks very similar.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are a light Cherry wood by Kraftmaid. I know those pan drawers look hickory, but they said they will darken to be more even. I love hickory too! Thanks Sundial; you are always so sweet my fellow NM.
12.gif

Kimberly, I never thought about tigers, but you are right. I think they are pretty different and cool. thanks.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
all of your kitchens are beautiful. Our current kitchen had been renovated when we moved in, but there isn''t enough counter space or cabinets. we''re moving in the spring or else I''d want to remodel it again so it flows better. Our house before this one had double ovens and I LOVED them. I really miss having them now and hope our next house will have them again..

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love everyone''s kitchens!!!

Well, it''s been so long, I don''t even remember what the new house''s kitchen looks like, but I know it has black granite counters and backsplash with a matching island and I think cherry colored cabinets with black appliances, but that''s all I can remember. Oh, and high hats.
I am not much of a cooker actually, so the doulbe ovens might not work for me, but I wouldn''t mind the double stoves when I have really large pots to cook.

The house I am getting does have the extra kitchen in the basement, so I can always use those downstairs if I really need the space, although it will be a pain in the butt going back and forth. I did mention to my husband that I might just cook downstairs for parties that way I don''t make my main kitchen messy.
2.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, you all have such gorgeous kitchens and homes! I don''t suffer from DSS, but I am totally suffering from kitchen envy right now! We live in a tiny condo with a tiny kitchen, and my dream is to one day have a kitchen that more than two people can stand side-by-side in ... oh to dream
2.gif

More kitchen photos please!! I need my ****.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, can i ask what States you guys are in? I'm just curious!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MMM! Sunny New Mexico (same state Sundial and Belle live in)!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well darnit, I have to say for our very tiny little dollhouse kitchen, I would reface the cabinets and have them all painted white to add some visual space...no never mind, I would just knock the entire thing out and redo it completely. In white. LOL! We don''t plan to stay in our house (we''ve been here for almost 3 yrs, when we moved in were only planning to stay for 2 but the housing bust came), so now we''re between a rock and hard place deciding on whether to remodel or leave it as is... As is is fine, everything is new-ish and in working order but a tad outdated as far as the countertop and tile floors. The space is maybe 12 by 15, though, so instead of our original birchwood, stained cabinetry (which is gorgeous, I might add), I would definitely reface with white and have new hardware installed, as well as new stainless appliances and new countertop.

My dream kitchen is simply to have my mother''s. Although I have no pics, she has a Dutch Colonial 5,600 square foot home that is just gorgeous through and through, kitchen included. In the kitchen, she has walnut original cabinetry, (dark stained), a double built-in oven surrounded by the same brick that is on the outside of their home, a beautiful butcher block island and bar going right into their breakfast room...AHHH, it is the envy of all who enter. Yeesh. She''s always coming up with ways to improve it, but so far has only to change the wallpaper and tile about 6 times, and has had that beautiful butcher block island covered with ceramic tile, unfortunately. every time DH and I are there she is telling us not to lean on it so we don''t break the tiles...blech. It kills me. Her range is one of those flat things that has a chimney for a hood (no kidding, it does lead into one of their three chimneys), but she still has some crap ass Revereware pots and pans from Target even though we always offer to buy her new, more expensive and updated ones...she doesn''t even use the new dishwasher that was installed 2 yrs. ago.... forget it. It makes me ill just thinking and typing about it. She has a great kitchen that most women/people would salivate over.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How funny! Our new house has white cabs and I was really wanting to replace them. Now I am second guessing it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2007 2:40:45 AM
Author: monarch64

My dream kitchen is simply to have my mother's. Although I have no pics, she has a Dutch Colonial 5,600 square foot home that is just gorgeous through and through, kitchen included. In the kitchen, she has walnut original cabinetry, (dark stained), a double built-in oven surrounded by the same brick that is on the outside of their home, a beautiful butcher block island and bar going right into their breakfast room...AHHH, it is the envy of all who enter. Yeesh. She's always coming up with ways to improve it, but so far has only to change the wallpaper and tile about 6 times, and has had that beautiful butcher block island covered with ceramic tile, unfortunately. every time DH and I are there she is telling us not to lean on it so we don't break the tiles...blech. It kills me. Her range is one of those flat things that has a chimney for a hood (no kidding, it does lead into one of their three chimneys), but she still has some crap ass Revereware pots and pans from Target even though we always offer to buy her new, more expensive and updated ones...she doesn't even use the new dishwasher that was installed 2 yrs. ago.... forget it. It makes me ill just thinking and typing about it. She has a great kitchen that most women/people would salivate over.

Monarch, the happy hubby wants to know if he can come spend some time cooking in your mother's kitchen! (He promises not to lean on the tiles of the butcher block.
2.gif
)

ETA: We're in Illinois.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 11:01:21 PM
Author: moremoremore

oh, can i ask what States you guys are in? I''m just curious!
We live in southern California.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 11:01:21 PM
Author: moremoremore

oh, can i ask what States you guys are in? I''m just curious!
So Cal here, too.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
All of your remodeled kitchens are truly gorgeous.

What I have found is it''s the little things that make the most difference in the functional use of the kitchen. That narrow space to put cookie sheets like Lady Kemma suggested, the easily organized pantry space, the right work "flow." I''ve been in several stunning kitchens that didn''t have the details right for actually using them. So, if I were going to redo my kitchen (which is no where close to as large and lovely as the ones posted) I would concentrate more on the functional issues...making it really work for the way I cook and the stuff I own. I honestly like a lot of the IKEA concepts for organizing...the upper cabinets that open upwards rather than 2 doors. The open shelving for frequently used items etc. And most importantly the lighting. I think lighting can make or break a kitchen.

Although granite countertops and custom hardwood cabinets are lovely and beautiful, I''d rather spend my money on outfitting the interiors of all the cabinets with organizational goodies so that my kitchen is easy to use.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow! your kitchens are stunning! and what vision you guys have!!

we are looking to buy or build a home. i was wondering about stainless appliances. for those who have them, do you LOVE them? or whould you go a different route? we have all white appliances like the coffee pot, toaster, etc. lots of the new homes we are looking at have all black appliances like the stove, fride, dishwasher, etc. i was thinking of going the stainless route if available.

also, there''s the flat topped stove to consider. in theory it sounds good. i''ve heard though that you can''t use cast iron skillets on them. anyone have any experience?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
jcrow--I have one of the flat topped stoves. I love the ease of cleaning it and the fact I can really use it as "extra" counter space. But cooking on them is definitely different. The burners stay hot forever after I turn them off so I have to be really careful to remove the pot rather than leaving it sit on the burner. Adjusting heat up or down is slow to respond so if something is boiling too much, turning down the heat doesn''t have an immediate impact...I often have to remove the pot to a different location then remember to put it back on the burner after a few minutes (so the burner had time to reduce heat). I''ve had electric stoves before so I was used to the slow changes compared to gas, but the smooth top is very slow to cool off even compared to other electric stoves.

I can''t use the cast iron skillets either but that hasn''t been a huge issue for me.

Can''t add comments on the stainless. I didn''t like how the stainless easily got fingerprints when I bought my stove 3 years ago so I went with bisquit. I think there are some new coatings that help with the fingerprint issues for stainless now.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:48:47 AM
Author: jcrow
wow! your kitchens are stunning! and what vision you guys have!!

we are looking to buy or build a home. i was wondering about stainless appliances. for those who have them, do you LOVE them? or whould you go a different route? we have all white appliances like the coffee pot, toaster, etc. lots of the new homes we are looking at have all black appliances like the stove, fride, dishwasher, etc. i was thinking of going the stainless route if available.

also, there''s the flat topped stove to consider. in theory it sounds good. i''ve heard though that you can''t use cast iron skillets on them. anyone have any experience?
I''ve had fake stainless steel and real stainless steel, when it''s real it''s easier to clean, although it does get lots of fingerprints so you have to be a)willing to wipe your appliances down fairly frequently or b)someone who just doesn''t care about that.

I''ve also had a flat topped stove/electric stove, I hate cooking on electric and was thrilled to return to gas. I actually find my gas stove easier to clean. Leave a pot or pan on electric too long just once and you have burn marks. I could never get the darn thing clean.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i was checking out the whirlpool site, since that''s what i''ve seen in nearly every home we''ve looked at, and they do make a finish called satina. it''s like satinless, but with less fingerprints and a couple of other "pluses," but i didn''t see that they had the finish available for all appliances. it seemed only available for the fride.

very interesting regarding the glass stove top. we have a number of le creuset pots, so i guess that would be a no go.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
got another kitchen question.

do you prefer an open kitchen (open to the living room & dining room) or a separate kitchen?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
jcrow--I don''t know if the La Creuset pots are allowed or not. I would definitely check that one out before you buy. Honestly, if I had it to do again, I''d pay the money to run the gas line and get a gas stove. I like the the control of gas much better than electric.

Open vs. separate. That''s so much a matter of opinion. Pluses for open: ease of communication with others, creates a larger feeling space, seems to be more "in demand with buyers", great for entertaining. Minuses--mess of kitchen easily seen from the rest of the house, working around family who hangs out nearby, less formal looking, kitchen and living room design needs to be done carefully so the whole area looks good.

I''ve had both and with 2 kids and a husband I actually prefer the separate kitchen. It''s nice to get a little quiet time when I make dinner while my kids are watching TV. I can turn on the CD player and chill out instead of being in their commotion. But that''s just my personality....I require some "alone" time each day and I often only can get it while I''m cooking.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jcrow, I perfer a seprate kitchen if the space is conducive to it. The townhouse that we''re in now has floor plates of about 18'' X 50'' and on the main living floor the living room was at one end (with a bay window) and the kitchen was at the other end (with a sliding glass door out to one of the balconies). The dining area was in the middle and was dark virtually all the time so when we redid the kitchen we took the wall down to 48" to allow the light from the sliding glass doors to come through but the wall was still high enough to hid the mess in the kitchen from the other side. It has made all the difference in the world!

So, to get back to your question, I guess it depends on the light and how the floor plan flows more than anything else.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Our kitchen is open to the family room/breakfast area/bar but you can''t see it from the dining room/living room. I prefer the openness as I love big airy spaces and the ability to talk to my hubby/guests if they''re hanging out while I''m cooking. I really don''t care about the mess, but I''m a clean as I go sort of cook so it never gets too messy.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum, 2 for 2 on separate kitchens. i think i'd like the separate kitchen as well b/c once dinner is done, you can continue to entertain rather than be stuck cleaning right then and there. i think it'd be easier on the eye too. less clutter it would seem. not that the kitchen would be cluttered, but that the whole space in general would have more stuff going on in it with an open floor plan. also, of the homes i've seen, it seems that with the separate kitchen, the kitchens were actually bigger. i know that's not always the case though. there seemed to be more space for more cabinets or whatever.

on the other hand, when entertaining i wouldn't want to be all alone. ya know? i'd want to feel a part of the action. can't have it all i guess.

eta: oops, looks like i took a while posting. so now it's 2 to 1.
9.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I currently have an enclosed kitchen in our apt...I always had an open one in the past...and I really miss the open kitchen. The key is having a "bar" that is high enough to hide things from the other rooms. But I love to cook and have people over and well everyone always ends up in the kitchen and kind of in the way. So with the open concept people can still "be in the action" but be more comfortable and out of the way of the cook.

ETA: One of the things I'm looking for in a house is an open kitchen.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our new house has an open kitchen (but also a seperate formal dining room). I am really excited about it. Like apple said we have the high bar that I think will help hide the mess from the family room.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We made ours so it is open. It use to be closed off. It makes it easy for conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results