shape
carat
color
clarity

if the only dumb question is the question not asked ....hearts and arrows ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive been hanging around here a bit latelly trying to pick up bits and pieces of info and enjoying the scenery and conversation
but for the life of me i can't work out hearts and arrows :whistle:
can some kind soul explain slowly without using too many big words what exactly hearts and arrows are

thank you kindly in advance

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A much more simple answer:
When a round brilliant diamond is cut to a specific range of proportions and put under a h&a scope how well the facets optical align with each can be judged by the quality of the h&a image.
Think of a diamond as an bunch of mirrors how well aligned the mirrors are to work together the higher the optical symmetry.

By accident it was discovered when round brilliant diamonds of certain proportions when optically aligned gave a hearts and a arrows image under a 2 colored scope and a marketing term was born.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest thing to remember is if someone claims a diamond is h&a or super-ideal is to say prove it and provide the images.
There are no industry standards for either and both can be and are abused.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The biggest thing to remember is if someone claims a diamond is h&a or super-ideal is to say prove it and provide the images.
There are no industry standards for either and both can be and are abused.
@Karl_K I have heard “along the way” that some diamonds that are cut to H & A are not necessarily the best performers... true?
And I’ve also heard that a diamond not of H & A can still be of ideal quality (“ideal” defined different by different people, but not a “dog”)... your thoughts on this?
Summary: That a diamond not H & A can be a good performer, but being H & A doesn’t guarantee it... valid points or misinformation?
Thank you!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K I have heard “along the way” that some diamonds that are cut to H & A are not necessarily the best performers... true? true
And I’ve also heard that a diamond not of H & A can still be of ideal quality (“ideal” defined different by different people, but not a “dog”)... your thoughts on this? true
Summary: That a diamond not H & A can be a good performer, but being H & A doesn’t guarantee it... valid points or misinformation?
Thank you!!! true

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K When would a h&a not be a good performer? Would it have to do with depth?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K I have heard “along the way” that some diamonds that are cut to H & A are not necessarily the best performers... true?
And I’ve also heard that a diamond not of H & A can still be of ideal quality (“ideal” defined different by different people, but not a “dog”)... your thoughts on this?
Thank you!!!
As Karl has already responded, this is true. More here on H&A including a discussion of the benefits of top cut craftsmanship.
"And while the level of craftsmanship required to create H&A is also an indication that a cutter is aiming for top performance, it is quite possible to achieve optical symmetry in a diamond with less than optimal proportions. Some proportion sets can result in light leakage and other performance deficits, even when optical precision is excellent. Achieving both simultaneously is the concept behind the “super ideal”."
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts-and-arrows-diamonds.aspx

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K When would a h&a not be a good performer? Would it have to do with depth?
Mainly the crown and pavilion angles not working well together or the pavilion being to shallow for a ring.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
H&A was initially a very interesting and charming accidental component of cutting. It is present to varying extents in a good number of round diamonds with better symmetry. When someone creates a tool, a viewer, to display H&A, it tuned out to be a marketing success. Those who really seek to promote the very finest round cut diamonds have gone to great lengths to make the creation of their defined H&A appearances very sharp, precise and highly refined. Such diamonds stand out from the crowd not just because of their finely defined H&A, but because of the tremendous extent of their cut quality and precision. H&A are part of their marketing, but the goal of such cutting is far more minute, refined and engineered to create an aura of perfection.

A relatively tiny portion of the diamond consumer market seeks the very finest cut diamonds. Many people, because of their budget or their slightly less demanding requirements, compromise a tiny bit and choose to buy simply a generic AGS000 without a further pedigree, or they compromise a bit more and purchase a GIA3X. Most casual observers would not see a difference of importance, but the special customer who wants ultimate in perfection is concerned not with what others see, but with perfection itself, in the abstract.

H&A is an integral element in the romance side of what makes a particular diamond the "one" for each individual who sees that element as important. Understanding that one type of diamond does not suit everyone is part of the large picture of the diamond business. Dealers look for niche products along with products with broader appeal based on special compromises or more realistic financial costs. So, not every H&A is the same. You need to look deeper to see when H&A has real meaning.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Daisy, you have asked great questions Thanks for asking them. I didn't know this either, and never thought to ask.

Dear trade folks, thank you!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@oldminer this is the best “description” of the “lay of the land” I have read. It should be the opening “statement” for participation in this forum. Sadly, there are both consumers AND retailers that just have not been enlightened (i.e., educated). It is a shame that more consumers are not aware of this as I believe consumers are willing to pay for something if they recognize the value in it, which could easily be accomplished via education (hence, this website... that, unfortunately, is not far reaching enough... but getting there!). But for those in the trade - the retailers - there is no excuse for them not being informed and “up to speed”, and readily offering their clientele a quality product.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you for your replies all
i am digesting the info

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@oldminer you gave a great synopsis of H&A! :clap:

And @headlight you are correct in the fact the vast majority of buyers are uneducated about buying diamonds. In many ways I find it odd because most people get married and most people buy a diamond at some size and capacity so a good portion of the population is exposed to buying.

I am thankful for forums like this and select vendors that go out of their way to seek greatness and educate others along the way.

The past few months my personal and work life has been rather demanding and I am looking forward to being back here and able to learn more myself and also pay it forward by helping others learn too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results