shape
carat
color
clarity

If money were no object, what would your dream job be?

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you Hayley! It is actually a hobby of mine. My students always commented how great it was to have a teacher who truly loved their subject matter.

A passionate teacher makes all the difference in the world! One such teacher of mine was the reason I taught for years before I had kids.

No joke, though: that astronomy class was so mind-blowing to me that I once explained (in simple terms :lol:) black holes and neutrinos to my sophomores as tangential metaphors to a love poem we were studying.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those of the kind of teachers that can change us and we will remember forever.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would work for a high end jeweler.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Documentary flim maker

P

PierreBear

Fun thread! I'm not sure I can pick just one thing. I would find joy in working in a bakery, smelling all the delicious goods that come out of the oven. Or working at a gym, helping people get fit and have healthy life styles. Or working for a nursery, caring for plants if only I wouldn't get bit by mosquitoes. Food critic as someone said above would be a dream as well. Oh gosh how about an interior/landscape decorator, working with Joanna and Chip or some other HGTV show.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh how about an interior/landscape decorator, working with Joanna and Chip or some other HGTV show.

Oh gosh, that's a good one! Sign me up for Demo Day! :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always tell me DH that if I won the lottery, I'd open an animal rescue. I'd love to be able to play with cats and dogs all day. Of course, I'd leave the pooper-scooper type jobs to my employees / volunteers...money is no object, after all. :twisted:

Other than that, I like Jambalaya 's idea of anonymous yet filthy-rich aristo.

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
Geologist/Gem finder.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to guard the British Crown Jewels (the proverbial fox guarding the henhouse).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- a geneticist
- an archeologist

or, I could combine the two...

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh this is a tough one for me but it would be one of three:

1. Make and sell organic products (lotions/hair products/washes/cleaning products, etc)
2. Own/operate a local kinda divey bar with a nice beer selection and great food (with a focus on veggie options!)
3. Forgo actually working entirely and just become an alcoholic lol

I think I'd be pretty happy doing any of those things. :))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A professional couch potato.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My dream job changes often lol
Right now it is owning and running a machine shop that does free* work for open source projects or makers doing personal projects.
*cost of materials only.
or:
Running a not for profit maker space offering the same services.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be a professional international tourist :mrgreen:

I'd even be willing to blog about all of my adventures and provide photos!! Anyone interested in funding this for me? ;-)

Natalie222

Rough_Rock
I would be a volunteer and help sick children cope with their deseases, and of course I'd hope to make them feel happier.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like what I do. I'm a NICU nurse and can't fathom doing anything else. Even if I was super rich I would still work at least per diem as a NICU nurse. I would love to go back to school to become a neonatal nurse practitioner at some point.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I like what I do. I'm a NICU nurse and can't fathom doing anything else. Even if I was super rich I would still work at least per diem as a NICU nurse. I would love to go back to school to become a neonatal nurse practitioner at some point.

Off topic but I am a CVICU RN that is switching specialities to a Level IV NICU unit-- any advice?

On topic:
I'd be devoting my time to animal rescue and working per diem as an RN to keep my skills up to par.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic but I am a CVICU RN that is switching specialities to a Level IV NICU unit-- any advice?

On topic:
I'd be devoting my time to animal rescue and working per diem as an RN to keep my skills up to par.
Okay. Something is wrong with my phone.
So I think bc you worked in an ICU setting you will probably have more experience than you realize. It's just tailoring it to the needs of the neonatal population.
I recommend getting NRP and Stable certified. Also the four PCEP books are wonderful resources and they just came out with new editions a few months ago. I actually just bought them all when they came out as well.
Going to deliveries the first few times is scary. Even now it can still be scary for me. You don't know what to expect and a seemingly normal delivery can go bad right away.
I recommend googling NRP mega codes or neonatal mega codes. They pretty much go step by step on what you need to do during a code. A code in the NICU is completely different than an adult code. Instead of the CPR 15:2 for two person resuscitation in infants that we are taught, it's 3:1 in NRP. The infants are super tiny and gelatinous. There's blood everywhere and doing chest compressions on these little ones causes much damage to their already delicate skin. It's actually heartbreaking. :(
Also, isolette equipment is different but luckily many of the companies put out videos as well. I even found a nice one on the waterless chest tube systems.
I'm sure you will like it though. I've only ever been a NICU nurse and parents and co-workers really appreciate you. It's a special feeling to be part of something like that. The doctors really respect what you have to say. At least that's been my experience.
I like to say that NICU nurses bring good things to life.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I had my second baby a couple months ago, and a NICU nurse who happened to be present was the reason my daughter stayed out of the NICU! My labor went quickly at the end (from my three transition contractions to her birth was under 15 minutes :-o), and they think the labor was too quick for her to have the fluid expelled from her lungs. There was no hospital staff in the room when I started pushing because things happened so suddenly, so whoever was in the hall rushed in to help; one, luckily, was a NICU nurse. When my daughter came out dark purple and struggling to breathe, she worked on her in the warmer in our room for close to an hour. It was so scary to see her struggling, but that nurse was so calm and capable, and her immediate intervention meant my daughter never needed NICU care.

I just felt like sharing because nurses are amazing, and I don't think they get the kudos they deserve :)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Okay. Something is wrong with my phone.
So I think bc you worked in an ICU setting you will probably have more experience than you realize. It's just tailoring it to the needs of the neonatal population.
I recommend getting NRP and Stable certified. Also the four PCEP books are wonderful resources and they just came out with new editions a few months ago. I actually just bought them all when they came out as well.
Going to deliveries the first few times is scary. Even now it can still be scary for me. You don't know what to expect and a seemingly normal delivery can go bad right away.
I recommend googling NRP mega codes or neonatal mega codes. They pretty much go step by step on what you need to do during a code. A code in the NICU is completely different than an adult code. Instead of the CPR 15:2 for two person resuscitation in infants that we are taught, it's 3:1 in NRP. The infants are super tiny and gelatinous. There's blood everywhere and doing chest compressions on these little ones causes much damage to their already delicate skin. It's actually heartbreaking. :(
Also, isolette equipment is different but luckily many of the companies put out videos as well. I even found a nice one on the waterless chest tube systems.
I'm sure you will like it though. I've only ever been a NICU nurse and parents and co-workers really appreciate you. It's a special feeling to be part of something like that. The doctors really respect what you have to say. At least that's been my experience.

Thank you for all your sage advice! This is the biggest reason why I am switching specialities, I want to be ushering in life! One last question: any recommendations for a stethoscope? We have micropreemies in our unit. I currently have a Littmann Master Cardiology stethoscope so I crave the same ability to hear with crystal clarity all lung sounds, heart tones, and bowel sounds.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your sage advice! This is the biggest reason why I am switching specialities, I want to be ushering in life! One last question: any recommendations for a stethoscope? We have micropreemies in our unit. I currently have a Littmann Master Cardiology stethoscope so I crave the same ability to hear with crystal clarity all lung sounds, heart tones, and bowel sounds.
You're welcome!
I have the Littmann Infant Stethoscope. There are really no other choices out there in comparison.
I would recommend first finding out if you even need to buy one. Four of the hospitals I have worked out provide a reuseable stethoscope for each new baby so you might not have to purchase one. It stays with the baby until they are discharged so there's no sharing between babies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results