shape
carat
color
clarity

If a diamond ring is 250 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wrong thread lol.

kewl ring :}

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
INCREDIBLE. What a treasure, absolutely beautiful and the history behind it. Thanks for the pictures, it is even more wonderful than I imagined. Dear Nanny!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: valeria101
If you remember, a 30 something carat fancy green-yellow of the same breed was posted a bit back on this forum.
5.gif
Kaleigh, I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought of was that ring!

I wonder if the center stone is an example of a "Peruzzi" Cut? There is an old thread about them, entitled "peruzzi cut". Richard Sherwood posted diagrams and described them. Apparently they are VERY rare....

widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Kaleigh, it''s just a gorgeous, beautiful piece. What a special gift..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2005 1:36:46 AM
Author: kaleigh

I am not going to get it appraised, was more curious as to the nature of the cut of the stones, more than anything.

Can you tell I am just as curious?

In the meantime, you may find these interesting 'matches'
5.gif

First: Link to source

Citing the description:

"English in origin circa 1750. ... over 2 carats of diamonds set in a cluster form. Each stone is an early type of single cut, not quite a table cut, not a rose cut, not yet a true brilliant cut. The center stone is approximately ½ carat in a rectangular form (all weights are approximate since depth cannot be measured only length and width; also given the uneven shapes and cuts – further difficulties arrive in exact figures). The outer stones vary from approximately .16 of a carat to .25 of a carat. They are all set in rub over setting of silver. One of the larger clusters and the total length is 9/16 of an inch across and high (1.4 cm),[and] just under ¼ inch thick (5 mm). The edges of the silver work are pinched collets (small ridges of silver around the rim). The reverse is gilt in high carat gold. It weighs a total of three (3) grams. In excellent and remarkable condition with only some wear to the gold gilt of the reverse."

Picture attached.

Second: a few Georgian 'button' rings 1780-1890 gold, and silver on gold With very much the same family feel, down to the cut down collet settings and diamond shapes.

Could it be that the diamonds are older than the setting ? Can't wait to hear the expert take on this.
38.gif

Mid18CtGeorgianCluster.JPG

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! I keep missing some threads due to the holidays but WOW Kaleigh what a treasure!!!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ana. I will take it to David Atlas when I get some free time. I am so baffled by the cut. Those pics are great. Thanks everyone for all the kind sentiments. I do love it and love looking at it. It gives me comfort.
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
OOOOhh, Lisa, it is so very beautiful!!!! What a bittersweet gift. I am so sorry you are losing your beloved grandmother, but you will always have this treasure to keep her close, and I know she''ll always be in your heart. What a wonderful ring!! I love it, and I love what it represents!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks blueroses. It was so sweet of her to give it to me. It''s the most special gift. She loves this ring, but is happy that I can wear it and keep her close.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk about a one of a kind treasure! That ring is absolutely breathtaking - I am so happy for you that you have it. While it is such a special gift to you, imagine what a gift you are to her - someone dearly loved to pass something like that on to. Best wishes to you both - she sounds like a very special lady!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
kaleigh, I''ve been following your story here...this ring is a piece of heaven in more ways than 1.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MGR and Rita. She is such a great lady, and a real pisser too. Her sense of humor is still with her although loosing her sight is greatly depressing her. She loved to read and can''t any more. I am buying her books on tape. Hopefully that will cheer her up.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an exquisite ring! I am praying for your Nanny.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you MB I appreciate that a lot.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh wow! how very unique and beautiful
3.gif

may you treasure it always
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you like it Sis. Pretty cool huh??
21.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about Grammy! What a lovely gift she gave you! I just got the new Martha Stwewart Weddings with all the rings in it and one of the vintage rings looks JUST LIKE IT. Have to find the pix for you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks deco. I need to buy that magazine. I haven''t seen it on the shelves yet. I showed it to my MIL today and she loved it.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Prayers from Cali!
17.gif
The ring is beautiful!!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kaylagee, I''m glad you like it!!!
1.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I love antique jewelry! The ring is beautiful Kaleigh!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Leila. I love antique jewelry too!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oh Lisa- look what I missed when I was at home and mostly away from ps! It''s so beautiful and even more special. I know you will treasure it always and think of your wonderful nanny.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what an awesome ring and a wonderful gift. Sorry your Nanny is not doing well. I''m sure having the ring on your hand now will give her much happiness. Can''t wait to hear what you find out from Dave Atlas.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa,

So sorry to hear about your Nanny. The ring is beautiful & so unique.

I know you will treasure it for years to come.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks icekid, diamondlil and Danielle. I really love it. It means the world to me. She is fading quickly and it''s very hard for me to watch. I love her with all my heart.
12.gif

momothree

Shiny_Rock
I know her decline must be painful to witness but it is a blessing for the both of you to be together in what may be her last days. Your love and devotion to her must surely bring her a tremendous amount of comfort.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Kaleigh! That ring is so pretty! (and H*U*G*E*)
2.gif
What a wonderful rememberance!

My mom has my grandma''s wedding band and I would love to have it as a rememberance. I do have a doll she used to play with when she was a little girl.
1.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Lisa, what a beautiful treasure from your Nanny! The ring is absolutely stunning & I know it will mean a lot to your Nanny that you will wear it & think of her & eventually pass it on to Ashley.

I''ll be keeping you & your family in my prayers during this difficult time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you pebbles, and BrightSpot. I am in awe of it. But more than it''s beauty is the sentimental value that it holds for me.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results